PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition, Dieting, and Its Effects on Hair

Urchin
November 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hey all, I'm working on losing some weight right now, and I was wondering what sort of things I should make sure I'm still getting in my diet or what supplements I should take to make sure my hair stays healthy. I want to be thinner, but not at the expense of my hair!

Anyone have experience with this?

YesitsReal
November 18th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Sparkpeople.com has a great chart thingy to make sure that you're getting plenty of fats, proteins, carbs, etc to be healthy. You can also add nutrients to track if you want. I used the site all the way through my weight loss "journey," and my hair and I were super healthy the whole time! :D

ETA: And it's free!

feralnature
November 18th, 2010, 12:53 PM
About 6 years ago, I went on the Atkin's diet and lost 70 pounds. I got really thin. Too thin. People thought I had some terrible disease because I was so little. My hair began falling out and thinning. I look terrible in my old pictures even though I fit into tiny jeans handed down to me from my daughters.

So eat nutritious food, well balamnced, take suppliments and don't loose weight too rapidly. Also, I was smoking back then and that made me look bad too. I quit smoking cigs cold turkey over a year ago and that helped tremendously with my health, and with how my hair grew.

Urchin
November 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I keep meaning to quit smoking. I may actually do it over the holidays, or at least cut way way back. If not smoking helps your hair, that would be another good motivator for me (for some reason the "decades from now you'll have lung cancer!" thing doesn't work that well. I guess I'm still young).

melikai
November 18th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I'd recommend taking a good quality multi-vitamin, an iron supplement, and an omega 3 supplement. If you maintain a balanced diet with enough protein and plenty of vegetables, your hair should be fine! That's if you don't have any other health issues or tendencies to stay aware of.

CaityBear
November 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I should think as long as you make sure to get all of your vitamins and minerals, etc then you should be fine. As long as your hair has the nutrients it needs to keep growing.