PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions!

HairFaerie
November 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
My hair length is at the point where I have some decisions to make...

Do I want to keep bangs? Right now they are starting to get in my eyes and annoy me but not long enough yet to look that good pushed to the side! AGH!

Do I want to keep the layers or cut to make it eventually all one length? I am thinking it would be better for me to cut now if I want to lose most of the layers, since my hair is already short-ish. I am afraid if I wait too long, I won't want to cut the length.

I am trying to see the "big picture" in order to help me decide.

My ultimate hair goal would be between BSL and waist in length. I don't want a blunt, straight hemline. I am thinking "U" would look nice on me. Small layers toward the ends wouldn't bother me, but I don't want a lot of layers when it gets longer. (But, like I said, I don't want it blunt either. I guess somewhere in between.) Bangs or tapered down the side might add the variety that I always enjoy.

I know it is personal preference but any suggestions?
Anybody else gone through this stage? How did you decide and what did you do about it based on your ultimate goal?

Thanks!

aenflex
November 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Grow out bags - all the way! I'm at shoulder from growing out a pixie. Of course, bangs are very subjective and very much a personal matter :)

chelles2kids
November 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Not at you're length but I defiantely went through the growing out pain with bangs.:p

For the most part I have always had bangs, actually even after I decided to let my hair grow out some I still had bangs.
Then I decided that, especially in the summertime, doing up-dos would be so much easier (and cooler on my forehead) if I didn't have to deal with bangs.

It took a few years for them to get out to the 'sticking behind my ears' length but I used super little clippies and just kinda clipped them to the side. Believe it or not once you figure out a way to keep them outta you're eyes it isn't a really long time until you can either catch them in a barette on top of you're head or stick them behind you're ears.
It feels *alot* longer than it actually is though.

Also another thing to consider is the shape of you're forehead. Some people take this into consideration before deciding one way or another.
What you could do is to go around with them pinned off of you're forehead for an afternoon and see how you like the look of it? Kinda a "trial run" if you will.

smileycat
November 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I never had a problem growing out bangs, but I never had them cut in too thick, either. It is definitely difficult for me to give up length to even up layers. I can't do it, and at least up until this point I still needed to have my layers trimmed to clean up old damage from coloring.

lapushka
November 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
If you cut it now to make it more one length, you'll be stuck in this awkward stage for a lot longer.

When I grew out from a pixie many years ago, I grew to a bob first, slowly getting rid of more and more layers, because it was just such an awkward stage (I had such a mullet). It was shorter for much longer because of it, and I ended up getting the layers put back in at a longer length. :rolleyes: I would grow to a bob again first, though, if I should ever end up with a pixie again. Somehow, it makes you cope with the awkward stage a lot better.

GoddesJourney
November 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Since it wouldn't hurt to do a mini-trim now and then, just save the layers for that. By the time you get to your goal, you will still have layers but not as much. Let the bangs grow for awhile and then just see how you feel about them. You can always cut them back, but they're really awful to decide to grow out when there's already a large difference between their length and then length of the rest of your hair. That's just how I feel about it.

Mutinous
November 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I have done the same pretty much. I was a bit longer than yours in the back, but I've chopped most of my layers outs now, and just need another trim before I am all evened out. My reasoning is that heavily layered hair never feels very long, even if the longest strands are passing your collarbone.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

share801
November 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I would say keep layers until you have more length. I will never get bangs again now that I finally grew them, but I did grow back out first and bangs later. Seemed easier that way somehow.

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
If I were you, I would let them grow out. I like the look of long, flowing hair, without the lines of the hair being interupted by bangs. however, I did not always feel this way and wore bangs for many years myself. I have simply evolved to a non-bang wearer because, to me, it seems more "natural" somehow. Long lines of silken beauty.

Here are some pics of me from January 2008, they were taken when I joined LHC. Growing out bangs is painful. You will have to use clips and headbands and you will feel unkept sometimes. But in no time you will have those bangs tucked behind your ear. Then you will have them gathered into a ponytail! Hallelulia!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/feralnaturefarm/Hair/HairDiane52_Jan08012.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/feralnaturefarm/Hair/HairDiane52_Jan08022.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/feralnaturefarm/Hair/DianesHairafterHoneyTreatment1010.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/feralnaturefarm/Hair/DianesHairafterFeyesTrim084-1.jpg

Gosh, these pics are huge!

tigerlily38
November 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
If you choose to grow them out, I have found that headbands worked best for me.

spidermom
November 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Learning to do a lace braid is really good for growing-out bangs. There are tutorials out there somewhere.

As I was growing out my hair, I had teeny-tiny trims on a regular basis, like every 6-8 weeks. It helped me to feel good about how my hair looked, and yes - my hair still got longer.

HairFaerie
November 19th, 2010, 01:38 PM
If I were you, I would let them grow out. I like the look of long, flowing hair, without the lines of the hair being interupted my bangs. however, I did not always feel this way and wore bangs for many years myself. I have simply evolved to a non-bang wearer because, to me, it seems more "natural" somehow. Long lines of silken beauty.

Here are some pics of me from January 2008, they were taken when I joined LHC. Growing out bangs is painful. You will have to use clips and headbands and you will feel unkept sometimes. But in no time you will have those bangs tucked behind your ear. Then you will have them gathered into a ponytail! Hallelulia!

Gosh, these pics are huge!

Oh, wow! What a difference! I do like the long, flowing look a lot!

It was good for me to get some suggestions before I make a rash decision that I might regret!

Thank you everyone for your input. :)

Coan-Teen
November 19th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I always flirt with the idea of having bangs but in the end I know I would hate growing them out way more than I would like having them. That's just my opinion. My hair does have layers but none shorter than chin length (for reference I am close to true shoulder length now ::squee:: ).

feralnature
November 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
HairFairie I looked at your hair album and your hair is very sleek, shiny and healthy! If you can just get through the terribly awkward stage of growing out your layers, your hair would be quite striking :)

HairFaerie
November 19th, 2010, 01:50 PM
HairFairie I looked at your hair album and your hair is very sleek, shiny and healthy! If you can just get through the terribly awkward stage of growing out your layers, your hair would be quite striking :)

Thank you for your kind words!

Unfortunately, getting through this awkward point right now is the hardest! Once it's past my shoulders, it might not be so frustrating. I guess I just have to keep that "big picture" in mind and just leave it alone and let it grow!