PDA

View Full Version : Hair seems dry and icky

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I went a long time with my hair behaving pretty well and then recently I got some highlights all through it. I KNOW that can be damaging but I am trying to get away from dying the roots of my hair and just doing the highlights every few months instead. Anyway, I went to an Aveda salon and they did a great job but my hair seems so dry now and the curls are well "wonky" just can't describe it. Any suggestions on what to do? I have been using a lot of benign neglect but maybe too much? I also went to the beach week before last so maybe that has contributed. I need to get my hair back in shape though! I am not happy with it! (please no highlight/bleach bashing, that is not the reason for this thread :) )

30isthenewblack
June 2nd, 2008, 07:18 AM
I've just coloured my hair as well. I find after a month or so, the colour dies down and the hair texture feels better.

Lamb
June 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Well, benign neglect before getting the highlights can't have been a problem - but perhaps your hair is just lacking some TLC now that it has been dyed?
What have you already tried to get your hair back in shape? I seem to remember you had good experiences with SMT, perhaps you could do one now? Or a deep oiling? (Sorry, I have no idea what to do with dyed hair, but I am fighting dryness every day of my life and I know that in extreme cases, olive oil works, thought it's very hard to get out of my hair...)

FrannyG
June 2nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
After my recent move from brown to blonde, obviously my hair was feeling more dry than usual. I really went to town with SMT's, K-Pak treatments, and EVOO presoaks before COing. I found that after about 2 weeks my hair felt pretty much back to normal.

I suggest just really babying it for a while and you'll see--it will be back in shape before you know it. If worse comes to worst, maybe get a half inch cut off. Sometimes that can make a world of difference.

I hope you post some photos soon. I'd love to see your new highlights! :flower:

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm sure you've been putting moisture treatments and such on it. Other than that, patience. When I tried baking soda, my hair turned into something like carded wool that felted every time I got it wet, and it took 2 weeks of daily SMT or conditioner soaks for my hair to recover.

missy60
June 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM
I think with processed hair you need protein have you given that a try? I got highlights also a few days before you did I think, and I have done a few protein treatments. I also use Kpak and Cat for protein they have helped. I know your hair doesnt like misting but that helps when mine feels dry during the day.

Up your conditioner usage and your leave in that should help some. Remember to use enough conditioner to get the seaweed feel that takes alot more for me now.

mommy2one05
June 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
I just had a family member color my hair yesterday. I got it colored in February at a local salon and I wanted them to match my roots well as it has grown out I already had a couple inches of roots showing and it was not anywhere near close to the rest of the hair color so I have been debating for awhile now whether to color or leave it alone and I decided to color. I picked out a medium rich brown color at walmart. Well Now I wished I had left it alone. It still has a red in it, I guess I naturally pull reds and will always have that. It is nothing like the color on the box, no it is extremely dark. So I guess my plan is to wash my hair more often this week hoping it will lighten up and to wear it down in the sun hoping that will also lighten it up. i will be probably be swimming alot this summer, so that may affect it too. When I go places I will wear up or in a braid. I am gonna wait till September and then revaluate and if I sill hate it then I will go back to the same salon and just have them do the same color as last time. Ahh!

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Well I think I already sort of knew the answer and that is babying it and moisturizing. I have never needed extra protein treatments before but maybe I will try that if the moisture doesn't work. I think maybe SINCE the highlights and beach I have been neglecting my hair too much. I have also been sick since then and haven't felt like doing anything to it. Tonight I will do a good old-fashioned SMT and go back to some TLC regularly. I guess I could do a protein treatment first.

Anyone know where I can get a K-pac? I have some Nexxus Keraphix, maybe I'll just use it. I haven't tried the k-pac but have heard a lot of good things about it. The Nexxus didn't do that well last time I used it.

I am terrible about pics! I promise I will post soon!

FrannyG
June 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Well I think I already sort of knew the answer and that is babying it and moisturizing. I have never needed extra protein treatments before but maybe I will try that if the moisture doesn't work. I think maybe SINCE the highlights and beach I have been neglecting my hair too much. I have also been sick since then and haven't felt like doing anything to it. Tonight I will do a good old-fashioned SMT and go back to some TLC regularly. I guess I could do a protein treatment first.

Anyone know where I can get a K-pac? I have some Nexxus Keraphix, maybe I'll just use it. I haven't tried the k-pac but have heard a lot of good things about it. The Nexxus didn't do that well last time I used it.

I am terrible about pics! I promise I will post soon!

I'm not usually that big on protein treatments either, but after a major colouring, I do find that K-Pak really helps. It can be found at most salons and beauty supply stores. Actually now they carry it at my local drugstore.

If you do that, and then lots of moisture treatments, I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't forget to put a little conditioner on your ends as a leave-in.

Yes, Curlsgirl, you are terrible about pics. :silly: I'm holding you to your promise! :grin:

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Yes, Curlsgirl, you are terrible about pics. :silly: I'm holding you to your promise! :grin:

Oh I hate it when that happens :p

Do you think they have it at Sally's?

Anje
June 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Did they do they highlights with a cap, or with foils? No personal experience here, but I've heard that highlighting caps can ravage longer hair. Stylists can also damage the hair as they pull it through, if they're not careful.

I don't know a lot about dealing with bleached hair, but I suspect it might just be generally depleted... Therefore, in my inexperience I'd throw a little of everything at it: more moisture, more protein, more oil. Hopefully that'll get it back into shape.

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Did they do they highlights with a cap, or with foils? No personal experience here, but I've heard that highlighting caps can ravage longer hair. Stylists can also damage the hair as they pull it through, if they're not careful.

I don't know a lot about dealing with bleached hair, but I suspect it might just be generally depleted... Therefore, in my inexperience I'd throw a little of everything at it: more moisture, more protein, more oil. Hopefully that'll get it back into shape.

FOILS! I can't even imagine using a cap for long hair :scared:She was very gentle, I made sure! I even made her comb with a wide tooth comb after I had already detangled! I really like the highlights and am hoping in the long run it will be much better for my hair than color like I am doing every 3 weeks. Also if I want to make the transition to gray someday it will be easier.

missy60
June 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
You can get the generic version at Sally's I havent tried it though. If you already have something I would just use it and see how it goes. Protein is not bad as long as you shampoo, its when your strictly CO that it builds up and causes problems. I know you already know most of the other suggestions I would give so I didnt bother with those. Ok just this one thing have you ever heard of wetting and applying coconut oil to your hair...lol

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
Ok just this one thing have you ever heard of wetting and applying coconut oil to your hair...lol

Oh do TELL!!! :D

Kirin
June 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Though I am a henna-head currently, for years my favorite on me was blonde, and I have all sorts of experience in the blonding/highlighting/bleach catagory. Unlike regular dying, lightening hair with highlight causes a unique set of dryness.

From past experience (Yes I'm the local protein guru) if a protein treatment makes it worse, stop with that. One treatment will tell you, you'll know right away with brillo like dryness. I was often told by stylists to use protein in my hair after lightening and it would make a bad situation worse and worse, and I would wonder why.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with highlight/bleaching (I miss it in fact! LOL), the trick is knowing what will solve the dryness afterward and restore it.

This may be against the grain here, but in my experiences with lightening, and with a more natural approach now, I can't see a lot of the gentler natural things working to combat it. I could be wrong though, I am no expert. However, I used to use (and still often do use) a Softee Cholesterol conditioner and leave that on for near an hour. I love that stuff, there's nothing quite like it after lightening.

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I used to use (and still often do use) a Softee Cholesterol conditioner and leave that on for near an hour. I love that stuff, there's nothing quite like it after lightening.

Thanks! Does this come in a packet and do you know where I can get it?

Carolyn
June 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Do you have a Trade Secret salon near you? I've gotten KPak there. I think Beauty First has it too. If you are going to Sally's I'd suggest getting a bottle of Cure Care. It's a really nice protein conditioner. It also is great as a body lotion and for leg shaving. Very multi-use. Sally's also carries the generic version of Aveda Cherry Almond Bark which Aveda has now discontinued. I love it and it smells heavenly. Aveda Damage Remedy is on the pricey side but it's wonderful.

Kirin
June 2nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
The "Softee" brand is usually in the ethnic haircare aisle, in sally's and in walmart. Many hair supply stores carry it as well as supermarkets, its always in the ethnic section. (its in my local stop n' shop, and the local dollar store, it usually runs around a dollar for a small tub about 8 oz i think). You can usually get two to three applications out of it, depending on how long your hair is..... seeing yours one container might be one application LOL.

I'd avoid Queen Helene cholesterol, as its SUPER greasy feeling and very hard to get out. (it does work though). Softee I've been able to rinse out easilily and not require a shampoo after. I also find the scent of the softee much superior, lighter and fresher.

Leisa
June 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hesitate to send this but...:)

Curlsgirl, I love you and I've been following your posts and I think you're great:).. and yes there is a but...
Sister, you have gorgous hair, I just want to know why, if you are growing it long, you are still treating it with chemical dyes?

I know you dont' want highlight bashing, but when I had highlights years ago, we're talking over 15 years ago, it would look nice at first, but months later I would need to trim off the fried ends.

It seems counter-intuitive to having long healthy hair? Am I wrong?

I think maybe on some level you want to hear someone say - GIIRL! Stop using chemicals on your lovely locks!!!:D

Riot Crrl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I could have almost written Kirin's reply...

I agree with others that bleach/peroxide can create a protein deficit where indeed none existed before. Have you tried the stretch test and what were the results like? Try to find sheds that are the highlighted hairs in particular.

I find it is always good to follow protein treatment with a moisture only treatment right away.

goldilocks
June 2nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I get highlights also. What I have done in the past and it seems to help. Is about 3 weeks before I get the highlights I will do a protein treatment followed by moisture and then the sane thing 2 weeks before and then about 3 days before I go in I do it again. And then I DO NOT wash or CO I go in with 3 day hair. It seems to help protect it a bit. and then afterwards I do one protein but I use moisture and lots of it. Hope that helps :) BTW your hair looks wonderful.

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hesitate to send this but...:)

Curlsgirl, I love you and I've been following your posts and I think you're great:).. and yes there is a but...
Sister, you have gorgous hair, I just want to know why, if you are growing it long, you are still treating it with chemical dyes?

I know you dont' want highlight bashing, but when I had highlights years ago, we're talking over 15 years ago, it would look nice at first, but months later I would need to trim off the fried ends.

It seems counter-intuitive to having long healthy hair? Am I wrong?

I think maybe on some level you want to hear someone say - GIIRL! Stop using chemicals on your lovely locks!!!:D

Um no I really didn't want to hear that because I already know the drawbacks of chemical processing and choose to treat my hair very well otherwise and live with what little damage I might acquire. That is why I said please no highlight bashing. :) I really don't think it's damaged but just dry right now and wanted some tips. I guess you meant well so thank you anyway.

hurricane_gia
June 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Have you tried the stretch test and what were the results like? Try to find sheds that are the highlighted hairs in particular.

What is a stretch test?

Leisa
June 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Um no I really didn't want to hear that because I already know the drawbacks of chemical processing and choose to treat my hair very well otherwise and live with what little damage I might acquire. That is why I said please no highlight bashing. :) I really don't think it's damaged but just dry right now and wanted some tips. I guess you meant well so thank you anyway.

If you chose chemicals then so be it! Right, free world. peace sister!:D And I really mean that. You are beautiful no matter what your hair looks like.:)

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks everyone! I haven't tried the stretch test but I am pretty sure it needs moisture more than protein. My hair historically hasn't cared much for extra protein. I added more leave-in this time after doing a DT and it's MUCH better!

As for the stretch test, you can take some hair and stretch it and tell whether it needs protein or moisture. If in doubt it is best to err on the moisture side because that is what hair usually needs I think. Maybe someone else has a link for the stretch test?

Riot Crrl
June 2nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
What is a stretch test?

It means to take your shed hairs and stretch them. If it snaps immediately without stretching at all, it already has more protein and needs more moisture. If it stretches way far before breaking, and if you let go of it before it breaks and it does not return to somewhere near its original length, it needs protein. My own hair can vary wildly over the course of a month, and that is how I decide what to put on it next.

It does work, at least for me. If it snaps immediately, I DT it with moisture only, and the next time it will stretch further.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Uh-oh; mine snapped almost immediately. And I thought I was doing good on both counts. Guess it's time for a deep moisture treatment.

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
So I guess it's supposed to be dry when you stretch it right?

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
I just did one and it stretched but broke pretty quickly too, at least more than usual. I'll start doing more moisture. I used to mist my hair while doing updos a lot more than I do now. Since summer is here I will start that again.

Riot Crrl
June 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I heard it's best to do the stretch test wet, so that's what I've been doing. This can be more easily said than done, since I usually come across my shed hairs when my hair is full of water and conditioner, and so are my hands, so they are all slippery. I just try to wash them off and go at it.

Curlsgirl
June 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
I heard it's best to do the stretch test wet, so that's what I've been doing. This can be more easily said than done, since I usually come across my shed hairs when my hair is full of water and conditioner, and so are my hands, so they are all slippery. I just try to wash them off and go at it.

Okay mostly when I have done it wet, mine seems about right. But then I don't do it all the time. Thanks for the reminder!

missy60
June 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
I can also tell my hair is stretchy when Im finger combing conditioner in my hair. Some of my hair will just stretch down longer then the rest.