PDA

View Full Version : describing this haircut to a stylist

glitterati
June 1st, 2008, 04:26 PM
I have an appointment to update my layers this week and I want to be able to describe this cut (minus the bangs), so I dont end up with layers that are too short (which always happens :rolleyes:). I would say that her hair has long layers and then a couple face framing ones that are just below her chin. Can anyone help me to describe it better? :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/azalea905/TaylorSwift6.jpg?t=1212358922

purplebubba
June 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
The closest description I can think of is either light layering or slightly shag like.

It's hard to see where she has layers except for the front few.

Can you show that picture to the stylist?

Lixie
June 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
I agree with purplebubba, the best way to get what you want is to print off the picture and take it with you. :)

purplebubba
June 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
You posted a while back that you had a really bad haircut. I'd advise getting something to take notes on and write down everything you did not like about it as well as anything you didn't like about other haircuts.

And write down anything else that you want to remember to say. Then you can read off your notes if you take them with you.

psvzum
June 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Bring the picture with you and ask what she'd do to your hair to get it to look like that. It may be that short layers are needed to get that style (although I doubt it since the layers look really long). If you don't like what the stylist tells you, go someplace else.

I really like that hairstyle but it looks like it's curled with a curling iron to get the spirals. I have wavy/curly hair and couldn't get the curls to go in the same direction naturally : )

Post a picture after you get it styled!

glitterati
June 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM
You posted a while back that you had a really bad haircut. I'd advise getting something to take notes on and write down everything you did not like about it as well as anything you didn't like about other haircuts.

And write down anything else that you want to remember to say. Then you can read off your notes if you take them with you.

This is a great idea :) My hair has *finally* grown back to a little past BSL, so writing my thoughts/questions down will definitely help to make sure it doesn't get cut too short.

I'm definitely going to take the picture in, but I'm hoping if I can't explain it (ie, long layers, *a few* face framing shorter layers, etc) might help get what I want across better.

purplebubba
June 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Another option is to print out that picture and then use a pen or marker to mark off where you think her layers or tips are reaching. Or use a photo editing program to make the marks and then print it.

mugglemomof3
June 5th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Another option is to print out that picture and then use a pen or marker to mark off where you think her layers or tips are reaching. Or use a photo editing program to make the marks and then print it.

ooh ooh ooh - PB - that's an awesome idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer:

Garnett
June 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
bring a picture. I can't emphasize this enough! BRING A PICTURE!! Or many pictures! Really, you can't overdo it.

rubyredslippers
June 5th, 2008, 10:10 PM
You can tell your stylist, too, "layers only in the bottom 5 inches" or something of the like. That's worked with my stylist, anyways. Good luck!:cool:

intothemist1999
June 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Not to sound TOO negative... :D I actually went INTO my stylist once when my hair got just how I wanted it so that in my upcoming trim she'd know what to do.

No such luck.

renarok
June 6th, 2008, 12:00 AM
This girl has very fine hair. She doesn't have bangs, the layer in front is swept over to appear like bangs. The hair is beautiful, but it would take a LOT of effort to have this hair every day. Are you willing to use a spiral iron to get this look? I think it is a plain long layered cut. I like that it is long enough to put up into a pony or a bun. Good luck. I hope you get the style you want.

30isthenewblack
June 6th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Definitely GHD curls. I can spot em a mile away. It's a gorgeous look but a bit high maintenance.

far_away
June 6th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Be aware as well that her hair must be quite long to curl in that way and still maintain the length at the back and keep an eye on your stylist. I have had quite a few who just didn't seem to understand about hair getting shorter when it's curled.

30isthenewblack
June 6th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Be aware as well that her hair must be quite long to curl in that way and still maintain the length at the back and keep an eye on your stylist. I have had quite a few who just didn't seem to understand about hair getting shorter when it's curled.

That's a good point. My hair can jump up 6 inches. It is currently 21.5 inches curly & 25.5 inches when pulled straight.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2332/2500728601_06a073e3db_o.jpg

Curlsgirl
June 6th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I'm definitely going to take the picture in, but I'm hoping if I can't explain it (ie, long layers, *a few* face framing shorter layers, etc) might help get what I want across better.Just one more addition along with the other excellent advice. If you say "face framing shorter layers" you could get anywhere from short bangs to chin length layers. Be SURE to specify how long you want them! It only looks in the pic like she has very long light layers put in.

k_hepburn
June 6th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I would definitely avoid the term "face framing layers", unless you want to end up with layers starting at chin length (or even shorter, if the hair dresser doesn't properly factor in your 3a curl).

I agree with other posters, I don't actually see a lot of layering in the picture you've posted, in fact, I don't believe the woman even has bangs, as you think. My guess is that what looks like bangs is just some longer strands craftily swept across her forehead. Taking the picture, of course, if the best suggestion. But still, replicating this style on you may not be the easiest. For on thing I believe that the woman picture may actually have naturally straight hair, and the look pictured was achieved using a wide barrelled curling iron or curlers. I wonder how it would transfer to naturally curly hair. Plus, I do believe that it must be difficult for a hair dresser to imitate a look from a photo, without having been shown properly how to cut that particular style. But then, I guess they are bound to get that kind of request quite frequently (anyone remember all the Princess Diana haircuts, or the Jennifer Anniston haircuts - and how they tended to turn out?).

Greetings

katharine