PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get rid of oily roots when doing CO?

threelilbirds
November 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
HI, I have decided to try CO. I have been using Shampoo/conditioner about every three days or so, for about a month, and my hair seems to handle that well. I have not used shampoo for about 2 washes now, and my scalp is starting to get pretty oily, but the rest of my hair feels fantastic! It is much more manageable, full of body, etc, so how can I battle the oilies?? lol :p

terrylillyd
November 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
As a new Co-er, I have done a lot of research and have figured out there is a transition period your hair will go through for about 4-6 weeks before the scalp oil goes away. In the meantime, maybe you can do a baking soda wash and an apple cider rinse to help get through the transition?

hairobsessed1
November 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
try some dry shampoo

sleepingIn
November 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM
try some dry shampoo
I 100% AGREE!! Dry shampoo is the only thing that gets me through. I seriously do not know how I got by without this stuff. You can get a bottle of the psssst! type @ cvs but I recommend the pink bottle of Batiste @ sally beauty supply if you have one nearby.

ravenreed
November 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
The thing with CO is you have to let the conditioner sit a bit before you wash it out. It isn't as stripping as shampoo so it needs more time. I usually let the conditioner sit for most of my shower. I also spend time making sure that conditioner has worked its way right down to the scalp and do a small scalp massage to get all of it. The other thing that might help is an ACV or lemon juice rinse. My hair likes the lemon juice better, but my scalp likes the ACV better.

ETA: You might also need to try a different brand or type of conditioner. Maybe yours is too moisturizing? I use Suave for my 'cleansing' wash.

threelilbirds
November 18th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Hmmm, ok thanks! I was thinking ACV, so maybe next time I wash, I will try some. Should I use it before the conditioner, or after I rinse it? And I definitely need to get a new conditioner, I was using Redken, and it was verrrry moisturising. So it may be too much now. ANd maybe I will get some of that dry shampoo, I do have a sally beauty supply nearby, thank you for the reference!

SilvraShadows
November 18th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I like White Rain in the coconut, it seems to clean my scalp very well and the length is nicely moisturized also. I use a good portion on my scalp and length, let it set, gently massage my scalp without rubbing, rinse; use the conditioner on just my length again, and rinse again... CO-C.

Great results!

ravenreed
November 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM
After you rinse out the conditioner completely, that is when to do the vinegar rinse. I usually put about an ounce of vinegar in one of the dye bottles from Sally's and fill the bottle to the top with water. I use about 1/3 to a half of the bottle per wash. However, I have really hard water here, so I am trying to counteract that. You might try a lesser concentration to start. The smell might be a bit much but it does mostly wash out.

I also recommend the Batiste dry shampoo from Sally's. I use it at least once a week for those morning where my hair is a little too oily for my liking but I don't have time to do a full wash and dry before I leave the house.

ETA: You will need to rinse all the vinegar out. I don't let the vinegar sit more than a minute or so, then rinse, rinse, rinse. One benefit to the extra rinsing is it will make sure you got all the conditioner out as well. GL!