PDA

View Full Version : Curly girls...protein/moisture balance?

abritta3
November 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hi. I am confused...and that is an understatement!
I know my curl type (3a) but I don't know how to determine my porosity or any of that other curly mumbo jumbo... my curls have been "limp" and dry with thin looking ends lately so I am wondering about the moisture/ protein balance. I have read the different ways to test and feel silly because I still can't determine what my hair needs :(
My current routine: olive oil conditioner from walmart, tresemme naturals condish with suave pomengranate cleanser 2x a week. I apply garnier fructis cream gel or matrix biolage gel as well as jojoba oil (daily).
I did a deep condish treatment last night (90mins) with deva curl heaven in hair. Today I bought lusti organics olive oil hair sheen and the same brand of deep conditioner which I put on my dry hair for 20mins because my hair looked dry again.

Any suggestions? I am bummed with this...

Vermelha
November 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM
You sound like you need an ACV rinse. Also, you may not need too much protein. You do use gel, which usually contains some proteins. Sounds like buildup, so the ACV should do the trick. Your curls will spring right back up and your porosity will be fixed. It's a great astringent for the scalp as well.

I'm one of those that doesn't really advise too many moisture or protein treatments. I base hair care on creating a normal pH environment for the hair instead. Too much of either has its effects, but keeping the hair at a normal pH usually eliminates all those issues like crunchy ends, etc. etc.

Do you clarify any? With the amount of products you use daily, you might need to clarify often.

GRU
November 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM
My first recommendation when someone has hair that is dry/tangly is to shampoo/clarify in case you have some sort of product buildup (just ACV rinsing won't be enough to remove buildup).

Have you tried an SMT or other type of DT?

My hair adores sweet almond oil and/or grapeseed oil -- you might want to try something besides the jojoba.

Vermelha
November 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
My first recommendation when someone has hair that is dry/tangly is to shampoo/clarify in case you have some sort of product buildup (just ACV rinsing won't be enough to remove buildup).

Have you tried an SMT or other type of DT?

My hair adores sweet almond oil and/or grapeseed oil -- you might want to try something besides the jojoba.

You're right, especially if a lot of product is used on a regular. I would suggest some sort of clarifying, followed by ACV even to perhaps bring back the curl and natural pH?

McFearless
November 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
As a curly I find I need more protein than the average person. I use a protein conditioner every 2 weeks or so on my previously dyed length. Moisture is still very important. My curls are happy with a CWC wash every week. The first C is a coney conditioner, the shampoo is Suave Naturals with ALES and the last conditioner is slightly coney also. My hair detangles much easier this way.

Saraesa
November 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
If you're concerned about porosity then here's a test that I've heard off. Take a glass of water and put in a couple strands of shed hair. Tap the glass a few times to break the water's surface tension. If you're hair floats than your porosity is fine if the hair sinks then your hair is porous. HTH

Vermelha
November 25th, 2010, 06:04 PM
If you're concerned about porosity then here's a test that I've heard off. Take a glass of water and put in a couple strands of shed hair. Tap the glass a few times to break the water's surface tension. If you're hair floats than your porosity is fine if the hair sinks then your hair is porous. HTH

I think that testing varies from person to person though. I noticed a lot of coarse-stranded hairs automatically sink, even when pH balanced. My hair sinks when I do this test, no matter what, even after an ACV rinse...weird, huh?

I think most curlies should find some way to regain their natural pH. Most curlies have open cuticles anyhow.

darkwaves
November 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I think neutral PH makes sense -- suggestions on where to find the testing strips?

Thanks!

GRU
November 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I think neutral PH makes sense -- suggestions on where to find the testing strips?

Thanks!

Anyplace that sells swimming pool (or hot tub) supplies will have them, as will pet stores that sell aquarium supplies. The strips aren't as accurate as the liquid test tubes, though, IMO.

But pH neutral isn't necessarily neutral to your hair -- hair/skin are slightly acidic, which is why they react favorably to rinses with ACV, lemon juice, citric acid, etc.

darkwaves
November 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks, GRU.

Athena's Owl
November 29th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I think that testing varies from person to person though. I noticed a lot of coarse-stranded hairs automatically sink, even when pH balanced. My hair sinks when I do this test, no matter what, even after an ACV rinse...weird, huh?

I think most curlies should find some way to regain their natural pH. Most curlies have open cuticles anyhow.

...Ph balanced by means of an ACV rinse is not going to erase the porosity damage done by chemical straightening/perming/colour or extensive heat drying/styling, or even rough handling while combing/brushing the hair. ACV doesn't put cuticle scales back - it's only a temporary rinse to make the cuticle scales flatten out a bit, and overuse of ACV can damage hair.

if your hair sinks, it's porous, and should be treated as such.

I have curly hair and a strand of my hair will not sink after hours of immersion in water. I've been natural for ten years and do not heat style my hair, and I don't colour it with anything that isn't henna. I have to manipulate my hair in the shower in order to get it wet, and i have to push it into the water if i'm soaking it in the tub (something I don't do any more, as my hair is too long.)