PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick ONE thing

Eireann
November 17th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I know it's impossible to do, but if you had to pick one thing you learned at LHC that made the most difference on your hair journey, what would it be?

For me it was learning that you DON'T have to trim your hair every 6 weeks! It was so liberating!

littlenvy
November 17th, 2010, 01:03 PM
For me it would be: DO NOT fear oils!! Oils and hair DO mix :cheese: and work every well together.

Intransigentia
November 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
You DON'T have to use clarifying shampoo every time to get your hair clean.

ddiana1979
November 17th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Henndigo. :)

Kome
November 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Henna... I love the color and it really healed my hair from bleachings and dyings. I love it! Thanks LHC! :D

spidermom
November 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
CWC with diluted shampoo to scalp only (most of the time). What a revelation!

firefly42
November 17th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Wow, one thing? that's hard...i'd have to say dying my hair with Henna rather than chemical dyes...

princessp
November 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Silk pillowcase/hair-cap

ETA: I probably would have picked henna too but I actually found this place while hennaing my hair. So while I get henna tips here I technically dyed the first time before joining LHC.

Roscata
November 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Castor oil = fast growth and minimal shedding.

Sooze
November 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Oiling for me too. Had always believed VO5 hot oil was the only thing, and didn't work at all well for me.

Joined LHC, discovered Coconut oil, Jojoba oil and EVOO and am hooked. It's made the biggest single difference to my hair, and meant I can stop wasting shedloads of cash on conditioners that do nothing. I'm celebrating my curls for the first time in 4 years. :D

enfys
November 17th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I cheated and speant years on hair forums before I joined here.

What I think has been my biggest revelation purely from LHC has been virgin coconut oil, closely followed by SMTs.

My biggest general hair revelations have been CWC and Feye's trimming.

Dyefree
November 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Far too many to list, the biggest thing that's made the most difference is quitting the heat styling....

or the coconut/castor/ EVOO oilings
or the CWC
or not ripping a brush through my hair
or going SLS free
or going dye free.....
or using a silk pillowcase.....
or protective up do's........

meh I'll be here forever at this rate! My poor, poor abused hair.... :o

Jenn of Pence
November 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Figuring out that dry, crunchy, velcro ends can be rehabilitated and prevented instead of chopping them off! That's the single reason I never gained any length past mid-back in, like 15 years of having long hair. It never even crossed my mind that you could do anything to keep ends healthy....I thought they just always got that way, and if you were lucky you'd grow ever so slightly more than you had to keep trimmed off two or three times a year. Now I've been seven months without a trim without need of one in the near future!

ravenreed
November 17th, 2010, 01:52 PM
ACV rinses. My scalp is sooo happy since I started doing those.

AnnaJamila
November 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Um, um, um...?!?! I can't decide!!!! Haha, that's pretty good seeing as I've only been here half a month... But I guess I'd have to say conditioner only washing. It's made the biggest difference! Though in three months when I see how long my hair is I might have to say the monistat! I would NEVER have tried that if it wasn't for this site; I consider my self pretty savvy when it comes self care and beauty regimines but I'd never even heard a whisper about that one...

jojo
November 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
my hair doesnt need heat to look nice!

lapushka
November 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Benign neglect. It'll be long in no time.

Kathie
November 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Oiling. My hair loves oils... mostly olive oil. Oiling is great because it actually works, my hair feels soft and moisturized. It works way better than the leave in conditioners I use to use.

cmnt831
November 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
My hair needs moisture and more moisture to look it's best. It was so dried out before I found this site.... :rolleyes:

<3OnHerSleeve
November 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I think what has helped is verifying what I already suspected about how damaging chemical treatments of all kinds are to my hair and all the threads that are devoted to challenging people such as myself to not do an aweful lot of things :)

Calaelen
November 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Seriously, no one has said Monistat yet? That's the one for me. I'd have NEVER thought of that on my own(in fact, about 1000 posts were added to the thread before I caved, and tried it), and wow does it work! I've also spread the word and have some very unlikely candidates trying it. :)

BrightEyes7
November 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Wide tooth combs... so simple yet so genius!

Tia2010
November 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Well I haven't been here long but so far the biggest thing I have learned from this site is to use silk pillow cases..... ( followed closely by SMT's , a few oils I had not heard of like camellia , that my shampoo contained proteins and too much can be bad for my hair , and to love my hair)

OK that's more than one but technically silk pillow cases is the *one* thing I learned :D

SpinDance
November 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Oy! Only one thing!? Probably how to do buns with a hairstick/fork. In fact, updo instructions is how I found LHC. Thank goodness! Next would be no-seam forks/combs, CWC, oils/Panacea, and most recently success with CO.

growing2shine
November 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
:hmm: After thinking very hard about it, im gonna say SMT! That stuff has saved my hair!!! :D

sibiryachka
November 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Vinegar rinsing. It's cured my itchy scalp, and helps keep the length happy. I'm grateful to have found my miracle cure, but when I think about the years of misery and frizz and product-chasing, when fergodsakes old-wives'-tale vinegar would have done the job, I could cry.

Irnann
November 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
The best thing i have lerned from here is oiling on damp hair:-)

terrylillyd
November 17th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I'm pretty new but what I have mostly learned is that all hair is different and there are so many different ways, methods to care for your hair you have to find what works for you.

Aredhel77
November 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
That my hair loves oils (esp. coconut and avocado) and scalp massages, and actually seems to grow a fair bit quicker than I thought (I've almost hit BSL!)

Kaijah
November 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Conditioner AND oils as leave ins at the same time.

pepperminttea
November 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Using a combination of gentle finger-combing and a wooden comb to detangle, rather than a brush. I think that's been what's reduced my day-to-day damage the most.

triumphator!
November 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
You don't need shampoo to have clean hair!

CO WASHING FOR LIFE! :guns:

Stephichan
November 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I'm going to second the updo comment. Learning how to use hairsticks and how to accomplish certain styles is definitely something I appreciate.

luxepiggy
November 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
CO washing!

teela1978
November 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Benign neglect. It'll be long in no time.
Yup. Ignore your hair for a while and it'll be really long all of a sudden.

GrowingGlory
November 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
My hair loves NightBlooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil!
And her Winter Blend Treatment, too!
And I learned to value my hair enough to buy a high quality hair brush for it,
and to use it every morning.
I learned to demand certified organic ingredients in my shampoo and conditioner.
I learned that I don't really need styling products.
I learned to accept my hair: its color, texture, thickness and length, as it is.
I learned that benign neglect is my hair's best friend.
I learned that my hair is best nourished from within.

Nae
November 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Coconut oil, can't live without it!

embee
November 17th, 2010, 05:16 PM
How to use a hairstick, no question about it. I was using barrettes to hold my hair up before, and now one stick will work even better all day long. :)

RachieBaby
November 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
COCONUT OIL :D I would never have dreamt of putting this on my hair till LHC! :D

trillcat
November 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty new but what I have mostly learned is that all hair is different and there are so many different ways, methods to care for your hair you have to find what works for you.
Yes this. :flowers:
Read and learn, always. This hair growing journey is not a one way street, lots of curves and hairpin (ha) turns and traffic coming back at ya.
My hair has been saved by this board just from the vast knowledge of others.

Madame J
November 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Benign neglect. I've been lurking on tLHC for a few months now, not posting much, and not really thinking much about my hair. Guess what? It's still growing and it still looks good because I just wash it gently and not very often and put it up in a gentle updo most of the time.

tinywife
November 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I learned that I can have long hair too!! Because even my thin, easily damaged hair can look nice if I take care of it.

CrisDee
November 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Wow, I've learned SO much on this board! Hmmm, to pick one...

Henna - nope, did that before I joined

Hairsticks - did those before I joined as well

Oil - don't use a lot of it on my hair just yet, it's still awfully short, but I use it everywhere else! My skin LOOOVES coconut oil!

Satin pillowcase - nice :)

Not to riiipppp a comb or brush through my hair to avoid damage - hmmm, my mom told me that back in the 60's, but I didnt' listen...

Probably the one thing that's made the biggest difference for me is to stop using the blow fryer and the curling iron. Keeping heat off my hair - that's got to have made the biggest difference so far.

But it's only a little past chin length - I'll hafta find this thread in a couple years when my hair's decently long and revisit the issue! :D

liagibba
November 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM
CO washing is by far the best thing that I've gleaned from LHC thus far. Coconut oil and not using heat for styling come in a close 2nd and 3rd. :)

lundmir
November 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Coconut oil as protection from peroxide. I'd have my dream, long silver/white hair by now if I had discovered it years ago...

Debra83
November 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM
cwc with garnier fructis triple conditioner

Ntaark
November 17th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I haven't been here very long, but so far it's the CWC!

HintOfMint
November 17th, 2010, 11:18 PM
S&D with hair scissors. Otherwise I'd be running to the hairdresser whenever I saw a split, and if I saw splits higher up, I would cut my ENTIRE length to that level.

Captain Nikki
November 18th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Probably CO washing.

Captain Nikki
November 18th, 2010, 12:15 AM
CO washing

juliaxena
November 18th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Hair toys :D. Hey that's not plural is it?

brunette
November 18th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I cannot believe that nobody has said Indian Herbs! I had so much trouble with my hair and scalp before I switched to herb washing. I thought my long hair was destined to be a frizz ball, and my scalp an itchy dry flaky mess for ever!

Issmene
November 18th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Using conditioner basically, before I always though it would make my hair greasy (I had tried Pantene Ice Shine or something). Oh, how wrong was I.. xD

linnepinne
November 18th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I would have to say tolerance :)

I've learned that every hair is different, unique and wonderful in its own way. Mine too!
This insight gives me hope and happiness and it makes me enjoy my hair journey so much more.

serious
November 18th, 2010, 04:32 AM
CO wash!!!

janeytilllie
November 18th, 2010, 05:01 AM
For me scalp washes are the best thing I have learnt for my hair. :D

My scalp gets very greasy quickly while my length is fragile. For ages I struggled with stretching washes to once a week. My scalp was really unhappy.

This method is working so well. I scalp wash 2x times a week and do my CWC once a month. I can now keep my scalp happy and my length. I'm also saving money on my conditioners :cheese:

smileycat
November 18th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Oiling. Everything else I started before LHC, though I changed my routine after learning some things here.

GRU
November 18th, 2010, 06:49 AM
You don't need shampoo to have clean hair!

CO WASHING FOR LIFE! :guns:
CO washing!
CO washing is by far the best thing that I've gleaned from LHC thus far.
CO washing
CO wash!!!

I was going to say "me too!" but I guess I should really say "me six!"! :p

CO-washing (and detangling while doing so) is the biggest difference-maker for my hair.

spitfire511
November 18th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Great thread!

I'd have to say it's learning that there are supermarket products I can use on my hair! The lists and info here are so well organized it's just invaluable (and money-saving!!)

Anisaa
November 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
S&D has been very valuable for me..<3

CaityBear
November 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hmm...I think I might have to say henna...because I LOVE the color so much!! :) My hair was fading out of the chemical dye from before and for the most part my hair wasn't too damaged from chemical dyes, but I love the red I get from the henna so I'll use that as the reason that makes me choose it. lol

I've learned SO much about hair and love to spread the word. I've actually talked to quite a few girls about hair and how to get it towards healthy again and about henna, etc. People always ask where I learned it...and I ALWAYS say LHC. lol I've learned pretty much everything from here. :)

feralnature
November 18th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Coconut oil has changed my life!

Loreley
November 18th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Oiling! My hair loves oil!:D

jackiesjottings
November 19th, 2010, 08:16 AM
For me it has been finding a community of like minded people where no-one minds how often we talk about hair.. cos that is what the community is all about :)

Topaz
November 19th, 2010, 08:23 AM
That's tough, because I've learned so many great methods of hair care here. But if I have to pick just one, I'd say CO washing. My hair has never been happier since I started that!

lw8666
November 19th, 2010, 10:36 AM
CWC and Shampooing scalp only has helped me greatly.

But No Trimming has been by far, the greatest advice I've learned here! I do not have to go to my hair stylist every couple months because it isn't even necessary for me. Its also been saving me hundreds of dollars! :) Id still be stuck at chin length if it wasn't for the no trimming!

LocustSpawning
November 19th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I'd say oiling, but then if I wasn't encouraged to cut off the damage when I first joined LHC, oiling would be pretty useless on totally destroyed hair. So I guess... the fact that LHC has taugt me that damage has to go.. is the most valuable thing I've gained from here.

YesitsReal
November 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
The overall washing method is what's made a huge difference for me--learning to apply shampoo only to my scalp and conditioner only to my length, and to wash every few days instead of every day. I would never have even gotten to BSL with my fine, tangly hair if I had been drying it out with washing as much as I used to.

Igor
November 19th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Leave in conditioners. No doubt

Uni&Corn
February 25th, 2011, 06:35 PM
You don't have to shampoo your hair every day. In fact, you probably shouldn't. It made a world of different in my dry, parched hair.

ScarlettAdelle
February 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not alone in loving long hair. Even if it IS out of fashion, I'm not strange for liking my hair to be more than 1/3 the length of my body.

slz
February 25th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I cannot believe that nobody has said Indian Herbs!
I think I'd say this, too.

Chamomile betty
February 25th, 2011, 06:48 PM
No heat. I knew teasing was bad and I stopped that quickly. It was giving up blow drying at night and hot rolling daily that made the biggest impact. I always thought I had straight hair until I gave up the heat tools.

MissCoco
February 25th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hmm, tough to choose... probably herbal washing (that makes three of us, slz and brunette!). I knew a little bit about Indian herbs before coming on here (I already knew about oiling since a year ago, about), but I would've been way too scared to try it out before. Now I use shikakai, amla and reetha and it's working wonderfully! :)

Then I would have to add how LHC encouraged me to stop heat styling, doing things like "no trimming for 2011", protective styling, trying out organic products, etc. Thank you, LHC! :flower:

PrincessTieflin
February 25th, 2011, 07:00 PM
CO washing... wow that was a miricale...

krissykins
February 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Treating your hair gently. Wooden comb = :heart:

boudica
February 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Knowing that I'm not the only one with a core deep mistrust of hair salons or their products! I think that's been the biggest thing for me.

Finding out that the curly ends that are all down the length of my hair is new growth and not damage.

Silk pillowcase - understanding mechanical damage and am still learning how to avoid it.

Treating my hair gently - with the aim not to have knots ever.

LadyG
February 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
One? Only one? Nooo....

Well, if I Have to choose. Oiling.
But then, wooden combs
Oh, and SMT, ACV, Vitamins, Hair forks/sticks, Updo's, Silk pillowcase, Caloimetries, and, and,and

mumto2
February 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
So many things! How to use hairsticks and CWC equally probably the biggest change - such a difference! :D

Yamainu
February 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM
It's equally split between using a silk pillow case, and using a hairstick.

My hair is fine, and tangles if you look at it the wrong way, and so all of my damage was mechanical (from me ripping out my tangles with a brush/comb/fingers). Even after joining, and learning how to use a wide tooth comb slowly, from the bottom... there was still ripping.

So for me the most important thing is PREVENTING the tangles. The silk pillowcase eliminated my morning rats nests, and a hairstick and nautilus bun got me putting my hair up on a daily basis (I could barely do a braid, and buns were disasters since I only knew about bobby pins).

It's a miracle I got to BSL at all without LHC!

ladylovecraft
February 25th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Eee... That's really hard. As I haven't officially henna'd my hair yet, I'm going to have to go with coconut oil. My hair LOVES this stuff. As I'd used EVOO with meh results before, I thought oils were okay but nothing fantastic. CO makes a world of difference on my hair.

Cirafly24
February 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Updos!!

Before LHC, all I knew how to do with my hair was leave it down, or put it in a ponytail. That was the extent of my updo knowledge. Now, I can do 10+ different buns, and 5 kinds of braids! Plus, I learned about all the different types of hairtoys :crush:

Runners up: not ripping through knots, satin sleep cap, and not piling my hair on top of my head to wash it (*shudder*)

Kat Girl
February 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I discovered and like coconut oil. Also I learned that I can CO wash (though not alot).

I also learned that I don't need layers. After having had layers for many years, I finally decided to get rid of them and do a blunt hemline. By doing that I realized that layers do NOT make one's hair appear thicker and my actual hair is much thicker and fuller than I had imagined.

princess03
February 25th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Seriously, no one has said Monistat yet? That's the one for me. I'd have NEVER thought of that on my own(in fact, about 1000 posts were added to the thread before I caved, and tried it), and wow does it work! I've also spread the word and have some very unlikely candidates trying it. :)

I cant find what Monistat is can someone please tell me? I did a forum search but can't find anything. also what is SMT i'm kind of new here.

Thanks!

Taur5684
February 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
That there are more washing methods than just "Shampoo then Condition". Seriously, CWC has made all the difference for me.

I'm still a n00b so there are still a lot of things I need to try, but right now? That's my favorite thing :-)

cinemax
February 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I've learned alot since I joined but learning that when I do an oil treatment on my hair, conditioner will remove it!!! Used to have to wash my hair twice to get the oil out.

cinemax
February 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I cant find what Monistat is can someone please tell me? I did a forum search but can't find anything. also what is SMT i'm kind of new here.

Thanks!

Monistat is an over the counter medication for yeast infections.
Not sure what SMT is. You could do a search and find out.

Thinthondiel
February 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
That it was sulphates that caused my scalp to flake. And to think that for years, I assumed I had dandruff and couldn't understand why no dandruff shampoos worked for me. :rolleyes:

Roscata
February 25th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Thanks!

Everything you need to know about Monistat: http://www.hairgrowth.5u.com/

Everything you need to know about SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

:D

Lianna
February 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Proof that hair can grow faster. Because everywhere in real life is that we can't. I know it's not limited to monistat, but since I have to pick one thing...monistat, since it's what works better for me (more growth).

ETA: Well, I actually knew we could, because of other hair boards I used to read (I was using topical vitamin A), but monistat is my favorite now.

Yamainu
February 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I also learned that I don't need layers. After having had layers for many years, I finally decided to get rid of them and do a blunt hemline. By doing that I realized that layers do NOT make one's hair appear thicker and my actual hair is much thicker and fuller than I had imagined.

THIS. My hair is actually medium thickness, when I spent my whole life thinking it was crazy thin, and wondering why little pieces were always poking out of my hairstyles...

Luna12345
February 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I'm so glad that i learned cones don't actually moisturize or help the health of hair in any way and coconut oil is my hairs best friend now thanks to LHC:)

sakuraemily
February 25th, 2011, 11:40 PM
It made me return to coconut oil.

Ravenne
February 25th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Putting loads of conditioner on your scalp is a GOOD thing for me! Contrary to everything I was ever told by hairstylists and those who "know" hair.

Lianna
February 26th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'm so glad that i learned cones don't actually moisturize or help the health of hair in any way and coconut oil is my hairs best friend now thanks to LHC:)

The bolded is not quite true. They do help the health of the hair protecting from excessive mechanical damage/heat damage. Now cone build up is never good, but isn't this way with any kind of build up? While oils are good too (and can be used together with cones), cones can help in a different way, because there's people who do benefit from the weight cones provide.

I only said anything because you made a general statement, it's fine if your hair doesn't "like" cones, but they do have benefits.

ETA: My hair doesn't "like" coconut oil, for instance. It's said that's because it's build up (which I agree), but then, only one fingernail means build up for me then (which I also agree). My hair builds up really fast on protein and coconut oil.

varintalonguard
February 26th, 2011, 02:34 AM
coconut oil means = no dusting needed to keep my ends happy!

lastnite
February 26th, 2011, 03:42 AM
believe it or not... someone gave a tip of sharpening scissors on a glass bottle... now I can sharpen up my scissors when ever I need to s&d or do a trim, something I learned that will probably last me a life time and really save my hair from dull scissors.

close second would have to be all the henna and Indian and western herb washes, oils, and even catnip!

oh, and I haven't tried monistat YET, but that maybe a great secret I learned here... ok..I'm not really picking one, am I? :)

pink.sara
February 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
That sometimes I really do need to clarify.
(And that clarifying saves hair I otherwise felt I needed to cut!)

princess03
February 26th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Everything you need to know about Monistat: http://www.hairgrowth.5u.com/

Everything you need to know about SMT: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

:D

Thank you! I had actually googled monistat and thought well that can't be for hair lol

annieangel149
February 26th, 2011, 11:09 AM
discovering how much my hair loves sweet almond oil!!

close second is discovering monistat!

as much as hair growth with monistat has been great! there is no point in having long hair if its in bad condition which is why i put oil at no 1! :D

Ais
February 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Being brutal and only picking a single thing it'd have to be CWC :) Obviously there's so much more, like S&D, oils, general treatment on my hair, dispelling on hair myths.. The list is extensive!

Roscata
February 26th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Thank you! I had actually googled monistat and thought well that can't be for hair lol

You're welcome! :D

Malaguena
February 26th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'd say I learned to appreciate the natural-ness of hair - I suddenly realized I don't need to do all manner of things to my hair to look acceptable. That I can grow long, natural hair and I don't have to really do anything.

maddog_running
February 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM
CO I guess to start (before LHC I didn't use conditioner AT ALL) so um, radical difference.

Then Henna, omgosh, the COLOUR *swoon*.

OperaTeacherMom
February 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Henna, but only because I found out about co-washing before I found LHC :)

HeatherJenae
February 26th, 2011, 03:59 PM
One hundred percent coconut oil. My ravaged dry hair is soft as silk now. I wonder if the coconut oil industry knows that hair obsessed women are funding it? :)

WaitingSoLong
February 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I'll add mine since this thread is still around.

Hands down the best thing I have learned from LHC is that it is OK not to wash your hair every day. Or even every other day.

Washing my hair really caused a lot of hair loss due to detangling and aggravation which kept me from wanting to grow my hair out. I only wash once or twice a week now. If I had to wash daily, I would cut my hair. It is too much work and madness.

skydancer7
February 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Wide tooth combs! Banish the bristle brush!

Adamia
February 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Coconut oil :-)

clairenewcastle
February 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Catnip.
Catnip.
Catnip.
Need I say more?

Chia Pet
February 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I don't have to use shampoo to have clean hair! It's a miracle! I'm free of one more consumer product.

nena_shawty
February 26th, 2011, 07:35 PM
that i could wash my hair with conditioner and not have oily hair.. when i use conditioners to wash my hair ...it make my hair so shiny and soft and not oily at all

wavykisses
February 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM
So many things I learned is difficult to pick only one.
I think for me will be how cones and claryfing works

abbatabba1137
February 26th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Just ONE!? Ummmmm, I would have to say coconut oil, or rather oils in general are great for protecting hair.

Then, because one just seems so lonely, I would have to marvel at how wood combs have changed my life! Good-bye broken ends, hello soft hair! Not to mention the fact that they gave me back a relationship with my hair. I enjoy combing/taking care of my hair. Pride isn't always bad...

Aarlene
February 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM
One thing only??
CWC

Aurantia
February 26th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Protein is the enemy! :tmi:

hazelnut
February 26th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Wow, just one thing? Hmmm.... I'd have to say that the most important thing that I've learned is that just leaving your hair alone and not manipulating it all of the time actually helps it to grow to its full potential.

CavyQueen
February 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM
What silicones are and what good/bad they do. Thank you!!!!!

jlw9222
February 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Wow! One thing? I would say MSM. I heart MSM. :) It has made such a difference in shedding.

morecowbell
February 27th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I'm gonna chime in with the chorus and shout: CO WASHING! ;)
Before LHC, I hardly thought about my coarse porous hair's need for moisture, so I just used the cheapest conditioner possible after shampooing the entire length (and conditioner only went on the last three-four inches). The turnaround in how my hair feels is 180 degrees! :)

CAPA7
February 27th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Coconut oil!

kschr2004
February 27th, 2011, 08:15 AM
That I can hold my hair up in a bun with just one clip or fork. If it's a Ficcare, or a heavy duty fork like a Grahtoe! Made all the difference in growing my hair long. :)

Rivanariko
February 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Stop ripping a brush through it three times a day!

And wearing it up, but I think those go together because wearing it up allowed me to stop ripping a brush through it three times a day :D

Yamainu
February 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Stop ripping a brush through it three times a day!

And wearing it up, but I think those go together because wearing it up allowed me to stop ripping a brush through it three times a day :D

This made me laugh out loud. :laugh:

dreamerx6
February 27th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Hands down: oils. I've become somewhat of an oil expert :p

elbow chic
February 28th, 2011, 12:14 AM
so hard to choose. I think the big one is the idea that wet hair should be treated with extra care-- I used to "pile" the hair in the shower, lather it up into knots, matt it up in a towel, and then impatiently rip a brush through it. I could hear hair snapping!

Shudder.

Jeno86
February 28th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Henna! If I had only known about henna and used it to dye my hair black, I would have classic by now....so sad.

milagro
February 28th, 2011, 12:20 AM
CO wins by far. Next is vinegar rinse.

That it was sulphates that caused my scalp to flake. And to think that for years, I assumed I had dandruff and couldn't understand why no dandruff shampoos worked for me. :rolleyes: my experience exactly!

fairystar32
February 28th, 2011, 12:43 AM
coconut oil

hanne jensen
February 28th, 2011, 12:50 AM
To know what my scalp and hair likes/hates and treat them accordingly.

Maelyssa
February 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I learned that common sense SHOULD have told me that if a styling tool's heat was enough to burn my skin & singe my scalp, how could it not be damaging my hair?!

freckles
February 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
conditioner. And I don't mean CO, I just mean -- you know, using conditioner AT LEAST after every shampoo. Now I use it before every shampoo, too, and a LOT of it. Not gonna lie, before LHC I had conditioner filed away in my head in the 'things the beauty industry wants to convince you to buy, but you don't really need' category, along with anti-aging cream and false eyelashes. :o I conditioned sometimes, a little bit, but if I ran out, I certainly didn't make buying more conditioner a priority. I mean, my hair felt 'clean' after just shampoo, so what can conditioner possibly be for? :lol:

No wonder I was ripping my plastic brush through killer tangles!!

My tangle teezer is also amaaaazing, though. But I still think I have to put conditioner first.