PDA

View Full Version : Amla Hair Oil

BellCat
November 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Just bought a bottle of Dabur Amla Hair Oil which is apparently the 'secret of beautiful hair in India' :) :) :) Has anyone tried this before? I'm excited to try it out tonight!

Dreamkitty
November 25th, 2010, 09:01 AM
BellCat, I have tried Dabur Amla hair oil before and bought the newest version couple of months ago.

Im using Dabur Amla Gold which has almonds, amla and henna mixed in with it. I like the smell, sometimes its a bit too strong though. Personally it feels like any other hair oil to me, I guess you will be able to see the real results when you use it regularly.:) I always use the Amla oil twice a week with lots in my hair, leave the oil in my hair for more 3-4 days sometimes so it makes my ends a bit dry by then.

However I prefer Coconut oil as its 100% pure, it's a light oil and I get the unperfumed one. So I have to say once my Amla bottle is finished, Im going to go back to using Coconut. Its also alot cheaper too and doesn't have mineral oil or any other chemicals added to it.

Please keep us updated, on what you think of Amla hair oil once you have used it and if it makes any difference to your hair.:D

BellCat
November 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Oh cool! i was reading alot about coconut oil and i'm definately going to pick up a bottle! Will do! tonight im going to henna my hair and use the oil :) and will post pics!!

Dreamkitty
November 25th, 2010, 09:39 AM
^^ I definetly recommend you getting pure coconut oil, its my favourite. I think Amla is good but im just worried about the chemicals it contains so next time Im just going to get simple, pure oils like, Coconut, Almond, Jojoba etc.

:D Will be good to see your pics, I think you should apply the oil on your hair, leave it overnight and wash in the morning, that way you get best results. Or you could just let the oil soak in your hair for 4-6 hours and then wash it off. My sister said when she puts oil in her hair, washed off after few hours her hair feels more soft.

purple_figtree
November 25th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I used to use Dabur hair oils, the amla one and the henna one, but I quit using them after I discovered that they were mineral-oil based. I'm not sure what that will do to my hair, but I don't want to use it. I find that coconut oil works much better, it actually penetrates my hair rather than just sitting on top of the strands.

You can make your own amla oil, with whole amla or powder and whatever oil you like. I would, but don't have access to the ingredients.

BlackfootHair
November 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hi! Dabur Amla oil user here! I don't use it all the time, but I will tell you this...different products do different things, and it all has to do with what your hair likes. Also, everything is made up of chemicals. The water you drink is a chemical. So don't be scared of a product because it has "teh evil chemicals!" Also, mineral oil isn't bad. It just depends on what your hair likes. Some people can use mineral oil based products with success. Think of it like an oil that will sit on the surface of your hair and keep in any moisture that is already in your hair. No, it doesn't add moisture itself, but it helps keep what is in there, in. It's also a petroleum by-product...you know, that stuff that comes from nature? ;) There was once a show on tv about petroleum and the processes it goes through. The guy who dealt with the wax form had baby soft looking hands... I had a client one time have the softest feet...I would have sworn she never walked on them if I didn't know any better. She used Vaseline every night with socks. Vaseline is petrolatum, another by product. It really just depends on your hair and what it needs. If I do a deep treatment on my hair, I will usually follow up with Dabur Amla oil just because it seals in the moisture. :)

BellCat
November 25th, 2010, 10:44 AM
ohhhh nice my hair is quite dry at the ends so im looking forward to putting it in. Do you put in two teaspoons like it says on the bottle? seems like nothing :/ ?

looniac
November 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM
So don't be scared of a product because it has "teh evil chemicals!"

THIS!

I happen to be very in tuned to using natural products, but every once in awhile I just break down and buy the cheap stuff at Rite Aid. Using it every once in awhile isn't going to kill you, especially if it's topical. The hair is dead already, so we can only do so much to improve it. If you're eating well and taking care of your body, what you put on your hair should be decided by what your hair likes. Same thing goes for silicones and shampoo. There is so much stigma around these things, but everyone's hair is different! I hope this oil works well for you and that you'll post before and after pictures so we can see your results! :)

sukhi_v1023
November 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I use Dabur Vatika hair oil. It's made of coconut oil and some other natural oils (almond, i think?). I usually use it as a pre-wash conditioning treatment, since it's quite heavy.

Dabur Amla, Amla Gold, and Olive oils all list mineral oil as their primary ingredient. Mineral oil tends to just sit on my hair and not do much except irritate me, so these oils didn't work for me.

But as other members have commented: to each, his/her own. Do what is right for your hair.

BlackfootHair
November 25th, 2010, 09:52 PM
ohhhh nice my hair is quite dry at the ends so im looking forward to putting it in. Do you put in two teaspoons like it says on the bottle? seems like nothing :/ ?

Just add a little at a time till you find you have enough. :) No wrong way to go! :D