PDA

View Full Version : All this time I thought oiling the hair moisturizes it

Meagan
November 18th, 2010, 12:25 AM
...but I thought wrong.
So whats the point of doing hot oil treatments and all that?
What does oil do for the hair exactly?

luxepiggy
November 18th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Keeps it from drying out (^(oo)^)v

Bene
November 18th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I'm not exactly sure, but I use it on damp hair to keep it from getting all frizzy. So maybe it smooths the cuticles and prevents moisture from escaping?

Dreams_in_Pink
November 18th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I've been using oil successfully as a conditioner :shrug: It helps detangle and make hair softer.

ravenreed
November 18th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I use oil on damp hair to try to keep some of the moisture from escaping so quickly. I live in a very dry area.

Roseate
November 18th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Yes, oil doesn't add moisture, but it seals moisture in. Some oils have other properties, like coconut which can help slow down protein loss as well, and castor which can reportedly help with growth, and so on.

sibiryachka
November 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM
...but I thought wrong.
So whats the point of doing hot oil treatments and all that?
What does oil do for the hair exactly?

It depends on what type of oil you're talking about:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74214

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I think some oils actually do add moisture as they are penetrating the hair. For me, oils especially coconut, have made a sizeable difference in the condition of my hair.

spidermom
November 18th, 2010, 09:43 AM
One of the building blocks of healthy hair is essential fatty acids (EFAs). As hair grows long, the ends get so far away from the scalp that the EFAs from the follicle (sebum) never reach them. So we add oil, and of course some of them are better than others. You want one with molecules small enough to be absorbed, like coconut oil (and others). As far as I'm concerned, when we're talking about hair and skin, oil IS moisturizing. Water is essential as well, but you can't treat dry skin or hair merely by soaking it in water or drinking water. You need EFAs, too, both in your diet and applied externally.

ChloeDharma
November 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
One of the building blocks of healthy hair is essential fatty acids (EFAs). As hair grows long, the ends get so far away from the scalp that the EFAs from the follicle (sebum) never reach them. So we add oil, and of course some of them are better than others. You want one with molecules small enough to be absorbed, like coconut oil (and others). As far as I'm concerned, when we're talking about hair and skin, oil IS moisturizing. Water is essential as well, but you can't treat dry skin or hair merely by soaking it in water or drinking water. You need EFAs, too, both in your diet and applied externally.

I very much agree with this. It's not as simple as merely being about water/moisture. EFA's are a vital part of growing long hair, different oils will vary in their benefits. Some are more smoothing and proytective like jojoba oil, some penetrate and help prevent protein loss like coconut. Also it can depend on where you are oiling. For some people they just oil the length, others also oil the scalp so choice of oil will be influenced by those things too.

little_cherry
November 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Oiling the hair keeps the hair from losing moisture and protein. It aides with moisturizing. Some oils do penetrate the hair shaft (coconut, avocado, olive) while others coat the hair. I use a combination of penetrating and non penetrating oils.

Melisande
November 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Oil with water gives moisture and retains it. They work together well, either emulsified or just applied together. My hair continues to prefer oil first, water next. I have no explanation ;-)

Oil alone lubricates the hair, in addition to the other positive effects others have mentioned. It smoothes the hair shaft, discourages tangles and protects the hair from wind, friction and other detrimental influences.

Like our skin, hair needs oil. I find that my hair has made phantastic progress since I began my LHC journey - and oil has been one of its main secrets of success.

BTW, our scalp needs oils as much as the hair shaft. I put jojoba on my scalp, a mixture of coconut, olive and avocado on my lengths.

For combining oil and moisture, try Fox' sheabutter mixture: sheabutter, conditioner and oil. An emulsion with a strong fat percentage. Does wonders for my ends! but too heavy for the rest of my hair.

spidermom
November 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM
BTW, our scalp needs oils as much as the hair shaft. I put jojoba on my scalp, a mixture of coconut, olive and avocado on my lengths. .

My scalp won't need added oil as long as my follicles keep pumping out so much sebum. I'm not as oily as a teenager, but pretty darn close!

Ash
November 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Certain oils have beneficial properties and some penetrate the hair shaft more than others. I think something most people will agree on is that oils help keep moisture in if it is already present. It does seem that there is always a debate on whether oils moisturize or not.

Personally I have found oils to be very drying for both skin and hair so I make sure I only use them on wet hair (and never on skin.) Used like this I am able to gain some benefits, it seems as if the hair shafts are stronger and smoother and there is definitely more shine.

McFearless
November 19th, 2010, 12:02 AM
If used as a pre-wash treatment oil helps prevent over-washing and drying out the hair.