PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser appointment?

bluesnowflake
November 20th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I have an appointment with a hairdresser in about a week for a minor trim (~1 inch). I am happy with the job she does- cuts off exactly what I ask, doesn't pressure- except for one thing. She washes my hair and then attempts to rip through it with a brush- it makes me cringe to think about! Would it be appropriate for me to come to my appointment with damp, combed-out hair? I don't want to insult her or make her job harder, but I really don't want that damage. Also, is it polite to request that she not blowdry? I have been heat-free for several years and don't want to incur any damage. Any other tips for getting what you want at the hairdresser? I haven't had it trimmed in 6 months and the ends are getting raggedy. Unfortunately, I don't trust my family with the scissors- they'd like as not cut it all off!

spidermom
November 20th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I don't see a problem with that. The last time I saw my hair stylist, I told her I'd do the comb-out because it's such a hassle with my long hair and she could take a break. And that's what we did.

lordofthespoons
November 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
ask for a dry cut :)

twopoints
November 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Everyone knows that brushing wet hair causes breakage. So she won't be insulted.

Luna Lavender
November 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Mine does that too.
I just let her cut it dry, now. She only has to take off a little bit, so that isn't a problem. :)

Kathie
November 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I agree, ask for a dry cut. Some hairdressers could be a bit reluctant because apparently dry hair is harder on their scissors. If she is rough with your hair while brushing it tell her. Say that it hurts and you can hair your hair breaking.
Also I don’t think it would be rude to ask for her not to blow dry it. Again, it is a possibility that she may want to assess the cut when dry, you could say that you’ll drop by again another day if you notice any parts that don’t line up etc... that’s pretty typical practice anyway, a client has the opportunity to come back in within a few days if the cut doesn’t seem right.

pepperminttea
November 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Pre-self-trimming, I used to go to my hairdresser with my hair in a towel turban so I could use my shampoo/condish instead of hers - she didn't mind in the slightest, it saved her the hassle of washing it, and saved me some money. I might advise a damp bun rather than a towel though, I didn't comb mine beforehand, and it's easier to be out in public with a bun than a towel. :p

LaurelSpring
November 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Ask for exactly what you want! Come with your hair as you want and tell her exactly what you do and dont want. Be very clear! You are the client and you get what you want...period! Its not about her feelings. Its her job to make you happy with the services.

PineappleJello
November 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I don't think there is any problem going with damp hair, if she asks you don't have to really tell her anything.

JulietCapulet
November 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
This is your hair, you can request pretty much anything you want regarding your hair. I don't let the hairdresser rip through my hair anymore! Yikes!

UltraBella
November 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Not everyone's hair is the right type for a dry cut and some stylists are better at cutting wet hair and you definitely want her to do the best job possible. I recommend letting her wash it and then asking to detangle it yourself. I always have my large pick with me and I just explain that I have a VERY tender head so I prefer to do it myself. And if I don't want it blow-dried I just say that I always let my hair air dry. The stylist is usually happy to do less if it makes you happy.

OR Cowgirl
November 21st, 2010, 09:56 PM
I always go in with damp hair, almost still dripping. I've known my stylist for 25 years and sometimes she'll say something about feeling bad that I usually walk out with wet hair so I just take a scrunchy with me and have her braid it! It is way faster than blowdrying, I walk out ready to continue my day, and both of us are happy!