PDA

View Full Version : If a person is super tall, will their hair take very long to grow?

Dreamkitty
November 18th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I was watching a documentary about human giants yesterday and it got me thinking, say if a lady about 7 ft 6 tall, wanted to grow their hair long. Would their hair take an extremely long time to reach waist length? for example how many years would it take to reach from APL to waist?:D

Oh and what about the opposite?, human dwarfs can be 79cm. Would that mean their hair would go extremely long in a short space of time?

Calista
November 18th, 2010, 07:45 AM
It would depend on the person´s growth rate.

enfys
November 18th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Assuming they had an average growth rate their hair would need to be longer in inches to appear longer by body landmarks. My DH is no giant, but at 6'1" from the top of his head to his waist is about 9" further than mine.

pepperminttea
November 18th, 2010, 08:27 AM
It'd just take longer, assuming their growth rate was average - more growing in between landmarks.

Carolyn
November 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
It's a question of needing to grow more length to reach the same body point assuming growth rate was equal for both the short and the tall person.

Madora
November 18th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Depends on genes, I'd guess.

AnnaJamila
November 18th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Well it depends on their torso length. I have a friend who's six foot and who's legs come up to my bellybutton but when we sit down my head and torso is taller than hers, even though I'm only 5'6''. So it kind of depends on that. If they have long legs and an average torso then it would take them just as long until they get past classic.

lajsa
November 18th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I should be happy I'm just 5'5'' or thereabouts, then :p

ddiana1979
November 18th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Assuming they have the same growth rate, it would just take longer for the tall person to reach various "milestones", i.e. they have further to go between APL and BSL than a short person.

I'm 5'9". With regards to the *perception* of hair growth, it sucks. Assuming an average growth rate of 0.5" per month, a woman of average stature in the US (5'4") will reach BSL a few months before me. I'd have to go grab a 5'4" woman to do the exact math, but anyway. (Of course ratio of torso to total height can vary by person, but all else being equal. . .)

jojo
November 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Obviously a 3 foot dwarf is going to be super long years before a very tall person!

curlymarcia
November 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I would say that it will take more time grow hair in a tall person. All my petite friends grow their hair faster, even when the rate grow is not higher that average. Also, I had met very few tall women with long hair. Hey some can do it, is possible for all the tall ones!!

Dreamkitty
November 18th, 2010, 11:19 AM
:) I agree that torso length varies from person to person as well as body anatomy and I know that it takes longer to reach your goal length, the taller you are. It was only untill I joined LHC that I found out about this lol. Im taller then my mum and sister by 3 inches but we all have the same hair length (24inch), I always used to think, why hair looked much longer on my mum and sister, people commented on how long my sisters hair had grown but not mine, even though they were the same length which I found quite frustrating. At 5'6 I should be atleast at BSL since im 24 inch but I am still stuck at APL.

I just was curious to look at extreme heights on both ends and compare.

Dwarf to Giant, for the dwarf I guess he/she would have hair trailing on the floor.

And for the giant, hair that is actually long in length might look short.

Here is a photo of the tallest woman in the world. She is 7ft9, how long do you think her hair is?

http://i51.tinypic.com/20htt0k.jpg

sleepingIn
November 18th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Yay, another reason to hate my height :rolleyes:

I am not incredibly tall, but I tower over most at 5'9" (and I usually wear heels putting me at around 6')

I am envious of those who are smaller because yes, it would definitely take them less time to grow their hair long.

That tall woman in the post prior to mine probably has hair long enough to be BSL on a small/average sized woman.

Dreamkitty
November 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM

I am not incredibly tall, but I tower over most at 5'9" (and I usually wear heels putting me at around 6')

I am envious of those who are smaller because yes, it would definitely take them less time to grow their hair long.

That tall woman in the post prior to mine probably has hair long enough to be BSL on a small/average sized woman.

Don't hate your height, its a beautiful height:). I actually would love to be 5'9. My hair is 24inches , and I see I have the same hair length as you and even though im shorter then you by 3 inches, my hair is still at APL which sucks because I wouldn't mind putting up with APL hair if I was 5'9. But im 5'6 and I want my body anatomy to be proportionate with my hair length.

I found it difficult to predict the height on the lady's picture, it looks about shoulder length but you are right, a average height person with her hair will be at BSL.

DecafJane
November 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I'm 6'1" but fortunately I have a growth rate that is a little above average (I think around 2cm or just under 1 inch per month) so while it takes a long time to grow, it isn't impossible to get there.

Haircuts are more likely to stall the growth of the hair of a tall person than their actual height. ;)

Rocket22
November 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM

What I would kill to be tall!!! (well not really kill) 5'9" or 6' would be great!!!! but I guess I say that because I'm a whopping 5'3 :(

Chiara
November 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Yes, I think it would definitely take longer. I'm 5' 8", but have a very long neck (yes, that's what my physio and doctor tell me). It took FOREVER for my hair to grow to my shoulders, but there is actually quite a lot of hair there. Means that by the time it finally got to shoulder length, I could put it up.

darkwaves
November 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
A thought for those who mention here that they are tall, and therefore assume it will take longer for their hair to reach certain body markers...

If your hair is 1a or even 2a, my guess is that you'll reach any marker long before me -- and your growth will appear super speedy compared to those who are 3cs or 4s. (I am, er, not tall. But my hair is curly, and many inches get lost as it dries.)

We're all different. Height, texture, genes. That's what makes us -- and our hair -- unique.

christine1989
November 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Their hair will have the same average growth as anyone else but since they are much taller it would take longer to reach their hair goal.

jojo
November 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
:) I agree that torso length varies from person to person as well as body anatomy and I know that it takes longer to reach your goal length, the taller you are. It was only untill I joined LHC that I found out about this lol. Im taller then my mum and sister by 3 inches but we all have the same hair length (24inch), I always used to think, why hair looked much longer on my mum and sister, people commented on how long my sisters hair had grown but not mine, even though they were the same length which I found quite frustrating. At 5'6 I should be atleast at BSL since im 24 inch but I am still stuck at APL.

I just was curious to look at extreme heights on both ends and compare.

Dwarf to Giant, for the dwarf I guess he/she would have hair trailing on the floor.

And for the giant, hair that is actually long in length might look short.

Here is a photo of the tallest woman in the world. She is 7ft9, how long do you think her hair is?

http://i51.tinypic.com/20htt0k.jpg wow 7 foot 9 APL would be 40"

jojo
November 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'm 6'1" but fortunately I have a growth rate that is a little above average (I think around 2cm or just under 1 inch per month) so while it takes a long time to grow, it isn't impossible to get there.

Haircuts are more likely to stall the growth of the hair of a tall person than their actual height. ;)

Isnt it funny how you visualise people who you have never met, I always thought of you being 5 foot nothing! :) got that wrong!

DecafJane
November 24th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Isnt it funny how you visualise people who you have never met, I always thought of you being 5 foot nothing! :) got that wrong!

:lol: You definitely did! That is hilarious. I am one of the shorter people in my family, so perhaps you got an inkling of that somehow. ;)

I always have the issue that whenever I meet well-known people in real-life, they tend to be a lot shorter than I visualise them to be. If they are actually taller, it makes my day. :cheese:

Tapioca
November 24th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Well... I'm 6'4". Waist was about 35" for me, and I'm at somewhere between tailbone and classic at 41". And yes. It feels like it takes forever, even though my growth rate is about average. It probably doesn't help that I'm a trimmer, but I love my thick even ends.

Sunsailing
November 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM
To the OP.......Yes.

McFearless
November 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Short people have a bit of an advantage in that sense. It takes them a shorter time to reach waist, hip, etc because their body is shorter.

Taller people have to wait longer to get to even APL. At the same time it can also be an advantage. Being at hip and a tall person means you have more hair at say hip than a short person.

Depends on your taste I guess.

Druid of Alba
November 24th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I wonder. Do giant people have faster growth rates? If so, then no, it would take them same amount of time as the rest of us. If not, which I think is the case, then yes, it would take them longer, and, therefore, a dwarf less time.

Speckla
November 25th, 2010, 08:53 AM
They'll have more inches to reach certain goals. But it also depends on their growth rate.
I'm 5'1" and at 30" and reach waist when I pull my hair as straight as it will go.

chargersfan
November 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM
My DD has, I guess it would be hip length hair now, and she reached it very quickly after her last trim, despite the fact that she's still growing. And it's probably b/c she's very short - she's only 4 years old. ;)

May
November 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM
It would take someone who is taller longer and vice versa...

Juneii
November 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Proportionally it will take longer but it's really up to genetics on how fast a person's hair grows :) but yes, it will take less time for a person of shorter stature to reach milestones than someone taller.

bumblebums
November 25th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Yes and no. Even two people of the same height do not have anatomical landmarks at the same points. You might have a longer neck, or a smaller head, or a short waist, or, for a tall person, the height could be mostly in the legs. If you have a very short neck, then APL for you could be the same length in inches as shoulder length for some people. Etc., etc.

[There are a number of polls on this comm that establish correlations between anatomical landmarks and inch length, but unfortunately, I can never figure out how to search for polls.]