PDA

View Full Version : What is Monistat?

BellCat
November 25th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I have been reading alot about this but can't seem to find a definition or anything to explain what it is? all I can find is something about yeast infections. Does it really make your hair grow faster and thicker? How much does it cost and where can you get it ?

Thanks!

DTsgirl
November 25th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Monistat is an internal use cream to treat vaginal yeast infections in adult women. It comes in varying strengths and applicators and in the USA can be purchased at any drugstore or supermarket. Expect to pay between $7-$16 depending on brand, method, etc.
I have no idea how it works for hair, because there is NO WAY I will ever put on my head. Blegh. But, to each her own, and other members report some increased hair growth. There is an extensive thread that lives in the first few pages of this forum.

trillcat
November 25th, 2010, 04:53 PM
This, but why blegh?
Not like it has been in a yeasty vagina before it gets to you.
Oh she did so not just say that!
Before you all run to flame me!! I have had yeast infections, I would not wish them on my worst enemy. Its a sterile cream to treat the infection not the infection itself.

BellCat
November 25th, 2010, 05:02 PM
LOL :D ever try it on your scalp??

trillcat
November 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
LOL :D ever try it on your scalp??
No, when I did have it for the intended use, hair was pretty low on my list of things to be concerned about at that time.

danacc
November 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Monistat is a brand name. The drug it contains is miconazole.

See more here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000152. If the Monistat brand is not available in your area, you may be able to find it using the drug name.

BeautifulBella
November 25th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I think its funny that some are disgusted about using monistat on the scalp because of its intended use, its just an antifungal medication! I have used monistat and get about 1 1/2 inches of new growth each month. I love it, my scalp looks incredibly healthy & feels great.

RoseRed27
November 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
This, but why blegh?
Not like it has been in a yeasty vagina before it gets to you.
Oh she did so not just say that!

:p Ha!

I think its funny that some are disgusted about using monistat on the scalp because of its intended use, its just an antifungal medication! I have used monistat and get about 1 1/2 inches of new growth each month. I love it, my scalp looks incredibly healthy & feels great.

I think it's funny too. I bet if was intended for knees or noses or bellies, there'd be no controversy. One can actually find the active ingredient in some foot creams, and some people feel more "comfortable" buying that. I've heard that a few new hair products or scalp preparations are now using the ingredient or a similar one. Why not? there are plenty of people who are willing to spend five times the amount for the same product in a different tube. I know that some people spend $20-$30 on a specific makeup primer, when the same ingredients are available in an anti-chafe gel that costs $2. Would I rather spend the money or feel a bit silly at the register and save 30 bucks? :D

My hair grows pretty fast and I'm getting pretty good increased growth from daily scalp massages with ayurvedic oils, but am not against monistat. I wonder if I used it would my growth just skyrocket? I may look more into this.;)

Angeletti
November 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM
:p Ha!

I think it's funny too. I bet if was intended for knees or noses or bellies, there'd be no controversy. One can actually find the active ingredient in some foot creams, and some people feel more "comfortable" buying that. I've heard that a few new hair products or scalp preparations are now using the ingredient or a similar one. Why not? there are plenty of people who are willing to spend five times the amount for the same product in a different tube. I know that some people spend $20-$30 on a specific makeup primer, when the same ingredients are available in an anti-chafe gel that costs $2. Would I rather spend the money or feel a bit silly at the register and save 30 bucks? :D

My hair grows pretty fast and I'm getting pretty good increased growth from daily scalp massages with ayurvedic oils, but am not against monistat. I wonder if I used it would my growth just skyrocket? I may look more into this.;)
I agree with you, the actual ingredient is not gross so I guess the intended use for it is what puts people off. I've tried it but didn't really get any results from it. Now as previously mentioned on some threads, whale sperm and human urine are things that I would go "blegh" about, those are just nasty in general and not something I would consider putting near my hair.

BellCat
November 26th, 2010, 03:14 AM
yeah the whole vagina doesn't bother me at all! 1 1/2 inches a month??? omg i have to try this!!

Marjolein
November 26th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I wonder if most Europeans have less difficulty with the concept of using it for ones head, because the active ingredient is known here mainly for its treatment of athlete's foot, not vaginal yeast infections.

Quezie
November 26th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I would try it, but . . . it sort of has a distinct smell. I'm not sure about that part.

CrisDee
November 26th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I would try it, but . . . it sort of has a distinct smell. I'm not sure about that part.

Scent? Mine doesn't have any scent at all, maybe because I bought the generic.

But as far as its use as a growth stimulant, there's a HUUUUUGGGE thread about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=monistat

MinderMutsig
November 26th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I wonder if most Europeans have less difficulty with the concept of using it for ones head, because the active ingredient is known here mainly for its treatment of athlete's foot, not vaginal yeast infections. I've wondered about this too. It's not known as 'cooter cream' here so there is little to no controversy.

I don't get the yuck reactions. It's not like you use the same tube and slather yourself down there and then put those same unwashed hands on your head. Now that would be disgusting.

As for safety; it's meant to go in your vagina, one of the most sensitive bits of skin you have on your entire body. Anything safe and gentle enough to go down there should be perfectly safe to use on your head. Several members have consulted their family doctors or dermatologists about using it on their head (including me) and while some didn't see the point, not one of them saw anything harmful in it.

DTsgirl
November 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
"Blegh" because I can't imagine washing it out, not because of the intended use. ;) Maybe I used a weird variety when I had to use it but DUDE, it was thick and . . . Look, it there's something in it to make it cling to, um, moist surfaces. I do NOT want that in my hair! The previous posters are correct; it's just an antifungal cream, and a very effective one at that. Works better than prescription cream for ringworm, in my experience.

timallen45
December 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Do you experienced users think it would help for pattern loss all by itself?

Becky Safari
December 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Some have mentioned that using it in combination with Rogaine helps with hair loss

little_cherry
December 27th, 2010, 12:31 PM
"Blegh" because I can't imagine washing it out, not because of the intended use. ;) Maybe I used a weird variety when I had to use it but DUDE, it was thick and . . . Look, it there's something in it to make it cling to, um, moist surfaces. I do NOT want that in my hair! The previous posters are correct; it's just an antifungal cream, and a very effective one at that. Works better than prescription cream for ringworm, in my experience.
Conditioner is awesome for washing it out. I did MN several months back and was pleased with the results...may pick some more up. ;)

JuneBride
December 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I think it is hysterical how so many people are so WRONGLY grossed out about this! Whoever said it hasn't been used on a vag before you use it on your hair is right!!!

Its just cream, plain and simple!

You buy it in a sterile package and it doesn't touch anything but my scalp and YES it did work for me! But it was a little expensive so I weaned off of it. I am getting back on the bandwagon though because it is sooooo worth it!!!

Check our SuicidesEve...she is the master of MN and even made us VERY helpful videos!!!

Don't knock it, til ya try it ladies...
And the ones that are grossed out about it...well that is just psychosomatic! lol!

Maeve
December 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I've wondered about this too. It's not known as 'cooter cream' here so there is little to no controversy.

I don't get the yuck reactions. It's not like you use the same tube and slather yourself down there and then put those same unwashed hands on your head. Now that would be disgusting.

As for safety; it's meant to go in your vagina, one of the most sensitive bits of skin you have on your entire body. Anything safe and gentle enough to go down there should be perfectly safe to use on your head. Several members have consulted their family doctors or dermatologists about using it on their head (including me) and while some didn't see the point, not one of them saw anything harmful in it.

MinderMutsig, I'm Dutch too, and I wondered what brand you use and where you bought it. I read the thread but couldn't find any Monistat here, and didn't really know what I could use.

Lianna
December 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
As I see it, it's just something to kill fungus. Don't people use dandruff shampoos all the time? This one seems to report faster growth, only difference. I've used it a few times, trying to be more consistent with it. :)

I dilute it with oil or water. I just have miconazole nitrate, not the brand itself, since I'm foreign.

jojo
December 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
As a RN who has used this on both patients with ring worm on the scalp (a fungal infection) and on myself with brilliant results, i can never quite understand why people go urgh when a cream that is traditionally used for vaginal fungal infections is suggested for using on the scalp for encouraging hair growth. Fungal infections can occur anywhere including the scalp and by using this you are not going to grow a vagina on your scalp, just mealy clear any fungal infection on the scalp and allow for optimum hair growth to occur.

Try it, it does work it just gets tedious having to apply it 3 times a week!

Heres a huge thread of peoples experiences with monistat its a long read but very informative and encouraging for those wishing to try http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156

naturegirl321
December 29th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Just use Neosporin Anti fungal. Same amount of MN and not as off putting as using monistat

kwaniesiam
December 29th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I think the thing some people are concerned about is going to the drug store on a weekly or monthly basis to stock up on Monistat :gabigrin: Now THAT is certainly going to raise some eyebrows if you have the same clerk more than once :eyebrows: