PDA

View Full Version : My hair feels bleh!!! (Rant)

linnepinne
November 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
I get so frustrated with my horrible, scraggly, piecy, layered, straight and THIN hair!

I don't feel like it's getting any longer :( My ends feel dry and almost like they're gonna snap right off any day now. I've promised myself not to trim til Christmas, but I can feel my scissor hand itching! I've tried SMT's, heavy oiling, light oiling, not oiling, just CO-washing like normal and even clarifying, but nothing seems to help my dry ends.
I also feel totally uninspired when it comes to updos. Normally I wear my hair in a small tight bun with a hair stick (comfy and looks ok), and sometimes I'll do a ponytail. But ponytails are extremely unflattering on me bacuse of my hair texture and the shape of my head. No matter how high, low, centered or off I put it, it just looks sooooo boring and I look about 5 years old with the skinniest , peiciest pony ever! Am I the only one with this pony-problem?
And I can't really braid due to the layers. Since i've never really had my hair that long, I totally suck at braiding. Well I can make two english ones, richg behing my ears, but they look so pathetic! Small and tapering with bits of hair sticking out all over the place. I've tried to make a french braid, but my arms hurt so bad and I just seem to tangle up the different strands. I just feels like I'm not making any progress. :(:(:(

Any tips on what to do when your hair feels totally hopeless? And did you go through any period like this, feel free to share in this thread! Bleh bleh BLEH!

aenflex
November 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
Well have you thought about growing/cutting out the layers? I have thin hair as well, and have found that for me layers are a no-no. Here's what helps me keep it in check:
Satin sleep cap
Washing only 2 times per week
Sparingly use conditioner in the shower, rely on my leave in to tame frizz.
Not putting a multitude of different things in my hair, not using more than 4-5 key products in my routine.
Not having layers.
Frequent microtrims, keeping the ends up.
No BBB!
And more recently, using henna and hendigo mixes.
Good luck to you!!

CrisDee
November 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Even though I have a lot of hair, my individual hairs are super, UBER fine (someone described their similar hair as "spiderweb hair"), and I still have a lot of layers from my growing-out pixie. When my hair is your length, I put it up in a French twist, which works pretty well even with the layers. You gather your hair in a low pony, then twist it up as though you're making a peacock twist. Take the "tail" of the twist and fold it down, then tuck it into the twist, then fold the twist over the tuck. Secure with whatever - claw clip, French twist comb, Upzing, fork. Mine would hold like that all day - good luck! :flower:

spidermom
November 22nd, 2010, 10:44 AM
I think a small trim might brighten your attitude about your hair. I know that I can't stand fighting with dry, Velcro ends and must trim when I feel like that.

With thin hair, I think growing out the layers while trimming the bottom (hem) would give you a better result.

linnepinne
November 22nd, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies and tips!

Yes, i am growing my layers out. Stupid me got them when I last had my hair professionally cut in early may this year. That was before i decided to grow my hair long and i had some SERIOUS damage taken off. For some reason i still believed the myth that thin hair needs layers to make it look fuller... Well now i know better.
And I do plan to trim soon, but i've realized that it's very good for me to set up a goal like "not trimming til...", otherwhise i get the itches to trim waaaay to often. I easily get obsessed with certain things about my hair, and i try to keep my obsessions to a minimum.

I never seem to get the hang of french twists... My crown hair always get bubbly and strange. Might have to look into some youtube tutorials to if i'm making some sort of misstake with mine.

I have a couple of questions to aenflex:
Why not a BBB?
How do you prevent a silk sleeping cap from slipping off? I'm quite a spinner :)

Angelica
November 22nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Layers are a pain! I grew my hair from layers a long time ago. How I coped was putting it in curlers with loads of mousse and a ton of hairspray, not recommended on this board, but it worked for me.

I can't manage the sleeping caps either. There are others which tie though. Mine kept slipping off my head.

A French pleat could a good option. Pleats actually look very good with our hair.

Depending how long your hair is already, you may want to cut it one length in one go, I did that once. Got a bob and then grew from there, or if is so long you don't want to try that hair bands are good for keeping hair tidy.

Good luck :)

little_cherry
November 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
How about Damp oiling? That locks the moisture in. Also, what conditioner are you using? Is it protein free?

The pretty wrap (http://www.prettywrap.com/) doesn't slip off at all. I love mine! <3

SpinDance
November 22nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I'll take a look at the Pretty Wrap, but I haven't had luck with anything on my head. I use a silk pillowcase from http://www.dharmatrading.com/ (link thingy isn't working, sorry). Any smooth satin-type cloth or pillowcase will do.

If you are trying to grow out layers perhaps a scheduled, very small, micro trim might help, as well as freshen your ends?

If you haven't done tests with protein and cones, this may be a time to do so. I unexpectedly learned that my hair doesn't like cones after thinking it did for years. Dry, catching ends were one of my symptoms of coney-ness....