PDA

View Full Version : How to protect hair when in the kitchen?

Dreamkitty
November 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM
In my house, my mum always cooks fresh food everyday. So we rarely have ready made meals, she spends alot of time in the kitchen and sometimes I help her.

When we are cooking there is alot of steam in the air, how can I protect my hair from the steam and heat?

Also a few times I was having dinner with my family and there was one of my longer hair strands hiding dad's food, he didn't know it was there only when the food was put into his mouth and he started coughing and took out the hair strand. Not a nice sight!. He was annoyed. I would be even more embarassed if this happens to a guest visting our house.

I felt bad, how can I protect my hair from heat as well as getting into the food, I want to do something about?:o

Dragon
November 19th, 2010, 04:39 AM
All I can suggest is a bun with a bandana over it.

Avital88
November 19th, 2010, 04:45 AM
i usually put on a plastic cap, also to avoid food smell in my hair :)

Dreamkitty
November 19th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Good ideas! I have a few spare cloth pieces lying around at my home, maybe my mum can make a bandana for me (she is good at sewing).

I might also look into buying a plastic cap!:) no hair will get into the food that way. Does the plastic cap also protect from heat?

cindy58
November 19th, 2010, 05:40 AM
99.99% of my time in the kitchen mine is in a bun. I definitely don't want it in the food and I want it out of my way. A bandana is an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Even braids aren't that successful in the kitchen, they fall forward when I bend. So if I was wearing a braid and trying to load the dishwasher, etc., I tuck the braid in my shirt to keep it out of the way.

enfys
November 19th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I've never worried about my hair with steam or smells; if I'm concerned about condensation ruining the window seal I open the window a crack. One day I'll have an extractor...

I never ever ever ever prepare food without my hair tied back in a bun. My hair is never in anyone's food and never creates a safety issue by catching on anything.

GRU
November 19th, 2010, 06:34 AM
IMO, if it's not burning your skin, the heat/steam isn't going to damage your hair. The higher humidity might make hair curl/frizz (for curly/wurly types) or fall flatter than flat (for straight/fine types), but it's not going to actually harm your hair.

As for keeping hair out of the food, a bun and/or a hairnet are your best bets.

sherigayle
November 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I never prepare food without my hair up. I'm terrified of setting it on fire on the stove! Plus, it's just so much cleaner to have it out of the way and not be touching it when you're touching food too.

Anje
November 19th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't worry about the steam. If your skin isn't getting burned, your hair should survive pretty well.

I'll echo what everyone else says, though: Bun your hair. That'll keep it out of the food, and braids end up on burners and shut in oven doors. That goes double if you're cooking for anyone who isn't a family member.

Dreamkitty
November 19th, 2010, 11:19 AM
:) Thanks everyone for the tips! I usually have my hair braided but that doesn't help because not all of my hair is part of the braid so smaller hairs can fall into the food as well. Once I had my hair out and my mum was angry because she found some hairs on the kitchen floor etc.

I will put my hair in a bun! and I think keeping the braid underneath my shirt is also a clever idea.

sibiryachka
November 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Mine's usually in a braid or bun anyway, but they don't contain the shorter halo hairs, and they're the ones that end up falling in my face or potentially into the food. If I'm doing anything at all serious, I'm wearing a bandana.

Tia2010
November 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I cook alot and since and I have not learned how to do a bun ( yet ;)) my hair is usually just all pulled back and clipped up but I sometimes wear a bandana if I know I'm going to be cooking for a big part of the day.

brunette
November 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
My family has found hair in their food even when my hair has been bunned all day, we are never sure whose hair it is as often it's not a long one (I'm the only longhair) but I sometimes suspect it attaches to my clothing when I put it up at some point during the morning.
I echo what everyone says, and I love the idea of using a bandana when cooking! If I cook a cake for a gift for someone else I get terribly paranoid about leaving hairs in the food that I go to another room, brush myself down and put a hairnet over my hair and bun!

sibiryachka
November 19th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I just made a sandwich... and found a full-length shed hair in it! Of course I wasn't wearing a scarf, just to make myself lunch, but my snug ponytail clearly wasn't adequate. Thank you for the reminder, Universe. :p

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Braid, then bun. I had some of mine burn yesterday. :O