PDA

View Full Version : question about white hairs...

Nenwing
November 18th, 2010, 11:17 PM
For about a year or so now I've been getting more white hairs that pop up, and usually I pluck them out.

One that I plucked out today has a real weird look to it. The strand itself isn't smooth, its almost bumpy, though the strand is a straight strand (not curly or anything). Its almost like the strand is gnarly looking or something. Oh the joys of getting white hairs!

Gabriel
November 19th, 2010, 04:46 AM
You risk damaging your hair when you tweeze/pluck any hair out.

It varies from person to person but it's the same idea behind some folks who tweeze their brows over and over for years and then later on wish they hadn't because their eyebrows are so sparse and never grow back in fully.

The strangeness of the hair could be a few things. White hair often has a different texture than regularly pigmented hair. Often white hair needs more moisture and gentle handling to behave.

If it's a spot you've been tweezing/plucking over and over you may have changed how the hair grows by damaging that root area for that one hair.

Some hair strands can grow strangely, white or regular regardless, every once in a while.

Stop plucking though!

akka naeda
November 19th, 2010, 06:07 AM
For about a year or so now I've been getting more white hairs that pop up, and usually I pluck them out.

One that I plucked out today has a real weird look to it. The strand itself isn't smooth, its almost bumpy, though the strand is a straight strand (not curly or anything). Its almost like the strand is gnarly looking or something. Oh the joys of getting white hairs!

If you examined all your hair you'd find a small number of the non-white hairs the same. Obviously you don't want to pull all your hair out to see, but check any shed hairs. It's nothing to do with the hair being white, believe me.

Gabriel is right about constant plucking causing the hair to thin though, so I'd stop that if I was you, as your hair will thin naturally as you get older and you don't want to be helping it along.

GRU
November 19th, 2010, 06:37 AM
My gray hairs are often more wiry and coarse than my non-grays.

Totally normal from what I've heard.

aenflex
November 19th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Thats how mine are, I think the texture of grey hair is just a bit coarser. Gnarly and bumpy like a branch are exactly how mine are.

Topaz
November 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Mine grow out like curly white corkscrews and then lay down straighter as they get longer.

Lady Mary
November 19th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I used to pluck them too... Now there are too many to pluck :no:

Nenwing
November 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I will do my best then to stop plucking them out! :o

Thanks though for the reassurance! Glad its normal, I was wondering what was up with my hair!

CarpeDM
November 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I used to pull them out too, but then I made peace with them and realized they just were not going to go away because as soon as I pulled one out, it just grew back in (and sometimes with some friends), so I stopped. A little tinsel adds character.... or at least that is what I tell myself.

pepperminttea
November 20th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I have these, though they're very dark and coarse compared to the rest of my hair, and they're often 'bumpy' rather than smooth - I think it's how my hair's ageing. I obsessively pulled mine out when I first began to get them, and freaked out a bit that my whole head was turning into coarser, darker hairs - don't do that. :p It didn't help in the slightest, and now I have several hairs (about six inches long at the moment) that are growing back out, so they blend in even less since they often escape my updos. My mother's hair darkened before silvering, so I think it's just the way of things for me. :shrug: Try to accept them - I still have to resist the urge to tug mine out, but it'll be easier when they're longer. :)

jaine
November 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I find that drying my hair in a bun with gel is an easy way to get the coarse hairs to lie in the same direction as everything else. Sort of like straightening them without heat. I agree it doesnt have anything to do with the hair being white, it's just a random coarse hair.

little_cherry
November 20th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Please don't pluck them out...this action can cause trauma to the hair follicle. I used to do this and now I'm 'blessed' with rough coarse hairs...embrace your sparklies, or forever pull them out- eventually the trauma to the follicle may stop the follicle from producing hair creating a....yep, you guessed it, bald patch.

princessp
November 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I don't pluck mine, I just henna :D Someday, I'll be brave enough to join the renegreys!