PDA

View Full Version : Mastering Curls-- HELP!

Angel_Abby
November 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
:D

So, I have totally adopted the no heat curl in my quest for healthier hair. I can get a nice wavy curl if I CO in the morning, add mousse and scrunch it up. I hate the 'wet' look for half the morning though.

So I bought magnetic rollers. LOVE the look- hate the time. I tried to sleep in them and every couple of hours they would wake me up.

So I tried rag curls. And got a head full of 80's style crimps.:o

I am looking for loose, ringlet type curls.

I know that I can use a caruso system- I had one of the original models that lasted 5 years- and then the system needed trashing and I replaced it with regular hot rollers. :mad: So, before I lay down the cash for a Caruso and a bazillion rollers does anyone have any tips of tricks for the two I have already tried?

I watched the tutorials on rag and magnetic curling. Any special hints I may have missed? Otherwise I am going to have to ask Santa for steam rollers in my stocking!:p

aenflex
November 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
What about the regular foam rollers? I always got excellent curls from them, but found all rollers too uncomfortable to sleep in.

Angel_Abby
November 23rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
They make my ends look fried. I tried oiling them... curling them different ways, and still- weird ends.

Thanks though!

Angel_Abby
November 23rd, 2010, 10:55 AM
Oh! And I should add, I have about two hours where I can wear magnetic rollers in the morning. Anyway to be 'just about dry' and still work?

bluesnowflake
November 23rd, 2010, 10:59 AM
I love pin curls- they're easy to sleep on and can give curl anywhere between tight ringlets, bouncy, loose ringlets, or soft waves depending on how many you do. they take about 45 minutes to put in on my waist length hair and dry overnight ( I put them in damp). You can find several good tutorials on youtube.

phistash
November 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
My hair is 2a/2b and I can usually get good results from sock curls. Try doing rag curls with thick socks instead of thin rag strips. If the curls are too tight when I take them out, I simply spritz lightly with water and use a pick to carefully comb them down a bit. If you put some curl defining creme (like Tresemme) in before you do the sock curls, then this should hold very well.

Eire
November 23rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
Have you tried wet-setting? I had this Conair spiral curl heat set... When I decided to go no-heat I just took the rollers from them (they are like long, thin hair sticks) and curl my hair around them. I bend the roller in half, and secure the two ends with a few loops on a twistie. I just do about 6 hair sticks for my entire head of hair, sleep on it (they're pretty comfy) and in the morning shake it out, finger comb, and my curls are very spirally and hold better than any other method I've tried.

Anje
November 23rd, 2010, 11:48 AM
How about letting hair dry in braids, or maybe rope braids (which do more spirals and less zigzag)? It'd be less intense results than rag curls.

redneckprincess
November 23rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
I have heard of putting perm papers on the ends of your hair for sponge curlers and whatnot. Curlformers work great (for me) on wet hair with a tiny bit of coconut milk serum.only takes about 20-30 minutes to put in with duo mirrors or help from a friend. But they are a bit difficult to sleep in though.
I've never gotten rag curls to work nice but I'm only APL.
Rolled sockbun curls look nice on others with longer hair

Vermelha
November 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I use the magnetic rollers because they make my hair smooth. I'm a trooper though. It takes my hair 6 hours to dry, so I get up on Sunday morning, wash and roll my hair, and do some chores. Then, when it's time to go to bed, I take the rollers out and I have fab, large curls.

I also sleep in them. I've been trained to. Have slept on rollers since childhood. Is it worth it. Yep (at least to me). And if I know I'm not going anywhere, I don't take the rollers out.

Angel_Abby
November 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
I love pin curls- they're easy to sleep on and can give curl anywhere between tight ringlets, bouncy, loose ringlets, or soft waves depending on how many you do. they take about 45 minutes to put in on my waist length hair and dry overnight ( I put them in damp). You can find several good tutorials on youtube.

Thanks. I will look them up. See what I can find.:)

My hair is 2a/2b and I can usually get good results from sock curls. Try doing rag curls with thick socks instead of thin rag strips. If the curls are too tight when I take them out, I simply spritz lightly with water and use a pick to carefully comb them down a bit. If you put some curl defining creme (like Tresemme) in before you do the sock curls, then this should hold very well.
I will absolutely try it. Sleeping in the rags was easy! Just too tight on the curls! LOL

And thanks to everyone thats replied. I do not know what my hair type is. I have tried to define it without success.

Here it is:

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/cnave99/DSCF0974.jpg

IvySchex
November 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Here is what I do. I have thick, dark wavy hair. I never use heat on it, but sometimes I like it curly.

I wash my hair, then use some style holding gel (John Frieda, Frizz-Ease, Clearly defined, curly) on damp hair. Then after it dries for about half an hour, I braid it from the top of my head, all the way to the bottom, in a dutch braid. I leave it like that for about 24 hours. Then just undo it and voila! I got a lot of compliments!

Very easy and great results!

Ivy

Angel_Abby
December 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Small Update:

I tried bigger rag curls,pin curls, paper bag curls, braiding(large and small)...

And decided to ask Santa for another Caruso! :cheese:

Brynne
January 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
Ok, so I have four points:

1. I tried rag rolling last night and ended up with great ringlets. Not sure why we got different results; but you could try again with a different technique. However, I found it really hard to get them tied and untied without breaking any hair.
2. I want to avoid heat techniques, too; but aren't Caruso's steam rollers hot?
3. I read that sleeping in any kind of rollers will eventually cause breakage. Is that true?
4. Re: Curlformers, if you put them in dampish hair, and let dry naturally, can you get lasting curls in 2-3 hours?

UltraBella
January 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM
Brynne, the steam from a Caruso will not damage your hair. Steam dissipates so quickly that the rollers are merely moist and warm once in your hair. It actually incredibly conditioning. My hair has never looked better, it is my all time fave way to curl my hair. On this forum Caruso hairsetters are considered a valid non-damaging method.
OP, just give in and buy the new Caruso ;) Best product EVER !!!!

Brynne
January 2nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Glad to hear about the Caruso rollers. I'll go hunt for some. I just don't think I can get a non-heated curl without sleeping in rags or rollers and don't want breakage.

grrlshapedthing
January 2nd, 2011, 02:06 AM
the only thing I have ever ever ever had any success with is curlformers they give me amazing fabulous ringlets... my hair doesn't usually hold curl but man those things work wonders

KittyLost
January 2nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
When I do my rag curls on half dry hair they loosen up as the day goes on, for a portion of the day usually in the middle I have ringlets.

coppercurls
January 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
They make my ends look fried. I tried oiling them... curling them different ways, and still- weird ends.

Thanks though!

You can get thin little squares of paper to fold over your ends to prevent that. Sally's sells them. You can also use bits of paper towel. HTH

jesis
January 2nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
the only thing I have ever ever ever had any success with is curlformers they give me amazing fabulous ringlets... my hair doesn't usually hold curl but man those things work wonders

Curlformers are amazing! I recommend them to everyone trying to get the ringlet look.

They are expensive though. :(

IvySchex
January 2nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Curlformers are amazing! I recommend them to everyone trying to get the ringlet look.

They are expensive though. :(

I have waist length hair; do you think they would be long enough for that?

Ivy

jesis
January 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM

Ivy

I remember I saw something about longer hair. You can take two and wrap them both up along the hair instead of just using one per section. :)

jesis
January 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM

Ivy

It answers the question here:

http://www.curlformers.com/curlformers-faq.htm

:) Hope I helped!

IvySchex
January 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
Jesis,

Thanks so much!

Ivy

Brynne
January 2nd, 2011, 11:40 PM
I liked the rag wrapped curls, at first, but noticed later in the day that my hair suddenly seemed dry (it never does), and then read that foam curlers can dry your hair....rags might do the same? I also read an Amazon review in which the person said her hair seemed rough and dull after using the Curlformers, and guessed that it was because, when you push the tube up, you rub the cuticles the wrong way. Have you noticed anything like that? I've just grown out my hair and hate the idea of damaging it (as I'm not sure what can and can't be repaired).

IvySchex
January 3rd, 2011, 09:06 AM
I liked the rag wrapped curls, at first, but noticed later in the day that my hair suddenly seemed dry (it never does), and then read that foam curlers can dry your hair....rags might do the same? I also read an Amazon review in which the person said her hair seemed rough and dull after using the Curlformers, and guessed that it was because, when you push the tube up, you rub the cuticles the wrong way. Have you noticed anything like that? I've just grown out my hair and hate the idea of damaging it (as I'm not sure what can and can't be repaired).

I haven't tried it, but what about using silk satin for the rag curls? It isn't supposed to dry out hair like cotton and it would help the hair to stay smooth.

Any thoughts?

Ivy

amaiaisabella
January 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
I get large waves instead of curls, but I apply LUSH's King of the Mods gel to damp hair, wait until dry, and then put in a large cinnabun at the top of my head. Sleep on it, and the next morning get perfect waves. I'm not sure you can do a cinnabun yet, but it's worth a try if you're not ready to buy the curlers! :)

Brynne
January 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hmmm. I could try a bun on top of my head.. I think it's long enough to do that. But, I mostly only get weak waves from my buns. I liked the curls, because they gave a lot of body and texture to my updo. I've just reached a point with my layers that looks better down, now....so, I might start wearing it down more, which looks good straight. Still love updo, though.

I can also try the satin curlers. I've seen those, but that leads to one of my other questions: I read that sleeping in any kind of curlers at all eventually leads to weakening and breakage. Does anyone know if that's true?