PDA

View Full Version : Check this out - "hairfriendly" vintage 'dos

havana86
June 2nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I just found this amazing and fun youtube post; how to make 3 vintage hairdo's in under 5 minutes. It seems this is really easy on the hair too, no curlers, products or heat appliances needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QyEWv4WDo

But alas, when I tried this on my day-old-washed hair, it was a complete disaster:poot: My hair slips away from the curlers, and it just seems too thin to cover the sponges. Not a success. I'm going to try it again later on in the week, when my hair has collected some "gunk" :eyebrows: Maybe it will stay in place then.

What do you guys think? I especially loved the fake Betty Page bangs!

velvetcat
June 2nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
awesome. I'm trying to figure out how to work that with *much* longer hair though...by the time I wrapped my hair around one of those rolls it'd be HUGE!

eresh
June 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for posting this!
I love 30s and 40s style & music!

I think you can roll half or a third of your hair (depending how long it is) and let the ends slip out underneath. (and add it in the back roll)
The behind the head roll wouldn't work for me I think but a hairnet would :-)
Also takes some of the weight of the long hair off the side rolls.

I'm going to try it soon, good idea with the sponges, rolls without filling don't last very long with my hair and I don't want to use hairspray.

Islandgrrl
June 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Totally fun to watch! Not so fun to do. :(

I tried it, using some foam pieces I have here in the office (they're square tubes, if that makes sense), and I looked like I had big sausages on my head. I get the feeling this works way better if you don't have quite so much hair!

I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do it with less hair somehow.

Kirin
June 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
This is great. I have shoulder length hair currently, actually just past it and my hair is very fine/thin....... this would be SUPER dramatic for going out, I think it would blow the husband away.

maskedrose
June 2nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
That was fun to watch - now I have to russle up some sponges...

Pegasus Marsters
June 3rd, 2008, 06:19 AM
I so have to do that. IF anyone finds somewhere to buy the sponges/net rats... please let me know.

Isilya
June 3rd, 2008, 06:29 AM
I tried it this morning (I took the sponge parts of some sponge rollers) and failed miserably with the front rolls. The back roll looked OK, though.

I guess I need more practice :shrug:

FrannyG
June 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Totally adorable. Thank you for the link. :)

Finoriel
June 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the link, it was great fun to watch! I always wondered about how they did this rolls.
Hmm, there will be some vintage parties during the summer, maybe IŽll really try to do this... but probably I need longer arms before :eyebrows:

jesamyn
June 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
How cool is that! That's for posting the links. :)

AutumnLeaves
June 3rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
What an awesome find! I often wondered how those styles were done!

Tekakwitha
June 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
You could also ask the girls at the Fedora Lounge (http://www.thefedoralounge.com), which hairstyles they can recommend for (very) long hair.