PDA

View Full Version : My hair just freaked out !

UltraBella
November 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM
So, I usually put aloe vera gel OR coconut oil in my damp hair when I get out of the shower. Usually aloe, it leaves my hair feeling so soft and moisturized. But I like the coconut oil too.
I only had a small amount left of both, so I decided to mix them together and apply it to my damp hair. I distributed it evenly and went about my business. Five minutes later I noticed my hair that was hanging over my shoulders was really flyaway and weird. I flipped the light on in the bathroom and discovered my DAMP hair practically standing on end. I have never seen damp hair have a static issue of this magnitude.
What in the world ?? I didn't even know that was possible.
I ended up spraying my hair with Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic until it was almost dripping and now it seems fine.
Anyone have any theories on why my hair went wild with static ?

rymorg2
November 20th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Huh. No idea. Maybe some of the properties of each reacted together somehow.

WinterInBloom
November 20th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Very interesting, but I have no theories, sorry.:ponder:

I mix aloe and coconut oil for my body moisturizer and it works well though.:)

TiaKitty
November 20th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I think it was that fork you were sticking in the toaster...

leslissocool
November 20th, 2010, 02:19 AM
It could really be the change of weather... My hair does that on the winter, really weird. It could also be the the way you applied the aloe-coconut mix, since you where using it sparingly and you mentioned the weird way you did it.
I took a physics class that talked about central heating during the winter and how it carried electricity into the air, making hair really frizzy. If you rubbed it a funny way, and if it somehow didn't have a way to "discharge"... well the hair looks like you put hairspray on while being upside down.

DARKMARTIAN
November 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Here is what I can make of this.

Aloe being a plant of the succulent variety has a special enzymatic structure and much like the mixture of coconut milk and the the root of the Kava plant, you will get a chemical reaction if you mix the two. That having been done.....when airborn electrons come into contact with this chemical reaction happening on your hair, the introduction of those electrons completes the equation needed to generate something known as the "SGS effect" (Self generating Static). Its really all about the activity of the sub-atomic particles and how fast they are moving....
Applying the Biolage over saturated the static areas thereby nullifying the effect, but it would have disrupted the chemical reactions anyway.

Actually....I have no idea either. :) I just thought it sounded good, lol. :p But I would actually lean toward some kind of chemical / atmospheric and or environmental effect (ill cover all variables)......maybe.....possibly....potentially. ....:)

UltraBella
November 20th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Darkmartian, that was fabulous :)

Yozhik
November 20th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Interesting reaction, UltraBella!

I regularly use aloe vera and coconut oil mixed together in my hair, and I haven't yet gotten wet hair static . . . it really must depend on climate/atmospheric changes. :shrug:

FWIW it's quite dry and cold here, although today it's snowing!

Alvrodul
November 20th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I love your theory, Darkmartian! :D :flower:

Your hair's reaction to the aloe and coconut oil seems rather counterintuitive to me, UltraBella. My hair gets less static electricity with oils. I haven't used aloe much, and I certainly haven't combined it with oil the way you did this time.

My theory is that it may be the weather, the way leslissocool and Yozhik already have suggested. I tend to get more trouble with static in the winter because of the temperature and the lower humidity - and it is definitely worse when it is very cold!

RadiantNeedle
November 20th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I think you might have discovered an anti-gravity gel... O.O

CrisDee
November 20th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Is it cold and dry where you are? I know that's not a coconut oil-friendly climate, many people have problems using coconut oil during that kind of weather. Still, that's a strange hair reaction - wish you could have shown us pictures, it sounds kinda fun :D

skaempfer
November 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM
What?! I don't believe it. I demand photographic evidence!

(Ok, I do believe it, but sounds like pics would be really fun :D )

I'll have to try this next halloween.:pumpkin:

kschr2004
November 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM
No theories here, but when searching on the combination I did find a 'moisture pudding' that combines organic coconut and aloe:

http://darcysbotanicals.com/natural-hair-collection/organic-coconut-and-aloe-moisture-pudding.html

So it seems that this might be a combination some people can use successfully. I guess YMMV? (though this is out of stock in the link above, the reviews on it appear to be pretty good!)

spidermom
November 20th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Weird; I've used the combination before with good results.

ericthegreat
November 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Aloe being a plant of the succulent variety has a special enzymatic structure and much like the mixture of coconut milk and the the root of the Kava plant, you will get a chemical reaction if you mix the two. That having been done.....when airborn electrons come into contact with this chemical reaction happening on your hair, the introduction of those electrons completes the equation needed to generate something known as the "SGS effect" (Self generating Static). Its really all about the activity of the sub-atomic particles and how fast they are moving....
Applying the Biolage over saturated the static areas thereby nullifying the effect, but it would have disrupted the chemical reactions anyway.

Actually....I have no idea either. :) I just thought it sounded good, lol. :p But I would actually lean toward some kind of chemical / atmospheric and or environmental effect (ill cover all variables)......maybe.....possibly....potentially. ....:)

I'll keep this quote in mind the next time I pretend to be a bio-nuclear-physicist. :rollin:

As to your hair crisis Ultrabella, I will take an educated guess and say that the combination of both the aloe vera and the coconut oil, plus the dry cold weather of winter in Montana all contributed to creating the static. What works for me when I need to keep static at bay is using Static Guard and also during the winter, I make sure I use a moisturizing conditioner and deep conditioner. Its the combo of cold air and dry indoor heat which dries out our hair and causes the static, so adding back the moisture prevents the static. Also, you could invest in a humidifier in your room if you really feel that the air is too dry.

TinaDenali
November 20th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Love it. :thumbsup:

yellowchariot
November 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
So, I usually put aloe vera gel OR coconut oil in my damp hair when I get out of the shower. Usually aloe, it leaves my hair feeling so soft and moisturized. But I like the coconut oil too.
I only had a small amount left of both, so I decided to mix them together and apply it to my damp hair. I distributed it evenly and went about my business. Five minutes later I noticed my hair that was hanging over my shoulders was really flyaway and weird. I flipped the light on in the bathroom and discovered my DAMP hair practically standing on end. I have never seen damp hair have a static issue of this magnitude.
What in the world ?? I didn't even know that was possible.
I ended up spraying my hair with Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic until it was almost dripping and now it seems fine.
Anyone have any theories on why my hair went wild with static ?

^ Pics or it didn't happen! :bigtongue:

^ I agree! I use this method all of the time when my friends and I get together for static electricity wars. I win every time. :draw:

little_cherry
November 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I vote for change of the weather. Aloe is a humectant. My rule is, if the weather is wetter than your hair, use humectants. That's why I like rainy days.

Aaaaaha! So basically, there's a war going on. Interrrrrresting. ;) I likey.

spitfire511
November 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I did find a 'moisture pudding' that combines organic coconut and aloe:

There's your problem... you unwittingly put pudding on your hair. If you'd have added chocolate you'd have been fine. :-)

Darkmartian - are you sure you aren't a writer for Stargate? Love it!!

skaempfer
November 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM
There's your problem... you unwittingly put pudding on your hair. If you'd have added chocolate you'd have been fine. :-)

Darkmartian - are you sure you aren't a writer for Stargate? Love it!!

Oh, yeah! Or Star Trek! Maybe the polarity got reversed! Quick, check for Tachyon particles! (No, seriously; you should write, if you don't!)

You guys are so funny. Sorry about your hair not behaving, Bella, but does it help to know at least you provided the springboard for some first class entertainment? :drama:

UltraBella
November 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I wish I did have pictures ! Didn't even cross my mind.
I have obviously had static in my hair before, and it is always dry here in Montana. Summer is dry, winter is dry, so if I only used aloe in my hair when it is humid I would never get to use it. And it always feel fantastic. So does the coconut oil. But yes, it is cold and dry here.
My biggest issue is the fact that my hair was still wet !!! How can wet hair have static ?!?! It was nuts !

DARKMARTIAN
November 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Why dont you just redo the "experiment" ? Perform the same actions again and see what happens......(have the camera ready) ;)

yellowchariot
November 20th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Why dont you just redo the "experiment" ? Perform the same actions again and see what happens......(have the camera ready) ;)

^ +1

Also water is an excellent conductor of electricity. Thus if she were rubbing her hair very fast or whatnot, she could have had enough watts built up, to killed a man!

DARKMARTIAN, I also have a theory to add: UltraBella, could be an unknown descended of Zeus, the god of lightning! ;)

UltraBella
November 20th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Lol, that's hysterical ! If I redo the experiment you will still have to wait several days, I am not washing again this quickly just to amuse you two !!!!

DARKMARTIAN
November 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
No problem. I can wait (I guess). But I gotta tell you. The anticipation level has indeed risen.

*crosses fingers in hopes of bizarre hair activity*.....:)

tinti
November 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Just have to day, Darkmartian you make me laugh *giggles* And I agree with whoever said you should start writing if you don't do :)
On the giga static hair part I have no idea ... maybe it's some kinda reaction between unusual(?) combo of aloe + cocout oil + stupid winter weather :p

Lipbalmbabe
February 25th, 2012, 10:08 AM
This sounds really cool. I want to try it just to see what it looks like!:)

Long_Curls
February 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM
The only issue I have found with coconut oil is that if I put too much, my hair solidifies and feels greasy and straw-like.

Aloe Vera, on the other hand, seems to be benign although I haven't overdosed my curls with it as I've done with the coconut oil.

Alvrodul
February 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM

WIN!! :bowtome:

It really sounds like a strange reaction, UltraBella. At least you know not to combine these two ingredients like that.
That said, the reaction could also have been quite unrelated to you putting them on your hair! :p

hermosamendoza
September 13th, 2012, 08:38 PM
hahaha i'm sorry that's so funny! Those are the two products I use too...now i want to see if I can get my hair to freak out.