PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal and Baking Soda Shampoo

CrowningGlory
November 25th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I was searching online for ideas to relieve a sore itching scalp and came across a rinse using lavender and rosemary EOs and oatmeal. Then I found a recipe for dog shampoo (yes, dog!) that used oatmeal and baking soda and I thought why not combine the two since I know that baking soda cleanses my hair and oatmeal makes my skin super soft?

I've found in the past that as long as I've added lemon or lime juice to my baking soda mix and followed with ACV that I've had no problems. I know some people think BS is especially harsh but I'm wondering if adding lemon juice - or in this case the oatmeal - lowers the ph. Any chemists who can help?

Anyway, today I made a tea using a few sprigs of lavender, 1/4 cup of rolled oats and 2 cups water. I covered it and left it for about 20 mins, strained, and then divided it in half and to one half added 1 teaspoon of baking soda.

The mix with baking soda I applied to dry roots and left for a few minutes. The mix without I just poured over my length and left that too. I then rinsed and finished with an ACV rinse.

The result? Hair that is clean, shiny and soft. Definitely not stripped at all. And my scalp doesn't feel as bad as it did earlier.

I'll be trying this again to see if I get similar results.