PDA

View Full Version : I think my hair doesn't want me to dye anymore

eamane
November 22nd, 2010, 04:54 AM
I'm shedding like a maniac and after last time with semi permanent dye, I had about a million split ends and the S&D-session I did then took forever. Add to that it seems like my hair is shrinking instead of growing :( I suppose it was all the S&D that took most of it and then shedding the rest of my longer hairs. I still have a few hairs reaching down just past hip but the rest seems to have shrunken to barely waist again...
Should I stop dyeing and go greyish blond? I love my blackish hair but I don't want to loose lenght to S&D every time I dye...

leslissocool
November 22nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
what about trying henna? Body grade henna is nourishing to your hair. I had bleach my hair 7 times back when it was long, and it looked like a wig. I cut it, colored it back to the original color, and then started growing. But I still used chemicals.

I just tried henna like a day ago. I cannot believe how amazing it is for my hair! It's weird when it's wet, and it takes a long time to put on your hair, but it's the best thing I have ever done to my hair other than oiling. I cannot express how happy I am when I sun my fingers through my hair. I really think it repaired (even if temporary) a lot of the abuse it had. I have 4 inches bleached left, and about 22 inches died black left, and my hair is just feels like silk.

aenflex
November 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Hendigo... I had excellent colour and conditioning results with Lush Caca Brun. The photo in my signature is my hair just a few days after the Caca Brun. Solid, dark colour and no nasty chemicals :)

Tia2010
November 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hendigo... I had excellent colour and conditioning results with Lush Caca Brun. The photo in my signature is my hair just a few days after the Caca Brun. Solid, dark colour and no nasty chemicals :)

I had a question...Is hendigo permanent like Henna? If the OP ( or I ;) ) do hendigo to try to achieve a dark color is there a grow out period required if you hate it or will hendigo eventually fade out of the hair so your left with your natural color again ?

OP ...I also dye ( semi permanant) to try to get darker colored hair. Do they dye your hair all over each time or just do a root touch up?

leslissocool
November 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
Henna is permanent if done enough times (for some people i takes only once), I'd say that hennindigo is too, but correct me if i'm wrong.

Eire
November 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
I had a question...Is hendigo permanent like Henna? If the OP ( or I ;) ) do hendigo to try to achieve a dark color is there a grow out period required if you hate it or will hendigo eventually fade out of the hair so your left with your natural color again ?

OP ...I also chemically dye ( semi permanant) to try to get darker colored hair. Do they dye all over each time or just a root touch up?

I use Lush Caca Brun, and it fades a bit after the first 2 weeks (it applies rather dark) but I'm pretty sure all hennas and henna/indigo mixes are permanent.

ravenreed
November 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I don't get split ends with my demi-permanent dye and I use it about every 3 weeks. However, I use coconut oil on my hair prior to dyeing and let it sit about an hour. I have also become a catnip rinse convert. Between those two things, my hair is in better shape than it ever has been, dyed or virgin.

eamane
November 22nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
I used to hendigo my hair before, I have also done it in two applications but I shed huge amounts of hair every time and I don't know if I want to loose any more right now :( Also, last time, the indigo didn't take so my hair stayed red...
Coconut oil is a constant part of my hair care although I haven't put it on before dyeing. Perhaps it would work with the splits but hardly with the post dyeing shed?
Catnip is also included in my routines,since a few weeks at least, not that I have noticed any difference but...
It doesn't seem to work for me any more with hair dye :(

lundmir
November 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Check this thread, it has saved my hair!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495

spidermom
November 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
I'd say your scalp has become sensitized to dye; best stop.

jaine
November 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
The indigo part of henndigo will fade a little bit ...for some people it fades more than for others.
The henna part is permanent.
So if you dye it black with both of them it will probably fade to a reddish brown eventually.

jaine
November 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Also, last time, the indigo didn't take so my hair stayed red...

Did you include salt in your mix? A pinch of salt is essential to get indigo to stick.
Did you put the indigo on right after you mixed it with water or did you wait? The indigo loses its dyeing power after about an hour.

ravenreed
November 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
I oil heavily and leave it in while dyeing. Also, are you sure the shedding is related to the dyeing? I shed a bit more on dye days, but I also rinse a lot.

Xandergrammy
November 23rd, 2010, 05:15 AM
My hair and scalp are much happier since I gave up dyeing my hair. It's definitely something to think about.

Avital88
November 23rd, 2010, 05:24 AM
That is actually the main reason why i dont dye my hair at the moment.
I would like to make it darker with a semi permanent dye because i dont want to stick with almost black hair forever(especially due to outgrowing)
But the last time i used it i had so many splits!!So i do think its because of the dye.
Try not to use it for 3 months and keep on s&ding or like leslissocool said: try henna.

Good luck!

eamane
November 24th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Thank you for all replys, I'll try to answer all.

>lundmir: Thank you for that thread, I'll look it through!

>spidermom: This is pretty much what I suspect too :(

>jaine: I always include salt and I applied pure indigo twice after doing hendigo, it still stayed red :( Maybe I'm too grey or I had gotten a bad batch :(

>ravenreed: I shed a lot every day right now but much much more right after dyeing.

>Xandergrammy: I think I will have to go dye free too...

>Avital88: A trial period of a few months sounds reasonable, and perhaps try henna/indigo/katam after that... But no more chemical dye I think :rolleyes: