PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what shampoo is best for me (tried 10 brands in 2 months)

healthystheway
November 20th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Im currently using Pureology Super Straight which is discontinued so I've tried to find another brand and with no luck. I need sulfates but not the harsh ones and Im allergic to many botanical extracts. My hair type: fine but lots of it, normal to oily, uncolored, faithfully trim it every 8 weeks, and all I do is shampoo and condition the ends, no products.
So far I've tried Aveda Smooth Infusion but the scent gave me a terrible migraine, Kerastase Bain Satin 1 which I had no reaction to but my hair felt weighed down and coated in wax, Paulas Choice which made my hair very dry and tangled and acted more like a clarifier, Earth Science FF and that was awful, straw like hair that was a solid mass after washing, Burts - didn't work for me, Suave made my skin break out, DermOragnix which put too much oil in my hair and had to clarify for 2 days, etc.....
I know b/c my hair tends to get oily at the roots I need a good s/c that will clean it but not strip it and b/c my hairs fine it gets weighed down easily. Too many cones and I get greasy looking hair, no cones and I can't even get a comb thru it. The natural s/c's aren't for me but neither are the ones like Pantene which are full of sulfates and cones.
Does anyone have recs for a happy medium shampoo? Low sulfates or minus the harsh ones with a few cones but not so many it takes up the whole ingredient list?

kschr2004
November 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM
If you like Pureology, have you looked into any other shampoos from their line? I use their dandruff care shampoo and I really like it.

healthystheway
November 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM
If you like Pureology, have you looked into any other shampoos from their line? I use their dandruff care shampoo and I really like it.

I have tried them all but the scent is very strong, I can handle light scents but they just overdo the scents. PureVolume was my last one and phew, even my husbands eyes watered.

kschr2004
November 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I have tried them all but the scent is very strong, I can handle light scents but they just overdo the scents. PureVolume was my last one and phew, even my husbands eyes watered.

Sorry to hear that! I don't have a lot of suggestions, but have you looked into organic shampoos (Aubrey, Avalon Organics, Jason)? Sometimes the scent is still strong with those shampoos, but it can come across as a bit more natural, I think.

spidermom
November 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Try diluting a small amount of the least objectionable in warm water and squirting it all over your scalp.

chelles2kids
November 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I am not familiar with products for you're hair type but I will say that it sounds like ALOT using 10 different shampoo within an 8 week period.
So I can see how you'd be frustrated.

I *think* there is a group here for fine/thin hair, you might want to join over there and ask around as to what is working well for others with similar hair type?

Or maybe even just type into the 'search engine' above fine hair products or something similar, maybe that will redirect you to threads where they've discussed this.

I wish you luck because I know how very frustrating it can be trying to find products/routine that works.:grouphug:

Gabriel
November 21st, 2010, 04:30 AM
10 brands in two months is a lot of different products. If you even changed conditioners on and off as well that adds even more.

spidermom's suggestion is a good one.

Try clarifying (a hair "reset" so there isn't anything competing with your shampoo of choice left on your hair from previous shampoo and conditioning) and then using the diluted version.

You've used so many things you might need a couple of clarifying washes, then use your diluted shampoo and your conditioner of choice. I'd definitely slow down and give each one that almost worked for you a good trial run especially if you didn't clarify before trying it.

Definitely toss any you had adverse physical reactions to though.

The straw, waxy, coated feeling sounds a lot like build up so I'd definitely start with clarifying. You might also want to look into vinegar or lemon water final rinses. I'm not too sure if they're okay with coney products though but a quick search will bring up lots of info regarding them and the proper dilutions.

Something else to think about which might not apply at all is the type of water you have. If you've moved or been traveling maybe the quality of your water has changed. If not totally disregard :).

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for shampoo and conditioners but hope you find something that works out soon!

jaine
November 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM
You mentioned at least one brand that made your skin break out. I have sensitive skin and have much better luck shopping at a health food store for shampoo and conditioner compared to drug stores or salons. I found lots of shampoos and conditioners at Whole Foods that don't irritate my skin. It will be easier to find a non-irritating shampoo without cones but you may be able to find a few with cones.

ktani
November 21st, 2010, 06:31 AM
Welcome to LHC!

I agree that clarifying may help at this point.

Understand that you are not alone with this problem. A number of members here including me have sensitivities or allergies to certain ingredients, including fragrances. If you can identify specifically what you can react to that is best. However, that is not always easy and ingredient labels are getting more complicated as new ingredients are created. Even organic, all natural products can be problematic.

I recently started this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025, where simple, basic shampoos are having the most success with coconut oil added to them. Baby shampoo, shampoo bars and other shampoos are being used, where on their own, they could not be used regularly without problems or much more conditioner used to follow them. In some cases, conditioner is no longer required following a coconut oil shampoo.

There are 2 links to consistent results that may prove helpful to you. Good luck!

healthystheway
November 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I really don't know what Im going to use but I wonder why all these salon brands that offer volume, hydration, damage repair, etc don't offer something as simple as fragrance free? It seems scent would be the first thing that someone would sniff before they bought and A LOT of people can't handle scented products. I use St Ives Oatmeal and Shea Butter body wash and the smell is so faint yet so soothing, they used to make s/c but discontinued just like most of the s/c's that I've liked. I realize Im ranting but so many companies load their shampoos with so many cones to give the hair a fake appearance of looking healthy, why not add a few cones so we benefit from the slippage and shine but doesn't coat our hair in wax? I need sulfates to clean my scalp but the harsh ones (amm esp) is found in so many shampoos. UGH! All the good shampoos that I loved have gone to shampoo heaven :( If I could take most of the scent out of a shampoo that I liked I'd be so happy. If anyone has more suggestions, please reply, Im almost out of my current HG and have no idea what to use. Thanks again!

healthystheway
November 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I really don't know what Im going to use but I wonder why all these salon brands that offer volume, hydration, damage repair, etc don't offer something as simple as fragrance free? It seems scent would be the first thing that someone would sniff before they bought and A LOT of people can't handle scented products. I use St Ives Oatmeal and Shea Butter body wash and the smell is so faint yet so soothing, they used to make s/c but discontinued just like most of the s/c's that I've liked. I realize Im ranting but so many companies load their shampoos with so many cones to give the hair a fake appearance of looking healthy, why not add a few cones so we benefit from the slippage and shine but doesn't coat our hair in wax? I need sulfates to clean my scalp but the harsh ones (amm esp) is found in so many shampoos. UGH! All the good shampoos that I loved have gone to shampoo heaven :( If I could take most of the scent out of a shampoo that I liked I'd be so happy. If anyone has more suggestions, please reply, Im almost out of my current HG and have no idea what to use. Thanks again!

So funny, I just read the ingredients for a L'Oreal shampoo and it had 2 waxes in it, it said 'blah blah wax and blah blah wax'. Now Im not a rocket scientist but isn't an actual wax in a shampoo a no no? LOL just had to share all the luck Im having.

ktani
November 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
So funny, I just read the ingredients for a L'Oreal shampoo and it had 2 waxes in it, it said 'blah blah wax and blah blah wax'. Now Im not a rocket scientist but isn't an actual wax in a shampoo a no no? LOL just had to share all the luck Im having.

Cosmetic companies are doing that more and more, adding waxy ingredients to shampoos and you are right, I also believe that they are not necessarily helpful. In my opinion they will add to or cause build-up.

Thanks to Vanilla Tresses, there is this thread on fragrance free hair products, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47921.

healthystheway
November 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Cosmetic companies are doing that more and more, adding waxy ingredients to shampoos and you are right, I also believe that they are not necessarily helpful. In my opinion they will add to or cause build-up.

Thanks to Vanilla Tresses, there is this thread on fragrance free hair products, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47921.

I saw that, its great but I've tried a few listed and looked at the others and for some reason FF = more botanical extracts and a very odd ingredient list. The closest to being a 'normal' shampoo that lathers w/o many extracts is Paulas Choice which stripped my hair and dried it out. I know I may sound like Im asking for a lot (which I guess I am lol). My ideal shampoo would be like Pureology minus the scents. They're great but you have to have a strong nose to handle the scents, very floral and almost incense like. The Pureology I use thats discontinued is actually labeled as unisex so the smell is so light you don't even detect it after washing, my husband loves it too. My hairs healthy so I want a basic shampoo w/o smelling like I have a flower arrangement on my head. :confused:

GrowingGlory
November 22nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo and Body Wash

Marjolein
November 23rd, 2010, 02:22 AM
Perhaps you could buy a shampoo base from one of those online soap making stores? These bases are unscented and have not too much ingredients.

jaine
November 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo and Body Wash

This is a good suggestion for sensitive skin and it comes in a fragrance-free version and another version scented with essential oils only. But its only surfactants are decyl polyglucose and decyl glucoside - not strong enough to remove cone buildup.

I do think you will find something you like in a health food store. I regularly see fragrance-free shampoos and non-irritating shampoos with a mild essential oil fragrance. You may have to compromise on getting cones in your shampoo - but like ktanti said you can just as easily mix your shampoo with oil to get the same slip effect while the shampoo is in your hair. I regularly mix my shampoo with a handful of conditioner because it's less tangly while the shampoo is in my hair.
And it's very easy to find natural *conditioners* that use cones.

I spend way too much time in Whole Foods reading ingredient lists and then googling them... :)

SpinDance
November 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
healthystheway, have you checked places that sell bases, like shampoo and conditioner bases to which you can add your own scents or other ingredients? A friend of mine gets hers from here: http://www.essential7.com/.

Delila
November 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
I think clarifying might be a good next step, just in case your hair's gotten overloaded.

I tend to get along best with fairly plain shampoos. This past year I've used almost nothing but the George Michael line, but have also had good results with Biolage. It's been a while since I've used anything from that line, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I had to. Whatever fragrance element they use doesn't seem strong to me at all, so Biolage may be worth a look. They have a range of shampoo types.

(I'm not exactly sensitive to scents, but am prone to feeling totally overloaded if a product has lots of fragrance. Lots of the brands that seem very popular just have way too much scent for me.)

healthystheway
November 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Update: I just tried Kerastase Bain Miroir 1 and my hair still felt coated not to mention the smell is really strong. I do clarify my hair using California Baby, it really cleans my scalp and since I tend to have a sensitive scalp its a gentle cleanser. I went to an allergist and Im allergic to plant (botanical) extracts and green tea with a few others I won't ramble about. I know I need some kind of protein in the shampoo rice, soybean, wheat (I've noticed it helps the health). I just really cant believe how difficult it is to find a shampoo that maintains the health of my hair w/o essential oils, tons of silicones or botanical extracts that cause me to have a reaction. Im fine with the gentler sulfates but als is really harsh. Also I've noticed a lot of shampoos have acid or alcohol in them (some have both), how is that good for hair? My ideal ingredient list would be gentle sulfates (cleansing agents), water soluble cones (slippage), and some protein (maintains health). Good luck to me - again lol. Thanks to all who have replied and thanks in advance to those who might reply :)

OhioLisa
November 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Update: I just tried Kerastase Bain Miroir 1 and my hair still felt coated not to mention the smell is really strong. I do clarify my hair using California Baby, it really cleans my scalp and since I tend to have a sensitive scalp its a gentle cleanser. I went to an allergist and Im allergic to plant (botanical) extracts and green tea with a few others I won't ramble about. I know I need some kind of protein in the shampoo rice, soybean, wheat (I've noticed it helps the health). I just really cant believe how difficult it is to find a shampoo that maintains the health of my hair w/o essential oils, tons of silicones or botanical extracts that cause me to have a reaction. Im fine with the gentler sulfates but als is really harsh. Also I've noticed a lot of shampoos have acid or alcohol in them (some have both), how is that good for hair? My ideal ingredient list would be gentle sulfates (cleansing agents), water soluble cones (slippage), and some protein (maintains health). Good luck to me - again lol. Thanks to all who have replied and thanks in advance to those who might reply :)

Kerastase Bain Miroir 1 has a silicone very high up on the list, so that is most likely your problem with that particular product. You say you have fine hair which gets weighed down easily, so I would honestly stay away from cones. You do not necessarily need cones for slippage. Furthermore, something as gentle as California Baby is not going to be strong enough to clarify your hair. If you can't use the stronger sulfates, it would be better then to not put things like cones on your hair in the first place.

The alcohols found in conditioners are not alcohols as we are familiar with. They are emollients, lubricants, or surfectants. So, they are usually a good thing, in fact.

Similarly, don't let the term acid scare you. We're not talking battery acid here. Acids are simply chemicals with a lower pH. The acids used in such products are rather weak.

Being a finey with many chemical sensitivities myself, I find that staying away from cones and too much protein helps tremendously. You say you need protein... but to me it sounds like you are possibly getting some protein overload as well. Perhaps just cut it down to one protein treatment per week. And always always always follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment.

I will try to get back to you with some product suggestions. :) (I would suggest my own products, but am not sure if your sensitivities could allow them.)

healthystheway
November 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Kerastase Bain Miroir 1 has a silicone very high up on the list, so that is most likely your problem with that particular product. You say you have fine hair which gets weighed down easily, so I would honestly stay away from cones. You do not necessarily need cones for slippage. Furthermore, something as gentle as California Baby is not going to be strong enough to clarify your hair. If you can't use the stronger sulfates, it would be better then to not put things like cones on your hair in the first place.

The alcohols found in conditioners are not alcohols as we are familiar with. They are emollients, lubricants, or surfectants. So, they are usually a good thing, in fact.

Similarly, don't let the term acid scare you. We're not talking battery acid here. Acids are simply chemicals with a lower pH. The acids used in such products are rather weak.

Being a finey with many chemical sensitivities myself, I find that staying away from cones and too much protein helps tremendously. You say you need protein... but to me it sounds like you are possibly getting some protein overload as well. Perhaps just cut it down to one protein treatment per week. And always always always follow a protein treatment with a moisture treatment.

I will try to get back to you with some product suggestions. :) (I would suggest my own products, but am not sure if your sensitivities could allow them.)

Oh any rec's would be appreciated and thank you for the explanation :cheer:

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM
California baby shampoo is not a clarifyer. You have tried so many shampoos withough really clarifying in between, if that is what you have been using, that it is not a fair test of what you have bought.

Simple shampoos without additives are difficult to find. However, it is not that difficult.

The waxy type ingredients in both shapoos and conditioners, not to mention natural oils and herbal extracts can all build-up. If you have been using products like this, clarifying is a good idea.

Depending on availability, I suggest Neutragena Anti-Residue Shampoo. Some clarifyers have coating ingredients in them too. This one is very basic.

healthystheway
November 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM
California baby shampoo is not a clarifyer. You have tried so many shampoos withough really clarifying in between, if that is what you have been using, that it is not a fair test of what you have bought.

Simple shampoos without additives are difficult to find. However, it is not that difficult.

The waxy type ingredients in both shapoos and conditioners, not to mention natural oils and herbal extracts can all build-up. If you have been using products like this, clarifying is a good idea.

Depending on availability, I suggest Neutragena Anti-Residue Shampoo. Some clarifyers have coating ingredients in them too. This one is very basic.

I took everyones advice and just washed with Suave Daily Clarifier? Think that's the name. I definitely feel a difference! My hairs soft and bouncy and my scalp feels a bit like menthol, definitely cleaned my scalp and hair. I realize now the baby shampoo was not really removing residue. ;)

Now back to finding a good shampoo and conditioner.... I have to say the Suaves scent was great! Very mild and now I can barely smell it but I do feel as is the als was a bit harsh or I'd just pick another Suave shampoo but I can't see using a shampoo with als everyday.

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I took everyones advice and just washed with Suave Daily Clarifier? Think that's the name. I definitely feel a difference! My hairs soft and bouncy and my scalp feels a bit like menthol, definitely cleaned my scalp and hair. I realize now the baby shampoo was not really removing residue. ;)

Now back to finding a good shampoo and conditioner.... I have to say the Suaves scent was great! Very mild and now I can barely smell it but I do feel as is the als was a bit harsh or I'd just pick another Suave shampoo but I can't see using a shampoo with als everyday.

I am pleased for you that your hair and scalp are both better. Good luck!

healthystheway
December 4th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who told me to clarify my hair. I know shampoos can be a hit or miss but when your scalp and hair has build up, no shampoo will work well. I found a great new shampoo and no reactions and though it has a slight scent in the bottle, completely gone when hair is dry. Soft and silky hair is back! I don't use styling products or color my hair so Im guessing I'll clarify once or twice a month, but getting rid of build up was the key. I also think never clarifying my hair hindered it growing as fast, maybe its not true but now Im noticing it looks a tiny bit longer. New shampoo, new start and now begins letting my hair grow as long as possible (hoping for half way down my back as Im at bra strap level now). And yes I get it trimmed every 8 weeks so it grows healthy. Thanks again, couldn't have done it without your help! :happydance:

princessp
December 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Someone here turned me on to Goth Rosary Nothingness (scent free) shampoo and conditioner. http://www.gothrosary.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6
I've been adding water to the shampoo (I don't think you have to, but I have been extra sensitive lately) anyway, I'm really digging them right now.

ETA: Oops just read your post above, so glad you found something!