PDA

View Full Version : elastic hair?

vanessa_2010
November 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM
My hair is "elastic", and I was wondering the reason. By elastic I mean that if I take one hair and pull from both ends, my hair will stretch. Is that normal??

Speckla
November 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Does it go back to it's normal shape or does the strand stay stretched out and shaped different? That usually means you need a bit of protein.

vanessa_2010
November 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM
Does it go back to it's normal shape or does the strand stay stretched out and shaped different? That usually means you need a bit of protein.

It goes back to normal..

Speckla
November 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM
It means you have healthy, well moisturized hair. Hair should have some stretch to it. That helps it resist breakage.

vanessa_2010
November 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM
It means you have healthy, well moisturized hair. Hair should have some stretch to it. That helps it resist breakage.

Ok, I´m relieved to read that, thanks! :)

pepperminttea
November 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
There was a shampoo advert a few years ago that stated healthy hair can stretch to double its length before breaking. I don't know if they were right, but fiddling with shed hairs, mine can stretch quite a bit before they break. :)

christine1989
November 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Mine too! It stretches to about a third its length but returns to normal. I have heard that stretching is healthy but some sources say that breaking is heathiest :confused:. Is stretching good?

gthlvrmx
September 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM
There was a shampoo advert a few years ago that stated healthy hair can stretch to double its length before breaking. I don't know if they were right, but fiddling with shed hairs, mine can stretch quite a bit before they break. :)

hmm i wonder if this is true. Double its length? thats quite a bit of stretching actually!! im wondering because my hair seems more stretchy right now and im used to having my hair snap after i pull my hair, it only used to stretch a tiny bit.

i think its a problem when its too weak and it has kinks in it from bunning even when DRY bunning it, kinks form and then snag onto other hairs causing tangles. lots of them. this happened to me once when i applied EVOO on really wet-just-got-out-of-the-shower hair.

i wonder if anyone has anything else to add onto the shampoo advert! that sounds kinda too much isnt it? im not sure, double the length is a lot to me but i wouldnt know.

BlazingHeart
September 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Double its length? No way. Think about it - for us longhairs, just how much double length would be. My hair is healthy (never had any chemical treatments, good moisture levels), and it stretches less than 25% before snapping.

I suspect just how much hair stretches when healthy varies from person to person, but I can't imagine healthy hair stretching more than 4x as much as mine does.

The main thing to look for is whether the hair returns to its original length after being stretched. If it does that, you're in good shape. If it doesn't, you need some protein.

gthlvrmx, are you sure the kinks are weakness and not just a textural thing? EVOO shouldn't cause weakness. For some people, me included, it does dramatically increase tangling, though. That's one of the reasons I won't touch it.

~Blaze

gthlvrmx
September 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Double its length? No way. Think about it - for us longhairs, just how much double length would be. My hair is healthy (never had any chemical treatments, good moisture levels), and it stretches less than 25% before snapping.

I suspect just how much hair stretches when healthy varies from person to person, but I can't imagine healthy hair stretching more than 4x as much as mine does.

The main thing to look for is whether the hair returns to its original length after being stretched. If it does that, you're in good shape. If it doesn't, you need some protein.

gthlvrmx, are you sure the kinks are weakness and not just a textural thing? EVOO shouldn't cause weakness. For some people, me included, it does dramatically increase tangling, though. That's one of the reasons I won't touch it.

~Blaze

well i only got kinks when it felt mushy and too soft, it stretched way too far. i got kinks in the end from the bun i put it in and it just came out weird and got all tangled together. after i cut a trim and put some protein in my hair, i didnt have anymore kinks.
i read before on here that someone said that because theres too much moisture and is lacking protein, it cant retain its own natural shape so it can bend more and get kinks. but i dunno thats what i read and made sense into what was happening to me.
my hair has been dryer now but even then, no kinks from my bunning.

evoo causes more tangles? no way.

Alex Lou
September 12th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Just found a really coarse shed hair and tried it out. It stretched to way more than double before I broke it. Then I tried with a fine hair (I have all different thicknesses) and it broke almost right away.