PDA

View Full Version : going to get my hair cut Saturday or Monday...

TealDolphin
November 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to grow out my hair, but right now, it has horrible split ends, so I'm going to get it trimmed. In the past when I've gone to get it cut, they've ended up cutting it shorter than I would have liked, but I was too shy to say anything (bad, huh?) lol.

feralnature
November 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM
So do you have a plan to keep the hairdresser from cutting it too short this time?

Kome
November 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I agree with the above.

spidermom
November 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Be very firm and show the stylist exactly how much you want to have trimmed off. If he or she suggests that you should have more trimmed, tell him or her that you are growing your hair longer and will be back for another trim when you get a little more length. Then pay attention. The very worst stories seem to include words to the effect that they had no idea what the stylist was doing and then 6-12 inches were gone.

CarpeDM
November 18th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I find that if I am really nice and sweet I get butchered and the stylists don't listen to a word I say. On the other hand if I go in and act like I mean business I get better service.

CaityBear
November 18th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'm quite shy like that, too. I don't like to offend people or anything.

BUT sometimes you have to do it. Show with your fingers exactly how much you want cut off and stress the point that you want ONLY that taken off (and even if you have to pretend, act like miss-tough-girl :D). And then keep an eye on what they're doing.

I hope all goes well! :) Hopefully she only takes off what you want. Good luck. :)

StarryNight
November 18th, 2010, 05:51 PM
you can always do it yourself :)

Here (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/)

Lisa R
November 18th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I have been growing my hair out for a while now and I recently got my first trim from a hairdresser in about two years. I normally go to my mum for a trim cause she does exactly what I say but I desperately needed a tidy up and I'm not going to be seeing my mum till Feb next year.

Well, I took a photo of my hair to the hair dresser. I had memorised exactly what I wanted to say to them. I said I am growing my hair long so I only want such and such a length off. I pointed on the photo at the areas of my hair that needed work on. I told her how much I wanted off. I knew she would most likely cut more than what I would ask for so instead of saying take 1 inch off I said take 1/2 inch off cause I knew she would probably do a bit more than 1/2 inch. I think if I had said take 1 inch off she would've taken maybe 2 inches off. Well, I love what she did and I will be going back to her.

Good luck with your decision making!

akuamoonmaui
November 18th, 2010, 06:24 PM
S & D first???

Feye's trims work for people, too.

Do you have a recommendation for the stylist or are you chancin' it?

TealDolphin
November 18th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I've been to this place before, and I usually just take whatever stylist is there at that moment.

What's S&D?

akuamoonmaui
November 18th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Search and Destroy. Its a way to trim off your split ends without losing length!!! I think you take a small portion of your hair, twist it, and the split ends reveal themselves so you can rid them of their miserable little lives. There seems to be a lot of threads on it.

HintOfMint
November 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Search and Destroy. Its a way to trim off your split ends without losing length!!! I think you take a small portion of your hair, twist it, and the split ends reveal themselves so you can rid them of their miserable little lives. There seems to be a lot of threads on it.

And please use haircutting scissors, not just any scissors you have lying around the house. They tend to be a bit dull, which will only fray your hair, creating more split ends.