PDA

View Full Version : Thin to Thick?

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hi, im new to TLHC this is my first proper Thread ^.^
I have fine thin not so straight not so wavy flat hair!!!!
It is so oily that it looks like it hasn't been washed for weeks just one day after it actually has been washed.
At the moment, my hair is 23.5 inches and is just BSL (covering my boobs?)
I'm hoping to grow it to just past waist length for my first goal, however it is very very very slow to grow.

What I would like to know is if anyone has had any success stories with growing there thin fine hair thicker?

About two weeks ago I started taking Biotin, MSM, a skin hair and nails supplement and a Multivitamin.

Thanks in advance

aenflex
November 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
The supplements may help you there, lots of people around the forums use em. I just take a multi vitamin and be done with it. I have thin but coarse hair, and over all of my experimentations I've never really found anything that made my hair bonafide 'thicker'. Henna works for a bit at plumping up the strands, but it's temporary. Keeping a blunt hemline helps give me the appearance of thickness, and I do scalp massages with my fingers and a brush pretty often.

breezefaerie
November 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Can we ask what you do to clean your hair?
Shampoo and Condition? If so, what do you use?
Water only? What's the water like in your area?

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Well from weeks of searching through TLHC I stumbled upon co-washing. So for the past two weeks I have been co-washing only with a mint and rosemary conditioner for normal to greasy hair and then once a week deep conditioning with either an homemade hot olive oil mask or hello hydration mask. The greasiness doesn't really bother me as much as it used to and I'm kind of experienting with the co-washing to see if it will weirdly make my hair less greasy (sounds stupid-i know) as my scalp wont have to make more oil?? I should really mention this but I don't know if it makes much of a difference but I have a couple of sebaceous cysts on my scalp, which is really gross. I don't know much about these but my doctor is going to remove them soon!! The water in my area has alot of limescale in it, but I don't know what that means lol

Was thinking about getting Lush Caca rouge to thicken the appearance but don't know if the red would show on my dark hair!

aenflex
November 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
No the red probably will be very sparse if you have dark hair. However the Caca's make excellent henna glosses IMO.
I occasionally CO but am not huge fan and therefore not experienced. It makes my hair very soft but at the same time very flat...I get the best thickness day after an SLS wash...

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 11:44 AM
what does SLS stand for?

Nae
November 24th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, it is a common ingredient in shampoos. I think sometimes it is Sodium Laureth Sulfate as well.

Here is a link to some of the commonly used abbreviations around here. I know when I first started all of the abbreviations made my head spin, so I hope this helps you out!!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

Welcome to the boards by the way!!

I don't know too much about making hair thicker, as my hair is pretty thick already but, some people have had good luck with vitamins, some with henna, some with other more natural washing techniques! I am sure some other folks who have had this particular trouble will chime in soon!!!

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM
thanks for the link- much appreciated!!! :D

LoveMyLongHair
November 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Welcome to LHC! I am nearing my one year mark and am STILL learning from these wonderful ladies (and men!) :cheese:

brunette
November 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
The supplements will help you get the right nutrients for healthy hair but I would not expect they would give you thicker hair, usually you are left with what you already had! Instead of thinking your hair somehow is not good enough for your liking, see if you can find posts by other members with a similar hairtype, often just learning to care for what you have is great in helping us to love our own hairtype all over again! And seeing all those pretty heads of hair can be inspiring.
Here is one:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115

breezefaerie
November 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Some people do have a transition time when starting CO washing. The oilies could taper off. Or they could just stay oily in which case you may want to try CWC washing ... Condition-Wash-Condition. The wash portion is a shampoo which you may or may not want to dilute.

Welcome to LHC!