PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hate wearing their hair up?

Mairéad
November 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Anyone out there hate wearing their hair up?

I think because no one ever really put my hair up as a child that I didn’t get into putting it up. In my teens I started putting it in pony tails when I needed to paint or go to gym, but other than that it has always been down.

Now I’ll put it up so I can tuck it into a hat when it’s cold, but as soon as I get inside I find myself taking it down.

I’m trying to sport braids more often because it will protect my hair (even though I have the kind of hair you can sleep on all night at it still doesn’t need brushed in the morning) and because my hair is transitioning a lot as I’m testing new wash regimes, but it almost never stays in a braid for the whole day or I wake up in the night to undo it.

Lol, anyone else out there like that or is it just me?

luxepiggy
November 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I used to never put my hair up as a kid because ponytails gave me a headache, and I hated the way the elastics would always get stuck in my hair afterward. Then I discovered hair sticks! So now I enjoy putting my hair up sometimes, although I still prefer to wear it loose usually (^(oo)^)

ravenreed
November 20th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I am not very happy about wearing my hair up because my face is really round and I think wearing my hair down flatters my face more. However, as my hair got longer, I found I had to wear it up more to get it out of my way. I never wore it up until after I hit waist. So if you hate wearing it up, don't do it until you have to. When you finally reach that point, have some nice hair toys on hand to make the process more fun.

Laurenji
November 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM
That's funny; I'm completely the opposite. My mom always braided my hair or put it in a ponytail. Now, I can hardly stand to have my hair down at all. It bugs me to no end--it snags on my clothes, in my purse strap, falls in my face when I look down, and just generally gets in the way all the time. It's kind of interesting that what you were used to as a kid has such a big effect on your habits as an adult.

tigerlily38
November 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I have started wearing mine in a side braid. I would rather it be down, but it is so fine it tangles easily.

pepperminttea
November 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I used to really hate wearing my hair up - well, I say up, it was in a ponytail, so not really protective. It was something I only did when I had to (oily days...), and it left me feeling ugly and self-conscious. I would time my wash days for when I needed not to feel like that, and often my bad moods would correlate with my oily days. Now I've learnt some pretty updos, I really like wearing it up, and I could happily go to an important event with several-days-since-a-wash hair. I've adjusted to the convenience of it, and I like that on a typical day, I'm the only one I see with my updo, when I see any number of people with short hair (APL or less) always worn down. And if I fancy blending in for a day, there's always the faux bob. :) I love having options.

AnnaJamila
November 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I don't like wearing my hair up, no idea why but I don't...

Jenn of Pence
November 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I used to wear my hair up often in high school, with hair sticks or french braided or the like. Then when I hit college, I just completely stopped and have always worn it down since, unless it was a half-up or a pony tail or two braids to keep it out of the way. So I'm not at all used to wearing it up anymore, and I really prefer to wear it down. But I've invested in a handful of nice hairtoys and learned some new styles so I have the option, and I can gradually warm up to it for when it gets longer. I also don't feel like my face is meant to have my hair pulled back sternly, so I like having some thin side bangs to soften it up.

Tia2010
November 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I never wear my hair up or braided or anything ...it's usually just hanging there :) (sometimes it goes in a ponytail but that's about the extent of my hair style knowledge :rolleyes: ) I think I may like wearing it up after I learn some cool updo's ...we shall see :)

HoneyJubilee
November 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
When I was little my mother put my hair in braids or ponytails almost every day because my hair tangles so easily when loose. I hated it, but I think it was more because she wasn't really gentle about it than because I disliked the styles themselves. When I started doing my own hair I just left it loose most of the time or in a messy bun.

I don't hate having my hair up anymore, but my hair is difficult to work with...it's too slippery for a lot of styles and hairtoys I try and it still tangles really easily.

nytquill
November 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I was always lucky to have really good hair, I could roll out of bed, run a brush through it and was ready for the day. I am such a no-fuss girl, no make-up, no high heels, nothing like that. So I had always worn my hair down and not really given it much special attention, until last year I got a job where we had to wear our hair back. I hardly knew any ways to put my hair up beyond a basic ponytail which gave me a headache. So I came to LHC and at the same time I was learning about sulfate-free hair care I learned some new hairdos. Over a year I learned so many new braids and buns and how to use hairsticks, which are sooo comfortable compaired to bobby pins or claw clips!

It took me several months to really get used to how my face looks with my hair up. I too have a very round face and head and putting my hair up makes this more obvious, which I hate, but I can't really do much about that. I already look young for my age and I find with my hair pulled back I actually look younger, so I think sometimes at work I get less respect from customers who think I'm just some high school student on her first job or something. But whatever, my hair is more important than what aggravating strangers think of me.

I still like my hair down the best, I feel like that's when I really look like myself. But I've come to understand how much braids and buns protect the hair compared to being loose, and I've come to appreciate how practical and easy it is having it out of the way while at work or doing housework, so it's up most of the time now.

I'm still very no-fuss. For day to day, I stick to one or two buns or an English braid. But I see putting my hair up as kind of a necessary thing, if not my favorite thing, if I want my hair to continue to get longer. And I'm so thrilled because I took a progress photo this month and in 4 months I can see about 2 inches of growth - which is not much, but for years before this it basically didn't grow at all and I think that protective updos have a lot to do with the change!

tinygirl
November 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I also prefer having my hair down - I don't think my face is particularly attractive enough to have it all scraped back from it.
I have started to make a conscious effort, however, to wear my hair up, most often in a braided bun high on the top of my heads, with some flyaways by my ears to soften up the look.
I would wear two braids, but I already look really young for my age so I fear it would be pushing it!

LadyG
November 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I never wear my hair up, but have started doing it this week. My workplace has a policy if its x length long, it has to be pulled back. So, I've started wearing ponytails. Feels weird, but I guess I'll get used to it.

irishlady
November 20th, 2010, 08:54 PM
me, I absolutely hate it up unless I'm really forced to, for example if the weather is bad or if it just looks like poop.

Ash
November 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Having my hair up looks ridiculous. If I am out in public I have my hair down. If I want it in braids then I always wear a bandanna to cover my ears as they are the main reason updos look stupid. If I have to have my hair contained and am not able to wear a bandanna then it will always be in a nape bun or low braid but I try to avoid those kinds of situations.

boomtownrat
November 20th, 2010, 08:59 PM
When my hair was long enough to wear up, I'd almost always wear it down or in a half-up using a claw clip. Until I was about eight or nine years old, my hair was always cut in a pageboy because my hair was so slippery that it would fall right out of barrettes or whatever my mom tried using to hold it up. Even though I learned to braid and French braid hair using my giant Barbie head, I never got the hang of doing it on myself because my arms would get tired and sore less than halfway through.

Charlotte:)
November 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I am a free spirit, and I just feel somewhat constrained when my hair is put up. I feel more like myself when my hair is free as well, if that makes sense. I do have to put it up when it starts to get greasy, which is why I like it better when it is freshly washed.

Mairéad
November 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I am a free spirit, and I just feel somewhat constrained when my hair is put up. I feel more like myself when my hair is free as well, if that makes sense. I do have to put it up when it starts to get greasy, which is why I like it better when it is freshly washed.

I feel like that too. One of the memories I have as a young kid is running through the woods with my waist length red hair floating behind me, and then my mom got frustrated by my hair and cut it like a boy's. I did not feel like myself with hair like that and I also don't feel like that when it's up.

christine1989
November 20th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I always made my mom braid my hair or put it in intricate styles when I was little so I am used to updos. Lately though I feel better with my hair down but I always force myself to keep it up for fear of damage.

Schefflera
November 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I think I look better with my hair down, at least when I've got it looking nice, but I usually at least have it back. I wore it in ponytails for years; I don't think the elastics were a major problem, but I generally got my mother to chop off several inches when it started catching in my waistbands. Then I decided I wanted to learn to do a proper French twist and got in the habit of wearing it all the way up -- and I've kind of gotten used to having it up off my neck in summer. I have to have it restrained somehow in lab to avoid contamination problems, anyway.

It's almost always low buns or ponytails with a part, though. My hair is only occasionally cooperative about going straight back.

GrowingGlory
November 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I dislike wearing my hair up, but as it is getting closer to APL, I can see the wisdom in the use of protective hair styling. I have some new hair tools and so I am having fun with updos right now.

DivineComedian
November 21st, 2010, 02:30 AM
I'm still rubbish at updos, although I'm working on it, and I find when I do put my hair up completely I have to have a few strands loose around my face- otherwise it makes my face look very chubby.

keepmyhair
November 21st, 2010, 03:16 AM
I have never really had my hair up :-), but as it's getting longer I feel more comfortable with it up, so that it does not fall on my face all the time.

katha
November 21st, 2010, 05:05 AM
I rarely wear my hair up, as in in a bun. I do wear braids a lot though. Mostly english, sometimes french or dutch. Braids are great. They are more protective than wearing hair down but you still see the lenght. Not as much, ok, but still...

RavennaNight
November 21st, 2010, 05:47 AM
Me too! Updos pull, tug, and hurt. I do them only if I am unwrapping a pallet of merchandise at work. Those pallets are held together with tons of tape, so that's not hair friendly. Otherwise, I wear it 90% down, and I am at almost-TB.

Urchin
November 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM
I wore my hair down all the time as a kid, but now I can't stand having it down. It gets everywhere and gets tangled. I also like it when people who have known me for a long time finally see my hair down for the first time and are really surprised.

HairFaerie
November 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM
When I had BSL, I never wore it up. Updos give me a headache. Period. I would try them once in a while out of curiosity but I would remove them within hours because of the headaches, I eventually just gave up on them.

The only thing I would do occasionally would be to tie it very loosely with one of those "non-stick" bands to keep it out of the way when the situation called for it.

Other than that, no updos for me either!

kathyblack1
November 21st, 2010, 09:03 AM
Funny, as a kid my mom would always braid my hair and on occassion have it up. It never bothered me. When I relaxed my hair and it was balding from damage, I would hide thinning hair by wearing it down. Now that my hair is free of chemicals and healthy, I still feel an aversion towards wearing my hair up. I prefer it down.

ladycaladium
November 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
When I was younger my mom used to braid my hair for school. We also had a summer place on a lake and my hair had two states-a messy ponytail or loose and soaking wet in the lake.

I'm currently wearing my hair up everyday but I did not like it at first. Now, as my hair gets longer (it's still short, but longer than it's been in awhile) I find that it does get caught in things like bag straps (even braided so I've started folding them up).

I find that I like it up better now than down. It probably takes an adjustment period.

bluesnowflake
November 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
I have a bad habit of wearing it down almost every day- it's a combination of the fact that I don't usually have time to put it up and the fact that I never did when I was younger, so I never got into the habit. I really should wear it up more often, but unfortunately I don't. Also, it's sometimes difficult to find bun styles that don't put a ton of stress on my neck from the weight of my hair.

Rivanariko
November 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
When I was really little, my mom used to put my hair up all of the time with different braids and bobbers and stuff. When I decided to grow my hair out again (I was about 8 at the time I think) I was old enough to take care of my own hair and my mom was going back to work, so I was left to my own devices. The most I'd do was a low ponytail and it was usually uneven and lumpy. I never really wore my hair Up until college when I moved to North Carolina and long hair down my back was too hot. Even then, I didn't like wearing my hair up, it was just necessary. When I found LHC, I started putting it up more to prevent damage, and now it's gotten long enough that it's annoying to have it down. I like how it looks down better, but it gets into EVERYTHING and gets caught on EVERYTHING. Not sure how I never noticed this when it was BSL to waist pre-LHC... guess I just didn't care and my scalp was desensitized due to regular abusive brushing. Nothing more comfortable than a french braid now.

JulietCapulet
November 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM
I don't like wearing my hair up anymore. I used to for years of ballet, but now that I don't dance anymore it seems unnecessary.

HintOfMint
November 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
Wearing it up is so much better for my hair (avoiding tangles and friction is pretty important for my underlayer) but I don't like doing it. Lately I've been wearing it down more. I reached waist and I'm feeling pretty good about that, so I've been showing off a bit.:o I have been on top of S&D, but eventually, I'm going to start wearing it up again... It feels like eating sprouts or some other foul vegetable. They're good for me, but I don't like eating them.

While updos are pretty from the back, they are pretty hit or miss when it comes to being flattering. Often, they just don't work.

italianamama
November 21st, 2010, 08:53 PM
Count me as a fellow updo-hater. I wear a single braid every. Single. Day. Updos give me a headache, and I like being able to show off (kinda) my length with a braid. I spent 5 years wearing my hair in a slicked back bun (or a super short bob) in the Marine Corps and I'm totally over it :D

Jules diamond
November 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
I only wear my hair up when I'm working. The stuff I deal with isn't stuff you'd want touching your hair.

Otherwise It's always down. My neck gets too cold otherwise.

Forever_Sophie
November 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
I'm the exact same way, I love having my hair down. I don't mind braids or ponytails, but I much prefer it loose. Buns are out of the question with me...I used the claw clip daily when I worked in daycare, because of little ones distributing lice :p

Angelica
November 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
If my hair was thick I would be wearing it down. I wear it up because it looks better up, not because I like doing it.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
If I could wear my hair down without it getting hot, in the way, or tangling/knotting, I'd prefer to wear it down. But it's impossible!

yogachic
November 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
It's always up in the summer, down in the winter. It's a keeping warm/cool thing for me.

Jadewtch
November 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM
I wish I could wear my hair down more, but it drives me crazy. It's hot and gets in my face, and it seems like no matter what I do I yank it all out with the strap on my pocketbook. Also, because it has an uneven wave and it's usually been in braids I need to blow dry or iron it straight.

luxepiggy
November 23rd, 2010, 01:59 AM
It's always up in the summer, down in the winter. It's a keeping warm/cool thing for me.
Oh yes! In winter I use my hair to keep my ears warm. I have a bad habit of warming my hands under my hair on the back of my hair too . . I need to stop doing that, it looks really odd (^(oo)^)

Nobody
November 23rd, 2010, 02:12 AM
Count me as a fellow updo-hater. I wear a single braid every. Single. Day. Updos give me a headache, and I like being able to show off (kinda) my length with a braid. I spent 5 years wearing my hair in a slicked back bun (or a super short bob) in the Marine Corps and I'm totally over it :D

Updos give me headaches too. I have neck problems and buns especially are terrible for me. Braids are sometimes but I'm super sensitive to whether there is excess pressure on one area over another, especially around the times when I get migraines or otherwise become sensitive to light and sound. I wear mine down except at one of my jobs, where it must be put up by protocol.