PDA

View Full Version : I am confused- my hairtype is changing???

Irnann
November 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I am now realy confused about what my hair is doing there on top of my head!

All my life i thought i have straight hair. The last years it was more kind of wavy, like a 1c i would guess. My thinking was, it became a bit more wavy because of the age changes, but look at this today:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=88707&albumid=6374&dl=1290122583&thumb

I washed it this morning with my usually routine. The only thing i did different was mixing some aloe vera gel together with the oils i am normaly put in my damp hair and we had a very rainy day here.

What you think about the hairtype? Is it 2a?
Its important to know for me, should i change my routine to a wavy?

Thank you for your help!

Delila
November 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
All I know about my own hair, is that my wave pattern is almost completely invisible if I blowdry my hair. (well, it turns weirdly swoopy, never quite straight)

I really didn't realize just how wavy my hair is until I quit blowdrying altogether and figured out how much moisture my hair (but not my scalp) seems to need.

Could just be a consequence of changing routines?

(I do know that some health issues can cause a change in hair texture, thyroid issues, perhaps?)

Mairéad
November 18th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I always thought I had pin straight hair, but once I stopped using regular shampoo I discovered I actually do have a very subtle wave.

Nicolesid1
November 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Like the other girls said it may just be your hair saying hey I am not totally straight. Long ago (6th grade) I had longish hair and decided to cut it all for the first time in years to shoulder length when I did it went from a wave or curl at the end to all curl and I mean Shirley Temple curl. Now it is for the most part curly but some days it will go wavy (with no added damage or heat). Maybe you are a little of both?

evampr18
November 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
All my life i thought i have straight hair.

What you think about the hairtype? Is it 2a?

I always had straight hair and my hair is beginning to do a poof and wave...I don't like it. :/

Yes, you are a 2A in that picture.

jackiesjottings
November 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Mine has changed. Before I had my hair cut in 1995, it was straight with no body at all. Now it is almost as long again as it was then, and it has more body and a slight natural wave as well. I braid it over one shoulder at night, but I used to do that before. I think it may be because I am now going silver and my silver hairs are coarser and wavier, so I think that may be one of the reasons. I know I am very happy with it as I have thin hair which usually doesn't look as thin as it is.

Armelle
November 19th, 2010, 08:23 AM
My hair has definitely gotten curlier as I've gotten older.
Could your hair be developing fairy tail ends? Those curl regardless of hair type, I think.

aenflex
November 19th, 2010, 08:28 AM
My hair type changes regularly, depending the products I use and the drying methods. Actually my hair is quite wavey with lots of S curls and spirals in the hair underneath. If I let my hair air dry it would be between a 2c and 3a. But since I don't, my dry hair type is 2b...I like hair typing and think it's very helpful but in my limited experience with it, I've found it's not the most 'scientific' procedure :) So many variables....

spidermom
November 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Is your hair significantly longer than you've worn it in the past? I ask because with short hair, which I've had most of my life, my hair seems straight with cowlicks. As it grows, for awhile it gets wider and fluffier but no discernible wave or curl. By the time I was passing APL, a few spiral curls were forming where cowlicks used to be, and the overall appearance became decidedly wavy.

Now that my hair is almost classic length, I'm having more straight days; the weight pulls the wave and curl out over a couple of days. But it's still very wavy with a few curls on the first day I wash it, especially if it's a rainy day.

ikke1978
November 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
My hairdresser told me once that the structure of hair changes every 7 years a bit. Maybe that is what is going on.

DavidN
November 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Your hair has a definte wave pattern, Irnann (looks thick and healthy too), and is firmly in "2" territory, as far as I can see from this photo. I would say at least a 2b. The other members have already given you some excellent insights.

Angelica
November 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
I think you have beautiful hair, I would love to have hair like that! :)

Chiara
November 22nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
My hair is doing this too- it is developing a wave, especially when I let it air dry. I've always thought of myself as a straight hair! I remember the same thing happening to my Grandmother...and hey, it means lots more excuses to experiment :)

princessp
November 22nd, 2010, 07:23 PM
Wow that is cool. Your hair is very pretty!