PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on spontaneity...

Gingevere
November 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hey LHC... I reached my first goal of waist in August. I didn't post about it because I was planning on getting a trim, which took about an inch off. Anyway, I haven't been paying attention the last couple months and my hair has, in the meantime, reached waist again. Yay for me!

August 2010
http://i56.tinypic.com/nl4lli.jpg

November 2010
http://i54.tinypic.com/2qk135d.jpg

While I'm pleased that I reached my goal, I've been doing some thinking lately about my hair. More specifically, about how I never do anything with it. I have several friends who dye their hair crazy colors and cut it all off on a whim. I've been living vicariously through their hair choices, while simply allowing my own hair grow long and virgin. I would like to be more carefree and spontaneous.

My resolution next year will be to not buy anything material things that I don't truly need. No clothes, no books (except textbooks), no trinkets or do-dads. I need to be able to see something beautiful in a store and be content with just that, even if I can easily afford to buy it. I need to stop placing so my value on the physical and the tangible. Just the fact that I take my own hair so seriously kind of bothers me. So, I've decided go for a hairstyle that I've always adored... a 1920s style bob. Yes, that means I'm cutting off all my hair to shorter than chin length. The thought fills me with both dread and excitement. I will miss my long hair, but I don't think I'll regret cutting it off. I made this decision about a week ago and the appointment is still a week away. Not exactly spur-of-the-moment, lol, but close enough. :)

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Oh it lovely hair! Reminds me of an actress whose hair I have always admired! Congrats on reaching your goal :)

nemileo
November 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
If that is your virgin hair color then:thudpile:

it is FANTSTIC!

I love your values, and I am working on living by the same "rules". Resulting in that I have gotten a lot better with trying to think bigger than just following the impulse. And offcorse gotten a lot less materialistic. Still tend to "jump" into things rather than walk, but at least I am more able to apreciate what I actually have, instead of continuessly chasing something new.

Good luck with your new hairstyle, I hope you want to share pictures :D

feralnature
November 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
No need to make apologies or feel like you have to explain. If you have thought it through, then go for it! It will grow back when and if you want it long again. Please post as pic when you get it cut :)

Tia2010
November 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Your hair is beautiful ! but if you want a change and it's something your doing for yourself because you really want it , then go for it and enjoy it :cheese: !! If you decide you want it long again , it will grow back :)

spidermom
November 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I agree, lovely hair. Congratulations on reaching goal. So all the money you save on "stuff" will be going for haircuts?

FrannyG
November 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm so happy that you've reached you goal!!! It must be a very satisfying feeling. And your hair is beautiful.

Are you going for a Louise Brooks bob with bangs? I must confess that I am in love with that style, and I always think that if I ever had to cut my hair, I would go with a Louise Brooks.

Good luck with the cut, and I can't wait for photos! I really respect your thinking on the matter. :blossom:

Lady Mary
November 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
As someone who sported the Louise Brooks bob for 10 years, I have mixed feeling about the cut. It's cute, fun and easy to change your hair color, easy to wash. But it requires cutting often, can be hard to style without heat or products, the forehead tends to get very warm under the bangs (which can sometimes cause acne.) Lots of pros and cons. However, even if later on in life you regret the cut, if you didn't give it a shot, you may regret that too. Youth should be enjoyed and hair grows back :D

Best of luck!

pepperminttea
November 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Your hair is beautiful, congratulations on reaching your goal! :cheer: Enjoy rocking the flapper bob, and well done you for trying to be less material - I should follow your example.

Gingevere
November 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I agree, lovely hair. Congratulations on reaching goal. So all the money you save on "stuff" will be going for haircuts?

It depends on how long I keep the '20s look before growing it out again. In the end, I'll still be saving a lot of money because the cost of a trim isn't nearly as much as I spend on unnecessary stuff every month. Lol! Anyway, the point is really to stop valuing material things so much. Saving money is an added plus. I don't spend money frivolously, and I only buy things that I really want and can afford. Still, I don't actually need most of it and it does tend to accumulate quickly! :rolleyes:

In response to FrannyG and Lady Mary, Louise Brooks isn't really the look I'm going for. Too severe for my taste, plus I don't want bangs. Though I have naturally straight hair, I really want more of a wavy bob style. I swore off chemical treatments for life, though, so hopefully scrunching or finger waving will do the trick.

Avital88
November 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
You have great hair, but i totally understand why you want to cut it..Sometimes i think off cutting too,i think a shorter style will look fresher on me..But first i will grow it out to hip and then i will see what to do.
I think a 1920's bob is very sexy and stylish.
Cant wait to see pictures of your new style.Good luck!
xx

Avital88
November 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I also think Alexa Chung has a nice haircut!

Bonkers57
November 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
That's a worthy resolution in my book! Especially this time of year when we're all being pressured to buy stuff. As a matter of principle I never shop on Black Friday. It feels so much better to appreciate what one has and have one's debts under control. :cheese:

Your hair is beautiful now, and it'll be beautiful in your new 'do! It sounds like you've given it a lot of thought, so good onya.

http://i56.tinypic.com/nl4lli.jpg

While I'm pleased that I reached my goal, I've been doing some thinking lately about my hair. More specifically, about how I never do anything with it. I have several friends who dye their hair crazy colors and cut it all off on a whim. I've been living vicariously through their hair choices, while simply allowing my own hair grow long and virgin. I would like to be more carefree and spontaneous.

My resolution next year will be to not buy anything material things that I don't truly need. No clothes, no books (except textbooks), no trinkets or do-dads. I need to be able to see something beautiful in a store and be content with just that, even if I can easily afford to buy it. I need to stop placing so my value on the physical and the tangible. Just the fact that I take my own hair so seriously kind of bothers me. So, I've decided go for a hairstyle that I've always adored... a 1920s style bob. Yes, that means I'm cutting off all my hair to shorter than chin length. The thought fills me with both dread and excitement. I will miss my long hair, but I don't think I'll regret cutting it off. I made this decision about a week ago and the appointment is still a week away. Not exactly spur-of-the-moment, lol, but close enough. :)

IMO, there's no such thing as a "perfect" look, but Louise Brooks :queen: came pretty darn close! She's been my fave style icon for years. (Too bad I look nothing like her! :hollie::disco: )

I'm so happy that you've reached you goal!!! It must be a very satisfying feeling. And your hair is beautiful.

Are you going for a Louise Brooks bob with bangs? I must confess that I am in love with that style, and I always think that if I ever had to cut my hair, I would go with a Louise Brooks.

Good luck with the cut, and I can't wait for photos! I really respect your thinking on the matter. :blossom: