PDA

View Full Version : Rant about hair being WAVY from TOXINS?!

mali
November 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
My mom and I were talking about hair,and whether I should part my hair,to which side etc.And then she said,that when I'm gonna wash my hair she will straighten my hair with a round brush.I was like,WTF?! ''It will screw my hair up!'' and she said ''No,I saw a tehnique on tv,which helps people not to damage hair when drying hair with a round brush.'' I was like :eek: and became kind of intrigued,but then it dawned upon me and I asked her : "Wait,if I have wavy hair,why do I have to straighten it?'' and she said :''No,it's from toxins!'' and I said: ''So you're telling me that people with curly hair are full of toxins?'' and my mom: ''No,people who were born with it are not,but if the hair becomes wavy throughout your life,it's because of toxins.'' And I was like : ''It's because of hormons!''(I am a teen) And my mom kept saying that it was from toxins,and that I was born with straight hair,thank god!:eek:

I'm so upset! What's wrong with my wavy hair?Yeah,it's not perfect but I WON'T screw it up with a round brush just because ''I was born with straight hair''! Yeah,I was born with it,but it was a long time ago and for eg. people don't have the same color they have when they were 2 and when they are teenagers,it's the same with texture in 90% of the time.It's clearly because of hormones and genetics!

She only said that because she think I need to ''detox'' my body because I have dark circles.They are hereditary,I tried to explain that 2 my mom 43587278 times! Seriously! Yeah,maybe they wouldn't be so bad,but it's not like I'm Lindsay Lohan and I need to go to rehab!

My sister doesn't believe me,my mom doesn't believe me...They all don't believe me that I have wavy hair,because I have hair like spidermom,which straightens in 2-3 days after it's been washed + I can't resist the urge (sometimes) to not brush my hair!UGHHHH!

Take a look at my album pics,and decide.

Thanks,sorry about the rant.What do you think?What would you do?:o

spidermom
November 22nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
I don't know what your mom is thinking or why, but weird!

aenflex
November 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
From what I understand the curl of the hair is completely based on the shape and diameter of the follicle. Hair can change texture during puberty and into old age becuase of hormones. But I've never heard toxins...

Aleria
November 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
What the heck? My hair was straight as a child and is wavy now... I have to say that is one of the craziest things I've ever heard. Worse than "If you don't blow dry your hair will get moldy"

horseprincess
November 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Sounds like a bunch of old wives tales to me. Don't let it get to you, you obviously know the truth. haha

mali
November 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
I guess that she is VERY weird,lol!

lapushka
November 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
This would be hilarious if it weren't so painful a situation for you and if your mom wasn't that ignorant. :( Toxins. :roll:

I'm sure there are articles out there on puberty, hormones and how it affects your hair. Maybe she'll listen. Maybe not.

Here's one:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/why-does-hair-texture-change-throughout-life

TrudieCat
November 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
I'm wondering if you mother got that idea because sometimes people who lose hair due to chemotherapy will have their hair grow back in a different texture than what it was before? I mean, chemotherapy is a drug but it has some toxicity to it that causes the hair to fall out in the first place. :shrug: Not sure, just a thought I had about where that connection might have come from.

Anyway, I have dark circles that I believe are hereditary and my hair also became wavy when I was a teenager. Before that it was straight. I've never heard of anyone putting those things down to toxins. I mean, your body changes a lot as you get older and hair texture changes just seem to be a natural part of getting older - just like hair color changes, skin changes, body shape changes, etc.

chopandchange
November 22nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
The world must be full of a lot of toxic people, then, according to your mother. :rolleyes:

AnnaJamila
November 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hmm... You could go on a detox to prove her wrong and make yourself a little healthier!

"If you don't blow dry your hair will get moldy"

hehehe...

littlenvy
November 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I'm wondering if you mother got that idea because sometimes people who lose hair due to chemotherapy will have their hair grow back in a different texture than what it was before? I mean, chemotherapy is a drug but it has some toxicity to it that causes the hair to fall out in the first place. :shrug: Not sure, just a thought I had about where that connection might have come from.

Anyway, I have dark circles that I believe are hereditary and my hair also became wavy when I was a teenager. Before that it was straight. I've never heard of anyone putting those things down to toxins. I mean, your body changes a lot as you get older and hair texture changes just seem to be a natural part of getting older - just like hair color changes, skin changes, body shape changes, etc.
*nods head*

I second this.
I think your mom did not hear the whole story, only the part about toxins and waves. In a lot of cases after chemo, peoples hair grows in wavy or even curly. This lasts until all the chemicals are out of the body (about a year) and then the hair goes back to what it was before chemo.

Don't worry! Enjoy your waves.

(ps. What does your mom think? ... that if you straighten your hair it will take out the toxins?? :p)

MinderMutsig
November 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
(ps. What does your mom think? ... that if you straighten your hair it will take out the toxins?? :p) This.
Let's just for the sake of argument assume your mother is right and waves are caused by toxins. How is straightening it going to help fight the toxins? The only thing it would accomplish is damaging your hair even further. It just makes no sense!;)

mali
November 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
This.
Let's just for the sake of argument assume your mother is right and waves are caused by toxins. How is straightening it going to help fight the toxins? The only thing it would accomplish is damaging your hair even further. It just makes no sense!;)

No,she doesn't think that if you straighten your hair it will take the toxins out.She said that I needed to detox but she probably said I should straighten my hair because I had frizz or smth like that.WHICH DOESN'T HAPPEN TO A STRAIGHT HAIRED PERSON! Well,maybe it does but not in big amounts!

Dragon
November 23rd, 2010, 01:47 AM
I have never herd of that before.

Gladtobemom
November 23rd, 2010, 02:15 AM
Odd,

I've heard a LOT of hair myths . . . these are really out there.
I keep hearing the Twilight Zone music in my head.

FrannyG
November 23rd, 2010, 04:28 AM
It's funny how people will hear part of a story, then it changes and it morphs until it has the quality of a weird sort of urban legend that some people actually believe.

Well, I really don't think you need any sort of detox, and if your mother keeps at you about that again, you tell her that you want to speak to your doctor first. As you know, no regular doctor will allow you to go on any detox diet because you have wavy hair.

It will never get as far as actually having to get to the doctor anyway, because likely once you say that, your mother will back down.

Also, I have to say that I am extremely shocked by the number of young people here who have parents who want them to have straight hair. One of my kids is still a teen and the other not long out of her teens and I can honestly say that we couldn't have cared less if their hair was straight, wavy or curly. I really don't get what the fuss is.

Nae
November 23rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Oh no! The toxin fairy got your parents too!!!! I haven't heard that one fall out of their mouths yet but eek, if I sneeze it is toxins (or food allergies), if I have achey muscles---toxins/allergies, if anyone has any health related issues.........yep, you guessed it. Toxins or allergies.

They drive me crazy. I realize that they have been going to a new "doctor" who is into "alternative medicine" and that some of this stuff is really helping them. But they are coming home with some of the strangest ideas I have ever heard, not to mention huge amounts of vitamins to get rid of........yep, toxins.

They are getting older, and I get that they want to be healthy but eeeesh. So I feel your pain, I don't believe that toxins have any bearing on hair curlyness.

Igor
November 23rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Slight rant, but it really annoys me when people throw the word “toxin” out there. It’s almost always being used as some silly form of stupid-science buzzword.

Whenever I hear people use it, I always interrupt them and ask what “toxins” really is.
Then I stand for a few minutes with an expecting look on my face and watch people blab and “errrh” and “uhm” and “like” and “sorta” and “dunno” until they come to their own conclusion that they simply don’t know!

Its one of those ridiculous “cure-alls” that people who have no actual medical knowledge likes to use to explain whatever the self-decided, self-diagnosticed problem is :rolleyes:

Whenever someone starts telling you that your problem has something to do with “toxins”, stop paying attention to them. They don’t know what they are talking about. At all.

(And to explain what toxins are, it’s sort of like with pets vs. pests. A toxin can be an important “building block” (To put it very broadly) in your body, but if you have too much of it, it becomes a toxin. Sort of like a cute rat in your lap is your beloved pet, but the dirty rat coming out of your toilet is a disgusting pest.
So yes, the term “toxin” is very broad and unscientific, since real science would narrow it down to a term like haemochromatosis for instance, where the body absorbs more iron from the diet than it actually needs and iron thus becomes a toxin)

Babyfine
November 23rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Several people in my family got wavy/curly during puberty and both my mother and I got much wavier after 40/perimenopause.
My younger brother had straight blonde hair until he was 14, then he went to a 3a/ 3b ringlets(and is a light brown)
My son at 16 now has 3a/3b hair was straight until then. Beautiful curls, everyone comments on them
I was around a 1b-1c until puberty then went to a solid 2c- straightened out in my 20's and 30's and am now a wavy again after 45.
In short, I think it's hormones. Some people's hair changes with hormones.
Perhaps your mother did get the idea from the hair changes during chemo as others have suggested?

mali
November 23rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Igor and Franny G=>

Igor,you're right.It annoys me too.
FrannyG,agreeing.
Babyfine=> No,she wasn't refering to chemo.I think it's hormones too.
Nae,I guess you're right.That little fairy ! UGH!:o

sleepingIn
November 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Guess I'm toxic too!! *yay* for the toxic LHC'ers! Good for you for being informed though, parents just dont get it ;)

ktani
November 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
It's funny how people will hear part of a story, then it changes and it morphs until it has the quality of a weird sort of urban legend that some people actually believe.

Well, I really don't think you need any sort of detox, and if your mother keeps at you about that again, you tell her that you want to speak to your doctor first. As you know, no regular doctor will allow you to go on any detox diet because you have wavy hair.

It will never get as far as actually having to get to the doctor anyway, because likely once you say that, your mother will back down.

Also, I have to say that I am extremely shocked by the number of young people here who have parents who want them to have straight hair. One of my kids is still a teen and the other not long out of her teens and I can honestly say that we couldn't have cared less if their hair was straight, wavy or curly. I really don't get what the fuss is.

I second this very sensible advice. It sounds as if your mom has part of a story and does not really understand what she has been told, saw or read.

I see no point in arguing with her or getting upset. You should be in charge of your own hair.

Once the doctor has cleared you of any health problems things should quiet down. Detox, unless you have been exposed to or ingested something toxic, is a myth.

Have your doctor give you some information on that for your mom. It sounds as if she really does care and only wants the best for you. She just needs a better source of or more complete information than she has now.

Intransigentia
November 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Well, here I go totally agreeing. As soon as someone tries to sell you something by going on about "toxins" but not able to tell you what substance(s) they're talking about, what systems of the body they affect and how, or the general chemical action that causes the toxin in question to be removed or neutralised, you know you've met a snake oil salesperson.

ETA: Darnit that sounded like I'm implying that your mom is selling snake oil, and that's totally not what I meant. But it sure sounds like somebody tried to sell snake oil to her!

ktani
November 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
I started a thread on Detox a while back, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22340. It is big business.

mali
November 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
ktani,second that.
Intrasigentia,agreeing and :laugh:ing

enfys
November 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
I'm not going to go disagreeing with anything anyone else has said. It's quite funny, as long as you can see the humour in it, Mali.

I agree with Igor's rant about the "toxins". It's the type of word I can imagine becoming regulated at some point because it's so often used in relation to health when it is so vague.

ktani
November 23rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm not going to go disagreeing with anything anyone else has said. It's quite funny, as long as you can see the humour in it, Mali.

I agree with Igor's rant about the "toxins". It's the type of word I can imagine becoming regulated at some point because it's so often used in relation to health when it is so vague.

Detox is now a buzzword for mostly diets and "cleansings" that have no scientific basis whatsoever. It will indeed need to be regulated at some point before someone gets seriously ill from one of the stimulant, drug laden methods on the market, if they have not already done so.

enfys
November 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Detox is now a buzzword for mostly diets and "cleansings" that have no scientific basis whatsoever. It will indeed need to be regulated at some point before someone gets seriously ill from one of the stimulant, drug laden methods on the market, if they have not already done so.

AFAIK, it is not currently regulated here at least but you're absolutely right it should be. I think there has been talk of it, but there's talk of a lot of things!

ktani
November 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
AFAIK, it is not currently regulated here at least but you're absolutely right it should be. I think there has been talk of it, but there's talk of a lot of things!

This alert went out in 2006 for Detox Peptide and the page was updated in 2009, http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_fpa-ape_2006/2006_125b-eng.php
"Reason for Warning
On August 14, 2006, the Hong Kong Department of Health advised the public not to use this weight-loss product because it is adulterated with sibutramine, which is a prescription medication used to suppress appetite. Sibutramine should only be taken under the guidance of a health care professional.
Possible Side Effects
Use of sibutramine may cause serious side-effects, including vision problems and increased heart rate and blood pressure. Sibutramine should not be taken with medications that can affect the level of serotonin in the brain, such as antidepressants."

Charming!

This is most ironic, a recall for a contaminated detox body scrub, in 2009, http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ArchiveRecalls/2009/ucm182060.htm
"This voluntary recall was initiated by Arbonne as a result of discovering the presence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteria in the recalled lot. No other lots are affected. The organism Pseudomonas aeruginosa may cause dermatitis, soft tissue infections, bacteremia, and a variety of system infections, particularly with users who are immunosuppressed. Because the Foaming Sea Salt Scrub is used to exfoliate the skin’s surface, there is a possibility that inadvertent introduction of the tainted product directly into any skin abrasions could result in infection."

Coan-Teen
November 23rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Mali, maybe you could try sitting down with your mom and looking up articles on the computer about hormones and hair changes. I agree with what's already been said about asking a doctor before trying any kind of "detox" diet, even one suggested by your mother, and I'm sure that if you tell her you're concerned about the health risks and potential side effects, she would be more than happy to take you. Have her sit in on the appointment, and more importantly ask your doctor about hair changes due to hormones. ^_^ She may not feel the same way when she hears what he/she has to say.

Also try to remember that parents get a lot of conflicting information these days and that she just wants what's best for you. I don't mean to imply that she KNOWS best, just that she WANTS it. Sometimes parents need a little nudge back in the right direction, though, and you're obviously an intelligent person. I'm sure your mom knows that, too.

You could also try showing her the damage pictures in some of the articles on mechanical damage like straightening with a brush. =P

little_cherry
November 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure if this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-38239.html) has been posted...but I'll try anyway...

manderly
November 23rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
I always thought bread crusts caused my curls :eyebrows:

Coan-Teen
November 23rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
I always thought bread crusts caused my curls :eyebrows:

Maybe if I'd eaten a few I would have the curls I'd always dreamed of. :D

lostchyld
November 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
um, so that's a complete crock. Hair can change texture from toxins, but hair also changes naturally and, anyways, even if the texture change were from toxins, brushing and blowdrying won't remove those toxins. As proof that hair can change throughout life, I also had straight hair a munchkin and now have awesome curls that I recently discovered and am learning how to coexist with.

IMO, you shouldn't let her do it.

Honestwitness
November 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hmmm...wavy hair means I'm full of toxins? I wonder if this applies to pubic hair, too? I thought everyone had wavy pubic hair. I have never heard of hairs down under going straight after a detox program. Have you?

redheadlynn
November 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
From what I understand the curl of the hair is completely based on the shape and diameter of the follicle. Hair can change texture during puberty and into old age becuase of hormones. But I've never heard toxins...

If anything, toxins would cause thinning hair, hair loss, or brittle hair. Those with celiac disease (moi) who consume gluten can have hair issues. (Gluten = toxin for celiacs). If gluten gave me pretty waves, I'd likely still eat it!! hahaha

Hormones can cause major hair differences. My hair darkened to near black in some spots after my first pregnancy.

Weird logic. :/