PDA

View Full Version : Hair resistant to dye...?

IStand4u
November 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hello everyone, I have a question for every who has ever dyed their hair with ANY type of dye.

Has your hair ever rejected all the dye you have ever use? As in, after a month at the longest all the dye is out of your hair and it's back to it's natural hair color, including using henna.

Reason I'm asking is because even henna doesn't stay in my hair. It quite literally washes and wears out of my hair by the time 4 weeks has passed by after coloring it. I've had the same thing happen with permanent dye, semi-permanent... well every dye I've used. The oly way I haven't dyed my hair was through a salon.

So, anyone else have this problem? (If you want to call it a problem).

Thanks, happy hair days! :flowers:

ChrissieM
November 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
What henna are you trying? Sometimes it take a few applications for the henna to "stick". I used Light Mountain once several years ago and it faded within a month. I used it again in May 2009 and it faded...tried some BAQ henna a month later and it's still going strong.

little_cherry
November 22nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
I'm also curious as to which henna you've tried. IME, my hair didn't hold onto boxed dyes, or even compound hennas...BAQ henna has been a different story- it doesn't fade on my hair at all. I've been hennaing for 2 years now. :)

What are you using to mix your henna with?

Milui Elenath
November 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM
I have had this with every dye BUT henna. No permanent dye lasted in my hair - probably not even a month.

The henna does appear to fade in my hair but it's a little hard to tell as my hair is naturally auburn and I only use it to cover the greys at root level. The orange greys become faded but it does stick around somewhat which is more than any other dye did and it doesn't fade very quickly about a month and a half - that's with WO wash once a week. - BTW it is BAQ henna usually with chamomile.

For me it hasn't been a 'problem' (except for the greys ;)) especially when the black hair dye turned my hair purple - I only had to live with it for 2 weeks :D - and I washed back then only twice a week!

Kristin
November 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
In general my hair holds both chemical color and henna, but this one patch on my nape...no go. It turns auburn no matter how much black dye or indigo it is exposed to. Since it's just that spot it doesn't really bother me.

IStand4u
November 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've tried BAQ henna once, still didn't hold, it's like my hair just rejects dyes :confused: :shrug:

little_cherry
November 23rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've tried BAQ henna once, still didn't hold, it's like my hair just rejects dyes :confused: :shrug:
Perhaps you need to do several henna treatments a week apart...there are a few here that needed to do a treatment every week. I'm still curious as to which BAQ henna you used (where did you get it from) and what you used to mix it with. If the mix is too acidic, it does encourage dye release, but the colour doesn't last as long. How long did you leave it on? Also, some people do better with clarifying prior to henna, while others oil their hair with coconut oil to get better results.

I highly recommend getting samples of BAQ henna from different places and see what works out best for you.

ktani
November 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
What is on your hair? What is your routine? Hair that is resistent to dye often has coatings on it, though not always. Do you clarify a few days before colouring?

You need to look at everything.

IStand4u
November 23rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Perhaps you need to do several henna treatments a week apart...there are a few here that needed to do a treatment every week. I'm still curious as to which BAQ henna you used (where did you get it from) and what you used to mix it with. If the mix is too acidic, it does encourage dye release, but the colour doesn't last as long. How long did you leave it on? Also, some people do better with clarifying prior to henna, while others oil their hair with coconut oil to get better results.

I highly recommend getting samples of BAQ henna from different places and see what works out best for you.

I got the BAQ henna from a friend, and the henna "sticks" to her hair VERY well. I've tried clarifying a few days before, I've tried it with using pure sweet almond oil. My friends get's her henna online, and the first time I used it she mixed it up the same way she does, a little bit of lemon juice and warm water (not boiling).

What is on your hair? What is your routine? Hair that is resistent to dye often has coatings on it, though not always. Do you clarify a few days before colouring?

You need to look at everything.

My hair care routin is CO wash most of the time and use a shampoo bar once a week to every other week (depends how my hair feels). I oil using a small amount of castor oil mixed with sweet almond oil. I do a coconut milk soak once a month usually. I clarify my hair a few days before coloring like I'm supposed to, and well it just doesn't work.
My mom's hair doesn't hold chemical dyes either (got my hair from her), but it LOVES to hold onto henna. I don't use cones unless I'm doing my hair for dance or for a special evening when my hair will be down and curly and the cones are only in my leave in conditioners.

Is it possible that my hair just doesn't like dye?

ETA: And well, I just don't have time to henna my hair every week...

jojo
November 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
I think you just got health concious hair, that was just made for joining LHC!!

IStand4u
November 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
I think you just got health concious hair, that was just made for joining LHC!!

Hehe, you made my day jojo! :flower:
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

So does anyone else have hair that is resistant to pretty much all dyes?