PDA

View Full Version : Difference between French roll & french twist

Patty lou
November 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
What is the difference

Thanks Patty lou

RedStripe
November 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I've been wondering that myself. Are they the same thing? Eagerly awaiting input.

enfys
November 24th, 2010, 10:10 AM
As far is I konw, French roll/twist/pleat are the same things, just different regional names.

Kind of like braid/plait or fringe/bangs.

I wonder what they call it in France?

Angelica
November 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
From what I can tell, a French twist is when you twist the hair. To obtain my French pleat I do just that, pleat it, not twist it at all and the effect is the same when it is clipped up. In fact a twist does not work for me, but the pleat does.

I had not heard of a French twist until I came on here.

2peasinapod
November 24th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I have always thought they were the same thing, but when I picture them in my head, a french twist is where all the hair is folded up (smooth look), and a french roll is when your hair is too long for that, so you have a roll!

Fiordiligi
November 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM

I think it is un chignon banane.

yellowchariot
November 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM
As far is I konw, French roll/twist/pleat are the same things, just different regional names.

Kind of like braid/plait or fringe/bangs.

^ That's what I kinda thought as well :confused:

From what I can tell, a French twist is when you twist the hair. To obtain my French pleat I do just that, pleat it, not twist it at all and the effect is the same when it is clipped up. In fact a twist does not work for me, but the pleat does.

I had not heard of a French twist until I came on here.

^ I did not know that, thanks for sharing, Angelica.

enfys
November 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I think it is un chignon banane.

Nothing to do with France then...is that banana bun? :disco:

Jessica Trapp
November 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I thought they were the same. ???

Masara
November 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Yes, that's right. It somehow doesn't sound as elegant. :D

Marjolein
November 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Hmm, I always thought that with the twist you leave hair (well, ends) sticking out at the top, and with the roll you make sure all the ends are tucked in neatly :confused:.

jaine
November 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hmm, I always thought that with the twist you leave hair (well, ends) sticking out at the top, and with the roll you make sure all the ends are tucked in neatly :confused:.

I think the one with the ends sticking out is a peacock twist.

I've actually never heard of a French roll before but I have heard of french twist and chignon banane.

I'm off to google and see what a "pleat" is...

jaine
November 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I found this somewhat helpful diagram with American & British names for some hairstyles:
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/media/oald8/fullsize/h/hai/hair_/hair_comp.jpg

I'm still not quite sure what a "pleat" is though. A google image search for "hair pleat" shows twists and braids. I guess it could refer to either?

Fiordiligi
November 25th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I found this somewhat helpful diagram with American & British names for some hairstyles:
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/media/oald8/fullsize/h/hai/hair_/hair_comp.jpg

This is brilliant - I didn't realise American pigtails were different to British ones!

I know that since I've been here at LHC I keep finding myself wanting to say "braid", however hard I try to stick to "plait"! But it'll definitely always be a French pleat to me, which is what I have only ever heard used in the UK to describe exactly the same thing as a French twist.

Purdy Bear
November 25th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Well as a Brit Id never heard of the roll before coming on here but this is how I do the difference.

The French Twist

Put hair into pony tail and twist it towards the ceiling, take the end and tuck in then pin down its length.

The French Roll

Put the hair to oneside, and place the palm of the hand against the head with the hair to one side. Roll the hair across the hand so it sits on the thumb, then wind the rest around you fingers and tuck in. Pin in place.

If you do both you will see the roll sits further down towards the neck with a less harsh edge but not firm. The French Twist is narrower, higher up the head and firmer in appearance.

enfys
November 25th, 2010, 01:08 PM

I'm still not quite sure what a "pleat" is though. A google image search for "hair pleat" shows twists and braids. I guess it could refer to either?

French pleat is on your link! It's what you would call a French twist.

That's a pretty good find, thanks!

jaine
November 25th, 2010, 03:45 PM
French pleat is on your link! It's what you would call a French twist.

That's a pretty good find, thanks!

I see "French pleat" is a twist ... I'm still confused though about "pleat" by itself though. I saw both twists and braids when I did an image search for "hair pleat." Does pleat also mean braid? I guess I'm trying to see the similarity between twists and braids ...

Fiordiligi
November 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I see "French pleat" is a twist ... I'm still confused though about "pleat" by itself though. I saw both twists and braids when I did an image search for "hair pleat." Does pleat also mean braid? I guess I'm trying to see the similarity between twists and braids ...

I wonder if sometimes people (not here) confuse the two words pleat and plait. It doesn't help that they both can be French!

enfys
November 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Well a pleat in fabric means tucking one bit behind another, which is what you do when you when you make a French twist.

With regards to the crazy picture results, sometimes Google is like that. My sister was looking for images of Heironimous Boshe's Garden of Earthly Delights. On the first page of results? Wesley Snipes in Blade. Seriously.

Does anywhere apart from the UK use plait? I have never heard anyone here misuse that; even little boys know what a plait is when they'd far rather mess about with frogs or conkers or whatever boys like!

ooo
November 25th, 2010, 06:46 PM

We call it banane. You guess it, it's the German word for banana :D

misstwist
November 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I think they are used largely interchangeably, but I think of them the way Purdy Bear described.

Well as a Brit Id never heard of the roll before coming on here but this is how I do the difference.

The French Twist

Put hair into pony tail and twist it towards the ceiling, take the end and tuck in then pin down its length.

The French Roll

Put the hair to oneside, and place the palm of the hand against the head with the hair to one side. Roll the hair across the hand so it sits on the thumb, then wind the rest around you fingers and tuck in. Pin in place.

If you do both you will see the roll sits further down towards the neck with a less harsh edge but not firm. The French Twist is narrower, higher up the head and firmer in appearance.

Adiva
November 27th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Does anywhere apart from the UK use plait? I have never heard anyone here misuse that; even little boys know what a plait is when they'd far rather mess about with frogs or conkers or whatever boys like!
In Australia, I've always refered to a braid as a plait also:)

AprilElf
November 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I grew up plaiting my hair, not 'braiding' (though since LHC, I have switched) ... that hairstyle I can't do is a French twist :p ... and my childhood pigtails were never plaited.

:D

I can see how what I know as a French twist could be called a 'pleat'.

Purdy Bear
November 28th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Somewhere in my memory in the Uk I think I was told the following. a plait was a single while the braid was a double (pig tails). Braid was also associated with Natrive Americans.