PDA

View Full Version : Random thought on dry scalp

inty
November 18th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Often I hear/read that washing your scalp with shampoo more often will only make it more oily.
Wouldn't then washing dry scalp more often make it more oily, that is - less dry and be a cure for dry scalp?!
:confused:

Sorry if this has been discussed before...

Cleopatra18
November 18th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I'm just guessing but a healthy scalp compensates for the frequent shampooing by producing more oils,I dont think a dry scalp will respond the same way since it's unable to produce enough oils in the first place (the sebaceous glands are not functioning well).Interesting point though.

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM
The dry scalp is dry to start with, there's typically an underlying reason for that. Washing a dry scalp lot probably won't help. Gotta find the reason for the dryness and treat that. Washing normally isn't a cure for dryness :)

inty
November 18th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I see... A dry scalp has underlying reason, but, among other possible reasons, could this reason be 'not enough stimulation of oil glands by washing too rarely....'?
Just speculation, of course, I also never heard of anyone treating dry scalp by washing more :)

Igor
November 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I see... A dry scalp has underlying reason, but, among other possible reasons, could this reason be 'not enough stimulation of oil glands by washing too rarely....'?
Just speculation, of course, I also never heard of anyone treating dry scalp by washing more :)

Washing hair shouldn’t stimulate the sebum glands more than, say a good brushing or massaging or general handling and putting hair up

Roscata
November 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Have you tried conditioner only washes?
To me it seems like that would be one of the best alternatives to shampoo, if you have dry scalp.
Article on CO wash (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18)

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Roscate has a good idea with experimenting with CO. If you cannot go that far than I also recommend perhaps trying a non-SLS poo...GL!

littlenvy
November 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Washing hair shouldn’t stimulate the sebum glands more than, say a good brushing or massaging or general handling and putting hair up
I agree.
Dryness can also be do to the weather. The dryer the air around you the more dry your skin/scalp will get.
I do find that a good scalp massage after and in between washing (not before washing, which will have a drying effect) will make my scalp less dry. :)

inty
November 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for your advie and thoughts all!
I don't have dry scalp, my mom does tho. Will give her the hints ;)
Mine is normal and not uncomfortable, or anything, but I am thinking of stretching the washes so advice from littleenvy might come in handy (to massage before wash to get more sebum washed away later).

Useful thing, these random thoughts :D

slythwolf
November 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I wonder if generally not drinking enough water might affect it too. I have dry skin, and if I don't get enough water it gets even worse.

littlenvy
November 18th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Good luck to you and your mom :)

I find that my scalp has a dual personality and just when I think I have it figured out it changes on me. LOL
It usually behaves beautifully in summer months because its humid outside but as soon as the colder weather rolls in it starts to get dry. Which isn't too bad until mid winter when it gets REALLY dry and starts to itch. :rolleyes:
I remember doing a coconut milk deep conditioning once that totally back fired on me.
Its probably my own fault too, I don't think I read the thread about coconut milk just went ahead and applied it to my head and kept it there over night. My hair/head and scalp were beautifully moisturized and the hair was extra shiny. But I think you were supposed to cook the milk or something because the whole thing went rancid and oh boy did that ever SMELL!!! It took me two weeks to get that stench out :poot:
I would wash my hair and it would be fine but by the next day it would smell again. I was not a happy camper even if my scalp was. :p

Juneii
November 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I'd be happy to give some of the oil on my scalp! My hair is too oily :(

Since your mom's scalp cannot produce enough oils, would it work to apply coconut oil (or other kinds of oils) onto her scalp to make up for the loss? (someone correct me if I am wrong!)