PDA

View Full Version : Natural hair color change?

Mairéad
November 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM
So, question. Has your natural hair color changed during your life? Besides going gray that is.

When I was young my hair was red and it remained so until I was about 18. After that it started losing its redness and went quite brown. It's not that dark, maybe a mousy brown with some red tones.

For the past two years I hennaed my hair unable to accept that it had turned brown, but I recently dyed it brown (but too dark, dang!) and have decided to just let it grow whatever color is going to pop out.

jackiesjottings
November 19th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Mine has, quite a lot. I was really red when I was born and have been auburn for a long time, but really these days I am more strawberry blonde with red in it, plus a fair bit of silver now (my fringe will soon be all silver!)

firefly42
November 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM
my hair was extremely blonde until i was a teenager, then it started to turn brown. it's probably all brown now but I've been dying it for the last three years so i don't know what color it is for sure :)

Mairéad
November 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM
@ Jackiesjottings-I have a feeling natural redheads change quite a lot then.

@ firefly- Yeah, hair dye made me oblivious to my color change too!

Valdeon
November 19th, 2010, 08:16 AM
That is an interesting question!
When I was a little kid, I had fairly dark hair with red undertones to it, which by the age of 7 evolved into light golden blond :shocked:. Then it started to darken to a medium ashy blond. But after I hennaed and then decided to grow out my ashy blond color , it just wasn't there! Instead I got a medium golden blond with a lot of pink undertones to it.
So it's been like a roller-coaster :waltz:

spiritseeker
November 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Yes, for sure.

Birth to 2 years old - strawberry blond
3 to about 10 years old - very light blonde, almost white
gradually darkened to light ash brown/dark blonde over the years since puberty

Topaz
November 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
My hair did the typical blonde thing --- I started off with classic pale baby blonde hair in childhood, in my teens and 20's it was a lovely golden blonde, went honey blonde in my 30's, starting getting darker roots in my 40's, and now at 53 the darker top is giving way to silvers which don't really look silver yet, it just lightens up the darker top so it actually blends better with the length. Blondes always get darker as they get older --- but at least now I have classic spun-silver or white hair to look forward to! :cheese:

aenflex
November 19th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Nope....I have pics from when I was 3 and 4 years old and it's the same chestnut brown colour as it is now, (underneath the henna and everything else) :)

Eireann
November 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM
My hair was much redder when I was a child. Then it was dark brown most of my adult life. Now it would be salt and pepper if I didn't color it.

Armelle
November 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Strawberry blonde to "dishwater" blonde to a darker honey color. The last is very recent and rather startling to me!

kitschy
November 19th, 2010, 09:07 AM
My hair did the typical blonde thing --- I started off with classic pale baby blonde hair in childhood, in my teens and 20's it was a lovely golden blonde, went honey blonde in my 30's, starting getting darker roots in my 40's, and now at 53 the darker top is giving way to silvers which don't really look silver yet, it just lightens up the darker top so it actually blends better with the length. Blondes always get darker as they get older --- but at least now I have classic spun-silver or white hair to look forward to! :cheese:

My story is very similar except that by my 40's I was actually light brown, now I'm a crazy blend of brown, blond and silver. Getting lighter every day.

Valdeon
November 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Strawberry blonde to "dishwater" blonde to a darker honey color. The last is very recent and rather startling to me!

It does look good on you!

Coan-Teen
November 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
My hair was literally white when I was born, evolving into a golden blonde when I was a teenager and is now a middle-ground color between dark blonde, light brown, and strawberry blonde.

It's really interesting to see what everyone else has had.

tinygirl
November 19th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Nope, my hair has always been a darkish brown. Those this auburness is a fairly recent thing, but that's only in certain lights.
I quite like my colour, but would love to have either DARK dark brown hair, or a kind of golden honey darkish blonde (the latter of which would look horrendous on me, but my HAIR would be pretty).

Dyefree
November 19th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Well as a very young child I had caramel light brown hair, which later changed to a warm medium brown, but now my hair is coming in jet black dotted with a few white hairs ( I wonder when that happened? :confused:)

Tia2010
November 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I had reddish blond hair from a baby into my teens. Hated it .. but no matter what color I tried to dye it as a teen you could always see my stubborn red undertones. ( unless it was bleached beyond all recognition , which thankfully was only once! )

As I got older the red just got darker and more stubborn ! :rolleyes: No matter what dark color I dye it, my red refuses to be hidden.... so it would seem my red isn't going anywhere , at least until these little gray hairs that are just starting to pop in every once in a while take them over :rolleyes:

eicamawa
November 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
when I was little, my hair was almost white. As I grew older, it has become darker and darker, from light blonde, now to blonde, and the hair that usually doesn't get much sunshine because it's under all the rest of my hair is almost dark blonde... no more white for me

chelseamichelle
November 19th, 2010, 10:30 AM
My hair has always been very dark brown, but recently it has lightened to a medium brown. I'm quite sad about this because I much prefer the darker colour on me.

GlennaGirl
November 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yes. Like, I suspect, a good many "born blondes," my golden strands turned slightly darker each year of my childhood until, at around high school age, my hair was a very light brown. :)

xoxophelia
November 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Yup blonde to darker.

Unnamed
November 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Erm, yeah, a bit weird here, although it boils down to the typical lighter blonde to dark blonde...but with a rather dark detour on the way (or after getting there, depending on how you look at it...).

Light ashy blonde until about 2-3. Darkened to a medium-dark ashy blonde around 4-6 (which would lighten to a light-medium gold shade with sun exposure) which at 7 was more just dark ashy blonde. Then around 8 it *really* darkened and turned ashy dark brown/off black! Then around 10 it started to lighten again and ended up with auburn highlights on med-dark brown from some sun exposure (last time I had sun highlights). It then went to a very ashy medium brown, to light brown, to where by about 13 is was back to the dark blonde it was when I was 7 or so (then was actually typed to dark 'beige' blonde which I'm assuming is maybe 'neutral' or 'violet' or 'lilac' undertones?) but with lighter streaks at my temples. At that point *dyed* it. :oops:

Still dark ashy (neutral? I don't think it's a true ash) blonde now in my late 20s, although I now also have a light streak at my nape in addition to those at my temples. It would be lighter and probably more of a golden or strawberry-ish tone (I'm guessing--not sure!) if I got a normal amount of sun exposure, though...so hard to tell what colour it really is.

YesitsReal
November 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I've always had blonde hair, but as I get older it darkens bit by bit. Right now it's a medium ashy-butterscotch blonde (with a henna gloss over it, which makes it a tad more golden).

I look in the mirror and say, "Go back! Go back!" I miss my lighter color... :p

lordofthespoons
November 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM
bourn with black hair, had white blonde hair untill i was 4, then i had jet almost blueblack hair, which turned ash blonde and is now chocolate brown :)

Blueneko
November 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I was born with very dark hair that turned to light brown. Currently I seem to be going dark again.

bubblyredhead
November 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I was born with light blond hair with a red under tone it turned to strawberry blond with more red and then back to blond and in recent years has turned to red with blond streaks

tigerlily38
November 19th, 2010, 01:34 PM
mine was a light blonde when I was a child, then it became a light brown later in life

Tatybird
November 19th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I was light blonde as a child. At the age of 14 my hair became darker. Now at the age of 28 it's light ash brown. And, actually, color now depends on the light - if I'm outside and it's sunny my hair is dark blond, kinda gold; opposed to when I'm inside and it's light or medium brown.

HoneyJubilee
November 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I was born with red "peach fuzz" on my head, then it grew into white blonde hair, and just in the last couple of years it's darkened a bit to a more golden blonde with some slightly reddish highlights.

Octave
November 19th, 2010, 02:52 PM
When I was born I had black hair that stood in all directions...my mum said that I looked Asian. :D
When I was around 3 my hair got golden blond during the summer
After that it got darker and darker. Now it's sort of medium brown I guess as it changes color constantly and it depends on the lightning as well. Every single strand of hair I have on my head is different, various colors and texture.

Vipera Berus
November 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM
As a child my hair was platinum blonde. When I got a bit older it darkened to what I thought as dark blonde and I started dyeing it. At 16 I started to grow out the dye and discovered that my hair is actually golden blonde.

<3OnHerSleeve
November 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I had sunny golden blonde hair till I was six... then my hair darkened during the next couple of years and I was a very literal gray-ash colour which I suppose translates to a dark ashe blonde although I've never found a dye that was as dark as it. The problem is its not brown, it's not black but its so dark you wouldn't guess it was blonde... unless its summer and my hair is in the sun and then it appears dark golden blonde once again... I miss my blonde locks

svehex
November 19th, 2010, 03:29 PM
When I was born, my hair was almost black
When I was two, I was blonde
When I was three I was a brunette
When I grew up it turned ot mousy brown

http://heksebua.com/en/whois/me-through-the-years.html

svehex
November 19th, 2010, 03:31 PM
When I was born my hair was almost black
When I was 2 I was blondew
When I was 3 I was a brunette
As I grew up, I was mousy brown

http://heksebua.com/en/whois/me-through-the-years.html

Laurenness
November 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
When I was a baby and toddler, it was a very dark brown-almost black, except it had the warmth of brown that black doesn't have. As I got older it got slightly lighter through elementary school. Around 4th grade when I permed it(only once though) it took on major red tones in the sun. It was really pretty, actually. Now it's a basic brown, with some warm red tones to it in the sun, usually in the summer/fall. It looks pretty nice, although it does seem to be getting darker. (It goes back and forth from dark to light.)

jaine
November 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I think mine has gotten darker ...other people have started to call it black. still looks brown to me though. I'll probably end up just like my mom, who definitely has black hair but she thinks it's brown.

Milui Elenath
November 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
My hair colour has changed naturally over the years many times. I also wondered if it had happened to others and asked here. There were suprisingly a lot of people.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51202

just_ace
November 21st, 2010, 01:09 AM
My hair was light blonde when I was younger up to about 12 years of age, which is when I started playing around with various rinses and dyes, and now ten years later I am finally embracing the dark ash blonde it has turned into.

Heartwillfollow
November 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM
white blonde till around 5yrs, then started to turn orange and then bright orange, then darker red about 6 grade to a deep aurburn, late 20's maybe early 30's started to get light going strawberry blonde by my 40's then greying...:)

Sooze
November 21st, 2010, 02:29 AM
Another redhead here who changed gradually.

When I was young, I had bright "Irish red" hair, which then went a deeper auburn into my teens and early twenties. By the time I reached my late twenties my hair was growing in much darker brown at the roots and I began colouring it red. This year I took the plunge and hennaed and I love being closer to my natural colour again.

My sister also started life with red hair, which gradually grew lighter and lighter in colour through her twenties and thirties until now she's very pale natural blonde.

The only thing I find difficult now is root touch ups with henna - I prefer to do it when my hair is damp, but then the colour all looks the same, and I seem to miss bits, which I then have to try and catch next time round.

Ludde
November 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Very blond in childhood, changed to darkest brown from the age of six to seven, then variably have been goldenbrown, redbrown and since the last year the darkbrown reappears but with a lot of grey and white in it. The change is as sharp and fast as when I was a child, some believe I am growing out coloured hair but it is all my own.

Hiriel
November 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM
My hair was platinum blonde when I was around two. By the time I started school it was medium brown, and it got darker until puberty, it was a quite dark brown then, and has lightened slowly since. It's now a slightly golden medium brown, with a bit of red in it - no one knows where that came from.

Alix
November 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Rich brown to a mousy ish brown.

mali
November 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM
light-medium blonde=.medium-dark blonde now.

Anje
November 25th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Mine's doing that same red that's slowing darkening and going brown. (Well, it was always auburn, never flaming orange-red.) It's still more red than most hair, but it's not as red as it was when I was 20 or so. I've gone to henna, but I think the comparison of natural vs. hennaed hair makes me perceive it as even browner than it is.

spidermom
November 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Oh yes. It was nearly white as a toddler, light sunny blonde through my childhood and most of my teens, then gradually darkened to gold; golden brown in some lights, golden blonde in other lights. And now it's becoming very light again. Maybe I'll end up with the same color I had as a toddler, full circle.

luxepiggy
November 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I had soft black hair when I was young, which gradually became dark brown, then developed some medium brown highlights which are now red-toned highlights. Under the sun it all looks very . . . interesting . . . I have a difficult time convincing people it's not been coloured (^(oo)^)

KellyC
November 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah,
I was born with black hair. At 1 I had red, 2 it turned to platinum blond, and around 10 it turned ash/ golden blond.

ingvild
November 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
My hair has just darkened. When I was a child it was a lovely golden brown, especially in the summer. Now it's a mousy brown that can look golden in the sun, but grey in the "right" (or wrong) lighting.

klcqtee
November 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
My hair used to be golden brown, but now it's entirely ashy.

PartyPickle
November 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Had white blonde hair that was very very wispy (seriously, I had more bald than hair...there were nicknames) and short until I was 6 or 7. Then it grew in like the wind and I had a very full head of long golden blonde hair. As with (it appears) most blondes its continued to darken over time. My husband calls it bronde. People have assumed that I put all the highlights in. Its funny to me how nowadays people can be confused about what natural hair can look like and assume something complex looking means chemical intervention. The variety of colours in my natural hair is the thing I miss the most whenever I dye it. Grow out hendigo!

Lianna
November 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I was born with golden blonde hair, that turned platinum until I was four, then it turned strawberry blonde, than back to golden blonde, than neutral dark blonde, and finally dark ashy blonde.

It's dyed now.

Freyariane
April 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
The DAY I was born, I already had had hair. And they were exactly the SAME as my dad : Dark brown. They after some moth, evolved into a ash brow. I've been like this until the age of 6/7, then I step by step it turned NATURALLY blonde like my mother !!! I never had light blond hair, but it was dark golden and golden at the ends ^^
Then, after puberty (12) it turned slowly to a dark-blond with some golden highlight in summer time.

ashke50
April 20th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Same as most of the blondes here. Started out practically white, getting darker as time goes on. At the kinda blonde/brown border now.

racrane
April 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM
My hair was platinum blond as a child, grew to a honey color in high school with tinges of strawberry blond (bizarre) and is slooowly darkening to a dishwater blond. I don't mind, because I think it's pretty when people embrace their natural hair color. But yes, my natural color changed a lot without dyes.

NotInPortland
April 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
My hair was a dark brown from when I was a baby and a toddler, it gradually lightened as I got older to the lightish moussy brown it is today with golden undertones I suppose you could say, I think it's been this color since I was 6 or 7. The only other time it changes colour is in the summer if I'm in the sun a lot it will lighten up.

agoddess2die4
April 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
My hair hasn't changed much, it seems a little darker with a slightly redder tone, but it's always been a dark brown. Though some of that might have to do with the fact that I had waist-length hair as a child and spent all my time in the sun it would get a little bleached out. The roots would be relatively dark but by the time it got to my waist some of it was almost blond. I don't know why it's gotten redder, but I'm not complaining.

My boyfriend though was born white blond and was blond most of his childhood, then dirty blond in middle school and high school and now it's dark brown. We met when we were 19 and we're 25 now and I swear it's gotten darker since I met him!

Miss Catrina
April 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I was pretty blond when I was really little, then it got darker and darker to brunette until I was about 13... then it started lightening up.

...And now it's getting darker again.

Anywhere
April 20th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I was golden blonde until I hit puberty.

I know someone who was platinum blonde as a child and is still platinum blonde today. I find it quite a unique natural color in my area.

C.H.
July 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM
My aunt often remarks how struck she was by the "blue-black" very full head of hair I was born with. I often wonder if she is exaggerating (is anyone's hair really that color naturally?) as my hair has decidedly warm/reddish tones now.

SC
July 9th, 2011, 05:43 AM
My mum was almost platinum blonde, but at some time when she hit 20s her hair got brown, not dark brown, but something like from 11/10 to 6/7. I'm a bit afraid of my hair if the same happens, my little sister has brown hair (always had) and my brothers are blonde.

boomtownrat
July 9th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I was born with curly red hair that turned dirty blonde by the time I was somewhere between three and four. By the time I was nine it was darkening into a mousy brown and by the time I was in high school it was auburn. At 14 I found my first white hair. In my late teens and 20s I usually dyed my hair, so I'm not sure if it changed colour again apart from the early silverizing. :)

kaned_ferret
July 9th, 2011, 08:09 AM
yep natural redhead that was really intense orange-red as a child, then from 12-26 I dyed it constantly so never really saw it, and now it grows a lot paler, but still ginger. But I henna over it to keep a nice bright rich red :)

AngelAblaze
August 10th, 2011, 05:55 AM
I've got some questions
1) what y'alls hair changes does the change go from root to tip or does it just start growing, at the roots, the new color?
2) when your hair lightens during the summer does it get dark again in the winter? I'm talking about the length as well as the roots

As a baby I was a platinum blond that very quickly got darker by age 8 it was so dark it looked black. I don't remember how old I was but my dad wanted me to lighten my hair so I did for several years. He finally let me grow out my natural color, whick is a dark brown, and I had all of the blond lightened hair cut off which took my length from waist to shoulder. That was this past January and I'm now BSl :) anyway despite me wearing hats/ bandanas my hair has gotten lighter it is now a auburn-brunette color BUT my roots are very dark like the amost black I had when I was 8. I really love my hair dark. Wow sorry it's so long lol TIA :D

Rosetta
August 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I was light/medium blonde as a child, which then changed to dark blonde at around age 12-13. (Not that I've seen much of it though as I was dyeing it some way or another since age 15, but now I'm growing out my natural dark blonde :))

AngelAblaze, as far as I know it's always just the roots that change colour and it grows from there on, at least for me it's always been like that (I also get sun highlights in the summer and they stay, if I don't dye my hair that is :))

Vlientje
August 10th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I was born with very dark black hair. While being a kid it was quite light blonde. And now it's ashy-blonde.

sun-kissed
August 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I was super-light blonde as a child and early teen, but slowly it is getting to be more of a dirty-honey-blonde as I get older. During the summer my outer hair bleaches lighter from constant swimming and the sun, resulting in darker lowlights.

Chetanlaiho
August 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yup, definitely. When I was really young my hair was light blonde, now it's kind of blah brown-ish >_< (though my mother still calls it dark blonde, I disagree).

I dyed it dark brown last November with a demi-permanent that was supposed to wash out butd my hair is still darker than it used to be. Though the roots are now appearing quite light? (even though I never had a 'roots' line).

Edit: I also just found my first grey/white hair a week ago, but it was more 'clear' than grey or silver :/ it was definitely coarser than the rest of my hair though.

CaityBear
August 10th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I was platnium blonde up until I was ten...now it's what I like to call "dirty dishwater" blonde...I don't like it so I henna. But soon enough I will go back to blonde and try to love my natural hair colour.........

Mairéad
August 10th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Heh, it was quite a while ago I started this thread. In the original post I said my hair had gone mousy brown. After nearly a year of growing I can say it's certainly a mid tone blonde now. I think my hair is super prone to color change. Ah, well. I'm doing henna today. Copper hair for me! :D

Eirelin
August 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Mine has, quite a lot. I was really red when I was born and have been auburn for a long time, but really these days I am more strawberry blonde with red in it, plus a fair bit of silver now (my fringe will soon be all silver!)

Another redhead here who changed gradually.

When I was young, I had bright "Irish red" hair, which then went a deeper auburn into my teens and early twenties. By the time I reached my late twenties my hair was growing in much darker brown at the roots and I began colouring it red. This year I took the plunge and hennaed and I love being closer to my natural colour again.

My sister also started life with red hair, which gradually grew lighter and lighter in colour through her twenties and thirties until now she's very pale natural blonde.

The only thing I find difficult now is root touch ups with henna - I prefer to do it when my hair is damp, but then the colour all looks the same, and I seem to miss bits, which I then have to try and catch next time round.

Mine has done similar things. Very, very red as a baby and young child, then gradually got paler over the years (although I did spend enough time outside that the sun probably added to the lightening process), until I was a strawberry-blonde canopy and sort-of dishwater blonde/light auburn mix underneath. It stayed that way for quite a while, then got redder again, then lighter again, redder again, and lighter again, and then the silver hairs started coming when I was 27 (and the temples are now either white or very light blonde). Now, I really don't know what color I would call it without the henna. In the before-henna pictures, sometimes it looks red, but at other times it's kind of blondish with only a hint of auburn, lighter on top, and darker underneath.

Interestingly enough, I first hennaed in the middle of May and by now, 3 months later, I have done the roots once and really only noticed a difference around the temples (the areas that seem to have become white/pale blonde).

Weird.

At least there is still enough red for me to be called a natural redhead, but I sure do miss the Rita Hayworth color I had when I was little!

lizdini
August 10th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I had honey blonde hair as a child. It darkened around 11, but would get light in the summer (and not go back to dark, so I looked like I was growing out bleach all winter). Now it's a medium brown with gold and red (and a very few silver!) highlights.

As far as redheads go, yes they seem prone to changing. My sister in law was orange red as a kid and now is strawberry blond. Their brother was orange as well, and now is a very deep dark red. Both them and my husband are prematurely graying. Not sure if that's a red thing or something else in their genes.

Lady Malys
August 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM
My hair was golden blonde as a child but started to get darker when I hit about age 9 ... it is now a naturally mousy brown ... so I have colored it for many years ... but I am trying to take better care of my hair and will henna next weekend (keeping my fingers crossed that I like the results).

Browniegirl
August 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM
When I was born I had jet black hair.It soon fell out, for whatever reason, and grew in curly and a golden/strawberry blond color. It has darkened now to a dark brown, with quite a bit of red. [
Now it's sort of medium brown I guess as it changes color constantly and it depends on the lightning as well. Every single strand of hair I have on my head is different, various colors and texture.

Octave, this is true for me as well. I have some black hairs, coarse, and some near transparent blondy red ones.

Browniegirl
August 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM
C:\Users\Jill\Pictures\2011-04-02 Extras\Extras 048.jpg

Well, It is a bit shorter now than it is now. I'm four inches to waist, but you can see the red,compared to avatar. Sorry for the double post everybody!

Jeno86
August 10th, 2011, 07:01 PM
When I was born my parents said I had black hair. It changed to a light brown almost blond. As I became a teen, it started to darken to a medium to dark brown. My hair is still in that range but it seems to have picked up some strands of blond, or that could just be the oil treatments and ACV bringing those lovely strands out.

Ligeia_13
August 12th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Not all that much. For the first two hair years of my life it was jet black and then slowly went dark brown. And stayed that way :p

Charybdis
August 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Light golden hair as an infant, which was a golden honey blonde (fine to medium texture and wurly) until it turned brown around age 5 (mostly medium texture, wavy). It gradually darkened up until age 8 or 9, at which point it was pretty much my mature color (dark brown with slight red highlights, lighter brown right around the face). The reddish tones in my hair largely faded out by my late twenties. My natural color is really a little too dark to be ideal with my skin; it looks great dyed auburn, but I've gone off the dye for purposes of growing back out. It does seem like it's lightening a bit now that I'm in my late 30s, though, probably due to "grays" growing in. I have a bunch of different colors among my hairs; most are medium texture and dark brown wavy, but small numbers are fine and dark blonde or a reddish light brown (these are usually curlier), and small numbers are coarser and almost black (these are usually straighter).

When one of my "gray" hairs grows in ("grays" in quotes because they're not gray), it slowly changes color from brown through blonde and eventually to bright white or translucent. I've actually found a shed hair showing the complete gradual color change, which is quite odd to see. Also, my hair curliness shifts around over time. It got straighter around puberty and through my teens (1c / 2a) and then got curlier in my twenties (2a/2b). Right now it seems to be going through a marginally less wurly/frizzy phase than a few years ago.

racrane
August 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Like many others, I was white blond as a kid but now I'm a golden blonde with strawberry red highlights. I like it a lot. Only 20 so I haven't changed color too much. :)

katsrevenge
August 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I was born white blonde. Then it slowly went ashy light brown when I was very small and got darker all the way to a dark ash when I was around 25. Then, it started to mouse out, getting a bit lighter. Now, I've also had silver hairs since I was 12 so I've been dying it hard core for years.

Anymore, I hate my natural color. Makes me feel way too old.

RockyChristine
August 12th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I'm sad about my hair color change. Until I was about five, I had absolutely jet-black hair, and it's lightened to milk-chocolate brown by now (I'm 20). I'm disappointed enough that I've started dying my hair black, and it looks like it could be my natural color. Though if you throw me out in the sun long enough, my hair turns a gorgeous dark auburn.

Merewen
August 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM
My hair just went from light blonde to dark blonde. My mom, however, went from the same light blonde I had to dark brown as a teen to now pretty much pitch black. I was always told as a kid that my hair would probably darken like hers. Turns out I'm just the odd blonde one in the family.

McFearless
August 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Mine hasn't sadly. Jet black my whole life. I did notice watching Harry Potter, that the Weasley's all have different colours now compared to a few films back. Ron is getting lighter and lighter, while his twin brothers now have brownish hair.

luthein
August 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM
My hair is getting darker blonde, too. As a child, I was light blonde that went platinum in the sun.

neko_kawaii
August 12th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I was born with black hair which fell out and grew in blond and slowly darkened to a dark brown with red tones by the time I finished high school. My mom is a red head and has always said that someday her hair will turn brown. She is in her 50s and it hasn't darkened yet. (She once met Bonnie Raitt and one of Bonnie's best friends and she said that she couldn't remember ever being in a room with three red heads and only one of them was natural.)

TheCaityCat
August 12th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Mine was orange-red when I was born, then went blonde when I was eight months old. It began growing in much thicker and more dark blonde when I was a year old and the color hasn't changed all that much since then. It's a little bit darker but still has the same faint red tones in the right lighting (despite being ash blonde).

SoulOfTheSea
August 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM
When I was a young child, my hair was very light brown, more of a gold. I lived by the beach, and I spent a lot of time in the sun, so maybe that is why it was so light. However, it has gotten darker, but it has still retained its goldenness, which I am happy about. :D This summer I have spent a lot more time in the sun, so thus, my hair has gotten lighter. :flower:

RitaPG
August 12th, 2011, 08:05 PM
When I was a kid I was blonde, with curls :thud:
After hitting puberty my hair turned into a really dark brown color.
Now that I'm growing out natural and stopped using chemical dyes, my hair is revealing a rich brown that reflects a lot of light; it looks dark indoors but very light brown under the sun.

SoulOfTheSea
August 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Now that I'm growing out natural and stopped using chemical dyes, my hair is revealing a rich brown that reflects a lot of light; it looks dark indoors but very light brown under the sun.

Sounds like my father. As a kid, and even through High School, he had blonde, straight hair. Then, as he turned into a young adult, his hair turned wavy and dark brown. Funny how genes mess with us. o_O

Qwackie
August 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM
My hair was a medium brown when I was seven or eight (which may or may not have been from damage.) Now it's a dark-ish black-ish color, though it's hard to tell whether is black or brown.

RitaPG
August 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I forgot to add, my twin brother has had dark brown hair all his life. How's that for contrast?
Maybe that explains my fondness for changing hair color, and his indifference for it :p