PDA

View Full Version : can normal shampoo be used to clarify?

jojo
November 24th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Ive ran out of clarifying shampoo and really need to clarify but can't get into town for over a week due to work. If I use a sulphate shampoo a few times will this clarify it?
TIA x

aenflex
November 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I use my SLS Suave Rosemary Mint and wash twice when I need to clarify. There's pretty much nothing it doesn't remove :)

lapushka
November 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
IMO any sulfate shampoo will clarify (make sure it's one without silicones).

jojo
November 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
so is that just an ordinary shampoo? sorry im from the UK and we dont have that brand. thank you

jojo
November 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM
IMO any sulfate shampoo will clarify (make sure it's one without silicones).

oh thats good to hear, I will do that later, thanks to both of you x

spidermom
November 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I usually dilute my shampoo, but when I want to clarify I use it full strength.

CaityBear
November 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I just use any shampoo that I have around. Usually Suave because I got a couple when they had a deal on large bottles of the shampoo and conditioner.

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Head and Shoulders is great for clarifying. It can even lighten dyed hair

enfys
November 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM
If you have an SLS shampoo that should be fine to use to a degree. I've fallen into the clarifying shampoo trap myself and my hair does feel more stripped when I use it than any other SLS shampoo, so I think you're right and you might need to use it twice to get the full effect.

Anje
November 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Depends what you call "normal shampoo". You'll need sulfates, and SLS or ALS are the stronger ones. That said, I think my VO5 clarifying shampoo is SLES primarily.

Another guideline I've come across is that clarifying shampoos should be transparent as well as silicone-free. I don't know what the transparency indicates, except maybe a lack of other ingredients and that it isn't cold enough for the SLS to precipitate. (SLS in water precipitates at temperatures a bit cooler than room temperature, but there might be things in shampoo that prevent that. This is a lab experience -- I haven't tried putting shampoo in the fridge to check.)

enfys
November 24th, 2010, 10:21 AM
This is a lab experience -- I haven't tried putting shampoo in the fridge to check.

You know you want to. :drama:

ktani
November 24th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Depends what you call "normal shampoo". You'll need sulfates, and SLS or ALS are the stronger ones. That said, I think my VO5 clarifying shampoo is SLES primarily.

Another guideline I've come across is that clarifying shampoos should be transparent as well as silicone-free. I don't know what the transparency indicates, except maybe a lack of other ingredients and that it isn't cold enough for the SLS to precipitate. (SLS in water precipitates at temperatures a bit cooler than room temperature, but there might be things in shampoo that prevent that. This is a lab experience -- I haven't tried putting shampoo in the fridge to check.)

Clear shampoos have no waxy ingredients as a rule, that can make them opaque (other ingredients can cause that too, such as mica to "pearlize" a shampoo).

I agree that it depends on what is in a shampoo labelled for normal hair and that can be tricky. However, again as a rule, shampoos labelled for normal hair tend to have less oils, polymers and "frills" than those labelled for dry, colour-treated and hair lacking volume and yes they can be used to clarify hair.

pepperminttea
November 24th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I use Sainsbury's Apple Shampoo - it's about £1 for a giant bottle, full of sulphates but 'cone-free. I dilute it usually, but I use it full strength for clarifying. It works great. :)

McFearless
November 24th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Personally I think clarifying is overrated. If by regular shampoo you mean most drugstore brands like Pantene, Garnier, etc.. they will clarify your hair just fine.

jojo
November 25th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Thank you to everybody for your replies, I did 2 shampoos with full strength sainsburys apple shampoo and my hair feels back to normal. x

Pear Martini
February 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Does anyone know if Bed Head's Dumb Blonde shampoo can clarify? My ends are looking terrible.

wavymane
February 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Pretty much any shampoo can be used to clarify but a cone-less one that doesn't deposit additional ingredients on your hair is better. Doesn't have to be expensive Prell works great.

Pear Martini
February 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM
Ahhh! Thank you :D