PDA

View Full Version : Pin Curls

shockinglength
November 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Does anyone do pin curls? Will it work with my hair length? How many curls doyou make?

sarah061
November 17th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I used to do them when I was younger! It should work with your length, it'll just take longer to roll up.
My grandma showed me how - she would use very small sections of hair so their would be probably 20 pin curls, each held with 2 bobby pins in an 'X' shape.
If your hair is longer, I think I'd do pretty small sections so that they can still all be held down easily and make nice tight curls!

eternallyverdan
November 18th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I don't know if you've tried other methods, but I find that rag curls are much easier than pin curls if you have longish hair. I do 8-12 of those with a little aloe vera gel as a setter and the curls will stay for days.

Roseate
November 18th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I use a combination of rag and pin curls to get a vintage look. Pincurls alone just take too much time to do a whole headful on my thick hair, so I just do one row of them around the face and then the rest in rags; works well! It comes out looking like this. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2719&pictureid=53324)

Thinthondiel
November 18th, 2010, 03:59 AM
When my hair was about your length I cut it back, partially because it was so hard to create pin curls. At least flat ones - standing curls were easier because I could use larger sections, but I couldn't sleep with those.

If you can manage to do rag curls, I think that will be easier. I don't have any experience with them, though - I tried doing rag curls once, but I didn't get it right, so I just decided to stick with pin curls.

misstwist
November 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
There are several threads on this, some including instructions for standing pin curls on longer hair.

Search using the term pin curls and you should find them.

bluesnowflake
November 18th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I love these! They give me better results than rags ( rags tend to frizz) My hair is fairly thick and waist-length, and I wait until my hair is just damp to curl it. I do ~25 curls if I want ringlety curls and somewhere between 12 and 18 if I want bigger, looser curls. You can experiment to see how many your hair needs. I sleep on them ( covered in a scarf) and take them out in the morning. Don't brush or they frizz terribly- you can just leave them or use a wide-tooth comb.