PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find headbands uncomfortable?

keepmyhair
November 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I started growing my hair some time back, and now I really need to keep it up because it gets all over my face.

I am a guy, so I felt like headbands would be best to keep my hair out of my face. I got a plastic one with fine teeth under the band. However, I find it extremely uncomfortable (painful on the sides). Not sure if it's because I have not used them before.

I asked a cousin and she said that women are used to the slight pain.

I also feel like it is pulling my hair too much at the temples. I am already receding from the temples, so want to avoid too much traction there.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or perhaps is it possible that my head is not shaped for a headband?

firefly42
November 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
i'm with you! i'm a girl but i find the plastic molded headbands painful as well, plus they knock my glasses off my face. maybe try the thin elasticy cloth ones? the ones that circle all the way around your head i've had good luck with those.

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I use soft cloth headbands without detriment. Plastic/metal or otherwise inflexible headbands are not an option for me. They make my skull sore :)

Sundial
November 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I have problems finding comfortable ones and have mostly given up on plastic headbands because I find most of them really tight behind the ears.
However you may want to try metal headbands since they are malleable and you can probably stretch them out to a suitable size.
Alternatively you can try stretchable cloth bands or even bandanas

enfys
November 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I have one plastic headband that I can actually wear. It was an utter fluke. In my whole like the only plastic headband I've been able to wear for extended times was a French Connection one free with toiletries!

I think a cloth one is much more comfy. Or I've seen zigzag flexible ones; didn't David Beckham wear something like those years ago?

HairFaerie
November 18th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Most hair clips, bands, etc. give me a headache. I try to avoid them.
It doesn't stop me from buying them because I always say to myself "Maybe this one won't hurt."
Usually they do though and I end up taking them out and never wearing them again. In the rare event that they don't hurt, those are the ones I use occasionally.
I don't like unnecessary pain!

In2wishin
November 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I have never been able to wear plastic headbands because I inherited my Dad's big head and they never stayed on :(

LaurelSpring
November 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I have never been able to deal with headbands. I have tried several times and they just annoy me. I have been experimenting with the cloth ones but they just keep slipping for the most part. That is probably your best bet though. How about some sort of buff or bandanna sort of look. That is cool looking on a guy. Men can also get away with caps pretty well too.

OrangeStripe
November 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM
If you still want to use a plastic headband, try using a thinner one- they're usually much more flexible. Thin ones I can wear all day, but thicker ones I always end up having to ditch and tie my hair back instead.

However, there's a guy at my student union with apl? hair who wears a headband (the only guy I've ever seen with hair accessories :)) Instead of wearing vertically, he wears it more at a horizontal angle pushed back from the forehead. I don't think it would put any pressure on the sides of your head if you wore it like that, and it looks pretty cool.

Tia2010
November 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I have yet to find a headband I can wear comfortably. They all cause pain on the sides right behind my ears where they hit. The cloth/elastic ones feel better but they never stay on my head they always manage to slide up and off my head , but maybe I wear them wrong? :shrug:

I usually just do a small braid just on my front and clip it back by my crown ....or I just let it hang, it doesn't bother me too much.

pepperminttea
November 18th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I can't use plastic or metal ones; they're just not worth the pain. I do occasionally use cloth ones, but they do need to be re-positioned several times throughout the day so they're not ideal.

Cheeks1206
November 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
i'm with you! i'm a girl but i find the plastic molded headbands painful as well, plus they knock my glasses off my face. maybe try the thin elasticy cloth ones? the ones that circle all the way around your head i've had good luck with those.

This exactly. I could have written it myself. :)

mrs_coffee
November 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Any headband that isn't made of cloth or is too snug fitting gives me a headache.

keepmyhair
November 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I was really thinking that I must be nuts to feel the pain, when so many girls wear headbands day in and day out.

I will try the cloth ones, but I am not sure if my hair is long enough to hold them in place.

As Sundial and LaurelSpring suggested wearing a bandana (or a cap) is also an option. I do use a cap at times, but just feels suffocating to keep it on all day.

firefly42, I too feel the same way. My headband also messes with my glasses :-)

Juneii
November 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM
pft! lies! I am not used to wearing headbands and I really tried. The only ones that don't hurt me are the really skinny ones meant for decoration.

keepmyhair
November 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
However, there's a guy at my student union with apl? hair who wears a headband (the only guy I've ever seen with hair accessories :))

Haha that made me smile. I was thinking that sometime back. Around where I stay I think I am the only guy seen in hair accessories :-)

keepmyhair
November 18th, 2010, 10:47 AM
The only ones that don't hurt me are the really skinny ones meant for decoration.

Do the skinny ones hold hair back ?

curlymarcia
November 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM
To avoid a headache due to headbands, now I try it before buying. If it is too tight or little uncomfortable is a no. All the fabric ones are comfy ;)

Madora
November 18th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't recommend metal or plastic for a headband.

Try cloth covered elastic headbands - I've seen them in both narrow and wide band versions. Much gentler to your hair and your head!

AnnaJamila
November 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I think most head bands are built for a small head- they're a big fashion for girls and teens so they're made a smidge too tight for most grownups. I've found some contoured ones at walmart which I really like but I think they might be a little too fancy/feminine for a guy to wear. I'm lucky, most headbands don't really bother me unless I already have a headache!

Kittin
November 18th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure how long your hair is, have you tried one or two small braids in the front of your hair leaving the rest to hang natural? I have a few male friends who do that occasionally.

As for headbands, I find with the thicker bands, I need to glue felt on them in certain spots to help with the tightness. The padding underneath makes them more comfortable. I'd try the headband on first if you can, if its too long or shaped wrong nothing will help. I had some lovely ferrigamo headbands that were too long and hurt like crazy. I ended up giving them to a friend with a different shaped head.

You might want to look for a braided leather headband, which can be worn either across your head like a traditional headband or across your forehead. I think Lucky Brand had some, the last time I was looking for them. Not sure if they had other embellishments. It might not be too hard to craft one if you can't find one for sale.

sibiryachka
November 18th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I gave up on headbands after years of struggle. Hard ones never fit comfortably; the rare ones that do fit interfere with my glasses. Elastic/fabric ones don't stay put, and with my very round face, they're not that flattering anyway. I really only use them when I need my hair out of my face briefly for washing or a treatment.

Malibu Barbie
November 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I can't stand the plastic headbands they make my head hurt but I have tons of soft cloth headbands that are not tight at all and I wear those all the time. Most of the time they come in packs of about six and in different colors. Good luck!!

Angelica
November 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I don't like Alice bands or head bands. They hurt, give me a headache, are very uncomfortable to wear with glasses. Pity really because some of them are really nice.

Alix
November 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I have cysts behind my ears so I can't wear the headbands without making my ears ache. However, my hair is so slick the ones that go around the head always slide off, so I am constantly pinning those to my head.

Topaz
November 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
You're definitely not alone. I've never been able to wear headbands, not as a child or as a young woman or now. They pinch my head and give me a headache no matter how I try to adjust them. They also push my glasses askew as some others have mentioned. I can't even wear the cloth ones. I am a firm non-user of headbands.

Bonkers57
November 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I have one hard leather one that I use and it doesn't hurt at all. The stretchy cloth ones keep slipping off my head. My head must be shaped weird because none will stay on. :brains: I have to use the rigid ones.

HintOfMint
November 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Even the soft elastic ones give me a headache after a while. Too bad because sometimes I don't feel like doing my bangs and they hide greasy roots well. *Shrugs*

luxepiggy
November 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I have the same issues with real headbands - they press into my head right behind my temples!
However, I have found that the bigger shield-type sunglasses function very well as headbands! (^(oo)^)

http://forum.purseblog.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1128895&stc=1&d=1276498330

Even the soft elastic ones give me a headache after a while. Too bad because sometimes I don't feel like doing my bangs and they hide greasy roots well. *Shrugs*

Have you tried using a non-stretchy fabric and just tying it in the back? I do that sometimes too:
http://forum.purseblog.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1224151&stc=1&d=1286777111
http://forum.purseblog.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1224150&stc=1&d=1286777111

Armelle
November 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I can't stand them. They press at my temples and hurt something awful. I don't wear soft headbands either though, the pressure gives me a headache. :(

Gingevere
November 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I hear ya. I love the look of headbands, but it's not worth the inevitable headache. The soft kind are fine, but I don't like them as much.

feralnature
November 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I bought some headbands last year at Walmart. They were very thin plastic ones, and they were called "Headache-less Headbands". They are great! They hold the hair back in place and they are not painful at all. I forget that I am wearing one at all.

Irnann
November 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
For me, normal headbands are not working.
What i am using instead is a cutted leg from tights. Like that i have the possibility to knot them under my neck as loose as i need.

CaityBear
November 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
If they're too tight then they are painful. I have some that aren't too terribly tight, but those I only wear when I want the hair *kind of* kept off my face because they don't stay on too well.

When they start to hurt too long (the ones I am used to wearing usually take a while before they become painful) I just move the ends back or forth so they aren't creating pressure on the same spot. Or if I can, I take them off once they start to hurt.

Fingolphin
November 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I also have some Wal-mart cheapies that I use from time to time. They are very thin and flexible and don't give my head that squeezing sensation that bigger, thicker ones do. It has very fine teeth.

kschr2004
November 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I have yet to find a headband I can wear comfortably. They all cause pain on the sides right behind my ears where they hit. The cloth/elastic ones feel better but they never stay on my head they always manage to slide up and off my head

This! Thick ones, thin ones, the kind with teeth, all hurt. And the cloth ones just slide around. Even ones that I make from scarves or ribbons and tie myself. So I am definitely not a headband girl. Every couple of years I try to buy new ones, and always end up with the same result of not being able to use them.

rusika1
November 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Plastic ones give me headaches, cloth ones don't stay put. The last two times I grew my hair out (from pixie length) I used those plastic expandable combs--the ones that go all the way around your head. They're tight when they're brand new, but they stretch out pretty quickly. They stay put pretty well, and keep growing out bangs out of your face.

Like these: http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyling/comfortableupstyle.htm

keepmyhair
November 19th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I have the same issues with real headbands - they press into my head right behind my temples!
However, I have found that the bigger shield-type sunglasses function very well as headbands! (^(oo)^)

http://forum.purseblog.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1128895&stc=1&d=1276498330

This is a very nice idea. Thanks.

keepmyhair
November 19th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I'm not sure how long your hair is, have you tried one or two small braids in the front of your hair leaving the rest to hang natural? I have a few male friends who do that occasionally.

I think my hair is long enough so I may be able to braid the front. But it seems like a very tight style... so a bit concerned about the traction and hairloss.

TheStorm
November 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM
They always fall off with me, also feels like they are not big enough and are stuck on top of my head rather than around it.

keepmyhair
November 19th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Instead of wearing vertically, he wears it more at a horizontal angle pushed back from the forehead. I don't think it would put any pressure on the sides of your head if you wore it like that, and it looks pretty cool.

This worked very well. Thank you!

wendyg
November 19th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Lots of headbands *are* uncomfortable, but I would take exception to the claim that women are used to the slight pain. Why would anyone put up with being in pain?

Basically, if the headband is uncomfortable either try a different design (Sassoon makes some black/brown plastic ones that are cleverly designed and work well even with glasses and are pretty comfortable) or try to reshape one. Plastic ones you should be able to soften just enough by soaking them in hot/boiling water. Metal ones you can shape by bending carefully.

wg

Immera
November 19th, 2010, 07:19 AM
They give me a headache. I use bandannas, scarves and cotton headbands often.

Bonkers57
November 19th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't put up with unnecessary pain either, but some do - you ever see someone teetering around in 3+ inch heels? Remember that '80s song - 'You Look Maaahvelous'? A line from it went ' it isn't how you feel, it's how you look'

Anyway, sorry for the hijack! Back to your regularly scheduled program. :D

...I would take exception to the claim that women are used to the slight pain. Why would anyone put up with being in pain?...

SpinDance
November 19th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I don't like pain, and so don't bother with headbands. Besides, they really don't work all that well for me. My sisters both wore headbands quite a lot, and may still (don't get to see them often due to distance). They never seemed to have pain from the bands, but our face/head shape are different. Hard ones hurt and don't fit, cloth ones slide around and fall off. I have better luck with Flexi's or braids, or buns. There are are number of Flexi's that I think would look great on a man.

However, Bonkers57, you mention a leather band, maybe that might work better?

spigette
November 19th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm a girl, but I have a big man-size head that does not like headbands. Even as a kid, they gave me headaches. The cloth ones that are one piece (even with rubber backing) keep sliding back toward my crown, and I hate them too, lol.

I tend to pull a small amount of my front hair back in a tiny barrette, clip or small ponytail just to get it out of my face when needed, but so it is still long in back. I have seen men do this too - as long as you use a simple clip or plain pony holder, it should look fine.

Bonkers57
November 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Yes, the one I have isn't the cloth, stretchy kind, but it also doesn't have any teeth. Sometimes I have to re-adjust it, but the lack of pain makes it worth it. Pic Posted below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Amaryllis_Dance/LeatherHeadband.jpg

I don't like pain, and so don't bother with headbands. Besides, they really don't work all that well for me. My sisters both wore headbands quite a lot, and may still (don't get to see them often due to distance). They never seemed to have pain from the bands, but our face/head shape are different. Hard ones hurt and don't fit, cloth ones slide around and fall off. I have better luck with Flexi's or braids, or buns. There are are number of Flexi's that I think would look great on a man.

However, Bonkers57, you mention a leather band, maybe that might work better?

keepmyhair
November 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I tend to pull a small amount of my front hair back in a tiny barrette, clip or small ponytail just to get it out of my face when needed, but so it is still long in back. I have seen men do this too - as long as you use a simple clip or plain pony holder, it should look fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. A small ponytail at the crown does work well, as does a couple of small bobby pins. The bobby pins are extremely comfortable, but somehow I prefer the ponytail.

2peasinapod
November 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
The hard headband always hurt my head, and they never hold for me, no matter what.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I definitely recommend the soft, stretchy fabric headbands. I think Goody makes athletic ones that have an elastic with soft grips if you have problems with slipping. When my bangs were getting in my eyes, I sometimes just wore it straight across my forehead.

You can also try a leather or beaded headband that ties at the back of your head (like
this (http://www.shemahonline.com/beadwork/Headband-NA.jpg)). Those are extremely comfortable, and they hold very well.

Hope this helps!

Nenwing
November 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
When my hair was at that awkward stage that it would get in my face without something holding it back but was too short to put it up in any way, I used with great success the Goody Ouchless headbands. They are the only ones I have been able to use without getting a headache.

They work great, they have rubber on the ends, and the way its molded you can bend the ends out so they don't rub against the backs of your ears.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/goody-ouchless-headband-with-flex-tips/ID=prod4926522-product

You can also get them at Target and Walmart. :)

bedazzlecat
November 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Wide headbands hurt me behind the ears, so I use the skinny ones, and layer them. They tend to sit better on my head than the wide ones. Wide headbands tend to look like I need a bump-it or something to fill in the empty space in the back. LOL

Fingolphin
November 19th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I like the idea of the small braids to keep hair back. Also, when my hair is long, I very often just do a half-up style. And the sunglasses as a headband (at least, when sunglasses are warrented) works quite well, and I have often done this.

nena_shawty
November 19th, 2010, 06:37 PM
yea i dont like the plastic ones with the teeth because it is painful and it they just dont hold my hair good .... i like the cloth ones that go around your whole head:) good luck wid ur hair:D

tinywife
November 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I would definitely recommend an elastic headband. Or you could do a hair wrap in the front, perhaps with thread the same color as your hair if you wanted it to be less obvious. A bandana would also work well.

keepmyhair
November 19th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Yes, the one I have isn't the cloth, stretchy kind, but it also doesn't have any teeth. Sometimes I have to re-adjust it, but the lack of pain makes it worth it. Pic Posted below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Amaryllis_Dance/LeatherHeadband.jpg

Thanks for the pic. It does look nice and comfortable. I think I have seen these somewhere. I will look out for one like this.

david
November 20th, 2010, 04:17 AM
When I was growing out my hair I wore the plastic headbands/alicebands all the time to keep my hair out of my face, especially on windy days. I still wear them every so often now. I too find it hard to get one that doesnt pinch or hurt behind the ears, its really just a case of trial and error. I found the thinner bands pinch less, but you can usually tell if the band will be tight or not because some of them seem to be made quite small with very little stretch in them.

I have on particular headband that I wear all the time, its actually sort of angled away at the end so as it doesnt pinch behind the ears... I think it was a scunci one but it really was a fluke to find it. But just keep trying to find one that has plenty of stretch in it or a cloth type one as pictured above.

keepmyhair
November 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I like the idea of the small braids to keep hair back. Also, when my hair is long, I very often just do a half-up style. And the sunglasses as a headband (at least, when sunglasses are warrented) works quite well, and I have often done this.

I think the braids would work well, but braids in the front just seem very tight. Maybe I will try them when my hair is a bit longer.

Right now I can almost manage a half ponytail, so keeping that till I get a more comfortable haidband.

CrisDee
November 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I'm another one that can't wear headbands of any kind without headaches. And between the slippery-ness of my hair and my stupid pointy cone head, the stretchy cloth ones just slip right off. The only kind I've ever been able to stand and keep on my head for any length of time are bandanas. I fold the bandana into a triangle, then fold it up to about a 2" strip. Being a guy, you could get away with wearing it more like a sweatband, across your forehead - and that might be easier with your glasses as well.

may1em
November 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I have a big head. I cannot tolerate the hard, U shaped headbands. But stretchy, cloth headbands work just fine. Maybe try one of those? Or fold a bandanna into a headband and use that - bonus points for the bandanna looking masculine.

mira-chan
November 20th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I have yet to be able to wear any headband. Plastic or metal ones give me an instant headache. Even cloth ones unless they are really loose give me headaches eventually and the loose ones slip off. Even the thick ones gave me issues when I was attempting to wear them. Where they usually sit is the most sensitive part of my head. I do better with circlet type things.

Though I have stopped trying to wear my hair down so the inability to wear headbands is not really an issue for me anymore.

Bonkers57
November 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I've had this so long I'm not sure where I got it. It might have been JC Penney or some other department store.

Thanks for the pic. It does look nice and comfortable. I think I have seen these somewhere. I will look out for one like this.

Watergallop
November 20th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I'll chime in and agree they're headache-causers. But I'll also say when I studied abroad in Florence in 2005 there were lots of Italian guys with shoulder-length hair who wore headbands, and they were hotties. It was the first time I'd ever seen headbands on guys and I found it extremely sexy. Even though they probably all had headaches :)

keepmyhair
November 24th, 2010, 06:04 AM
I'll chime in and agree they're headache-causers. But I'll also say when I studied abroad in Florence in 2005 there were lots of Italian guys with shoulder-length hair who wore headbands, and they were hotties. It was the first time I'd ever seen headbands on guys and I found it extremely sexy. Even though they probably all had headaches :)

I am sure they had headaches. But if it looks really good then I don't mind putting up with some pain :D

keepmyhair
November 24th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I have not yet found a comfortable headband (but continue looking for them), but a half ponytail with a couple of small bobby pins is helping me keep my hair out of my face.

Hopefully in a few weeks I should be able to tie just the half ponytail without the bobby pins.