PDA

View Full Version : Moisturizing idea?

horseprincess
November 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Okay weird idea I just had: Buying boxed dye. Discarding the evil dye and using the special packet of conditioner that comes with the dye.

I'm thinking this would make for a good moisturizing treatment, as I've used these when I dyed my hair, making my hair super soft.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this?

:confused:

Mairéad
November 20th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Many dye makers actually will sell the conditioner individually. I imagine they're full of cones so it depends whether those ingredients agree with your hair. If they do, can't see the harm!

Fog
November 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Or at least investigate conditioners/other options that might yield similar results. Seems a waste of resources to buy the dye for the tiny thing of conditioner when there must be alternatives.

liagibba
November 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I think that would be kinda a waste of money and product. Dye kits aren't cheap from what I remember, and I think Sally's sells deep treatments in small packets that are far less expensive. I know there have got to be specific deep treatments out there that don't require buying dye along with it. :cheese:

Olivia23
November 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Try olive oil or coconut oil. Try different oils lol! They cost about the same and they are better for your hair!

Roseate
November 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Probably a waste.

Several dye companies do sell the conditioner separately (Clairol's version (http://www.clairol.com/niceneasy/colorsealconditioner/)), but also, the softness you feel after coloring is not just from the conditioner. If you've just chemically colored, your cuticles have been cranked open and then filled with chemicals: your hair is softer because it has just taken a beating, and then been coated with chemicals and cones. It's not a healthy kind of soft.

But if you just like the conditioner, buy it separately and enjoy!

McFearless
November 20th, 2010, 08:26 PM
They sell a lot of the in-box conditioners individually.

I also think its a bit of an illusion. When I dye my hair it looks amazing right at the beginning and I used to think its because of the conditioner. But if you save some and use it months later you can see that the conditioner isn't anything special.

little_cherry
November 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I think that would be kinda a waste of money and product. Dye kits aren't cheap from what I remember, and I think Sally's sells deep treatments in small packets that are far less expensive. I know there have got to be specific deep treatments out there that don't require buying dye along with it. :cheese:
I agree...those little packets aren't really a conditioner; they're a cocktail of 'cones in conditioner. I believe pantene conditioners are similar.

Anje
November 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I also suspect that the reason hair feels fantastic after using those conditioner packets is because they're heavily silicone-laden. You would probably do better to just use a silicone-filled conditioner if you want that effect. Less waste, too.

Just be aware that you will probably have to clarify regularly if you use something that heavy in silicones. They like to build up over time.

ETA: The ones I'm seeing are largely amodimethicone. Which is a nice silicone -- still seals up the hair, but it doesn't build up in layers. Still needs to be clarified off though, if it starts preventing hair from absorbing moisture.

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah Olive oil is amazing, especially if you heat it up for a couple of seconds in the microwave and then apply to scalp and length!! much better and Cheaper!!!

aenflex
November 24th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Super coney. But I love them. I have bought the Feria brand of colour and never used it but the tube of conditioner that comes with it. It's a great go-to product when I want to pretty much be guaranteed a good hair day! :)

breezefaerie
November 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM
You can get the conditioner that comes with the Feria kit at Sally's. I love it for my coney dish. Great stuff!

tigr
November 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Okay weird idea I just had: Buying boxed dye. Discarding the evil dye and using the special packet of conditioner that comes with the dye.

I'm thinking this would make for a good moisturizing treatment, as I've used these when I dyed my hair, making my hair super soft.

Thoughts? Has anyone done this?

:confused:
I had the same thought. Thanks for starting this thread!