PDA

View Full Version : Features Question & Answer Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Stephanie
March 7th, 2008, 02:27 PM
This thread is for questions regarding new features. Members, if you know the solution to a fellow members question, please feel free to chime in! There's a lot to take in right now, so any help we, the staff, can get, the easier our jobs will be during this transition.

Thanks guys!

Stagecoach
March 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM
So, can we have two blogs like before? One for hair care and the other for photos?

I'm just wondering! Thanks!

Jennifer
March 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
So, can we have two blogs like before? One for hair care and the other for photos?

I'm just wondering! Thanks!

We have personal photo albums now that you'd use instead of a photo journal. :) Look in your user cp. People can leave comments on your blog or photo albums. You can choose to have these private for friends only if you wish.

You can also post pictures in your blog of course, if you want.

Stagecoach
March 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Humm, I'm still having trouble finding my photo blog... I'm probably staring straight at it!

LilyMunster
March 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I would to start a Silver Society.
I swear I read 'social groups' somewhere.
How do I go about this?
Sharing info on grey hair care etc. would be most useful.

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I can't find mine, either. Perhaps it wasn't added to the UserCP, and only to the ModCP and AdminCP?

TammySue
March 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Where do we find our personal photo album? Thanks!

And why isn't my signature showing up?

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Where do we find our personal photo album? Thanks!

And why isn't my signature showing up?
The signatures have a whole bunch of new rules. We're having a rollickingly confusing time over here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=163), if you need help with yours.

thetokenlady
March 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm having siggy troubles. I have a 175x260, 2.5k non-animated picture that is apparently too big? Hmmph, and here I've been having fun with my meez! :p

FrannyG
March 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Is there still a 60 day/ 100 posts system in place for new members? Will there be any private boards, or do we have to make sure that we have everyone in our friend list? That could end up being a very large list! :p

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Is there still a 60 day/ 100 posts system in place for new members? Will there be any private boards, or do we have to make sure that we have everyone in our friend list? That could end up being a very large list! :p
I believe the off-topic boards are private.

TammySue
March 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hi Franny!!!

(Back to trying to figure things out. LOL!)

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I'm having siggy troubles. I have a 175x260, 2.5k non-animated picture that is apparently too big? Hmmph, and here I've been having fun with my meez! :p
Yes, there are a whole bunch of new signature rules. We've started a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=163) for signature help, if you'd care to join us.

Patrycja
March 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM
um,I don't know if this is the right place to post this but...what happened to the admirers,guru's,etc?

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Good question! (Maybe they fell into the abyss? :grin:)

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Stupid question, here. Are our old journals gone? Do we start over with blogs?

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I think so. The archives are still there, but we can't access them, since the site notice is blocking everything from being viewed.

LilyMunster
March 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Okay, I was not just imagining this.
In the user CP it lists Social Groups.
I would like to start a
silver haired,
opinionated,
grandchild chasing,
pistol packing,
smile when u say that,
what are you lookin at
Social Group.
Maybe I'll just start with the Silver part.
How?

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I don't think we can, otherwise there would probably be a whole bunch.

I'd join a college-age and SoCal living one! :grin:

Patrycja
March 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
and I'll join "I have no idea how to work this new LHC"social group

Shermie Girl
March 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Let me in on that one. Social groups... Friends lists... All this new stuff is making my poor brain hurt. Once I learn how to use all of it, it should all be fun, but until then I am just going to be a mess. A mess, I tell you. :o

LilyMunster
March 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
(the spitting & laughing smilie here) iLovemycop!
I'll join that one too.
Our own version of LOST.
And the air-dropped supplies are all hair products and toys.;)

Anje
March 7th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I've got a message saying that my PM box is 100% full, with a total of 29 messages, all read. (Now I happen to know I had about 3 PMs in my box before LHC went down.) I told it to "Empty Folder", but it still says I've got 29 messages, of 25 allowed.

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Same here. I'm totally confused.

Lamb
March 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I am having trouble finding my photo album - also, why am I not allowed to post attachments? Heck, I was a guru before LHC's rise from the ashes!

LilyMunster
March 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Why is there no little dot in threads I have replied to?
How can I get my custom pink color back?

Why is stephanie pulling all her hair out and running down the street buck nekkid?!?

Liluri
March 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
There is no Conventional Products and Hair Accessories forum yet do I post in the henna thread for it to be shifted or should I be patient and wait please? I'd like to know which is going to be easier for you :)

Darian Moone
March 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
The signatures have a whole bunch of new rules. We're having a rollickingly confusing time over here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=163), if you need help with yours.

Thanks for providing the link Snowbear. I've been having one heck of a time trying to get my photo up.

I'm soooo confuzzled!

AutumnLeaves
March 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I see the blog entry under UserCP but no photo albums. I do see some links for photobucket in some signatures, however...hmmm...

AutumnLeaves
March 7th, 2008, 07:15 PM
To put photo in signatures:

Upload your photo on the "edit signature" page.

Click the "Insert Signature Photo" that is I think blue and comes up next to your uploaded photo.

This puts something like [SIGPIC][SIGPIC] up in your signature block. Then it got tricky. After playing around some more, I right clicked on my picture and selected "COPY".

Then I went up between the ] and the [ and right clicked and selected "PASTE". Miraculously the picture showed up. Hope this helps some of you.

Now...still not seeing the photo album option under UserCP...

curls2grow
March 7th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I think so. The archives are still there, but we can't access them, since the site notice is blocking everything from being viewed.
Hi snowbear -- have you heard if we are going to be given any amount of time to try to download our old journals -- I understand if we can't put the old stuff back on LHC, but I would just like to get the info from my old one downloaded onto my computer for reference.

Anje
March 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM
So Stephanie has probably run away from the question bombardment, but I would like to know if/how we can get members' hair types to display? I'm not seeing type or length classifications, and it'd be nice to have those again.

Snowymoon
March 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
In the review section, would it be possible to add "ingredients" to the description header? :) That way we could put ingredients up there too for easy reference. :D

Clare-Dragonfly
March 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Okay... what exactly are "friends" and "contacts"? I've been adding lots of people as friends even though I don't know what it does ;)

Pegasus Marsters
March 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM
My signature is broken. I'm too drunk for this. Can someone fix it for me?

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi snowbear -- have you heard if we are going to be given any amount of time to try to download our old journals -- I understand if we can't put the old stuff back on LHC, but I would just like to get the info from my old one downloaded onto my computer for reference.
No idea, sorry. Steph's opened the Archives for viewing, but I can only view my PMs.

Okay... what exactly are "friends" and "contacts"? I've been adding lots of people as friends even though I don't know what it does ;)
So far all I can tell is that it's the same as the old "buddies" thing on the older version of LHC. Perhaps, though, it's similar to the same feature on TBB, and thus you can make a blog entry private, and viewable only to your friends.

My signature is broken. I'm too drunk for this. Can someone fix it for me?
I replied to you in the siggy thread. (Answer: Yes. :lol:)

moonchaser
March 7th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I posted this earlier but it disappeared. Where do we go to see our subscribed blogs?

How "private" are the blogs?

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I posted this earlier but it disappeared. Where do we go to see our subscribed blogs?

How "private" are the blogs?
This link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog_subscription.php?do=userlist), which I found by clicking "Blog Options", and then looking in the lefthand menu, where "Your Blog" is located.

Blogs are public, but under the settings, you can make them viewable to friends-only--I think. :)

Clare-Dragonfly
March 7th, 2008, 11:54 PM
So far all I can tell is that it's the same as the old "buddies" thing on the older version of LHC. Perhaps, though, it's similar to the same feature on TBB, and thus you can make a blog entry private, and viewable only to your friends.

:crazyq: I don't remember a "buddies" thing... at all.

I hope it's the latter, because that's something I can understand!

snowbear
March 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM
:crazyq: I don't remember a "buddies" thing... at all.

I hope it's the latter, because that's something I can understand!
On the old version, in each member's profile there was a "add to buddy list" and a "add to ignore list" feature about halfway down. That was underused, though. Most people probably didn't know what it was.

moonchaser
March 8th, 2008, 12:00 AM
So Stephanie has probably run away from the question bombardment, but I would like to know if/how we can get members' hair types to display? I'm not seeing type or length classifications, and it'd be nice to have those again.

Go into your control panel and select Edit your details. You can re-enter your info. and it should show up.

physicschick
March 8th, 2008, 12:02 AM
To change privacy settings: Click on "Blogs" up top, then on your "Blog CP" on the lefthand menu. You can change the settings for what your contacts/friends can do (presumably you want them to read and comment) and what everyone else can do (perhaps you don't want them to read your entries). As far as I can tell, the settings apply to your whole blog. I don't think you can control it entry-by-entry.

moonchaser
March 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
The only options that you can choose on each posting, in the blog, is whether you are allowing comments, or not.

Cinnamon Hair
March 8th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Once your subscribe to your favorite blogs, how do you find a page with a list of them?

Velvettt
March 8th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Click on "Blogs" at the top, then on the left you find "Blog control panel". You'll see "Blog Subscriptions" there.

Cinnamon Hair
March 8th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Thanks Velvettt! I had looked at the control panel but didn't notice it revealed new options on the left menu. I found it now!

WavyGirl
March 8th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I can't see anything about photo albums either. Is the 100 quality post count re-starting from zero?

jel
March 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Hm, I'm slightly apprehensive about the new friends/contacts thing. I always thought and behaved as if the whole of LHC was a big bunch of friends. This way, I'm afraid that I would forget to invite someone and then they would be offended... (what really worries me is that no-one will want to be my friend!!!) :silly:

Another question - are the Meet boards going to be added, or is that function now somewhere else?

This is all a big adventure! :D

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Same concern here really.. I'd have to add the entire 100+ posts folks as friends.. :S

Just_Isabel
March 8th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Can non-members view our blogs too? Or only TLHC member?

ETA: If it's not possible to allow all LHC member that have the 100 posts /60 days to view the blog, allowing members would be the "next best thing", I think, and I'd leave my hair journal/blog "public".
If anyone, even unregistered people can view the blog (and find it with google) I think I'll make it private.

Hmm... decisions, decisions... :lol:

Amnell
March 8th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I cant find any photoalbums on my UserCP and my Group Memberships says im Member Level 2 with 25+ posts
Where are my other 100 Posts?

florenonite
March 8th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Is there an easy way to add everyone with the 100 posts/60 days to our contact list? I don't want my blog to be visible to anyone, but because I see the entire community as just that, a community, I want everyone to be able to see my blog, and not just people whose usernames I remember to add (because there are a lot!)

Just_Isabel
March 8th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Is there an easy way to add everyone with the 100 posts/60 days to our contact list? I don't want my blog to be visible to anyone, but because I see the entire community as just that, a community, I want everyone to be able to see my blog, and not just people whose usernames I remember to add (because there are a lot!)

When you find a solution, please let me know. :)
I have the same problem as you.

Alley Cat
March 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM
When you find a solution, please let me know. :)
I have the same problem as you.
I am thinking along the same lines. :confused:

Patrycja
March 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM
(the spitting & laughing smilie here) iLovemycop!
I'll join that one too.
Our own version of LOST.
And the air-dropped supplies are all hair products and toys.;)
hehe I'm glad I'm not the only one that is lost as a duck.

ok-another question-how can we make our blogs all pretty like Steph's?

Anje
March 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Go into your control panel and select Edit your details. You can re-enter your info. and it should show up.
No, no. Mine's all re-entered. But I'm not seeing anyone's next to posts.

darkwaves
March 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
What a lot to learn!!!

But good to see LHC back again.

Delila
March 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
No, no. Mine's all re-entered. But I'm not seeing anyone's next to posts.

I don't see it either, or my own, FWIW.

I do know that as time has gone on, features and elements that weren't there at first have begun to reappear, so maybe it's just another one of those things that'll eventually be added back in.

(I'm worn out just exploring the site, anyone else? Whew. This is great.)

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I would like to start a
silver haired,
opinionated,
grandchild chasing,
pistol packing,
smile when u say that,
what are you lookin at
Social Group.
How?

Whenever you figure out how to start it, I'm "in", okay???

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I hope I can ask this question so that it makes sense. Okay.... I've received many friend requests (thanks :grin:) and I've accepted them. Does that automatically make them MY friends or do I have to send them a separate request?

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM

You're not along....I'm right behind you, ilovemycop. I'm so glad this thread was started. Have so many questions.

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I believe the off-topic boards are private.

What does that mean?

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I left a 'Comment' in morticia's blog and there's a little icon attached to it that means 'Moderated Comment'. What does that mean? Did I moderate it?.....a mod moderate it? Is this good or bad?

Are we able to name our blog? Like my old blog at TLHC was named 'At Long Last' and I could give each entry a different 'title' each day, for me either nameing the day of the week or a hint to the subject for the day.

...more to come.

jel
March 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I left a 'Comment' in morticia's blog and there's a little icon attached to it that means 'Moderated Comment'. What does that mean? Did I moderate it?.....a mod moderate it? Is this good or bad?

Are we able to name our blog? Like my old blog at TLHC was named 'At Long Last' and I could give each entry a different 'title' each day, for me either nameing the day of the week or a hint to the subject for the day.

...more to come.

Yay, I know this one (these two)!

1. Morticia has left the 'moderate all comments' box ticked (as the default) and no-one else will be able to see your comment until she approves.

2. Yes, if you go to the Blog Control Panel in the Options on the left of the blog page, you can select Blog Title and Description.

HTH!

Unnamed
March 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM
What does that mean?

I believe the private part (ETA: for the off-topic boards) refers to that only members can view it--ie, so you have to be signed in to the forums, and those that aren't members won't see it.

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hm, I'm slightly apprehensive about the new friends/contacts thing. I always thought and behaved as if the whole of LHC was a big bunch of friends. This way, I'm afraid that I would forget to invite someone and then they would be offended... (what really worries me is that no-one will want to be my friend!!!) :silly:

Another question - are the Meet boards going to be added, or is that function now somewhere else?

This is all a big adventure! :D

I have a lot of questions about this, too. But, I think that any member can view your blog unless you put them on an 'Ignore' list.
I need to get a grasp for what privileges/limitations exactly go with someone being your 'friend' and likewise, your 'contact'.

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Yay, I know this one (these two)!

1. Morticia has left the 'moderate all comments' box ticked (as the default) and no-one else will be able to see your comment until she approves.

2. Yes, if you go to the Blog Control Panel in the Options on the left of the blog page, you can select Blog Title and Description.

HTH!

Thank you so much, jel.
....and, I actually figured out the answer to #2 myself....can you imagine?

Clare-Dragonfly
March 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I hope I can ask this question so that it makes sense. Okay.... I've received many friend requests (thanks :grin:) and I've accepted them. Does that automatically make them MY friends or do I have to send them a separate request?

I think it works like some other social network sites--the reason there's a request that has to be accepted is that friending is a mutual thing. You're not friends unless you both say so. I'm not really sure what a "contact" is, though...

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
So, now there are "PM's" and "Profile Visitor Messages". PM's are totally private but Profile Visitor Messages can be read by other members? Which other members?.....'Friends', 'Contacts'?

Any insight on this....anyone?

Cinnamon Hair
March 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, what's the difference between a friend and a contact?

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
My 'Posting Rules' say I may not post new threads...but I have. That is scary.

Just_Isabel
March 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, what's the difference between a friend and a contact?

Is there a difference between the two?
I thought there was, but I can't see how to add someone to my "contacts", just to my "friends", there is no separate area for friends and for contacts, etc. (Or I haven't found any.) So I'm starting to think that friends = contacts. :confused:

This "rediscovering" TLHC thing is fun. :wacko:

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
hehe I'm glad I'm not the only one that is lost as a duck.

ok-another question-how can we make our blogs all pretty like Steph's?
At this point, we cannot. That is reserved for mods and admins.

What does that mean?
Only registered users can view those boards. As far as I know, the old 100/60 settings aren't in effect yet.

ladiosaRosa
March 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Only registered users can view those boards. As far as I know, the old 100/60 settings aren't in effect yet.

Thank you, snowbear; you have been so helpful today, as always. You're making this rediscovery of TLHC actully fun! :flower:

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Thank you, snowbear; you have been so helpful today, as always. You're making this rediscovery of TLHC actully fun! :flower:
Oh, I'm so glad! I'm finding this fun, as I've had to discover a whole bunch of new stuff, in order to teach it to the rest of you. There's definitely going to be an adjustment period, but when it's over I think most people will prefer this version. It's more advanced, to be sure, but it's also very organized.

wonderlywroughte
March 8th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have a little question. For comments in your profile and your blog, is there any way to reply TO the comment directly, or do you just have to post a new comment with your replies? (I've been doing the latter since I can't figure out if there is any other way to do it!)

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I have a little question. For comments in your profile and your blog, is there any way to reply TO the comment directly, or do you just have to post a new comment with your replies? (I've been doing the latter since I can't figure out if there is any other way to do it!)
I know for the profiles, it's much like Facebook, in that you should respond to the other person in their profile. That way, if you click "view conversation", you can track what's been said.

fae
March 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Is there a post requirement to join groups? I don't see an option to join.

Thanks

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I know for the profiles, it's much like Facebook, in that you should respond to the other person in their profile. That way, if you click "view conversation", you can track what's been said.

Oh dear, this is where I'm going to get lost.... Attention anyone who tries to have a conversation with me- If I don't answer, please don't think I'm ignoring you. It just means that I have no clue that you're talking to me. :confused:

dancingbarefoot
March 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
What does that mean?

The same thing that private meant before: only members with 100+ posts/etc. can see them.

dancingbarefoot
March 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Oh dear, this is where I'm going to get lost.... Attention anyone who tries to have a conversation with me- If I don't answer, please don't think I'm ignoring you. It just means that I have no clue that you're talking to me. :confused:

Actually, you get notifications if someone's left a comment in your profile. It's a nice way to keep track of them.

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, you will! You get an email every time someone writes on your profile! Then, all you have to do is go to their profile, and reply.
Does that make sense?
It sounds complicated, but it's really easy.

ETA: DBF beat me to it! :grin:

Clare-Dragonfly
March 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Is there a difference between the two?
I thought there was, but I can't see how to add someone to my "contacts", just to my "friends", there is no separate area for friends and for contacts, etc. (Or I haven't found any.) So I'm starting to think that friends = contacts. :confused:

I noticed that there are two ways to "friend" someone--by clicking on their username and going to "add contact" or by going to their profile. Either way, you get a box that says you're going to add them as a contact, with a checkbox to say whether you want to add them as a friend/send a friend request as well. With the former the checkbox is unticked, and with the latter it is ticked. So if you make sure the box is unticked, then you add them as a contact without adding them as a friend.

I still don't know what adding someone as a contact actually does, though!

Just_Isabel
March 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I noticed that there are two ways to "friend" someone--by clicking on their username and going to "add contact" or by going to their profile. Either way, you get a box that says you're going to add them as a contact, with a checkbox to say whether you want to add them as a friend/send a friend request as well. With the former the checkbox is unticked, and with the latter it is ticked. So if you make sure the box is unticked, then you add them as a contact without adding them as a friend.

I still don't know what adding someone as a contact actually does, though!

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!
And I have no idea, either, haha. :wacko:

Chamomile betty
March 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Ok, the only problem I have found is not all my smiles are viewable.
There are little red x's on all but the first 10 smiles.

Probably something I need to do so can anyone else help me out?

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Ok, the only problem I have found is not all my smiles are viewable.
There are little red x's on all but the first 10 smiles.

Probably something I need to do so can anyone else help me out?
Nothing you need to do. (Or can do, for that matter.) The links to smilies are broken, so an admin will have to fix them.

Fee
March 8th, 2008, 04:42 PM
edit: problem solved

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM
edit: problem solved
It appears to be there!

Xandergrammy
March 8th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks DBF and snowbear. Actually, I do believe I've had a conversation this way with sweet franny and you're right- it's not hard. Slowly but surely, I'm learning. Thanks to all for your help.:flower:

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks DBF and snowbear. Actually, I do believe I've had a conversation this way with sweet franny and you're right- it's not hard. Slowly but surely, I'm learning. Thanks to all for your help.:flower:
You're quite welcome! I'm thinking of this new version of LHC as a learning experience. It might seem hard now, but in a few weeks everything should be settled down, and will seem incredibly easy.
Cheers!

Carolyn
March 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM
If I add a person with less than 100 posts to my friends list and I decide to allow only those on my friends list to view my blog will that person be able to read my blog? I haven't decided on how to set my blog access yet. I'm just posting inane hair, beauty and knitting things now and no personal pics until I figure all of this out.

redhead_rachel
March 8th, 2008, 05:39 PM
how to I get my avatar back/ make an avater on the new set-up please?

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 05:42 PM
how to I get my avatar back/ make an avater on the new set-up please?
Click your UserCP, and then click "Edit Avatar". Here's a direct link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/profile.php?do=editavatar).

Raederle
March 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Call me anal, but I used to download my journal after every post. I'd like to continue that salutary practice, but can't figure out how it's done. Is it still possible?

angelthadiva
March 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I've got a message saying that my PM box is 100% full, with a total of 29 messages, all read. (Now I happen to know I had about 3 PMs in my box before LHC went down.) I told it to "Empty Folder", but it still says I've got 29 messages, of 25 allowed.

I've tried to clear mine and it won't either...And I have one that I can't read at all?!

marajade
March 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Anje-

We can update that information as we used to in the user cp>edit your details-- but of course, as you've pointed out. .it seems not to display anywhere.

I would like this back too! :)

marajade
March 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I've tried to clear mine and it won't either...And I have one that I can't read at all?!

Uh. . I have 50 allowed? Why do we have different numbers?

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
There may be new rules about how much PM space a person has, based on post counts and length of membership. Just a guess.

chelles2kids
March 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Someone in another thread mentioned us having different "groups" now on the new LHC format.

Could someone explain to me how these work and how we go about accessing them?

Thanks so much!
Michelle

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM
They're called Social Groups, and they're accessed through your UserCP. There's a giant thread on them here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73).

Cheers!

chelles2kids
March 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks so much for the help & quick response, Snowbear!! :D

Michelle

snowbear
March 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM
You're quite welcome! I hope you'll find the answers you need over there! :)

Little_Bird
March 9th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Gosh! This really is tricky! I did miss LHC so I'm very happy to be back!

But I kinda miss the old LHC, I was so used to it! I think the photojournals worked really well as they were... Let's see how the new ones work then.. (I have got no clue yet tough)...

Just a little question... any reason why the forum was changed? :confused:

Little_Bird
March 9th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I have a question about the blogs. Are the pictures suposed to go there?

I have uploaded one but it only shows if you click on the entry. I have been on some blogs where you just see the pictures without having to click on the entrys I guess... Is there a way to make my pictures appear that way?

Thank you for your help! :flower:

Chamomile betty
March 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Nothing you need to do. (Or can do, for that matter.) The links to smilies are broken, so an admin will have to fix them.

Thank you for the speedy response ;)

florenonite
March 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Are the photo albums visible to everyone, or only to members?

Lamb
March 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I think I will just give up the new features for a while, save for those I can navigate with minimal trouble (friends list, visitor messages). My "notifications" say I have one unread PM but I have none. Also, I cannot find my photo album.
Guess it just takes time for everything to run smoothly... Till then, I am just happy to be back. :)

justgreen
March 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I can't get pics to upload from my host. Is that service available yet?

justgreen
March 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Gosh! This really is tricky! I did miss LHC so I'm very happy to be back!

But I kinda miss the old LHC, I was so used to it! I think the photojournals worked really well as they were... Let's see how the new ones work then.. (I have got no clue yet tough)...

Just a little question... any reason why the forum was changed? :confused:

The forum fell down and got a bad boo-boo *some think it was Morticia's lengthy journal ** . Just kidding Morticia, hugs! Seriously, Steph has had to rebuild the forum from almost the ground up. All Hail Queen Stephanie, Goddess to the people!:)

Alaia
March 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Are the photo albums visible to everyone, or only to members?

As far as I'm aware, only members with 25+ posts can see your photo albums.

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM
As far as I'm aware, only members with 25+ posts can see your photo albums.

Yes, for the photo albums, "public" is member groups with 25 or more posts.

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I have a question about the blogs. Are the pictures suposed to go there?

That's up to you. You can post pictures in your blog or photo albums. You can also post photos in threads as before, but we ask that folks don't have photo journal type threads because those get immense quickly and really drain server resources.

Raederle
March 9th, 2008, 10:18 AM
That's up to you. You can post pictures in your blog or photo albums. You can also post photos in threads as before, but we ask that folks don't have photo journal type threads because those get immense quickly and really drain server resources.

Amen to that. With all the communication possibilities, wouldn't it be great if the photo albums were ... well ... photos? I rarely visited the old photo journals for just that reason.

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Well, people can post comments in the albums on individual photos. It's just that instead of one giant thread with many pictures that need to load each time a new post is made, the photos are arranged so that you only load one at a time.

Morticia
March 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I did not break LHC!!! *pout*

I think that snowbear deserves a special badge for being so helpful. :)

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Yes, for the photo albums, "public" is member groups with 25 or more posts.

Is this the case for the blogs too?

Gemma
March 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
How do I categorize blog entries, please? Mine have all gone into 'uncategorized' automatically, and I can't see how to change this.

Thank you in advance!

talullah
March 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM
How do I categorize blog entries, please? Mine have all gone into 'uncategorized' automatically, and I can't see how to change this.

Thank you in advance!

1. When you go to the main blog page, click on Blog Control Panel (on the left side of the page). From there, find and click on Blog Categories (also on the left). There, you can create and name some categories.

2. Then, go back to each blog post you've already made and edit them, one by one. Once you get to the edit page, there should be an option to put in into a different category, but only if you've done step 1 first.

Sorry I can't seem to find a faster way to do it, but I hope that helps!

Gemma
March 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
1. When you go to the main blog page, click on Blog Control Panel (on the left side of the page). From there, find and click on Blog Categories (also on the left). There, you can create and name some categories.

2. Then, go back to each blog post you've already made and edit them, one by one. Once you get to the edit page, there should be an option to put in into a different category, but only if you've done step 1 first.

Sorry I can't seem to find a faster way to do it, but I hope that helps!

That's really very helpful! Thank you. :)

Jennifer
March 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM

The blogs settings have been changed, so that "public" now means available to members with 25+ posts only and not the whole internet. Private is for those on your friends list only.

Dvips
March 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Yes. "Public = 25+" or "Friends only" are the two settings for blogs (or so is my current understanding)

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM
The blogs settings have been changed, so that "public" now means available to members with 25+ posts only and not the whole internet. Private is for those on your friends list only.

Thank you! :D

Raederle
March 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Well, people can post comments in the albums on individual photos. It's just that instead of one giant thread with many pictures that need to load each time a new post is made, the photos are arranged so that you only load one at a time.

Aah, sounds like a major improvement, then. Am I correct that at some time they will be listed on the main page. At this point, I think the only way to see an album is to go to the user's profile and click from there?

Garnett
March 9th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Well I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I will, cause I've got tons of questions.. I'm so thankful TLHC is back up. Stephanie, you rock!

jamisonlcloud
March 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm still confused... so i can't get to my private blog anymore? Will i have to start a new one?

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Will i have to start a new one?

Yes. I think. :lol: Well, I'm 95% sure that we all have to start new blogs to replace our hair journals (and photo albums to replace the photo threads).

Jennifer
March 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Yes. I think. :lol: Well, I'm 95% sure that we all have to start new blogs to replace our hair journals (and photo albums to replace the photo threads).

Yes, that's correct. Eventually we'll be able to access our old info in an archive form, but that's still in the works.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Thank you for the speedy response ;)
You're quite welcome!

The forum fell down and got a bad boo-boo *some think it was Morticia's lengthy journal ** . Just kidding Morticia, hugs! Seriously, Steph has had to rebuild the forum from almost the ground up. All Hail Queen Stephanie, Goddess to the people!:)
*hails*

I did not break LHC!!! *pout*

I think that snowbear deserves a special badge for being so helpful. :)
:blushing: Aww, thank you!

Piperdiva
March 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM
i sent pics to my e-mail. how do i get them on my blog?

zaftig2k
March 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I would like to start a
silver haired,
opinionated,
grandchild chasing,
pistol packing,
smile when u say that,
what are you lookin at
Social Group.
How?

Hey Lily!! You got me girl. I'll join. Sounds like it is right up my alley.

:)

eaglesflight
March 10th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I just tried out the groups function and found that it was not quite what I supposed it was. I thought that these were taking the place of the Parental Pow-Wow, Pet Ponderings, etc., off-topic forums and had the added benefit of allowing people to join the group that would be interested in having discussions on such a topic together. Instead, I find that the only option for posting seems to be a single discussion threaded in reverse-chronological order rather like a Facebook wall.

Will the ability to post discussions in forum post format be added to these groups, or is the current function of these groups the only option that will be included? I certainly looked forward to having multiple threaded discussions in several of the groups I was interested in joining. I feel that the wall style postings will not lead to these type of discussions. Most of what I see posted on these groups so far are simple greetings and introductions, and I feel that this format is the only thing that seems appropriate to most to post.

Also, I presume that since the link to TBB replaced the old Skin and Beauty forums, that the Coffee Shop there replaces The Friendship Board? Since it also seems that the Parental and Pets forums are not returning either, it would make sense to allow the forum post functionality in the groups as I have suggested.

Thanks!

Just_Isabel
March 10th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Will the ability to post discussions in forum post format be added to these groups, or is the current function of these groups the only option that will be included? I certainly looked forward to having multiple threaded discussions in several of the groups I was interested in joining. I feel that the wall style postings will not lead to these type of discussions. Most of what I see posted on these groups so far are simple greetings and introductions, and I feel that this format is the only thing that seems appropriate to most to post.

I was wondering the same thing. I'd love to be able to start "normal threads" in the social groups, because the wall style posts would make a conversation hard to follow, especially if we have multiple topics going on at once.

Jennifer
March 10th, 2008, 05:23 AM
We still have the off topic forums here, such as the friendship, pet and parental board. They're just not visible from the main forum index page. You just click on the off topic link and it directs you to all the off topic forums where the posting is the same as before. HTH!

The social groups are extras and you don't have to participate there if you'd rather use the off topic forums. It's just for various interests to gather and chat amongst themselves.

angelthadiva
March 10th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I'm still trying to figure everything out, but what I HAVE been able to figure out...I LOVE!! This is so cool! :flower:

Step, you did a great job, girl! Thank you so much for all the hard work you put into this...We know RL was busy w/the wedding and cross country move and all, and to throw the site going down at the same time probably didn't help your stress levels much...But this is amazing!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! xoxo :flowers:

florenonite
March 10th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I've been attempting to upload pictures to an album, but I get a message saying 'invalid picture specified'. They're images in a folder on my computer, so I don't understand why it's not working. Any insight?

Ursula
March 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Will articles be restored from the archive, or will we have to re-post articles we had on the old version? I don't want to re-post articles only to wind up with duplicates in the system when articles are restored, since that would waste resources.

Although I will wind up having to do some revisions to my "Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice" article, to fit it to the "blog" format rather than the "journal" format. (Mostly to make it clear that you're journaling your hair washes, not blogging them, even if you use the blog format - don't expect tons of discussion on how you washed your hair, and take questions to the forums rather than expecting to get a large blog readership raptly following the attempts of yet another newbie choosing a conditioner. It's a record for your own reference.)

Rae~
March 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I've been attempting to upload pictures to an album, but I get a message saying 'invalid picture specified'. They're images in a folder on my computer, so I don't understand why it's not working. Any insight?

It's not just you, this seems to be a wider problem; see this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5573#post5573) as well.

Clare-Dragonfly
March 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM

I have the same worry, especially since I already saw one thread closed and replaced by a group. The group pages are difficult to navigate and keep up with, and while I like belonging to groups, I don't want to have to interact in them the way they currently are!

florenonite
March 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
It's not just you, this seems to be a wider problem; see this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5573#post5573) as well.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

basak
March 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Why can't we see who uploaded the picture on albums? Well, I can recognize the back head shots, but... :P

Sarahmoon
March 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have two questions:

- Why isn't my signature pic showing? If I click "edit signature" it's there and it doesn't say it's too big or anything.
- I filled in my hair type again but that's not showing either.

snowbear
March 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I have two questions:

- Why isn't my signature pic showing? If I click "edit signature" it's there and it doesn't say it's too big or anything.
- I filled in my hair type again but that's not showing either.
If you take a look over at the Site Support forum, all those questions have been answered.

Basically, the hairtype information is not currently showing. However, people can view it your profile.
External images are no longer supported in signatures.

Cheers!

Sarahmoon
March 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thank you Snowbear.
I asked because I used to have a picture from imageshack but that one was showing as a link instead of as a picture. :?
By the way I don't see a site support forum.

snowbear
March 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
It's just below the Swap Board. Link here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15). :)

Sarahmoon
March 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Oooops sorry :oops: Found it already. I assumed Site happenings would be the right place to ask site-related questions.

snowbear
March 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Oooops sorry :oops: Found it already. I assumed Site happenings would be the right place to ask site-related questions.
Ah, quite all right. I believe Site Happenings is for site announcements, and Site Support is for site issues. At least, that's how I use them.
Cheers!

alys
March 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm going to hold all of my New Features questions until the site has had some time to stretch it's legs. BUT can anyone help me figure out how to post a new thread? I have been in the Mane forum for a while, and each time I try to post a new thread I am directed to a blank page (not an error page) with the LCH and advertisement stuff at the top but just gray space at the bottom where my reply box should be. Judging by the threads it doesnt seem too many others are having this problem. Moderators, Guru's, Webteam, please help. I am dying to post.
Message me here, or email at (hope i am allowed to do this) killington5@hotmail.com.

thanks much!

snowbear
March 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
You've tried clicking this button: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/buttons/newthread.gif
and it doesn't work?

Katze
March 11th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I am really overwhelmed by all of the new features.

I have ADD, which is why I can effectively do a complicated academic translation while listening to music and surfing the new LHC...but I just tried to get a photo album and put pics in it and it wouldn't let me.

And updating my profile did NOT put my hair type into my profile...but no one seems to have these.

i really don't like computers or the internet, but it is a good way to help me work focus. I think I am just going to give up on all the LHC stuff until someone else can explain it to me really clearly. :(

dancingbarefoot
March 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I just tried to get a photo album and put pics in it and it wouldn't let me.

And updating my profile did NOT put my hair type into my profile...but no one seems to have these

The trouble uploading photos is happening for everyone right now, so don't worry about it. We hope it will be fixed soon.

Also, your hair type does show up in your profile. It doesn't appear next to your posts, but no one's does. Anyone who looks in your profile can find it, though.

keltic
March 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
This link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog_subscription.php?do=userlist), which I found by clicking "Blog Options", and then looking in the lefthand menu, where "Your Blog" is located.

Blogs are public, but under the settings, you can make them viewable to friends-only--I think. :)
okay, i'm getting really frustrated because it is telling my i don't have access to blogs, and all i want to do is restart my hair journal! where do i go to get that started again?!?!

moonchaser
March 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM
okay, i'm getting really frustrated because it is telling my i don't have access to blogs, and all i want to do is restart my hair journal! where do i go to get that started again?!?!

You might need 25 posts / approval to get into the blogs. I could be wrong, though. Dont' get too frustrated just yet. ;)

snowbear
March 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM

You might need 25 posts / approval to get into the blogs. I could be wrong, though. Dont' get too frustrated just yet. ;)

I believe moonchaser is correct.

Mely
March 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Is there going to be a hair toy thread? Or do we just post under "miscellaneous"?

physicschick
March 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Is there going to be a hair toy thread? Or do we just post under "miscellaneous"?

If you want to review a hair toy or a seller, then post a review (see link at top, next to Articles). For general questions about hair toys, those will probably fit best on the Mane board.

If you mean the old list of hair toy vendors that had links to many of them, I'll grab that from the old board once the archive is available. No sense making a new one from scratch when there was already so much info in the old one.

Wind Dragon
March 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Okay, I've looked, and haven't found anything about this yet. At the bottom of my Visitor Messages is a selection box labeled "Moderation." The choices in it (to be applied to checked messages, it looks like) are "Delete Messages," "Approve Messages," "Unapprove Messages," and "Deselect All Messages."

The first and the last ones I get, but what about Approving and Unapproving? I don't want to play with this, for fear of maybe activating something I don't want, but what's going on there? I can't find a choice for moderating the messages or not (like what's available for the journal comments,) so what's the default? What happens if I "Approve" or "Unapprove" something? What happens if I do nothing? :confused:

Juliet's Silk
March 12th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I guess it's like the stuff with the comments to the blogs - people can leave comments (or post visitor messages?) which don't show up for other people unless you approve of them. If you do, they become public. If you don't approve (unapprove?) I think they'll be deleted. Although I don't know if it actually works - I just tried it and it said that I didn't select any valid messages (well... I did!) and it didn't tell me that I needed to approve of any visitor messages so my wild guess is that this feature is currently not enabled (unlike the blog comment approving feature, which works) and that you don't need to do anything. The messages in your profile show up fine for me as well, so I think that you really don't need to do anything. :)

Wind Dragon
March 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
[...] so my wild guess is that this feature is currently not enabled (unlike the blog comment approving feature, which works) and that you don't need to do anything. The messages in your profile show up fine for me as well, so I think that you really don't need to do anything. :)

Okay, that'll work. Thanks for checking for me! :flowers:

curls2grow
March 12th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Can someone please tell me how to access the archive so that I can view my old journal? Thanks!

keltic
March 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM
hmm.... so is replying to this to get 25 posts considered cheating? :) seeing as i was simply collecting posts under my journal, maybe not.

keltic
March 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
drat. still doesn't work.

at least i figured out how to edit my profile information.

Wind Dragon
March 12th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Can someone please tell me how to access the archive so that I can view my old journal? Thanks!

I don't think the journals are actually accessible yet, but here's the link to Stephanie's post about (and link to) the archives (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5), under "Site Happenings."

PatGear
March 13th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Is there a way to find out whether the blog you're reading is public or private? I mean if the poster is on your "friends" list already. As far as I know, the blogs I'm not allowed to see just don't show up as if they didn't exist and the ones I'm allowed to see all look the same whether they're public or private.

Why do I want to know? I might want to post a comment which may be a bit more revealing if the blog is private and either skip the comment or make one with less info if the blog was public.

dancingbarefoot
March 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hm, well I see a little key icon next to the private ones, but for all I know that's because I'm a mod.

PatGear
March 13th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Off to check....

Hmm, I'm not seeing little keys anywhere, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I checked this view (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?do=bloglist) and this view (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?do=list) and the main page of one of the blogs I think is private, but no keys that I can see. Oh, well!

icydove
March 13th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I saw this asked but not answered in this thread: can you download your blogs? I couldn't find anywhere to do it, but I may be missing it.

Raederle
March 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
The only workaround I've got is to save the page with your browser. I'm not sure how that will work as the journal gets lengthier though.

The Flame
March 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Does anyone else get bumped off and have to keep logging in? I must do this many times each session. Any solutions?

Raederle
March 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Do you have the little Remember Me box checked?

physicschick
March 14th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Is there a way to find out whether the blog you're reading is public or private? I mean if the poster is on your "friends" list already. As far as I know, the blogs I'm not allowed to see just don't show up as if they didn't exist and the ones I'm allowed to see all look the same whether they're public or private.

Why do I want to know? I might want to post a comment which may be a bit more revealing if the blog is private and either skip the comment or make one with less info if the blog was public.

Please be very careful about this. If you're discussing your own situation or the blog owner's situation, that's fine, but don't talk about a third party because they might not be friends with the same people as you and the blog owner are, if that makes any sense.

Regarding the keys, maybe it's just a mod thing. I see them sometimes in the list of Total Blogs. If I figure out how you can check privacy settings, I will let you know. And icydove, I will also look into whether we can download blogs. I'll play around with this stuff tomorrow, probably, so perhaps someone else will find a solution before then.

ETA: After trying, I still can't find a non-mod way to check if someone's blog is private. Also, I can't find any way to download blogs. Sorry!

PatGear
March 14th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Please be very careful about this. If you're discussing your own situation or the blog owner's situation, that's fine, but don't talk about a third party because they might not be friends with the same people as you and the blog owner are, if that makes any sense.I was referring to talking about myself, but that's a good reminder. Thanks. (And I should mention that I know that the blog owner could change his/her mind to change it back to public anyway, but I'm willing to take that chance.)

Regarding the keys, maybe it's just a mod thing. I see them sometimes in the list of Total Blogs. If I figure out how you can check privacy settings, I will let you know. Thank you, I'd appreciate that. :flower:

marajade
March 14th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hi Guys!

I've been trying to the point of tears to upload pictures in my picture blog and it keeps giving me this error message: "Invalid Picture specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"-- I don't understand what I am doing wrong! It asks me to upload from my computer-- I select a picture and it has yet to work! Any ideas?

Rae~
March 14th, 2008, 01:08 AM
marajade - Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong - it's a site-wide problem. See this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7462#post7462).

marajade
March 14th, 2008, 09:26 PM
marajade - Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong - it's a site-wide problem. See this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7462#post7462).

Thank you so much!!!!

The Flame
March 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Raederle- I do not have the Remember Me box checked. I want to keep my account secure by using my password each time I log on. Should I check it? Thanks for giving me an idea of how to solve my dilemma.

The Flame
March 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I just had to sign in again to send that message! I'm getting frustrated.

Just_Isabel
March 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Raederle- I do not have the Remember Me box checked. I want to keep my account secure by using my password each time I log on. Should I check it? Thanks for giving me an idea of how to solve my dilemma.

I have that box checked (because I live alone and no one else uses my computer and I'm lazy) and I don't have that problem.
Maybe you could check the box when you come to LHC and sign in, and then just log out when you're done?
It will be a bit more work (one more click per LHC visit :lol:) and you'll probably forget to log out a couple times at the beginning, but at least you won't have to sign back in as often as you have to now.
Just a suggestion. :)

The Flame
March 16th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Isabel. If the problem continues, and no one else is having the same issue, I'll probably check the box and see if it is the magical answer.

The Flame
March 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM
It did it again! I did not "have permission" to send that reply, even though my screen said "Welcome, The Flame" at the top. I had to refresh and sign in again.

Rae~
March 16th, 2008, 06:05 PM
The Flame - I believe that if you check that box, but click "Logout" whenever you leave LHC, you will still have to re-enter your password next time you come back.... which might solve both your problem of being bumped, and your security concerns? :)

Lady Godiva
March 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
The Flame - I believe that if you check that box, but click "Logout" whenever you leave LHC, you will still have to re-enter your password next time you come back.... which might solve both your problem of being bumped, and your security concerns? :)
Yes, this is how the "Remember Me" box works. It does not prevent you from logging out ever, but it simply prevents you from getting logged out before you are ready, such as when you are multitasking online. :wink:

The Flame
March 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks Rae and Lady Godiva! I'll give that a try . . . . and I do always logout, so that should work. I appreciate your input.

SearMeCarefully
March 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I'm wondering about the meet boards and whats going on with those? Or if they're there.. lol how do I find them?

Velvettt
March 18th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I apologize if this has been answered already. I've tried numerous searches of this thread and keep coming up empty, so I hope it's not been covered ad nauseum.

Is there any way to get a viewer count on the blogs?

Ursula
March 18th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Is there any way to opt out of the whole "friends list" system? Not show or have a friends list, not get friends requests, etc? (In particular, not getting friends requests - just turning down every request and taking everyone off my list still leaves me having to deal with the whole system. An automated reply "so and so has opted out of the friends list system" to any would-be requesters would be preferable.)

The more I'm having to deal with the whole thing (getting friends requests from people I don't know, or know only slightly, having to explain why I'm turning down so many requests, etc.) the more distressing the whole thing is becoming for me.

It is a very "in your face" thing right now - there is no way to avoid dealing with it, anyone can put in friends requests, and someone who doesn't like the system has to deal with the request, whether they want to or not.

Broken Angel
March 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I was wondering if there is a minimum post count that a member must have before they are able to edit their posts?

Just_Isabel
March 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I was wondering if there is a minimum post count that a member must have before they are able to edit their posts?

There is. I think it's 25, but I'm not 100% sure.
You could try editing one of your posts now, you have 26 already. :D

ETA: 27, even. :lol:

snowbear
March 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
On the last version of the board, it was 25 posts. This may have changed during the upgrade, but I'm not sure.

Broken Angel
March 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
There is. I think it's 25, but I'm not 100% sure.
You could try editing one of your posts now, you have 26 already. :D

ETA: 27, even. :lol:

I didn't see it after I hit 25, which is why I asked, but it is there now. There have been times where I would preview my posts a couple of times, and then see an error after I finally submit it, and couldn't edit it. Now I can! :happydance:

On a side note, I miss seeing the little Taz smiley(:taz:) on the main message window. It's now been replaced with this: :luke:
I loved seeing that little critter there, whenever I would go to post a message.

Broken Angel
March 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
On the last version of the board, it was 25 posts. This may have changed during the upgrade, but I'm not sure.

Thanks Snowbear and Isabel, I can now edit my posts if needed.

Stevy
March 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way I can make my blog viewable to LHC members, but not to guests?

Stevy

Ursula
March 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way I can make my blog viewable to LHC members, but not to guests?

Stevy

I believe the current setup is that "public" blogs are viewable by LHC members with 25 posts. So what you want is the default, sort of. (The 25 post requirement seems to be just enough time to weed out the most obvious troublemakers, essentally it is all members.)

The "private" option allows all people on your "Contacts" list, and all people on your "Friends" list to see your blog, but no other members.

Stevy
March 19th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Ursula! That's exactly what I needed. :flowers:

dancingbarefoot
March 19th, 2008, 10:03 PM
(The 25 post requirement seems to be just enough time to weed out the most obvious troublemakers, essentally it is all members.)

Another important thing about the "public" setting being set to 25+ posts is that it keeps your public stuff out of Google's searches (from my understanding, anyway). Handy if you have a nosy boss or relative searching for you. ;)

FoxFire
March 22nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
I can't get the blogs or albums to show. When I click on them it says error 405. Is it just me? thanks

dancingbarefoot
March 22nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
I can't get the blogs or albums to show. When I click on them it says error 405. Is it just me? thanks

Are you still having this problem? If so, please start a thread on site support about it and we'll try to fix it for you.

FoxFire
March 22nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
It "magicly" works now! thanks!

While I've got you though, do you know if/when the trader ratings will be back? I am anxious to start getting some!

Thanks

Katze
March 24th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Question: how do I get changes I make (accepting friends, editing signature) etc. to "take"?

Every time I change something it does not get changed, even though I think I am clicking the right button. I even tried uploading pictures (from imageshack) and had the same results. For someone who has attention problems it is really hard to learn new computer systems, so I'm staying away from LHC more than I'd like because I get so frustrated...I had even posted this in my sig but it didn't "take".

The old LHC took me a long time, too, but there are just so many more features here. It's a bit like getting a new mobile phone or something - more than I really "need" and I feel like i'm doing it all wrong. Nothing against the new design, it's my problem, but would love to hear from others who have trouble with stuff like this...

Lilla My
March 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hello, I'm a bit confused about where to post with some of the new features, never having used Facebook or the like ...
I've only just worked out that if someone posts a message on my profile page that I'm meant to reply on their profile page. (Previously i was replying on my own page - argh ...)
But ... I'm still not sure about the photo albums. If someone posts a comment in my album should I reply to them also in my album or should I go to their profile page, or doesn't it matter?
As for blogs, I haven't gone near them yet so I'm not sure about comments there and replies to comments ...
Help?? :D

Xanthippe
March 24th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Another important thing about the "public" setting being set to 25+ posts is that it keeps your public stuff out of Google's searches (from my understanding, anyway). Handy if you have a nosy boss or relative searching for you. ;)

That is awesome! Keeping my journal off of Google searches was the main reason I made it private.

Wind Dragon
March 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hello, I'm a bit confused about where to post with some of the new features, never having used Facebook or the like ...
I've only just worked out that if someone posts a message on my profile page that I'm meant to reply on their profile page. (Previously i was replying on my own page - argh ...)
But ... I'm still not sure about the photo albums. If someone posts a comment in my album should I reply to them also in my album or should I go to their profile page, or doesn't it matter?
As for blogs, I haven't gone near them yet so I'm not sure about comments there and replies to comments ...
Help?? :D
Lilla My, when you get a visitor message, if you'll click on the link "View Conversation" and reply there, your response will automatically show up on the other person's profile page (with another "view conversation" link, so folks can see your chat from either place.)

I think folks are responding to blog comments where they are (that is, with the blog entry.) Probably a good idea, since the blog (and related comments) may not be public. I would think the same probably applies to albums.

Hope that helps! :flower:

Lilla My
March 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Thankyou so much Wind Dragon! :flowers:
Think I've nearly got the hang of it now ... I hadn't quite realised about the 'view conversation' bit. Glad I asked now - was feeling a bit 'gormless'! :blushing:

lora410
March 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Humm, I'm still having trouble finding my photo blog... I'm probably staring straight at it!

Goto where it shows options for like changing your signature, thread subscriptions ,etc. Its on the the VERY BOTTOM and says simply BLOG.

physicschick
March 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Question: how do I get changes I make (accepting friends, editing signature) etc. to "take"?

I was going to respond, but there is a glitch in mod signatures currently, so I can't tell you how to do it because I can't do it myself! There's a thread on Site Support about signatures. That would be a good one to check.

seabear
March 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
OK, please forgive if this is answered somewhere on this thread, but if I subscribe to Blogs, where do I find my subscriptions? They don't show up on Subscribed Threads, and I can't find anything for Subscribed Blogs.

talullah
March 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
OK, please forgive if this is answered somewhere on this thread, but if I subscribe to Blogs, where do I find my subscriptions? They don't show up on Subscribed Threads, and I can't find anything for Subscribed Blogs.

Hi Seabear, go to the main blog page and on the left, you'll see "blog control panel." click on that, and there will be a link for your subscribed blogs. :flowers:

seabear
March 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM
And there they are! Thanks, tallulah! :)

Kirin
March 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have a question about articles. I wrote one, and its there i can edit it or delete it, but it doesnt show up to members, what do i do?

snowbear
March 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I have a question about articles. I wrote one, and its there i can edit it or delete it, but it doesnt show up to members, what do i do?
I believe all articles are moderated before they are viewable to members. :)

dancingbarefoot
March 25th, 2008, 06:51 PM
That is awesome! Keeping my journal off of Google searches was the main reason I made it private.

I think so, anyway. Should probably test that one of these days. :wink:

Katze
March 27th, 2008, 04:16 AM
next question. ;)

I uploaded a lovely new sig pic but it does not show up in my signature?!?

I tried links but ran into the "too many lines" error. When I tried other links, I just got a link in the signature.

Then I scrolled down and posted the pic directly from my computer, but it is still not working.

I also tried posting the link in the signature picture window, but it also didn't work.

Literally, I've spent over an hour on this.

I feel really stupid and frustrated. Everyone else has pics - what am I doing wrong?!?

Katze

Velvettt
March 27th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Looks fine to me!

Wind Dragon
March 27th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Katze, I had quite a time playing with mine, too. Not sure what I was doing wrong or what I ended up doing right, just kept checking an existing post of mine and suddenly, there it was! :shrug:

Anyhoo, I see yours too. :face:

carinkla
April 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM
its not really about new features but more because I cant find something again. There used to be a link to were one could buy LHC shirts and indirectly support lhc that way. I wanted to take a look at them again but can not find info about it (I have used the search option already) DO you still sell them, and if so..where can I find them?

physicschick
April 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Carinkla, I'm not sure we still have a link to it from here, but I was able to find it on google:
http://www.cafepress.com/longhair
Hope this helps.

carinkla
April 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM
thank you very much. and if I would buy, some of the money would still go to LHC?

KittyCat
April 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Why does my picture doesn't show up in my blog when I paste it there? When I write an entry and past in a picture and preview the whole entry, I can see the picture, but as an outsider you see the word "[Image]" instead of the real image. You can see it when you look in my newest entry at the bottom.

freznow
April 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Why does my picture doesn't show up in my blog when I paste it there? When I write an entry and past in a picture and preview the whole entry, I can see the picture, but as an outsider you see the word "[Image]" instead of the real image. You can see it when you look in my newest entry at the bottom.

I think it's to keep loading time to a minimum, because I've noticed that on the blog page. When I actually click on the blog post, I can see the images, but if I'm just browsing/in certain areas of the site, it just says [Image], which I assume is to help dial up people who may be browsing and not want all those pics loading.

KittyCat
April 20th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Ok, so, will people be able to view it or not?

Raederle
April 20th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I see the pictures you post in your blog. As freznow pointed out, they don't show in the little preview you get on the blog page, but they do show when someone opens the page.

ruby_tuesday
August 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
This thread is for questions regarding new features. Members, if you know the solution to a fellow members question, please feel free to chime in! There's a lot to take in right now, so any help we, the staff, can get, the easier our jobs will be during this transition.

Thanks guys!

Hi, I hope this is the right place for my q. I havent been on the forum in ages, and it looks quite different to me. My account is obviously still activated, I see the number of my old posts but I cant open them, or my "diary thread", or whatever it was called. lol It really was a long time! :eek: I'd just like to see my old photo, and compare with the new one, I dont have it available anymore. Help anyone? :shrug:

ps if this is the wrong thread, please move my post to a right one!

Just_Isabel
August 8th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Are you trying to log in to the "old LHC"? The archive? What link are you trying to open?

ruby_tuesday
August 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Are you trying to log in to the "old LHC"? The archive? What link are you trying to open?

Umm there's an old LHC? *clueless* I dont remember what the thread was called where I posted my picture, (but I created the thread I know that much) I should be able to open them through my profile, no? It doesnt work though. Anyway, it's not a biggie, just wondering. :)

Just_Isabel
August 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Umm there's an old LHC? *clueless* I dont remember what the thread was called where I posted my picture, (but I created the thread I know that much) I should be able to open them through my profile, no? It doesnt work though. Anyway, it's not a biggie, just wondering. :)

If this post you're looking for was before the big crash, then it will be in the archives, or "old LHC": http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/ (that's a clickable link).

If you want to search for your old posts there, you can log in there - it's separate from this "new LHC".
I don't know if things have changed, but you may have to log out of *here* to log in there, or you could use different browsers (like IE and Firefox or whatever).

HTH and that it's not too confusing. Feel free to ask more questions if I'm not making much sense. :)

ruby_tuesday
August 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I had no idea about the crash. Thanks for your help! :)

Arniky
October 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi - how to edit posts & view ones own profile- system not allowing

clairenewcastle
December 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
My post count went down tonight from over 1,100+ to just 983 !!!!!
Why is this?
Help!

free_hug
December 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM
The question might seem comletely pointless and/or inappropriate, or maybe the answer should be obvious... but what's this new rule about forced haircuts?

In fact, i do feel silly for asking this in this thread, but i really don't know where to do so. If anyone has an idea... could they please either answer here, or at least write me a pm? :)

thank you.
just curious.

Gumball
December 20th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The question might seem comletely pointless and/or inappropriate, or maybe the answer should be obvious... but what's this new rule about forced haircuts?

In fact, i do feel silly for asking this in this thread, but i really don't know where to do so. If anyone has an idea... could they please either answer here, or at least write me a pm? :)

thank you.
just curious.

What exactly is the rule you are talking about? I know there is a rule that you can't link to sites advocating forced haircuts as it goes against the grain of what this place stands for. Care to elaborate a little more if I'm not covering the right topic?

angelthadiva
December 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
My post count went down tonight from over 1,100+ to just 983 !!!!!
Why is this?
Help!

Games, quizzes and NEW START HERE posts do not count toward your post counts :flower:

angelthadiva
December 20th, 2009, 11:51 PM
What exactly is the rule you are talking about? I know there is a rule that you can't link to sites advocating forced haircuts as it goes against the grain of what this place stands for. Care to elaborate a little more if I'm not covering the right topic?

This. I was wondering the same :confused:

clairenewcastle
December 21st, 2009, 12:09 AM
Games, quizzes and NEW START HERE posts do not count toward your post counts :flower:

Thanks for the reply angelthadiva. :blossom:

physicschick
December 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Regarding forced haircuts, see the announcement (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=8&a=5) at the top of this and every other board. Discussing forced haircuts runs counter to the spirit of LHC, which exists to promote long hair. Such discussion also tends to attract a different sort of person, one with a prurient interest in forced cutting.

Tabitha
December 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM
I was really pleased to read the new rule, I was getting tired of seeing each new "outraged" thread as it popped up. :flowers:

Gumball
December 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Regarding forced haircuts, see the announcement (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=8&a=5) at the top of this and every other board. Discussing forced haircuts runs counter to the spirit of LHC, which exists to promote long hair. Such discussion also tends to attract a different sort of person, one with a prurient interest in forced cutting.

Aha! Thanks! After reading I felt it was a reminder if anything. I've frequented the index page, etc., for the most part, and since they weren't posted on those I didn't see them. Must... Check... More often! :D

enfys
December 22nd, 2009, 06:00 AM
So the forced haircuts primarily focusses on makeover shows? I can't recall ever really seeing any other forced haircut posts than those, unless they were swiftly cleaned up and I never saw them.

K_Angel
January 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
How do I add a link in a post?

Not sure if I asked that correctly. But you know how you can put the link "here" and that's all it shows? Like a link to a post on another thread...

K_Angel
January 5th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Oh yeah, and also.... what are thread tags? How do you use them?

WavyGirl
January 5th, 2010, 04:43 AM
How do I add a link in a post?

Not sure if I asked that correctly. But you know how you can put the link "here" and that's all it shows? Like a link to a post on another thread...

You copy the link you want to use and paste it in your reply. Then you can either click "go advanced" to get the brackets put in or type then yourself. (url) at the front and (/url) at the end using square brackets. []

In the front set you remove the closing bracket and replace it with an equals sign. Just before the closing set you replace that same closing bracket and follow it with the word you want to show as your linking word.

(url=http://www.example.com)link(/url) [all with square brackets.]

ETA: sometimes the links don't work if you leave the http:// part in so you can remove it and start with www or whatever comes next.

WavyGirl
January 5th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Oh yeah, and also.... what are thread tags? How do you use them?

site support (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=15) has loads of threads on all features of the site including this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4138&highlight=thread+tags) which is about what is appropriate to use as a tag and how to do so. Also how to use them to search. HTH.

Okay so it wasn't much of an explanation on how to search. :o On the menu at the top of your screen next to "quick links" is the word search with a drop down arrow beside it. Click this and select "advanced search". In the second set of options there is one that says "Search by tag" or something very similar. Just enter the tag you're looking for there.

K_Angel
January 5th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Thank you WavyGirl for the help! :)

It's funny how those features, until brought to my attention, I never even knew were there. :)

WavyGirl
January 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
You're very welcome. :flower: There are so many features here it can be hard to spot them all. It certainly takes a long time to learn how to use them. Well it did for me. :D

tinti
July 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Ok, I guess this question have been brought up many times, but I just can't seem to find out how to upload my signature pic. What i've done is just to paste my url into the url ffield, and then hitting save. Should I do something else?

tinti
July 4th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Oh, nevermind. I got it!

tigerlily38
November 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM

pretty hair color

freecelt
February 6th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Is there a way to reorganize the pictures already up-loaded in my album?

Gumball
February 6th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Is there a way to reorganize the pictures already up-loaded in my album?

At the moment there is no possible way to do this. They normally get ordered in the sequence they are uploaded in, although that order can act weird when it's a batch upload, but related to just the order of images in the batch.

freecelt
February 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Ok, thanks for letting me know. :)

faeblvr
April 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I just noticed that im posting with my full email address. How do i change that, like just display my screen name? Thanks

physicschick
April 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM
What was your screen name supposed to be? We don't normally do name changes, but in this case we probably can because posting your full e-mail is a privacy concern.