PDA

View Full Version : Brushes that give you naturally shiny hair?

Dreamkitty
November 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM
So I was in the shops today and noticed some expensive wooden brushes, can't remember what it was called but it had good quality bristles.

The product claims that the brush by itself gives you "Shiny, Silky, soft hair"?. Is there such a brush like this, does anyone own a brush like this and do they actually work?:D

GrowingGlory
November 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I have a Fuller Lustre Brush Professional that gives me shinier hair. It has a plastic backing and handle.
What is the name of the wooden brush that you were looking at?

chopandchange
November 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Was it one with boar bristles?

I don't know if they actually make your hair shinier, but some people claim that brushes with boar bristles help to "distribute the natural sebum down the hair shaft" which has the effect of distributing natural shine. It would seem that this translates as: "spread the built-up grease from your scalp all down your hair" and personally I do not like my hair to get to the stage where it's so dirty that the grease has built up to that degree, so if that's the "shine" that they were referring to, I don't like it! I prefer my hair to shine from cleanliness, not grease. I don't like having greasy hair. But some people don't produce much sebum so I guess for them it's OK.

Dreamkitty
November 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I can't remember the exact brush I was looking at but I know it was something similar to this. It doesn't say much on the site but on the package, it said it will give you silkier and shinier hair. I saw boar bristle brushes too, that said it will give you shinier hair.

http://www.boots.com/en/TRESemme-Oval-Porcupine-Cushion-Brush_1019692/

GrowingGlory
November 20th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a worthy investment. How much does it cost in U.S. dollars?

Madora
November 20th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hi, Dreamkitty,

Yes, a 100% pure boar bristle brush will definitely impart shine and glow to your hair.

It's HOW you use it, however, that makes the shine.

The boar bristle brush distributes the natural sebum that is already present when you brush from your nape all the way down to the ends.

To avoid static, follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand.

I've been using a natural BBB for more than 40 years and have been complimented on my shiny hair. people could not believe that it came from just brushing. I don't believe in putting anything else on my hair because the BBB does it all for me.

Your mileage may vary, of course!

Dreamkitty
November 20th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Madora- Very interesting, I never knew what even a boar brush was untill I decided to search it up on the internet. Thats pretty amazing if that let alone can make hair silky. I am interested in buying this and seeing if it makes any difference to my hair. Im not sure if it is 100% boar bristle, have to check again. How much do they roughly cost? :)

chopandchange
November 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I don't think that Boots one will have genuine boar bristles. I've never seen one of them in Boots. I have one that I bought on ebay ages ago. I think it was about £20, but I can't remember.

There's one here for about £8, that I've found just doing a quick search:

http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=998921

GrowingGlory
November 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Just wanted to add that my hair also has more volume and its color seems brighter and more interesting.

Dreamkitty
November 20th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for posting the link, chopandchange.

This may sound like a silly question but whilst boar bristles make hair shiny/soft, is it bad for the hair if you brush it in the wrong directions?

SilvraShadows
November 20th, 2010, 02:46 PM
My favorites have been the Ambassador bbb with a wooden base. These are made in Germany. I look for the ones with stiffer bristles since the softer bristles are pretty much worthless. The brushes with softer boar bristles only skim over my hair, cause damage, and don't massage my scalp. Price range is about $15.00.

Another favorite of mine is the Mason Pearson bbb. This brush has a rubber base to it and the bristles are fine yet stiff so they reach my scalp nicely. It is a high quality brush and worth the cost... since it is for a lifetime... as I hope my tresses are too. Mine cost $80.00.

More than the type of brush a person uses, it's the way a person brushes that can cause the damage. I used to use a soft nylon bristle brush, brushed very carefully, my hair was at it's best! But that was a long time ago! Lost it.

enfys
November 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Everyone who has tried my Tangle Teezer has asked me if it has some kind of conditioner on it or something because it makes their hair softer and shinier. It doesn't but it does wonderful things to many people's hair.

I couldn't use a BBB to detangle and I'm far too lazy to brush twice when my Tangle Teezer gives me a nice finish anyway. £10 in Boots.

How do you mean "brushing in the wrong direction"?

WinterInBloom
November 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM
My favorite boar bristle brush is a Bass one that I bought at Whole Foods about three years ago. I've never seen them carry it again so I imagine when I need a new one I'll have to order it online.

You can see a picture of it here (scroll down the bottom picture and mine is the clear plastic one in the middle, on the piece of driftwood):

http://www.thehairdoccompany.com/products/wildBoar/

It's a boar and nylon bristle blend. The BBs make my hair shiny, and the nylon gives it the ability to brush through and de-tangle my hair. I had 100% BB brush but I didn't have any luck pulling through my thick hair.

catspank
November 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I have a Mason-Pearson boar bristle and nylon brush that I adore. I don't know that it really transforms my hair so what one would call shiny, silky and soft :) but it definitely feels softer and looks nicer after brushing with it. A bit pricey, but worth every penny. I've never tried any other brand, but there are probably less expensive options that work just as well.

enfys, I haven't read the Tangle Teezer thread yet - clearly I've been missing out! I'm going to check it out right now.

cariboo
November 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM
This is maybe a silly question, but doesn't brushing damage your hair? I always used to brush, and then someone (?) told me that using a wide-tooth wooden detangling comb every few days (to avoid snaggles) but otherwise leaving your hair well alone would leave it in the best condition, as brushing can both cause breaks and premature shedding... so that's what I've been doing: is this nonsense?

x
:)

enfys
November 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
This is maybe a silly question, but doesn't brushing damage your hair? I always used to brush, and then someone (?) told me that using a wide-tooth wooden detangling comb every few days (to avoid snaggles) but otherwise leaving your hair well alone would leave it in the best condition, as brushing can both cause breaks and premature shedding... so that's what I've been doing: is this nonsense?

x
:)

It totally depends on your hair type and the quality of your detangling weapon.

Combing snags, pulls and breaks my hair like you wouldn't believe. I don't comb. ETA: I currently brush at least twice a day with a Tangle Teezer brush.

The thing that got brushes this bad reputation I think are the very cheap ones with balls on the bristles that fall off to leave rough ends; they can do damage through their roughness. The same is true of moulded combs with rough seams.

I don't think many people advocate wet brushing, whereas wet combing is quite common.

I always think if it ain't broke don't fix it; if your hair showed no damage from using your brush, no reason to stop using it.

ETA: not a silly question, and welcome to the forum!

Dreamkitty
November 22nd, 2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the links everyone, I have been reading through the replies and interesting to see a variety of brushes out there that give silky hair, I can't afford anything too expensive but those ones are a reasonable price.:)

Enfys- When I meant brushing the wrong way, I meant what cariboo said. I was just thinking about the bristles becoming stuck in my hair lol. And because I never used the special kind of brushes, I just thought maybe there is a different way to use them.

I bought a orange brush with balls on the end from boots, its quite good but I can't get it ll through my hair, so I don't use it alone. First use a wide plastic comb which is good at detangling and then use the brush because it feels much nicer and soothing on my scalp. I can only imagine what a good quality wooden/boar brush would feel like. Im planning on getting one, I have a thing for oval shaped brushes.:p

juliaxena
November 22nd, 2010, 03:42 AM
Was it one with boar bristles?

I don't know if they actually make your hair shinier, but some people claim that brushes with boar bristles help to "distribute the natural sebum down the hair shaft" which has the effect of distributing natural shine. It would seem that this translates as: "spread the built-up grease from your scalp all down your hair" and personally I do not like my hair to get to the stage where it's so dirty that the grease has built up to that degree, so if that's the "shine" that they were referring to, I don't like it! I prefer my hair to shine from cleanliness, not grease. I don't like having greasy hair. But some people don't produce much sebum so I guess for them it's OK.

If this is the case then for me it's no as bad as it sounds. It does not make hair look greasy at all. If anything, it makes it look less greasy for me, because it rids me of strings. I see none of this sebum all over my hair after using it. It would have to be really micro micro amounts if it's so. I think the shine comes from perfect alignment of hairs for me, especially since I always use it after wash too and there's no way my hair will be greasy after a wash.

Maverick494
November 22nd, 2010, 04:24 AM
I have the Braun Satin Hair IONtec brush. Sounds very sci-fi but it actually works! I have very tangly hair and I used to spend 30 minutes (I kid you not) untangling my hair with my fingers and a wide toothed comb after a shower (and yes, it was airdry by then). With this brush, I just get through it in one go, which is really exceptional when it comes to my hair. The only thing is that my hair seems a bit straighter, but I actually like that :D I also think it makes my hair shinier.

It's expensive, about $30, but for me totally worth it. I've had boar bristle brushes but my hair is too thick for them. I just can't brush everything with it.

cariboo
November 23rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
It totally depends on your hair type and the quality of your detangling weapon.
I always think if it ain't broke don't fix it; if your hair showed no damage from using your brush, no reason to stop using it.

ETA: not a silly question, and welcome to the forum!

Cheers for this enfys! I won't panic then :)

little_cherry
November 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I can't remember the exact brush I was looking at but I know it was something similar to this. It doesn't say much on the site but on the package, it said it will give you silkier and shinier hair. I saw boar bristle brushes too, that said it will give you shinier hair.

http://www.boots.com/en/TRESemme-Oval-Porcupine-Cushion-Brush_1019692/
That brush claimed to make hair shiny because the ceramic retains heat from the blow dryer..

In all honesty, I believe BBB are overrated...If I use mine, I make sure I use it sparingly...say once a month...any more than that, and my hair feels rough..

Madora
November 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
The most important thing to remember when brushing is this:

Detangle with a widetooth comb FIRST.

Brushes are not meant to detangle your hair! You will damage your hair if you just start brushing w/o detangling first!

And dreamkitty, for the sake of your hair, please, don't use a brush with rubber tips on the ends!!

Tia2010
November 23rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hi, Dreamkitty,

Yes, a 100% pure boar bristle brush will definitely impart shine and glow to your hair.

It's HOW you use it, however, that makes the shine.

The boar bristle brush distributes the natural sebum that is already present when you brush from your nape all the way down to the ends.

To avoid static, follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand.

I've been using a natural BBB for more than 40 years and have been complimented on my shiny hair. people could not believe that it came from just brushing. I don't believe in putting anything else on my hair because the BBB does it all for me.

Your mileage may vary, of course!

So when Using a BBB you should just go from the nape of the neck down to the ends not from the top of the head down?

HoneyJubilee
November 23rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
I love my Mason Pearson all nylon brush (I just don't like the idea of boar bristles). It's not a cheap brush, but I'm hoping it will last a very long time. I detangle with a comb, but I like the brush for smoothing my hair and helping to spread oils a bit. I think my hair feels softer after brushing, but I'm not sure how much shinier it is.

NouvelleNymphe2
February 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM
when i first joined LHC (a couple of months ago...hahaha, i feel like the start of this sentence makes it seem like it was "way back when i first joined"...anyways...)...ahem...when i first joined Madora suggested a bbb, and so after looking at her amazing hair (in her albums) i went out right away and bought one. i love it. i've never used good brushes or taken good care of my hair and so this forum and the advice from the gurus is really transforming my hair. sometimes i think my hair texture and curl are even changing!?!? i'll ask the gurus to re-type me in a year or so when my hair is longer and things are more evident. again i digress :), i like the bbb because it does add shine and does distribute your natural oils. i even add a little extra oil and it distributes this as well. it keeps me from shampooing so often because instead of washing i (comb/detangle gently first) and then use my bbb and instead of oily looking hair i get very shiny silky hair. so i can spread out my washes and i must say i don't need any styling products. after a few passes upside down i get a lot of volume, and i am a finey (at least i used to be, i have my doubts now, but we'll see:)). anyways i highly recommend it as someone who has made the change over recently!

tigr
March 5th, 2011, 12:02 PM
So when Using a BBB you should just go from the nape of the neck down to the ends not from the top of the head down?
From what I understand, Madora bends over to brush her hair. So for her, that *is* the top :)

jojo
April 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
when i first joined LHC (a couple of months ago...hahaha, i feel like the start of this sentence makes it seem like it was "way back when i first joined"...anyways...)...ahem...when i first joined Madora suggested a bbb, and so after looking at her amazing hair (in her albums) i went out right away and bought one. i love it. i've never used good brushes or taken good care of my hair and so this forum and the advice from the gurus is really transforming my hair. sometimes i think my hair texture and curl are even changing!?!? i'll ask the gurus to re-type me in a year or so when my hair is longer and things are more evident. again i digress :), i like the bbb because it does add shine and does distribute your natural oils. i even add a little extra oil and it distributes this as well. it keeps me from shampooing so often because instead of washing i (comb/detangle gently first) and then use my bbb and instead of oily looking hair i get very shiny silky hair. so i can spread out my washes and i must say i don't need any styling products. after a few passes upside down i get a lot of volume, and i am a finey (at least i used to be, i have my doubts now, but we'll see:)). anyways i highly recommend it as someone who has made the change over recently!
Madora's hair inspired me too, after just 4 days of using my BBB my hair is transformed. I did try one when I first joined but obviously didnt use it right as it made my hair horrible, completely different experience. I looking into buying a better quality one now, this is a keeper!

Catladyintown
April 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Dreamkitty I find that Denman brush are excellent quality brushes :cheese:
for the price.HTH
http://www.denmanbrush.com/index.html
http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/Grooming.html

Miss Catrina
April 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM
My boar bristle brush seems to really shine up my hair.

GRU
April 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM
My son's hair just about glows with shine if I use the Tangle Teaser on it...