PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I am losing my hair!

rcatarina
June 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I desperately need your help. I have a hair situation: I am shedding like crazy!
Now, I have always been a bit of a “shedder” but I fear the situation is out of control. I have hair all over my house and I am afraid to even touch my hair because I know half of it would stay in my hand. I don’t know what to do. I haven’t changed my hair routine (I wanted to learn more about hair before I did that), I don’t use heat and I haven’t colored my hair in ages.
Please help! I’m becoming afraid that my hair is going to fall off (the shedding is THAT intense).:(
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

akurah
June 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Have you been to a doctor?

Have you been diagnosed with any illnesses recently?

Has your diet changed at all?

Has your stress levels changed at all?

Have your medicines changed at all?

Your water (both drinking and washing hair)?

Riot Crrl
June 2nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
I agree with all questions posed by akurah, but I have an additional one:

Given birth any time in the last year or two?

Phalaenopsis
June 2nd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Good questions, akurah.
I had the same problem rcatarina. It was a zinc shortage, because the bacteria in my bowels were low so I didn't take up enough vitamins.
Get yourself checked as quickly as possible.

Toadstool
June 2nd, 2008, 01:32 AM
Have you had your thyroid levels checked?
I would go to the doctor's as quickly as possible. Good luck!

Saranne772
June 2nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
I would go to the doctors to be checked out as soon as possible

rcatarina
June 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Thank you everyone!

I was thinking about going to the doctor if I saw no improvement soon. In the beginning I thought the shedding might be due to stress caused by exams, but I've been without exams for a while and the shedding continues. And it never happened to me before... Nothing else has happened with regards to akurah's questions.
I just hope the doctor can help me! I was so exciting about starting taking proper care of my hair and now this...

Thank you all again! Off to call my doctor!

Phalaenopsis
June 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Please let us know what the outcome is :flower:
I hope it's nothing too serious!

froglet
June 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, stress can cause some severe shedding (speaking from experience, here) but when you go to the doc make sure they check your hormonal levels as well, particularly your androgens, as well as estrogens & progesterone. High androgens (yet again, experience :)) can cause hair loss.

glitterati
June 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
is your scalp ok? ie, do you find build up under your nails if you scratch your scalp? I ask bc i had an awful shedding period a couple of years ago that was the result of terrible build up on scalp from CO.

also, what's your diet like? I used to also be a shedder, losing about 100 hairs a day. As soon as I cleaned up my diet (eating tons of vegetables and fruits, cutting out sugar and white flour, etc), my shedding virtually stopped. Now, I lose 10-30 hairs a day.

Katja
June 3rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your shedding problem. I have been experiencing excess shedding lately, but not as scary as what you describe. Good luck in finding a solution!

LynnM
June 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Aww! I know how frustrating it can be to shed excessively - every time I am pregnant I shed like CRAZY - like, clumps of hair in the shower, etc. Also right before that time of the month. So for me, it's hormonal. But as the previous posters have mentioned, a lot of things can affect hair growth, including illness, lack of specific nutrients, stress, changes in sleep patterns, etc.

aww. Keep everyone posted!

Caldonia Sun
June 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM
A year ago, I had a major shed that caused visible thinning at the temples. I didn't want to pull my hair back because my scalp was showing. I would lose so much hair when I washed and it really frightened me. I had been chemical-free for over a year, so I couldn't blame products. I had my thyroid checked and it was fine, so I chalked it up to either hormones (I'm somewhere in the menopausal circus) or stress, which I had a really lot of prior to the shed. The good news is, one year later, those thin spots have filled in and everything is pretty much back to normal.

I hope you find the reason for your shed. Good luck.

Marysmirth
June 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I found that when I started to take a regimen of vitamins, my shedding decreased. Hopefully all you need are some good vitamins.

Ellenna
June 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone! First of all I wanted to say that I just love this forum! you guys are great!
I have a question. How many hair a day that you lose you consider to be normal? Ans also do you shed only long hairs or short ones as well?
My hair are dry and I wash it only once a week. When I comb/brush it after washing I lose about 50-80 strands. Is it ok if I wash only once a week? What do you think?Really need your advise. I am worried about that but perhaps I shouldnt.
Thank you! And sorry for my English:rolleyes:

Fillette
June 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your shedding problem. I really hope you find a solution soon. I have no particular advice... Except that while you are trying to figure out what's wrong, try not to handle your hair too much. Protect it the best way you can. It may not solve your problem but at least it might minimize the shedding.

Melian
June 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Your shed hair count sounds normal. Normal people can shed up to 100-150 hairs a day.
May I ask how old you are? There is some time between 18-20 that you tend to go through a large shed.
My sheds are seasonal. I shed more than average (for me average)every year more in August.

LynnM
June 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Your shed hair count sounds normal. Normal people can shed up to 100-150 hairs a day.
May I ask how old you are? There is some time between 18-20 that you tend to go through a large shed.
My sheds are seasonal. I shed more than average (for me average)every year more in August.

Whoa! How long did it take you to notice the pattern?

Angellen
June 5th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Actually, seasonal shedding is pretty common. It happens to a lot of (most?) people and I've read that this is due to our being animals and having shedding periods to make room for our summer/winter coats. Or something like that. Most people don't notice the shed, but some know because they track shed rates and some because they go through a shed with no medical reason behind it.

The second paragraph might shed (no pun intended) some light on the shedding:

http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa015.shtml

Ellenna
June 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Thank you very much for your support!:o
I am 23 and also heard that at certain age people can go through a major shedding. Well I guess as long as if my volume dsnt change that should be alright...

LynnM
June 5th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Actually, seasonal shedding is pretty common. It happens to a lot of (most?) people and I've read that this is due to our being animals and having shedding periods to make room for our summer/winter coats. Or something like that. Most people don't notice the shed, but some know because they track shed rates and some because they go through a shed with no medical reason behind it.

The second paragraph might shed (no pun intended) some light on the shedding:

http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa015.shtml

That is just plain cool. Well, not cool to experience, but cool from a biology standpoint... :D Thanks!

whitesnake
June 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone,

I desperately need your help. I have a hair situation: I am shedding like crazy!
Now, I have always been a bit of a “shedder” but I fear the situation is out of control. I have hair all over my house and I am afraid to even touch my hair because I know half of it would stay in my hand. I don’t know what to do. I haven’t changed my hair routine (I wanted to learn more about hair before I did that), I don’t use heat and I haven’t colored my hair in ages.
Please help! I’m becoming afraid that my hair is going to fall off (the shedding is THAT intense).:(
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

please do check if u ve dandruff or sebor. dermatitis...extreme fungal infection...happened with me...and nizoral shampoo controlled it a week .....take care:)

busnutmedic
June 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yes, stress can cause some severe shedding (speaking from experience, here) but when you go to the doc make sure they check your hormonal levels as well, particularly your androgens, as well as estrogens & progesterone. High androgens (yet again, experience :)) can cause hair loss.

That's very interesting as I have been losing hair (over the past few years) and I have also gotten acne in the past few years, which I have never had like this before.

I wonder if I should get blood work done. What would I tell the doctor? Just that I have an idea something might be amiss due to my hair thinning and I want tests done?

Bonnie