PDA

View Full Version : Possible Way to Prevent Chemo Hair loss

bluesnowflake
November 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
So I was reading the paper the other day and came across an article about these freezing caps they have developed that can prevent hair from falling out during chemo treatments. I know if I was diagnosed with cancer, the hair loss would be a very sad part for me. Even if it is unproven, it seems like a good idea. The only drawback is the high cost (and the possible discomfort of being so cold). I wonder if ice packs could prevent shedding in a similar way? It reminded me of the technique some members use (me included) of doing a cold rinse at the end of a shower to close the hair cuticle. Would you do it? I probably wouldn't- my life would be of more concern to me. But for some, especially if it turns out to work, it could be worth it for their self-esteem or as a small comfort.

Here is an article about it- I think you could probably find more by googling The Rapunzel Project

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/94666214.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU

And this is their website

http://www.rapunzelproject.org/

Neecola
November 22nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Really interesting!

Being a fan of natural/alternative remedies, I am not necessarily turned off by unconventional or scientifically unproven methods.

I think if I were in that position, I would be willing to try it, or as you suggested, some type of homemade icepack that is switched out every 30 minutes. Goodness knows I do just as strange things now for my hair without the immediate threat of completely losing it.

Thanks for sharing!

Forever_Sophie
November 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
I've heard it's very uncomfortable, and having been through chemo for leukemia, with everything else that's going on, I wouldn't want added discomfort with a freezing cap...

LawyerGirl
November 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
I saw this on Good Morning America a few weeks ago. I don't know if I would do it if it were me.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Not a chance. My only thought about having cancer and chemotherapy: will I survive, and will my survival for a few more years be worth the cost of treatment?

little_cherry
November 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Not a chance. My only thought about having cancer and chemotherapy: will I survive, and will my survival for a few more years be worth the cost of treatment?
This is what I would be thinking if I were in that position, too.

Angelica
November 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM
I have heard of this before, but am unsure if it practised in the UK or not.

I think if it helps boost someone with their self-confidence it can't harm and will perhaps help them on the road to recovery.

But wouldn't this give the patient a tremendous headache as well all that cold?

If a patient can tolerate it, I think why not?

lapushka
November 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
I haven't heard of ice caps, but I have heard of ice gloves to protect the nails from falling out.

aenflex
November 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM

I agree as well. I have never been in the postion and won't pretend to know what's best. And bless those of you out there that have had to go through it. :heart:

But for me, as I feel currently, Chemo would probably be my last option, I would have had to try everything else first. Not because I would lose my hair, at the point of needing chemo, my life will always be worth more than my hair, I just don't like the idea of the treatment.

Again, my warmest feelings to those of you who have suffered through it. I watched a documentary and learnt that a certain green plant that rhymes with ScarySauna really helps with chemo, with the sickness part of it.

kdaniels8811
November 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
As someone who HAS been in the position, I talked to people that actually used them and, no, it did not work. You would need to leave it on your head 24/7 since the chemo is in your body for a long time killing off new cells. The lady that tried the ice cap still lost half her hair and had big bald patches and ended up shaving anyway.

As far as the plant that helps with symptons, in the US we are drug tested and that would have prevented me from being employed (I am an engineer). I worked 40 hours a week while taking chemo - and being horribly ill. I was fortunate to be sick over the weekends when I did not have to work. Cancer is a very personal disease, I always said I would not take chemo and after researching my choices it turned out to be the best one. And I am a one year survivor next month. You cannot imagine what you would do until you are personally experiencing it. Losing my hair was awful, but not so bad as cutting my life off early. I have too much fun left to have to give up now!

bluesnowflake
November 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Wow- it's interesting to hear everyone's opinions. after reading more about it and the fact that it might not even work, I don't think I'd do it. If it came to chemo, my life would be more important. Bless all those who have had to go through this, for your strength and courage.