PDA

View Full Version : For those in colder climates how do you protect your hair?

bunzfan
November 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I live in the north of england by the sea so in November it is freezing :run:and even though i love wearing my hair up in a bun its just not practical when its windy and rainy.

My question is how do others that face a similar climate protect their hair? i have taken to wearing it in a braid when its windy/rainy as i need the wear my hood up and i cant do that with hair forks or sticks do you do the same? if you have any better ideas let me know and do you wear snoods because even wearing a scarf i am still cold.

enfys
November 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have some hoodies that are large enough to accomodate my buns and sticks/forks. Try before you buy; many hoods are too small but even in Miss Selfridge I got one big enough. Also look out for those with a kind of tube around the hood with a cord in that you can pull tight; it stops it blowing off in high wind!

I do occassionally take my hair out, let it fall in a puddle in my hood and put it pack up when I reach my destination.

I think I'm fairly immune to getting a cold head; I just wear a hood if it's raining. I find a scarf around my neck and a pair of gloves to the job.

Another thing, may just be me, but I try to let my hair warm up before styling, to let it get pliable. For example, I'll get to uni, go to the canteen, go up to my floor, pop to the loo then put my hair up. It's more cooperative then, No idea why! Maybe it's like how you'd warm Play-Doh as a child before using it :p

ETA: I live a twenty minute walk from the sea and up a mountain/quarry. It's pretty brutal here too!

wendyg
November 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I do a half-up with a barrette, put my coat on over my hair, and either button up its collar around my neck or wear a scarf. And all my coats have hoods.

I don't try to do buns in mid-winter or braids - the coats mess them up too much.

wg

Kome
November 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I dunno... I live in a very warm climate, but when it IS coldish I tend to wear my hair down as it actually keeps me much warmer. I would think a hair clip like a Ficcare might work better than a fork or stick though.

DreadfulWoman
November 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I have a long scarf that I use when I have my hair up. I put it across my head, crossed in the back, and with the rest of it wrapped around my neck. It does absolutely zilch in terms of protecting my hair, but it keeps my head and ears warm.

When it starts to get really cold this winter, I'm thinking about wrapping my head and hair with a silk scarf first, then putting my winter scarf over that, for a little added protection and warmth.

pepperminttea
November 17th, 2010, 04:08 PM
My last few winters have been spent in Scotland (apart from one in Alaska), so I feel your pain on the cold/wet/windy mix. I use a flat-ish hairtoy, like a ficcare or a barrette, or hair pins. Anything that won't catch, really. Usually in braided styles; then if the wind does decide to blow it's all and takes down most of the style, it's still in a braid.

bunzfan
November 18th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks for all your tips ladies. I am seriously considering getting myself a snood for outside when its just very cold.
I find braids good but because my hair is just past BSL the area round the nape of the neck starts to loosen when wearing hooded tops and jackets guess won't get past this annoying phase till its mid back. I do have a clip similar to a ficcare so may have to try that.

Laululintu
November 18th, 2010, 06:12 AM
When it's really cold (like it was last winter), I wear hair clips or pins in my updos, which allow me to put a hat on and cover my hear, updo and all. Alternatively I'll wear my hair in a braid, and cover most of it with a scarf and my hat.

When the weather is a little milder, I'll wear a calorimetry which allows me much more freedom when it comes to hair toys and styles.

firefly42
November 18th, 2010, 09:06 AM
the snood/beret style hats are my best friend in winter! i tuck all my hair into it loose then bobby pin it to the top of my head. then i can pull a hood or whatever over it for when it's raining or snowing

lajsa
November 18th, 2010, 09:12 AM
If it's really really really cold (I live in the very north of Sweden) I usually wear a braid. Or I put it up with bobby pins, since I usually manage to get my hat down over it. Or I use one of those Buff thingies, but then I have to make sure my bun is high enough so I can get the fabric below it.

aenflex
November 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
When I lived in New England I used a lot of goretex or fleece scarves/hats and just always left my hair under something. It was never out when I was walking or skiing or whatever. Back when my hair was long...sniff...sniff

mariika
November 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
These knitted hats that came in fashion last year are really practical in that dimension:
http://www.beaniehatshop.co.uk/caps-beanie-hats/beanie-hat-shop-in-UK/beanie-hat-0031.jpg
I have one and it's great to wear on updos

Finoriel
November 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I spend a big part of my work day outside and prefer to wear it in a bun because of safety. It gets very cold here, like down to -30C / -22F. Thankfully wind is rare.
When it's that cold I wear hats with ear flaps :laugh: better look silly than freeze off my ears. They allow me to cover my ears and wear a low bun. And I'm in good company with that head-fashion anyways, most people here wear some version of them.
Sometimes when I'm just out for a walk or driving or it's just medium cold I wear a braid + knit hat, beanie, bandana, HAD, cap, felt hat or leather hat or... :lipssealed: :o Yes, I like almost all kinds of hats/headcoverings and have an embarrassing big collection for every weather/occasion.
Hoods sadly don't work for me, they either are too small to fit my bun and constantly slip down or I can't move my head and I don't see much.

Sweet_Decadence
November 18th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I'm up in Scotland and it's baltic up here right now.

I've been wearing big slouchy hats wich have plenty of room to accomedate a bun and big claw clips without looking funny.
You know like this:
http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_570xN.171865371.jpg
It Looks really good with some hair framing the face.

Otherwise I'm doing fake crown braids and just shoving any old hat on. They're not bulky in anyway and are very cute.

Intransigentia
November 18th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I'm following this thread with interest because this will be the first winter I try to be nice to my hair. Besides hats and scarves, what do you do? Do you change your hair care routine?

little_cherry
November 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM
In winter, I always keep my hair oiled and use a polyester satin scarf (they trap in the heat) underneath hoodies and these (http://www.wapitiwoolies.com/hats.htm)....it saved my hair last winter when shoveling 2 driveways with hip deep snow several times in -25 celcius (-13f)

Intransigentia
November 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Those are fantastic hats!

bunzfan
November 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'm following this thread with interest because this will be the first winter I try to be nice to my hair. Besides hats and scarves, what do you do? Do you change your hair care routine?

I have been putting oil on the ends of my hair to protect the ends and then braiding it.

Thanks for all the great tips . I particularly like that hat sweet -decadence it might just work if my hair was braided i know what you mean about how cold it is I'm not far from Scotland and its freezing here!

I also like your hat little -cherry but i was worried about me looking stupid in it i used to wear these baker boys hats http://www.marksandspencer.com/Girls-Limited-Baker-Gloves-Wool/dp/B003V1C8A0 but i don't think i could fit a bun underneath it :( which is a shame as i think that could look really stylish...

Armelle
November 18th, 2010, 03:22 PM
In winter, I always keep my hair oiled and use a polyester satin scarf (they trap in the heat) underneath hoodies and these (http://www.wapitiwoolies.com/hats.htm)....it saved my hair last winter when shoveling 2 driveways with hip deep snow several times in -25 celcius (-13f)

How do you wear the satin scarf?

And...are those animals doing what they appear to be? :D I like the pattern!

Ludde
November 24th, 2010, 08:40 AM
It gets really cold here in winter. I oil, which help a lot, and I use buffs when it is reasonably cold and a silk scarf (made of three lenghts so it is about 5 feet long) wrapped around all of the hair and a wool scarf outside that when it less ok.

bluesnowflake
November 24th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I braid it and tuck it up under my hat or just get a hat big enough to cover a bun.

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 04:02 AM
In Canada with hip length:
Wear a hat, it protects against wetness. Oil, for moisture. Don't wear it out, it gets every wear wile putting on a winter coat.

mneh
January 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I have below shoulder length, wavy/curly hair, with shorter layers in the canopy. This is my first winter of wearing my hair in it's natural texture and so far I'm sticking with half-ups and I'm using a mix of slouchy beanie or beret hats, oversized snoods, and a new coat that has a hood. My great MIL knitted me two calorimetries, for when my hair is long enough for proper updos, and a hooded-scarf. I'm feeling prepared coverings-wise but I'm still a bit clueless hair-products-wise. I'm hoping to pick up tips.

AuburnAlight
January 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I don't think about it very much.. during frost I just tuck it under a scarf and and wear a woolly hat. :)

Tressie
January 14th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I don't usually have much of a problem here in the southern US, but we have had two snows this year, Christmas day and last Sunday. The snow is still on the ground, and the temps have been in the teens at night.........brrrrr!

The main problem I have been having is static!! I try to put my hair up when and where it is warm, and use two ficcares. I have put my large hood on my coat up and wrapped a scarf around my neck. I hope I haven't done any damage trying to comb the crackling length!

Off topic, but my skin is dry as dust too, but I tried baby oil after a bath on moist skin and it has helped some! Maybe we need to oil our hair a little before combing? I did use a dryer sheet on my comb one day, but it didn't help a great deal.

Wish I could offer more help! (o:

Anywhere
January 14th, 2011, 06:09 PM
bunned and in a hat for winter. I don't dare risk getting it wet and having it freeze on me. :eek:
when its less chilly I might braid it but usually it's up and hidden by a hat if its cold.

pepperedmoth
January 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Huh. I've lived in New England all my life, where it gets quite cold (currently I live in northern Vermont, near the mountains, where it gets even colder), and I've never seen it as an issue. My hair is always up, and I buy hats big enough to stuff it under. I have quite a collection. Then I bundle up like anyone else.

I guess I just don't use hairsticks or anything like that in the winter, since they do poke through hats. But I have a Ficcare and Amish hairpins, and those do fine.

starlights
January 14th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I live in London and generally when i go out i tie my hair up and wear a hat to protect my hair from the wind and rain. Seems to work. Mustard oil is great to use in the winter for hair and keeps the hair looks and feeling smooth

milagro
January 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Most my coats and jackets have a hood and I always flip it on. My favorite one is fur-linen and it feels warm and very gentle to hair as well. If it is very cold I put on wool hat. I never leave home with my hair wet or damp and usually put it up. That's about protection but I find my hair (and skin) suffer more from central heating within than cold weather outside. Humidifier helps a little but does not eliminate the problem :(

jlw9222
January 15th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I live in a very cold climate and my hair is always tucked inside my coat (and a scarf) during the winter. This protects it from the cold and the wind. I like to leave my hair down so I just button it up under my coat to protect it to and from work. :)

I do need to put more leave-in conditioner on my hair during the winter...static is always an issue along with the effects of extreme cold weather. :)