PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: should I cut?

chopandchange
November 20th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Edit: here is a picture

http://my.picresize.com/0S3CLH8O33

I am posting this from my phone so I can't post pics, but I just wanted some advice and opinions because last night I got a mega urge to cut my hair so I might have to start the two-week rule countdown!

Basically, my bottom layers are still annoying me. My length goal is tailbone, and I've only another few inches to go, but my hemline goal is blunt. My shortest layers are about waist-length. It just annoys me having layers, because it looks so straggly and messy. I was really tempted to cut the longest part up to waist, and have a nice thick straight hemline... but it's taken SO LONG to grow this far, and I'm nearly there! Maybe I should wait until the ends reach my goal length, and then just maintain them there to let the short bits catch up...

What do people think?

jaine
November 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Do you have pictures?

lapushka
November 20th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Depends on how it looks. If that layer you're talking about is really thin, almost see-through, then I'd cut back to waist if I were you, but only then.

Yozhik
November 20th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I went to your page, but wasn't able to see any photos . . . I think it'd be really helpful if you could show some to illustrate exactly what you're talking about.

Personally, though, I think it's a matter of preference -- are the layers extremely annoying? Is getting rid of them better for your sanity than getting to your goal length quickly? These are the considerations I would examine in order to make a decision. :)

I'm going through a similar dilemma, because I'm getting pretty fed up with my ends (sparser than usual due to a year+ without trimming and very aggressive S&Ding), but for now I'm trying to convince myself that reaching goal length is more satisfying than blunt ends . . . :/

Good luck with whatever you decide!

jaine
November 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Btw Emichee wrote an article (or blog post; I forget which) that explains why your ends will end up thicker if you do multiple small trims over a long period instead of one big chop. It made sense to me - some of your longest hairs are in a "resting" phase and would not regain the length from a big chop before they shed. But if you do multiple small trims they would still be long while other hairs catch up.

spidermom
November 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
My suggestion - just keep growing and trimming a bit from time to time to keep the ends on the thicker side. Nobody has all one length hair. Because of the shed and regrow cycle, we've all got layered hair to some degree.

xoxophelia
November 20th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hard to say without pictures but I would take a few things into consideration:

-How often do you wear your hair up? If it is most of the time or you are willing to do that, I would delay the cut until TB or only do very tiny trims
-How long are you willing to wait for a blunt hemline (likewise, TB length hair)? Which is more important to you?

In your position, I would do a trims as a sort of middle ground. I maintain progress on both goals. So perhaps start cutting half the length on the long sections after a 1" trim over all to tidy up the current hemline you have.

Merlin
November 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Without seeing pictures it's hard to make suggestions but: you said it annoys you, and how you feel counts for a lot; from what I have seen of it in pictures your hair is never going to look less than great; and sometimes, hair which is shorter but has a heavy and blunt hemline can look, if not as long, then as nice, as hair which is longer and with lingering layers.

(I'm trying for a list prefaced with a full colon and with items separated by semi-colons here...impressed?)

hairobsessed1
November 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM
If I were in you position I would get a good trim- say about an inch or two on the bottom layer and about 1/2 that on the other layers- that way it will even it out a little more but you wont lose too much length, then when you get to your goal length you can cut it all to one length.

HintOfMint
November 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM
About 5 months ago, I was in the same boat. The bottom layers were all scraggly and tassel-y looking and they simply didn't look good. I was almost at waist, but I had enough and had them lopped off. I kept some of my layers, but the annoying parts got the chop. I was very glad to do it. The hemline looked so much better and then when I finally reached waist properly (I did get there eventually), I was happier because it actually looked nice.

chopandchange
November 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I do tiny trims regularly whenever they're needed, but I do them all over, so they don't have any effect on closing the distance between my layers.The ends aren't particularly thin-looking, because I keep them well trimmed, but it's just the fact that they're layered at all that annoys me. I did trim off about two inches off the bottom layer back in April (there's a post about it somewhere here on the forum - I did a lot of agonising before trimming) and initially I felt pleased that it looked blunter. Now it's starting to annoy me again.

Here is a picture I've just taken:

tinygirl
November 20th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Your hair is lovely!
I understand that the layers are annoying, but personally, I would so small trims often rather then one big chop.

GrowingGlory
November 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I'd just bite the bullet and trim to waist length. Personally, I prefer a healthy, thick hem to straggly, uneven length. If the thin, longer layers are bothering you a lot, it might be worth waiting a while longer to reach your length goal so that you can have healthy, strong hair when you get there.

jaine
Thanks for all the replies.

I do tiny trims regularly whenever they're needed, but I do them all over, so they don't have any effect on closing the distance betwen my layers.The ends aren't particularly thin-looking, because I keep them well trimmed, but it's just the fact that they're layered at all that annoys me. I did trim off about two inches off the bottom layer back in April (there's a post about it somewhere here on the forum - I did a lot of agonising before trimming) and initially I felt pleased that it looked blunter. Now it's starting to annoy me again.

Here is a picture I've just taken:

I actually have trouble seeing where the layers are...they seem to blend in really well.
Your hair looks very thick so I don't think it'll make a noticeable difference in the end if you do a big chop vs. multiple smaller trims ...either way it'll still be thick at the ends.

lapushka
The whole layer doesn't need to come off in one go, that's for sure! Your hair's lovely! I'd trim no more than an inch or so.

xoxophelia
November 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I actually like your hemline. If it was my hair I would leave it alone :)

Merlin
November 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
It looks great as it is, I've taken the liberty of Photoshopping it back to waist so you can see what it might look like - I hope you don't mind? I'll disappear the image tomorrow morning as I know you don't like having too many pictures of yourself

(Image disappeared as promised)

chopandchange
November 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hmm. It's hard for me to tell, because I can't see the back of my own head, but maybe most of the layers are indeed gone (apart from the face-framing bits at the sides). Maybe it's the V-hemline I'm referring to when I say my bottom layer is annoying me.

I just want it to be STRAIGHT ACROSS, and nice and thick. What should I do? I have my doubts that I will be capable of trimming my own hair in a nice straight line. I find trimming the layers easy, because I just trim a bit off individual strands and it doesn't have to be all exactly the same length. But I am NOT very good at doing "Feye's self-trim." Back in April, when I chopped off some of the V, I did it rather wonky. LOL

Oh, look! That was clever of you, Merlin! Hmm, no, I don't like it the way it is in your picture, after all. I like the bluntness, but not the shortness. I've got used to it being nice and long. I think I will keep it the way it is for now! Thank you for helping me decide!

Edit: plus, it's easy enough for Merlin doing a nice straight line in Photoshop, but how on earth am I ever going to do such a nice straight line on my real hair? (And, no, I will NOT go to a hairmesser, so please nobody suggest that)!

chelles2kids
November 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I like you're idea of continuing on with you're goal of tailbone and then just maintaining until all of the layers are gone.
You're already so close to goal now it wouldn't take you too long to reach it.:)

That way you would only lose a little bit of length each time you do a small trim while maintaining rather than lose several inches all at once and then having to wait for it all to grow back out together.

As for doing the self-trims and then coming out uneven, do you have a good friend or family member that you'd trust just to even up the small, uneven bits?
I sometimes have to do that myself.

Yozhik
November 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I really like your hemline now -- it looks like a gentle U-line to me. :)

I guess since you didn't like Merlin's photoshopping that maybe you should just stick with your occasional dustings?

In any case, your hair is really very pretty! I like it a lot, especially the waves. :flower:

Merlin
November 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Edit: plus, it's easy enough for Merlin doing a nice straight line in Photoshop,

You flatter me ..... but thankyou :-)

but how on earth am I ever going to do such a nice straight line on my real hair? (And, no, I will NOT go to a hairmesser, so please nobody suggest that)!

Do you have a friend you can trust to do it? Mrs M used to trust me to trim her's when it was long and I don't claim to extreme skill with scissors - you may have a friend who while not having hair experience can cut in a straight line and who is going to do what you want. Pay her in chocolates

twopoints
November 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Reach hair length goal. Reach hemline goal. Choose one.

jaine
November 20th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Another option is to trim 2-3" for a u-shape that's slightly less deep, but still long... that would look pretty too.

To be honest I think a blunt hemline on wavy hair can be very triangular and bottom-heavy...not a flattering shape for most people. Unless it's long enough for the natural taper to take out some bulk on the lower half.

chopandchange
November 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM
her's

Did you do that deliberately just to see if I was checking?

Merlin
November 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Did you do that deliberately just to see if I was checking?

No...I didn't....OMG I'm mortified!

xoxophelia
November 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Shame. Its going to be a long day

;)

chopandchange
November 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM

It's OK. Just find one of my mistakes to get your own back! LOL We all make them, but I thought that one was deliberate just to make me wince.

It seems that the general consensus regarding my hair is that it doesn't look too bad the way it is, and, as someone pointed out, were I to have a blunt hemline, I might look like a triangle head, anyway. Maybe I should just accept that my hair looks better with layers and uneven tendrils looping around everywhere. It's rather wild hair. It's not very well-behaved. I don't suppose it would like me trying to tame it by making it all one length. :rolleyes: Oh well.

spidermom
November 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Blunt at waist length, my hair looked like a cape.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/0807newsig.jpg

I showed it because I think you have enough wave that yours would be similar. I like my current U-hem much better; it's more natural-looking, less abrupt.

pepperminttea
November 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
My suggestion - just keep growing and trimming a bit from time to time to keep the ends on the thicker side. Nobody has all one length hair. Because of the shed and regrow cycle, we've all got layered hair to some degree.

I've been doing this between APL and waist - about two years - with 2" off each time, and my last trim took me up to the length of my shortest layer (though without trimming that specific layer, so directly after the trim, I did a thorough S&D). It worked for me; I gained length and lost layers.

daaisychains
November 20th, 2010, 02:59 PM
IMO your ends look healthy the only for you to cut would be to thicken the hemline if you wish.
If it's driving you up the wall then i'd go for it, i mean hair grows.
Even if you just snip 1/2'' off it can make so much difference.

Keep us updated. :D :blossom:

chopandchange
November 20th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks, everyone. I suppose I will just put up with it until it gets long enough.

The "waves" are due to being in a plait, by the way. My natural curl pattern isn't like that. It's a lot more wild!

renarok
November 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I think your hair is beautiful. I often think the 2 week rule isn't quite long enough. I think a 4 week rule is more sensible.

spidermom
November 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Oh, forgot to say before; your hair looks beautiful.

invisiblebabe
November 20th, 2010, 05:20 PM
I like your hair as it is :) If anything, I would only trim about 1/2 inch or so at the very bottom.

Cheeks1206
November 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Based on your photo, if it were me, I would grow until tailbone and maintain to thicken up the hemline.

Jenn of Pence
November 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Another option is to trim 2-3" for a u-shape that's slightly less deep, but still long... that would look pretty too.

I agree. Let's say that if in two weeks you still want to cut, I'd just go for taking the v to a u; shouldn't require more than an inch or two. Then you can see if that's indeed what is annoying you about your ends. They are definitely healthy looking, so it's not that! :)

shockinglength
November 20th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Yes, I wuld cut.

BeachBabe91
November 20th, 2010, 07:03 PM
if you are having ANY sort of doubt, then i say no, don't cut it. you will most likely regret it after if you have doubts now.
also, it looks beautiful!! and if you are almost at your goal, i'd say it's better to wait anyways, so that when you reach your goal, you can grow it a little longer so that when you do get it cut a bit, you will still be at your goal :)

RadiantNeedle
November 20th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Wonderful, glorious hair! I think I'd wait a month and wear a lot of up dos so that I don't really see the hem very often, then maybe have a 1-2 inch trim to make that U shape gentler, then wait another month or two and possibly trim again. But that's just me!

Fadedbluedreams
November 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
If I were in your shoes, (I mean hair) I wouldn't want to lose any of the length to compensate for the lack of an even hemline. I think if you just trimmed to keep the longest points where they are, then the other shorter pieces would catch up quicker. I recently experienced a crazy "catch up" in that my hair was very uneven a couple of months ago and it somehow caught up with the rest of my hair. I'm glad I didn't have to trim it like I thought I would. So, hang in there :)

Dragon
November 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Your hair looks great. My advice is wait till you get to your goal then trim till it grows out.

Bonkers57
November 20th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I agree wholeheartedly! Wish my hair looked so "straggly" :laugh:

I actually like your hemline. If it was my hair I would leave it alone :)

Roseate
November 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I often think the 2 week rule isn't quite long enough. I think a 4 week rule is more sensible.

I've often thought the rule should be something like a week for every inch you're thinking of cutting. If you're cutting off a foot of hair, you need to think about that way longer than if you're trimming 2"!

OP: To this observer, your hair looks great as it is. Not straggly at all. I agree with some smaller trims while still working towards your length goal.

lesbia
November 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM
If I were you I'd not cut, I prefer fairytale ends that a blunt cut :)

Xan
November 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM
No please don't cut,

Avital88
November 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Nooo it looks beautiful! (to me)

ladycaladium
November 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
I would say it is completely up to you. I do like this two-week rule I keep reading about and wished I had instituted something similar in the past.

To me, your hair looks good. I know it's been asked, but do you wear your hair up or down most of the time. If it's up, you won't notice the ends as much. I agree with the idea of if you decide to trim, just do a tiny bit at a time. It is your hair though and the decision is ultimately yours.

Arrow Juniper
November 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I'm with you on a desire for a blunt cut. I found this thread this evening while debating this very matter with myself.

For me, cutting about 1/4 of my hair into long (3" from bottom, tapered) layers was necessary for growing from shoulder/bsl to waist - to avoid a bushy triangle-head look. Now that most of my hair covers the small of my back, and no longer needing the extra inch or two of length to look balanced, I'm considering going blunt over a series of 3 x 1" trims (and possibly trying out a barber to make it even!)

Photoshop-ing a photo is a great idea. In your case, it's really hard to say, yes, cut! because it looks ideal already. But it's how it feels. I am looking forward to seeing your hair with a blunt hemline at any length.

sunshine80
November 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I would wait and take off a little at a time...It looks so beautiful as it is now:)

Speckla
November 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't cut. Your ends look very healthy.

LisaJaney
November 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Get a friend to do the trims for you as you work towards a horizontal hemline. Wear a horizontally-striped shirt for straight lines, or something, then stand really still and use GOOD hair-cutting shears (they're serrated so the hair doesn't 'walk' out from being cut)

And I am just another voice in the chorus of "your hair looks fine." If I had hair like that, I'be be happy. I don't -- my hair's SEE-THROUGH thin, as in 'invisible' from basically BSL and down, so I cut it so I could wear it down and not be ashamed. I cut it so that I could wear it down and NOT have people say "You should cut it here" and motion at BSL. So I cannot imagine what there would possibly be to complain about with such thickness all the way to the ends as you have, and am only glad you can't see MINE, if you think that what YOU have is messy and thin. You'd probably be another person to tell me "Good heavens, I'd cut it HERE". (and, after hearing it enough, that's prettymuch what I did, and like my hair a WHOLE lot better for it.)

Merlin
November 29th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Get a friend to do the trims for you as you work towards a horizontal hemline.

And she could always slap them if they don't get it straight...oh...right...that's just you

Wear a horizontally-striped shirt for straight lines, or something,

Somehow, I've never seen that many horizontally striped tops in the UK - they must be a colonial thing.

then stand really still

All those childhood ballet lessons coming in handy for more than good bun technique

And I am just another voice in the chorus of "your hair looks fine."

Agreed!, as our year 9 might put it - "your hair looks totally lush"

growing2shine
November 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I would not chop, but trim frequently. And I also think that your hair looks amazing! :)

principesse
November 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I agree with everyone who said just wait and trim it a little every once in a while. I think that when growing out hair, you will often have to go through awkward in-between stages where you are just tempted to cut it. Some of my biggest hair regrets are because I didn't wait and just cut my hair! I think your hair looks lovely now and with a little patience, will reach the length you want and with the hemline you want. Just hang in there :)

sserena
November 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM
It looks very full and healthy in the photo. I might do a micro trim to get rid of bad ends if you have them. If you decide to cut more to make it blunt, you need to feel comfortable with your choice. You might try experimenting with photoshop to see if you really like the look of it that way.

KittyLost
November 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I think your hair looks amazing! And I think you should just wait it out until you reach goal and then micro trim once there to get your hemline straight.

Medievalmaniac
November 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I think your hair looks AMAZING, and I would not chop. Maybe some trimming if the ends bother you a LOT, but don't chop!!

Angelica
November 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I think your hair is beautiful and thick and has a lovely texture, therefore why do you feel the urge to cut? Unless you really want to do it, I would say you don't need to otherwise, it looks great, I only wish my hair looked half as good.

Deborah
November 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
You hair is certainly not see-through, and looks quite healthy. If it were mine, I'd cut a couple inches off the V bottom though, to even things up. A slight U-shape would look perfect in my opinion.

chopandchange
November 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks, everyone! I suppose I will just stick it out until the longest bits reach my goal length, and then maintain them there and let the other bits catch up.

evampr18
November 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I have to agree with Spidermom and say to do trims to achieve that blunt hemline.