PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With Thick Hair

Dragon
November 19th, 2010, 04:08 AM
What's wrong with thick hair? I don't under stand why hairdressers are always wanting to layer thick hair to make it look thinner. I do think layers look great when done properly but I also think thick hair looks great as well. Even when you don’t ask for layers, some of them seem to add them anyway.

maria_asa
November 19th, 2010, 04:13 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with thick hair, I wish I had it. Hairdressers also want to layer thin hair to make it thicker so I don't think it's the thickness that's the problem.
I guess layers need more upkeep than a straight across trim (just what I think, I don't have layers myself so please correct me if I'm wrong) which means that you have to go to the hairdresser more often which in turn means they make more money.

aada
November 19th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Often hairdressers thin out thick hair so that it's easier to manage, not necessarily so that is appears thinner. Some people don't learn to care for their true thickness, and thus the thinning and layers allows them to just do whatever style AND to be able to more closely imitate the styles they see in magazines/other media.

Dreamkitty
November 19th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I agree with aada.

My sisters friend, has medium thick hair, my sister said her friends hair doesn't even look that thick but still her friend is paranoid her hair is "too thick" and wants to go to the hair dresser to have her hair thinned. My sister was like "Your hair fine the way it is, thick is beautiful. Why go to thin it?"

mrs_coffee
November 19th, 2010, 05:40 AM
It can be difficult to manage, but probably not so much once it's longer. I've never had a haircut that didn't include thinning. I have my own thinning shears that I used once every couple of months when I was keeping my hair short.

Now that I'm growing it out and not thinning it, it's driving me crazy because it's so thick and bushy looking at its current length, but I'm not thinning it.

jaine
November 19th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I don't think they're trying to make it "look thin" - they're trying to give it a flattering shape.

enfys
November 19th, 2010, 06:10 AM
A shorter lengths, thick hair can give a triangle head if it's blunt.

At longer lengths it can give you headaches because it's heavy and it takes about three years to airdry.

You ii's don't know how lucky you are!

aenflex
November 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Isn't it kind of amazing how layer really can add thickness and dimension to thin, flatter hair, while at the same time they can add shape and decreasve volume for thicker hair? It's just a nifty little thing, I think.
I don't have layers, I much prefer a more blunt hemline for my thin hair.

add- but I iwsh I had thicker than what I've got. I don't think anythings wrong with thick hair :)

UltraBella
November 19th, 2010, 07:54 AM
If I didn't have layers I would hate my hair. When it was shorter it looked awful without layers, like a giant triangular blob. At longer lengths it is completely unmanageable without layering. The layers take some of the weight out of my hair and give it bounce and movement, and they keep me sane. Otherwise I am chopping it to BSL.

missmorbus
November 19th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Layers are very popular today, so honestly, anytime you go get your hair cut they want to put layers in it (no matter what your length/type is). They help to make a flattering shape that compliments your face. When I was in cosmetology school (I'm not a hairstylist anymore), they actually told us that people shouldn't have really long hair. They said that really long hair draws the eye down away from the face and completely overpowers the face. I seem to remember that anything longer than about APL was too long.

Enfys and UltraBella are right, layers help with the weight. I had a friend that couldn't get past about waist length without layers because the weight of her hair gave her terrible headaches.

Personally I like layers in my hair. I'm on the thin side of normal with fine hair, and I feel like it really helps to make my hair look fuller. I agree with you though, long thick hair that is blunt cut is gorgeous.

Carolyn
November 19th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Layers are just a personal choice. If you don't want them, be specific that no layering is to be done when you go for a trim. I always try to be very clear that I don't want any layering and I want a blunt straight across hemline. If I saw that a stylist was picking up my hair to layer it I would tell her to stop and jerk my hair out of her hand. I've had unwanted layers added but I was too spineless to make her stop. There was a moment when I could have but I didn't. Live and learn.

Madora
November 19th, 2010, 08:34 AM
The trouble is, not many people know how to cope with thick hair.

Once it gets to mid back, you can style it different ways BUT you have to section it FIRST. You can diversify your hairstyles in several pretty ways but you can't stick it all in a ponytail and proceed from there! That's too much strain on your hair and very uncomfortable too.

As for drying, the main factor is to let the air get to it! Air drying by "fanning" the hair over and over. It works, costs nothing, and your hair will thank you!

Hair sitting on a towel down your back, or pinned up wet, ain't gonna dry anytime soon!

My hair is still thick..but nothing in comparison with the very thick hair I had when I was 50.

spidermom
November 19th, 2010, 08:42 AM
What's wrong with thick hair? The weight. The heat. The fact that buns twist and sag from their own weight. But I'm not adding layers because my goal length is quite long, and I don't want thin-looking ends too soon.

What's good about it? My hair is extra-long now and hasn't become see-through yet except in one area on my left..

Valdeon
November 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
A shorter lengths, thick hair can give a triangle head if it's blunt.

At longer lengths it can give you headaches because it's heavy and it takes about three years to airdry.

You ii's don't know how lucky you are!
I second every word!

Armelle
November 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM
My whole life I've heard hairdressers say I need layer to "decrease the bulk". *shrugs* With layers, I have pyramid hair...without them, guess what, pyramid hair. When doing braids and other updos, it's a right pain to work with all those different layers. So I don't have any. Unlike some other commenters, I've not noticed that my hair is heavy. (Ok, that's not entirely accurate. I don't notice any problems when my hair is long 'cause I've gotten used to it. Some years back I went from waist to shoulders and felt like a damn bobble-head from the weight difference! :D) It takes FOREVER to dry no matter the length or layers.

I think perhaps layers are suggested more often for those with wavy and curly hair to "decrease bulk." Those fortunate to have straight hair just look awesome without any layers. :D

Irnann
November 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Once it gets to mid back, you can style it different ways BUT you have to section it FIRST. You can diversify your hairstyles in several pretty ways but you can't stick it all in a ponytail and proceed from there! That's too much strain on your hair and very uncomfortable too.

As for drying, the main factor is to let the air get to it! Air drying by "fanning" the hair over and over. It works, costs nothing, and your hair will thank you!

Hair sitting on a towel down your back, or pinned up wet, ain't gonna dry anytime soon!

My hair is still thick..but nothing in comparison with the very thick hair I had when I was 50.

Great advises for me, thank you! I always in trouble with updos when i try them from one section- to seperate the strands before sounds very logical to me.
Stupid me, why i didn't try that before??

AnnaJamila
November 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I wish my hair was thicker! my inlaws all have this gorgeous, thick black wavy hair. . . and I don't. But my hair is a lot softer so I don't feel too bad!

Juneii
November 19th, 2010, 09:25 AM
my hair isn't as thick as many others here but the only problem I found with thick hair was the heat although I assume it also has to do with the fact that my hair is dark so it absorbs more heat.

air drying isn't horribly bad, I try to squeeze as much water out of my hair with a towel first, let it dry for a bit, and try to run my fingers through my hair to get as much air between the strands as possible.

ddiana1979
November 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Anybody who has iii hair and wants to get rid of some, let me know. I could use a few more strands ;)

I can understand how drying would be a major issue.

I had a friend in high school with thick curly hair who decided to get a bob, and (please forgive me for saying this, because she was my friend & I still thought she was beautiful) from behind, she looked rather like a toadstool. Her thick hair stuck straight out at the sides.

aenflex
November 19th, 2010, 10:10 AM
What's good about it? My hair is extra-long now and hasn't become see-through yet except in one area on my left..

Sigh. My hair is see-thru right now and it's not even full shoulder :(

ericthegreat
November 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thick hair might be the desired look for those of you who have thin hair, but for those of us who naturally have very thick heads of hair it often becomes very difficult and time consuming to manage.

Thick hair often mean more and bigger knots and tangles, so you have to spend A LOT of time detangling. Especially after washing and conditioning it, you almost always end up with a giant mass of tangled hair that needs to be gently and slowly detangled.

And for people with hair that is both thick and frizzy, heat and humidity during the summer can turn them into Bozo the Clown. Layers allow for a much more pleasing haircut shape, as it take out the excess amount of bulk from their hair.

It also goes without saying that thick hair takes much longer to dry, and that it can get very hot during the summer.

So, for many of us thick haired folks layering and or/thinning out our hair makes it much easier for us to deal with all that hair. I myself haven't had my hair cut in layers in quite a few years, but I in fact still have long layers on my head.............my crown sections and my sides are several inches shorter than the length in the back. And I have side swept bangs.

jenjen10
November 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM

[COLOR=#8b0000]Once it gets to mid back, you can style it different ways BUT you have to section it FIRST.

Could you elaborate on the part about sectioning it first? I have thick hair which I have trouble getting into updos and I am wondering if this could be my problem. I would love to hear what tricks you know! :)