PDA

View Full Version : Boar bristle brushing

maus
November 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hi ladies,

I have been gaining a whole new appreciation of my hair since I have found this forum, and am trying to nurture my over-processed hair (I have dyed my hair with a box-color before, but have switched to henna now) back to a healthier state. Everything I read on this forum helps me, and I have been contemplating changing my combing/brushing techniques - I currently have one of these plastic brushes, which I read are supposedly not good for hair since they have little rough spots that can grab on to the hair and make it break. I haven't felt any rough areas on my brush, but have been cutting back on that and switching to a wooden comb. That works fine, but now I am unsure about the BBB that supposedly helps with spreading sebum down closer to the ends. I have heard great things about it, but also not so good. Some reports I read say that it also roughens up the hair.

Are you ladies out there using a BBB, and has it helped your hair? Would you recommend for me to get one of those? If yes, any particular brand? Anything else I need to be looking for? I have very fine hair, and it is currently very dry (trying to do many, many DTs to get it to a normal state again).

Sorry if this has been asked before - my search function for some reason doesn't work. I gotta ask my DH to look at the error message and get it fixed.

Thanks a bunch!

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I had no luck. BBB did nothing for my hair and if fact left it in a weird state that was kinda like my hair strands were velcro-ing to eachother, althouh they were smooth. I daresay I hated the BBB. It's used on my pets now :)
But I am just one person. There are slews of people here that use and love them.

yotaka
November 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I really love mine. I use it in combination with my long bristled nylon brush. The nylon I use to get out tangles and the BBB I use to smooth it all out and distribute the oils. It works well for me. Like aenflex said, it depends on the girl and the hair type she has. My hair type is straight with a slight wave with fine to medium individual hairs.

pepperminttea
November 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
If I use mine too much, I get breakage, especially on my ends - it seems to only make it more flyaway and tangly if I go down the whole length, not to mention it doesn't reach my underlayer.

I only use it for smoothing my hair into updos now - it gives a much sleeker finish than a comb.

ravenreed
November 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
If I use mine on my scalp area, it makes my hair look instantly greasy even though my brush is clean and so is my hair. The only thing I use mine for is to brush out dry shampoos.

slythwolf
November 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
If you are happy with how your wood comb is working, why change?

little_cherry
November 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I use mine maybe twice a month to smooth out the canopy...any more than that and I get the velcro hair.

maus
November 18th, 2010, 12:29 PM
If you are happy with how your wood comb is working, why change?
Hi slythwolf - I heard that it is helping with distributing the oils from the root down to closer to the ends. My comb is very wide-toothed, so I don't think it does much in that regards. I was hoping that would help my very dry ends and also longer-term, in addition to the DTs I am doing.

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hi slythwolf - I heard that it is helping with distributing the oils from the root down to closer to the ends. My comb is very wide-toothed, so I don't think it does much in that regards. I was hoping that would help my very dry ends and also longer-term, in addition to the DTs I am doing.

How about applying it sparingly directly to your ends with you hands, then dispersing it with a finer tooth comb? Just a thought :)

maus
November 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Based on the feedback, I think I'll skip the BBB for now, and just use a finer tooth comb to distribute. Thank you all for your input, I'm certainly a noob to serious haircare, and whatever I can learn from you ladies (and guys) is very much appreciated!

feralnature
November 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I gave my BBB away. I use a wide tooth plastic comb and gently comb my hair out in the shower with conditioner in my hair. If I have to comb my hair when it is dry, for some reason, I use a bit of coconut oil as a lube in order not to have snarls. I have no brush. My hair is usually messy looking, I am not one who is obscessive-compulsive about smoothing things down. I just sport my mane!

terrylillyd
November 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
My hair is very fine, and BBB works great for my hair. Seems to work well with my texture

MAO
November 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I LOVE my BBB! It gives my hair great volume and helps with my flaky scalp. My hair also seems to grow faster when I make an effort to brush it every night.

Just remember not to brush too hard and make sure you detangle first!

ddiana1979
November 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
It seems like most people who like BBB typically have straight or *slightly* wavy hair.

I use a soft BBB to distribute oils throughout my hair & to smooth hairstyles.

emsahib
November 19th, 2010, 02:28 AM
When I started growing my hair I virtually stopped brushing my hair and only combed a few times instead. This really limited the damage (along with everything else I was doing) However I heard about natural brushes being better for your hair and looked into getting one. I'm a vegetarian though so I wanted to find a hairbrush that hadn't harmed animals. Apparently alot of them kill the boars but I found a 100% boar bristle brush where the bristles had been sheared and the boar hadn't been harmed. I got this one https://morroccomethod.com/en/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=72&category_id=18 which was for fine hair. It's been really nice to be able to brush my hair and I still don't see any damage from using it. Plus it makes my hair really smooth and shiny :D

lhangel9
November 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
I had no luck. BBB did nothing for my hair and if fact left it in a weird state that was kinda like my hair strands were velcro-ing to eachother, althouh they were smooth. I daresay I hated the BBB. It's used on my pets now :)
But I am just one person. There are slews of people here that use and love them.

I've experimented with BBB without any luck at all. But then again, I was never too consistent. If I don't see almost immediate results or see something negative then I tend to give up.. I'm currently using one now, so I guess (hope) I'll see some positive results soon :)

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I have a botantics BBB that I bought in Boots. It's so much much than any other hairbrush I've ever used and it feels really good on my scalp. I would definately reccomend getting one.

Tiina
November 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM
BBB worked well on me when I was in transition phase of WO. Once the sebum had reached the ends, there was no need for it anymore. CO+BBB does nothing noticeable and S&C+BBB is a pile of static. I mostly use it after I've had my hair down all day since it gets rid of whatever little pieces of lint or particles may have gotten stuck in there. That doesn't happen very often.

LisaMonster
November 24th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I've cut down significantly on my BBB use. I like to use it before a CO wash.

nytquill
November 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I bought one when I tried WO for a couple months. A BBB does not detangle, you have to do that first with something else. I didn't have any major problems with it, but I just didn't love it or find that it made any noticeable difference for me in making my hair shiny OR in spreading the oils to the ends. It was pretty good for scratching an itchy scalp though! But I always felt when I got the BBB down to my scalp, it involved a lot of rough handling for the scalp hairs so I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I've "donated" it to my rabbit now - he loves it a lot more than wire pet brushes. I did borrow it back from him last night (cleaned it out first!) to scratch a really persistent itch between my shoulder blades :lol:

Basically I like having one in the house for the odd situation that I need it (it's great for exfoliating!) but I don't like it enough to use it regularly for myself.

Artsy
November 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
It looks like most people with fine hair benefit from the BBB. I like my BBB on coarse straightish hair, but it took me a while to find one that is 100% boar, without any nylon or plastic threads. The nylon and plastic just rip through the hair causing so many splits. Also the bristles on my BBB are very tightly packed together, not sparse like I've seen on some brushes. There are many types of BBBs, so it all depends on what your hair likes. I find this one works best for frizz control and oil distribution, especially when I add oil to my ends.
Mine is Goody by the way, and it was only 9.99 CA

tigerlily38
November 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
BBB is the only brush i use for my hair, it is very fine and tangles easily, but this kind of brushes my hair well

spidermom
November 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I quit using my BBB for about 2 years because I thought that was what was causing my split ends, but it didn't make one bit of difference. Lately I have been using it when my scalp area starts looking/feeling oily, and I absolutely love it. I detangle with my hardwood comb first, then use the brush.

chelseamichelle
November 24th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I've been using a BBB since I was little, it's the only thing that doesn't rip and snag my fine hair.

Mine is quite soft though, some of them are very hard.. Maybe the harder ones are rougher on hair :shrug:

Honestly I could never use anything else, I'm in love with mine.

Valdeon
November 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I use it all the time. In fact, that is the only thing I use on my hair. Without it my hair looks piecy and less shiny. Maybe that is because I have straight fine but thick hair

looniac
November 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I use this "natural bristle" brush (here: http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9895) and I love the way it feels on my scalp. I use it to distribute the sebum and scalp oils, but basically know that it makes my hair look flat and crappy. So I use it at night as a massage type thing, enjoy the way it feels, but don't use it for styling, especially since I have very curly hair. The way I see it, yes the curls don't like the way the bristles separate them, but they love the added oil!