PDA

View Full Version : I'm feeling quite down about my hair color..

mali
November 25th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hi guys.I'm feeling kind of down about my hair color.My hair in natural lightning is really weird...It has green undertones which I hate and from what I've heard it's medium blonde,with ashy tones,sometimes it is very red in the sunlight.After a haircut,I have collected all the hair they've cut and I had to put it in my diary.That color looked like..I was a natural redhead!It was really red! And it annoys me.Golden is often mistaken for red.Well,are my roots ashy and the rest of my hair golden?Do you feel like that?Any advice?

mali
November 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Nobody feels down about their hair color? I guess I'm gonna go jump off a cliff...:(

(I'm joking! :laugh:)

spidermom
November 25th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I've noticed that ash hair colors can take on green highlights in certain lights, which I find exotically beautiful and fascinating. I've also seen pink and violet tones in ash colors under certain lights, again beautiful in my eyes. You can either do whatever it takes to enhance the shine and health of your hair, knowing there are people out there who appreciate it, or of course you can color it to something that suits you better personally.

Can you get more pictures of your hair? The few you have don't show enough of the color. I'd like to see a whole-head picture from the back.

mali
November 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the reply,spidermom!As soon as I can I will post those pictures! I never knew people could find green undertones pretty!

Fairlight63
November 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Your hair color sounds very pretty!
Sounds like the color that I was coloring my hair (Med. Ash Blonde) before I gave up & just let it go gray. I would rather have any hair color than gray, but I don't want to color it any more. It never really took anyway, in a few days it looked gray again.

UltraBella
November 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
My hair is ash blonde naturally, I just can't deal with it. I have been coloring my hair for seven years. The ashy tone against my skin tone was not flattering and it seemed really dull. It was depressing so I totally understand how you feel !!

IStand4u
November 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Your hair sounds beautiful honestly! I love how hair can be 1000 different colors all at once! Well maybe not THAT many colors but you get my point. :laugh:

My hair is an ash brown mostly, it can look kinda silvery in certain light, also has red in it as well as really dark brown and really light blonde! I would love to see some pictures!

spidermom
November 25th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I didn't like my hair color after it darkened from the sunny blonde it had been in my childhood and teen years. I tried several shades of temporary red (the kind that washes out in 6-10 washings) and thought it looked more exciting at the time, but when I see pictures, I realize how awful red colors looked with my skin tone. I also tried henna and had an immediate ICK! reaction. By the way, almost all henna-colored hair takes on green highlights in sunshine to my eyes, unless it's been done enough times to be dark red/burgandy. By the time I was in my mid-30s, I decided that my darkened shade of blonde hair was just fine, especially since my husband loved it. Now I'm getting the silvery-blonde color that I always wished I had but wasn't willing to bleach to achieve.

mali
November 25th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks everyone! Now I feel better but sometimes my hair is very red in the sunlight.After a haircut,I have collected all the hair they've cut and I had to put it in my diary.That color looked like..I was a natural redhead!It was really red! And it annoys me.Golden is often mistaken for red.Well,are my roots ashy and the rest of my hair golden?Or what?It frustrates me! I don't hate my hair color,the thing is no one ever complimented my hair! When I was little (4yrs old-up to 9) they used to compliment my hair color.But now,nobody seems to compliment it anymore...Life is hard:o

Aleria
November 25th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm sure your hair's quite pretty ^^
I have been annoyed at mine lately too, but that's more of a "dye fading/growing out and looking weird" thing.

Intransigentia
November 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Could it be that your hair comes in ashy, and then lightens/reddens in the sun as it grows? I wonder if someone who's an expert in herbal haircolour might be able to suggest something to bring up the gold while toning down the red? I've read about both cassia and catnip as gold-enhancers, but never tried it.

Demetrue
November 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Could it be that your hair comes in ashy, and then lightens/reddens in the sun as it grows? I wonder if someone who's an expert in herbal haircolour might be able to suggest something to bring up the gold while toning down the red? I've read about both cassia and catnip as gold-enhancers, but never tried it.

What she said! Hair that's been around longer, thus exposed to sun more, can pick up gold tones - also, iron or copper in your tap water can tint hair various colors.

mali
November 26th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Thanks everyone,now I know why my hair is two toned! UGH!:o

Marjolein
November 26th, 2010, 03:40 AM
It sounds like your hair color is the same as my natural color. Indoors it looks ashy. When artificial light hits it, it can look a unflattering, sickly green. And when the sun hits it, out come the golden and the red tones. Wonderful as this may sound, I never got complimented on it either. In my experience medium blonde rarely does. Not unique enough, or something?? But I've seen pictures of you, and your natural color looks wonderful on you. There, a compliment :D :p.

leslissocool
November 26th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I have to say this, even if it comes off a bit presumptive :o...

I used to be friends with this girl who's hair color was a lot like yours. It would pick up brassy red undertones, at the same time it would look dark and just green, I mean like water down Forrest green paint was on her hair. It was really interesting!

From the pictures I saw, your hair and skin looks a lot like hers. She did look better with highlights and low lights (she wasn't a big fan of dying her whole head, she just added some volume) and she did look washed out in certain light.

But one summer, when she came back from vacation and the highlights where all grown out and low lights faded. there was something about that look that made her look just so ethereal... Long story short, after a long period of me begging she decided to model for me for a painting. Believe it or not, that painting is still one of the best I've ever done, her skin tone and that color made her pop out on a canvas (and even on the photos I took, since she couldn't sit for 36 hours :( ) and I was able to play with colors in a way that was really inspiring. People still ask me to sell it and the first thing they ask me is "who is that girl?"

Almost like the girl in the pearl earing... that girl's complexion ( in the original painting) seems really similar to yours and hers. There is something about it that makes you pop out, and painters will look for for that quality in a model. You should go to a local college and volunteer to be a "face" model", and see what results from the students you get.

I did this painting when I was 16, so my technique is waaaaayyy better now that back then... But this painting is one of my favorite still... It's an amazing example of how unique your skin tone is, and how the right colors and

here is a link to my ancient deviant art that I had in high school :ohttp://linadark.deviantart.com/#/dtkh5d

KittyLost
November 26th, 2010, 04:17 AM
My natural colour is a light ashy brown and I never liked it because of the ashyness.
I wanted rich dark brown hair! To which I dye it a bit darker than my natural with warmer tones.

I know quite a few people with ashy hair and they don't like it either. :shrug:

mali
November 26th, 2010, 04:32 AM
lesslisocool,that is such a beautiful painting and thank you!