PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Greasiness alert!

Valdeon
November 18th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Oh, well, here is my story.
I followed the advice from LHC and started to dilute my shampoo in a small bottle before washing my hair. The first time it turned out great. My hair felt moisturized and voluminous and stayed like that for 3 days! This allowed me to stretch my washes, which I loved. So I decided to proceed with this and as a result wash my hair only once every 3 days instead of usual 2 days.
The second time around I washed my hair, tried to air dry it and noticed that it was still greasy, so I had to redo the whole washing process again. It helped, I loved the result again and decided that next time I just need to add more shampoo in the mixture.
The third time I added more shampoo, washed and rinsed thoroughly,and what do you think? My hair turned out to be still greasy AGAIN! So I had to rewash it. I thought I just miss some places on the scalp, so I decided to use a nose bottle next time for precision. Buuut it didn't help! The forth time was the same as the 3d and the 2d.
The fifth time around I decided I would just wash my hair twice in one hit with a bit more shampoo and an applicator. And it turned out pretty decent and I was really happy that finally I figured out the proper way that works for me
Oh well, how naive was I!
The sixth time, that is today, I washed it like the last time, aaand it didn't work. I had to rewash. But my hair still feels greasy! :horse:
So I am desperate. Please help! The whole dilute-your-shampoo thing works great for my hair, but constant rewashing is driving me nuts!

I am not a little kid and I thought I knew how to wash my hair till it's clean. But my hair proves me wrong :luke:

luxepiggy
November 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Do you use a lot of hair product? If so maybe those are causing buildup that the diluted shampoo isn't able to completely get rid of.

Valdeon
November 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Do you use a lot of hair product? If so maybe those are causing buildup that the diluted shampoo isn't able to completely get rid of.

Nope. I do not put anything on my hair at all except for Miconazole on the roots and coconut oil on the length. Have no complains about the length though :D

CaityBear
November 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Do you massage it in/let it sit??

I do CO so it's not quite the same, but if I don't work it in well enough or let it sit long enough then my hair won't come completely clean.

Valdeon
November 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Do you massage it in/let it sit??

I do CO so it's not quite the same, but if I don't work it in well enough or let it sit long enough then my hair won't come completely clean.

I do message it in. Not sure about letting it sit... Does 1-2 min count?:confused:

spidermom
November 18th, 2010, 05:48 PM
You might try a different shampoo. Not all of them are created equal.

Of course, no matter what I've used, CWC with diluted shampoo works for me 9 times out of 10, and on the rare times it doesn't, I know it's time to clarify. It probably wouldn't have worked when I was a teenager, though. I had a very productive oil well on my head.

CaityBear
November 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I would think it should be fine for that long... hmm... Maybe now that your scalp has gotten used using diluted shampoo it has decided that it just doesn't like it?? lol

I honestly am not sure...I guess you'll have to wait and see if somebody else has any other ideas...

pepperminttea
November 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Could you alternate? Do a full strength wash, then a diluted next time, and full strength again, etc.?

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I am not trying to refute diluting shampoo, I've done it plenty of times. But maybe it's not for you? I can get away with diluting my SLS shampoo once per week but the other weekly wash has to be full strength. And sometimes I don't dilute at all. I have been able to stretch my washes to every 3-4 days here lately using non-diluted shampoo. I know everyone's different and maybe you just need to give your hair more time...or maybe diluted shampoo doesn't agree with you.

Valdeon
November 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
You might try a different shampoo. Not all of them are created equal.

Of course, no matter what I've used, CWC with diluted shampoo works for me 9 times out of 10, and on the rare times it doesn't, I know it's time to clarify. It probably wouldn't have worked when I was a teenager, though. I had a very productive oil well on my head.

hmm, then I will try another shampoo tomorrow. Do you think I should diluted it or maybe just do some clarifying?

CaityBear

I hope so! Because I am out of ideas right now. Too frustrated :( It is already night time where I live so I should wait till morning before my next try. And the scalp surely feels uncomfortable :brickwall

pepperminttea

I suppose it might work! I haven't tried it yet because I didn't want to mess with the great results diluting gave me

aenflex

That might be. You never know... I just feel pity for my length. It got much better since I started deluting, more moisterized. Oh well...

UPD Ok. SO I gave up. I couldn't stand the itching, went ahead and CWCed my hair for the 3d time using different shampoo undiluted (plenty of it!), then rinsed with cool water for 10 min, cause my scalp just felt weird.
My hair is now wrapped in a towel. I hope I got it this time. But I am complitely lost about my future hair washing routine now.

luxepiggy
November 18th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Nope. I do not put anything on my hair at all except for Miconazole on the roots and coconut oil on the length. Have no complains about the length though :D

I wonder if it's the Miconazole? When/how often do you apply it, and what formulation exactly are you using? I know at least one of the common formulations has mineral oil in it, for example. Can you perhaps try not using that for a week, just to eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem?

Valdeon
November 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hmm.... Actually this sounds like a pretty good idea! My Miconazole tube doesn't contain mineral oil but paraffin :rolleyes: I will try not to use it for a few days then. Usually I apply it every 2d day after the wash.

chelles2kids
November 18th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It sounds to me like you're scalp may be going through a 'transitional' stage with the extended time between washings.

If you want to stay with the 3 days inbetween washings, then you may have to go back to using undiluted shampoo in order to get you're scalp to stay happy.
*OR* wash more frequently.

I apologize if I've repeated someone else's suggestions.

I hope you can get it worked out soon, I know how very frustrating it is to find a routine that is working fine for you and then all of a sudden you're hair/scalp rebels.:(

Valdeon
November 19th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Thank you for the support!
I did give it a lot of thought ( I had pleenty of time at night while waiting for my hair to airdry :D) and decided I should try to alternate and see how it will go.

I got a little panicky yesterday, so my big thank you to everybody on this tread! You gave me some great ideas :flower:

spidermom
November 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
A clarifying wouldn't hurt. Now that I know about the paraffin, I'd definitely blame that. It's almost impossible to get it out of material, so I wouldn't doubt that it's difficult to get out of hair.

lapushka
November 19th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Diluting shampoo doesn't do a thing for me either (yes: greasies). The less sl(e)s shampoos tend to contain, the harder it gets to distribute it well, and the more of it is needed. I don't know whether it's because I have iii hair, I don't know. I do know that I need a palm full of shampoo, and that's just for my scalp, the length only gets suds.