PDA

View Full Version : Longhair 35+

Speckla
November 25th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Anyone else out there. I'm past 35 years old and my hair is still growing. :)

I normally use henna but wanted something redder (faster) so I used Clairol Beautiful. No ammonia, no peroxide. No tears, no damage. :)

This is after being in a braid for 3 days.

http://images58.fotki.com/v696/photos/7/1199357/9011436/1125001219-vi.jpg

I love having grey because I get highlights for free. :cheese:

http://images58.fotki.com/v696/photos/7/1199357/9011436/000_0007-vi.jpg

Long hair makes me happy. :cheese:

jujube
November 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Very beautiful. The dye has had a cool effect.

jojo
November 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I am 41 and still growing, I am presently at waist length and praying my hair will make it to classic length. I hendigo and too have a bunch of greys which the hendigo turns a golden colour, however this does fade and my greys are grey again within a month, so it looks very natural. Though ive used lush henna but I am going to do a henna gloss this weekend a strong one, with a view to using indigo and henna next month. I love having long hair and will continue to have it regardless of peoples perception of middle aged women and long hair; I am passed worrying about others opinion.

DavidN
November 25th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Long hair is for everyone, Speckla, no matter what our age is, and I am not the youngest guy on the planet, at 57, yet I continue to grow mine!

Your braid waves are beautiful, your hair is thick and healthy, and by all means I hope you continue your long hair growing journey. Thank you for sharing.

alwayssmiling
November 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I'm 37 and would love waist length hair before I'm 40. I've never really had long hair, maybe APL briefly as a teenager. my hair is quite thick with some coarseness mixed in and was always told I should keep it short because of its frizziness. Its funny because all the women I know who are around my age are having their hair cut short whilst I'm growing mine! Its something I've always wanted but never thought would look good on me - but now I'm older I have the confidence to do what I like with my hair and hopefully the knowledge to look after it properly.

GRU
November 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Another 41yo longhair here. Being a curly, I get a lot of shrinkage, so my hair appears to be anywhere from BSL to waist-length, but in actuality I have length that hits "vertical smile" when in the shower. ;)

It's taken me decades to come to terms with my hair's texture, and I've just learned the proper care and feeding of the wild beast in the past year (thanks to LHC!), so I have no intention of going short anytime soon. Plus, my hair when short is an even wilder beast that it totally incapable of being tamedhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/whip-1.gif -- my triangle head (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/brillohead.jpg) from a dozen years ago gives you an idea of what my hair does when it's between SL and APL, so I have no desire to go shorter!

Speckla
November 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Long hair is for everyone, Speckla, no matter what our age is, and I am not the youngest guy on the planet, at 57, yet I continue to grow mine!

Your braid waves are beautiful, your hair is thick and healthy, and by all means I hope you continue your long hair growing journey. Thank you for sharing.

I agree with you 1000%. It's a longstanding joke due to what someone told me when I turned 34. They said I had such beautiful curls and should enjoy growing it out for now but I'll have to cut it when I turn 35. They said that older women and long curls look childish. I had to lol! So I joke each year that it's still there and still growing. 35 or whatever old? Um not so much. Hair knows no age as far as length.

akka naeda
November 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM
me, just.:)

I have every intention of growing my hair to my ankles, assuming the hemline remains reasonably good.

I used to use henna, but have too many white hairs now. While the highlited look is good, having a chunk of orange right next to my face wasn't, so I haven't hennaed for 2 years now, my sig is a bit out of date. I might get round to updating it in a couple of years.

Shellby
November 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
44 and growing my hair the longest it has ever been. Approaching waist! I do color, although it has been months since the last visit. I am getting more and more sparkles showing. I will color again. I am not getting the you are too old for long hair remarks from anyone yet.

spidermom
November 25th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Nearly 57 years old; hair still growing.

sibiryachka
November 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I soooo look forward to rocking long white hair. I think it looks regal.

Purdy Bear
November 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Im looking forward to getting my hair back and growing it like crazy. Im 44 nearly 45 and have no intention of having a short hairs style. In my local area all the OAPs have the same hair cut, wash and set and it drives me potty.

littlenvy
November 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM
OMG! I just realized how old I am :eek:

I found ONE white about a month ago :cheese: thou hubby had to spoil it and say it was just platinum blonde :rolleyes:
I hate my natural hair colour because its so colourless!!! But now that I may get few whites through there it will take it from bleh to yay! :eyebrows:

serious
November 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'm 49 and still growing! ( and hennaing :))

smileycat
November 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I soooo look forward to rocking long white hair. I think it looks regal.

My friend's 90 year old mother wears her long white hair in a huge bun high on her head. So stunning and regal!

37 here and a year into my growing. I feel so rebellious about it sometimes! :D

tigerlily38
November 25th, 2010, 12:17 PM
38 and will not reach goal until I am 43

GRU
November 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM
My friend's 90 year old mother wears her long white hair in a huge bun high on her head. So stunning and regal!

I was always impressed by the hairstyles of Anna Lee, who played Lila Quartermaine on General Hospital years ago:

http://jenautos.awardspace.com/soaps/ghpc/qsc/annalee.jpg

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/general-hospital/photos/195503/85529

I would love to be able to rock my long tresses like that in a few more decades! :cheese:

Xandergrammy
November 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
55 and hair still growing here! :waving:

Intransigentia
November 25th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I'd like to get to tailbone or classic, with a thick hemline, and I expect that will happen when I'm 40ish. The length might come sooner, but it will take a while to get the thickness.

Fayjoi
November 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Almost 49, and also still growing :cheese:

svehex
November 25th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I'm 38, and I'm going to let it grow until it stops. My hairdresser found my first gray hair in March, and cut it off. I have no problem growing old or getting gray. It'll come when it does. My husband got his first grays when he was 18 and is now totally gray. He's five days younger than me. I say gray hair is better than no hair. :)

UltraBella
November 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I will be 35 in July. No one had ever mentioned the need for me to cut my hair at any age. They may be thinking it, but unwilling to say it out loud to me ;)
I do not have a single grey hair, yet. Most of my friends do though. I keep waiting to find one !

Madora
November 25th, 2010, 01:27 PM
64 and happily long haired! Some of my hair is tailbone but the majority is hip length. I LOVE long hair (but always wear it up).

Anne~
November 25th, 2010, 01:40 PM
50 here. Still growing changing my routine though.

HairFaerie
November 25th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I just turned 42 and I plan on growing long and keeping it long in my "Golden Years"!

chelles2kids
November 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Another 35+ checking in! :waving:

Actually I'm 40...but turn 41 in March!!:D

Yes, I've noticed some white hairs, started noticing them around the age of 34 or so, nope, don't plan on coloring, never have...prolly never will.
Even though I've kinda flirted with the thought of Henna.:p

Currently I'm 31.5, which is getting close to waist for me...(I seriously need to change my measurements <----- since doing two big trims over the summer:o).

Glad to see so many "over 30's" here at tLHC!!:cheese:

Elenna
November 25th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Me too, I'm getting more & more silver mixed in brown. And due to changing my hair routine yet again, my wavy hair is finally waving in symphony. It is approaching goal of waistlength. I can't measure my hair right now because of a broken arm! :(

Jezerellica
November 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'm 46 and so exited my hair has grown to this length-tailbone, but it needs a trim that I'll be doing in next few days. I'm thankful I'm in a position that socially, it does not matter what I do with my hair. Rock on ladies and gents! Long last long hair!!:)

slz
November 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
39, somewhere around calf now, and wanting some more !!! I never got the "at your age ..." thing neither so far, needless to say I won't take that one happily with a straight face - don't mess with my hair ! :D

Irnann
November 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I am 47, my hair is almost at hip and i want to reach classic by turning 50.
:-)

eamane
November 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I'll be 36 in a few weeks and my hair still grows, even though it seems to have slowed a lot lately. I won't cut for years and years, my hair's going to be loooooong! :)

irishlady
November 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'm not but my mom is 47 and her hair is at bra strap length. It looks great!

Fairlight63
November 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I am 65 & my hair is almost touching waist. I didn't start growing my hair long until I was 62. I usually wear it up to wear it in different ways. Short hair is so boring you can only wear it one way. Long hair has endlesss styles.

DARKMARTIAN
November 25th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I thought you meant inches...which I just qualify for. but I am 36 so I guess im okay there too......:)

princessp
November 25th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Another mature LHCer checking in. I'm hip length and attempting to grow my hair to TB/classic. When I get there it will be the longest my hair has ever been. Long haired older folks rock! :)

ETA:

I thought you meant inches...which I just qualify for. but I am 36 so I guess im okay there too...... LOL!

girlcat36
November 25th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I'm nearly 45, and my hair approaching waist, the longest it has ever been(not for lack of trying, though). I know some of my family/friends must be thinking, "Why doesn't she just get a proper haircut?", but nobody ever comes out and says it. They know better.
And it's not like a short haircut is going to make my hair 'all better'. It is difficult to manage hair, so it just might as well be long since it can't be forced into a 'style'.
I will always have long hair.

CurlyGirlCa
November 25th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Nearly 57 years old; hair still growing.

Spidermom - Like your new signature pic.

Tia2010
November 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm 41 and have maintained my hair around BSL for years but Iv'e decided to try for tailbone , which will be the longest it has ever been. :D yay!!

trolleypup
November 26th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I'm nearly 45, and my hair approaching waist, the longest it has ever been(not for lack of trying, though). I know some of my family/friends must be thinking, "Why doesn't she just get a proper haircut?", but nobody ever comes out and says it. They know better.

I will always have long hair.
Terminal at age 45, plenty of sparklies.

autumn_aqua
November 26th, 2010, 12:24 AM
41 and I think my long hair makes me look younger. As for what other people think... I don't really care! :)

skaempfer
November 26th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I love this thread.

Speckla, may I ask, does the henna stick to your sivers as well as the other hair? jojo? Is it only the indigo that wears off, or the henna as well? GRU, I get the impression from you that the henna sticks to your greys, it that true? How bad is the line?

To henna or not to henna, that is the question!

I'm 42 trying to decide whether or not to stop putting henna in my hair. I don't mind the silvers, but I like the shine and highlights the henna gives me. It's not to far from my natural hair color, which means I don't have a "grow-out" line. If I dye the grey, though, I'll get one- unless the henna wears off the grey. Is this making any sense?

Anyway, I admire all you guys and look forward to hair like this (http://www.jupiterimages.com/Image/royaltyFree/200298643-001#Header), but longer!

Speckla
November 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I love this thread.

Speckla, may I ask, does the henna stick to your sivers as well as the other hair? jojo? Is it only the indigo that wears off, or the henna as well? GRU, I get the impression from you that the henna sticks to your greys, it that true? How bad is the line?

To henna or not to henna, that is the question!

I'm 42 trying to decide whether or not to stop putting henna in my hair. I don't mind the silvers, but I like the shine and highlights the henna gives me. It's not to far from my natural hair color, which means I don't have a "grow-out" line. If I dye the grey, though, I'll get one- unless the henna wears off the grey. Is this making any sense?

Anyway, I admire all you guys and look forward to hair like this (http://www.jupiterimages.com/Image/royaltyFree/200298643-001#Header), but longer!

Hey skaempfer,
Henna sticks very well to my greys. It doesn't fade out and my roots are noticeable when you look up close but they do not scream "I NEED TO TOUCHUP" if you're standing at a distance. I just part my hair a different way and they're less noticeable. My natural hair is a light to medium ash brown.

kschr2004
November 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I'm 39 and still growing my hair. This is the second time around that I started growing my hair long after I turned 35. :)

punky
November 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I just turned 62 in Oct and still growing my hair long !:)

CastaDiva
November 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Absolutely yes to longhair after 35!+. I don`t agree with or understand people who say that once you get past a certain age, long hair is no longer flattering and that you should cut it. Long hair is a personal preference and nobody elses business (even if they think it is). Long hair can be very beautiful no matter how old you are. I have struggled for several years to get long hair, so I would most certainly not cut it off and sacrifice the joy I feel about it just because I hit a certain age or somebody told me that it was time to cut it back. No way!! A big yes to long hair, no matter how old you are:cheese:

Cowgirl16
November 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I am 48 and still proudly growing! :cheese:

CrowningGlory
November 26th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Almost 46 and at tailbone. Classic is the goal.

I had the 'too old for long hair' comments when I was still in my 30s. Ignored for a while, then doubt crept in, finally cut and now am growing it out again.

chelles2kids
November 26th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I just turned 62 in Oct and still growing my hair long !:)

62???!!! I still cannot believe that!:thudpile:

I could only hope to look half as good as yourself even at 52, much less 62...ok spill it woman what are your secrets???:p

skaempfer
November 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Punky, I feel a thudpile coming on!
:crush::thudpile:

princessp
November 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM

I could only hope to look half as good as yourself even at 52, much less 62...ok spill it woman what are your secrets???:p

I know! I think long hair keeps us younger. So many older long-hairs here who look half their ages!

Feng-Shui
November 26th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I`m 38 years old and my hair is nearly knee long.
I thinks this fact qualifies me for this group.:D

FrannyG
November 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I am 49 and I hope to have waist length hair for the first time when I celebrate turning 50 next year. :)

punky
November 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks you very much. When a woman gets to be my age she takes all the compliments she can get :D As for my secrects I really don't have any other than I am blessed with good health and I try to have a good outlook on life and I laugh alot.

GRU
November 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
GRU, I get the impression from you that the henna sticks to your greys, it that true? How bad is the line?

Yep -- my temples were just like Paulie Walnuts' temples (http://images.forbes.com/media/2007/05/30/sopranos_5.jpg) from The Sopranos prior to henna. My hair was strawberry-blonde to being with (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/br-notbrushed-back.jpg), so I use a mixture of mostly cassia plus henna (roughly 4 parts cassia, 1 part henna) because I'm looking to cover my "Paulie Temples" rather than change my overall hair color.

Not sure what you mean by "how bad is the line" -- do you mean the difference between hennaed hair and virgin hair when my hair grows? It's the same as if I did any other type of haircoloring, other than the fact that my virgin hair grows in strawberry blonde to begin with, so the biggest "line" is just where my grays grow.

If you can forgive me the total lack of style and completely frizzy 'do (planning on doing an SMT this afternoon since I have the house to myself while the boys are out hunting, so I just tossed it up with a stick), you can get a look at my temple here (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/PaulieTemple.jpg).

The hairs at my temple are slightly more orange-colored than the rest of my hair, but they most certainly do not look gray. If I were a fussier person, I'd mix a stronger henna for applying just at my temples to try to get them to match my non-grays better; the other grays don't matter so much because they just look like "highlights" as they are scattered about, but the grays at my temple are just too dense to look like "random lighter-colored hairs". However, I'm such a non-fashion-minded person that I don't give a rat's patootie as long as the grays are somewhat camouflaged. They don't SCREAM at you now like they used to, and that's good enough for me.

soobie
November 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Count me in- I turn 40 in a couple months, and I just hit classic. :cheese:

SheaLynne
November 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I fit in here...I embraced 40 this year, and my hair is its longest ever at almost tailbone. My sil is 45 and has just past waist length, though it is often longer than that, and she looks as young as her daughters, who are 18 and 21. Gorgeous!

Thank you to all those who love their hair more than what someone else says. You inspire me!!

remidosi
November 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I might be too young (and my hair might be too short :p) for this thread, but I just wanted to let you all know that I admire each and every one of you. Not just because your beautiful hair is covet-worthy, but because it's inspiring to see so many women follow their own judgments and desires against society's youth obsession and rigid dicta regarding what's acceptable for women depending on their age. Thanks for showing everyone that adult women have plenty of alternatives to the ubiquitous soccer-mom bob and the frosted blonde spikes!

*Disclaimer - I hold no prejudice against soccer-mom bobs and frosted blonde spikes. Plenty of women look fantastic. But plenty more adopt a style like that "because it's time" or because "it's more professional" or another reason that is not their own.

The media suggests that a woman's youth (and therefore her femininity and value) end in the early thirties. Thank you all for demonstrating that this is not true! I hope you know what an inspiration you are.:flowers:

luckyduck
November 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I am just now at waist, not stopping there either, and I am 54 years old.

Jessica Trapp
November 26th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm 40 and still growing. :D

Ludde
November 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Well over 35 and certainly still growing.

Blueneko
November 27th, 2010, 01:13 AM
37, still growing. :) If I ever cut, it would just be for shaping and healthy hair reasons.

fairystar32
November 27th, 2010, 03:44 AM
36 and still growing :)
I am not aware that age matters anyway for hair length?

Dolly
November 27th, 2010, 04:12 AM
That is one stereotypical piece of garbage that still bugs me.....

I am 43 and mine is still growing.....I actually went in reverse.....when I was about 8 yrs old, I had hair almost to my waist, which my mother cut off to chin length because I wouldn't take care of it. There were a couple of times after that that I had hair to about APL/BSL, but other than that, I kept it relatively short. I didn't really START growing mine until I was almost 40.....

mrs_coffee
November 27th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I've already said this in other threads, but I didn't start growing my hair until this year, just before I turned 40. I've had short hair all my life, first because my mom made me keep it short, and then later because I was a competitive swimmer and being in a pool 2-3 hours a day every day makes long hair really difficult to care for...not to mention it puts a drag on your time, and when you're racing every second counts.

But a couple of years ago all of the moms my age started cutting their hair short (mostly the asymmetrical bob that Victoria Beckham made popular) and my motto is: "The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that." -Arnold Schwarzenegger

So yeah. It's growing as long as it wants to.

Xandergrammy
November 27th, 2010, 07:36 AM
So yeah. It's growing as long as it wants to.

I like this. I'm also growing as long as it wants to! :gabigrin:

Speckla
November 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Wow. I know a theory that's proven wrong! :)

Melisande
November 27th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I'm 46 now and my hair was always long or longish - and it will continue to do so! At hip now, going on classic!

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/MataPics_2009/th_201005afterhaircut.jpg (http://s983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/MataPics_2009/?action=view&current=201005afterhaircut.jpg)

(Picture is from May,hair has grown since)

Chamomile betty
November 27th, 2010, 12:43 PM
You have such beautiful hair.

I am 36 and will be 37 this January. No plans on cutting my hair anytime soon.

Coriander
November 27th, 2010, 04:54 PM
36 and it's still growing. I've never been conventional, why start now? :)

sherigayle
November 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I'll be 36 in a couple of weeks with about 10&#37; grey. I'm slowing working to remove the old built up color from the length so my greys will show. My goal is a full head of white hip-tailbone length hair. Until then, I'm playing with fun temporary colors and keeping it healthy. I love being outside of the mainstream. I may be a blue haired old lady some day. But that blue hair will be intentional and gloriously long.

Armelle
November 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm 35 and grew up with short hair. No greys... I guess it's 'cause I've got honey blonde hair.

I'm enjoying my long hair now!:D

But then too...I still wear pigtail braids...:hmm:

Delila
November 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm well beyond 35 and my hair's not getting shorter any time soon.

I prefer going without added color on my grays because I dislike the maintenance involved in keeping up with it.

I began growing out from a pixie about ten years ago, and am currently just beyond classic. (not sure what the next milestone is beyond that, but my hemline's so wispy that I'm not gonna claim it until my hemline thickens up a bit, LOL!)

I think longer hair looks better and is easier for me to maintain, so I'm definitely not going back. (Plus, I loathe keeping up with bangs, so I'm not going back to those either.)

Demetrue
November 27th, 2010, 09:22 PM
My European grandmother had knee length hair till she passed away at age 91. She wore it in a rope braid crown around her head. She is one of my biggest inspirations!

Debra83
November 28th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I'm 45, but going backwards!!! (wishful thinking!). Seriously though, I'll be 46 next month and I full on intend to have waist length hair again. It's been almost two decades since I chopped it and kept it fairly short. I want it long again!

I was taking a cab ride the other night to celebrate a coworkers' 50th birthday, and we were talking and I said that it was a dry run for my birthday to turn 50 in 4 years, and he stopped the cab and turned on the light but he still couldn't believe I was 46 next month. I had to show him my driver's license! I get that a lot, but even if I didn't...I'm sure I would still grow out my hair because I want it long, not for any other reason than that.

Masara
November 28th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I started growing my hair at 38, I suppose I have to do things backwards!

It's at tailbone at the moment and still growing. I have no intention of cutting it for the moment and if I ever do, it won't be because it's "age appropriate". he only person who has ever made a comment about my hair and my age was my mum when I started growing. She said," it's best to do it now, so you don't do it with long faded hair later" I may not agree with the "long faded" idea (although, her hair did look faded when the grey was growing in, it looks great now it's all grey) but I loved the fact that 38 wasn't too old in her mind.

I only have a few greys which, some of them go copper with henna, some don't. It's not a problem. I'll probably stop using henna when I have so many that I get orange chunks of hair.

GRU
November 28th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Masara, every time I see your signature pic, I'm blown away by your beautiful, healthy, shiny hair. Just gorgeous.....

ItsMyHair
November 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm 37 and I've never had long hair. I might have been APL in high school for a hot minute. I'm letting it go grey and growing it out at the same time. I've always wanted it long, but I never had the patience.