PDA

View Full Version : How to grow in winter???

dontcallmejessi
November 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM
I'm still wanting to grow but the cold winter air hates my hair. It is getting so dry and doesn't like to curl anymore unless it is rainy outside. Which is really frustrating me but it also shows how dry the air and my hair is. My ends are getting really thin so I know i'm suffering lots of breakage even though I've trimmed my ends several times. And I'm shedding like crazy. So what am I missing? what can I do to protect my hair from this dreadful winter air so that I can continue to grow without breakage? I prefer to wear it down and enjoy it if at all possible. But I'm getting kind of desperate. Any help???

jojo
November 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM
I got told off somebody last year to change from coconut oil to mustard oil in winter and I have to say my hair has really benefited from it, just apply to bottom 3-4" and bun, I also put a smidgen to smooth my flyaways. It smells for about an hour, but it really does soften and bring back waves and curls, plus its very inexpensive.

Also hats are a must too!

Madora
November 21st, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'd keep it away from the cold elements as much as possible. That usually means up dos.

Also, wear a wool hat. If you're wearing your hair loose, then part it down the back, and then criss cross it in front of your neck. Your coat or jacket will provide the needed protection to keep those strands warm and untangled.

The hair is affected when you go from frigid conditions into a protected environment. You can remove the hat when indoors, but put it back on when you go outside again.

The above advice is per Dr. George Michael, the world renowned "Czar of Long Hair".

spidermom
November 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Gentle up-dos are really good advice for growing hair during any season.

Chamomile betty
November 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Gentle up-dos are really good advice for growing hair during any season.

I agree. I have been bunning my hair for the last few months and my hair has been protected from the elements. Also, keep your hair moisturized inside by keeping hair in a damp undo. Our furnace really dries my hair out so I keep it up and damp when I am home.

Hth

Gabriel
November 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM
I say this a lot on here... but it helps me so much when the weather gets dry.

A humidifier for your home or the room where you spend most of your time (even if that's just the bedroom while you are sleeping) will really help with the dryness.

dontcallmejessi
November 21st, 2010, 06:27 PM
I was afraid I'd need to resort to updos and covering my hair up. Tho I must say I have been neglecting to oil which I have gotten away with but maybe I can't get away with omitting this anymore? My ends are getting so thin even tho I've trimmed several times I can't stand it. Guess I can't be lazy anymore

chelles2kids
November 21st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Everyone has already given you such good advice already but I wanted to add for me personally, my winter hair care routine is much different than my Spring/Summer hair care routine.

So don't be surprised if you have to change you're routine/products some in order to accomodate the changes.

I add in alot of CO'ing the wintertime, not that I'm saying for you specifically that this will help but for myself the extra moisture seems to help considerably.
Other than CO'ing, or when I get tired of it:p, I do tend to add some kind of oiling into my routine.

Also a weekly deep conditioning, which is also something that I've been very lax in for awhile now.
Also oilings seem to help alot of people as well, which I guess depending on how you look at it, an oiling could be substituted for a deep conditioning treatment or done in place of.

I try to never go out with wet hair in the wintertime, not only is it colder, I just can't imagine, as Madora already mentioned, going from one temp. extreme to another just couldn't be good for it.

For me, updos in the wintertime seem harder for me to make myself do on a daily basis.
It's cold outside and I like to wear my hair down more to help keep me warm but* I do try hard to protect my ends as much as possible which of course this means more updos. But I will say this is something that I struggle with.:o

Just know you are not alone with this winter hair care thing.
I think alot of us struggle with trying to rework our routine in order to make our hair behave.:grouphug:

dontcallmejessi
November 22nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Wow, one good coconut milk soak has definately woken my hair back up. Happy hair, happy happy hair dance :cheese::cheese::cheese:

I just need to listen to it more and give it more moisture. Waaaayyyy more moisture apparently.

I am pleased to report that my hair & I are on speaking terms again :D Well u know, I speak, it listens, somthing like that :p