PDA

View Full Version : Brushing Hair

greenwood2010
November 17th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Some hair care experts say that brushing hair is a bad idea. Does anyone else think that brushing is not good for hair?

For those who think brushing is good for hair, what types of brushes do you recommend?

Angelica
November 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi, I think the general opinion here is that brushing is bad for the hair. Strangely enough though I took up brushing since joining here. I wanted to remember what it felt like and it feels good. I believe that brushing can stimulate the scalp a little and this was the basis of the "myth" of a hundred strokes of the brush in the olden days.

I don't use any of the recommended brushes. Would never use a boar brush as I think it looks as if something I would groom a dog with and I don't imagine boars being very happy that their bristles are used. Nor do I like the plastic Denam brushes that are recommended.

I just use a brush from a dressing set that I purchased from Past Times in the UK. It looks similar to the very old fashioned silver brushes but is minus the real bristles.

I have also used a baby brush on occasions because my hair is so fine.

firefly42
November 17th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I brush! i use the wooden bristled brush from the body shop...it's my favorite!

Sammich
November 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I brush, tangle teezer, woo! :D Really... the general opinion of LHC is what is best for YOUR hair. Some people here prefer brushing to combing and it works well for them. I've seen it both ways.
Brushing smooths my hair and reduces static for me. :) No damage whatsoever, at least from what I know. :p

princessp
November 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Well when you have hair like this:
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/6oct26small.jpg
And when you brush it it looks like this:
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/nov15brushedfrizzyhairsmall.jpg

Brushing is probably not a good idea! :laugh: I just got my tangle teezer in that pic and brushing felt good. With that said, I do brush my hair when I wash it (to help distribute conditioner and eliminate tangles).

Mairéad
November 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Depends. My hair rarely needs anything beyond being combed with my fingers while wet. I tend not to brush my hair because it usually makes what waviness I do have vanish.

ddiana1979
November 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I think a lot of people with straight hair brush. I do, with a soft boar bristle brush. I only use it to distribute oils (usually coconut or olive) or smooth a hairstyle. For everything else, I use a wide-toothed comb.

enfys
November 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I brush with a Tangle Teezer now, and before that with a paddle brush.

Combs and I do not get along; combing is a last resort as it causes breakage unless I'm coned to the hilt.

Different (brush) strokes for different folks.

nemileo
November 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I brush too, with an old extantion-brush from the hairdresser. It has natural fiber, and reduce static hair and distribute oils good. And it detangles my hair carefully. Coumbs work like a razor in my hair, it just chop it all off. Horrible....

Finger coumbing and brushing is thumbs up for me :cool:

hairobsessed1
November 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I think brushing is good if
1. you have straiht or wavy hair
2. your hair doesnt damage easily.

my hair is quite curly about 3a/b and brushing ruins my hair, so i finger comb and wide tooth comb.
I do brush very rarely- about once a month to get rid of any major tangles, also i find brushing once in a while reduces knots in my hair.
if i could brush i definitely would- spreading the natural oils is very beneficial, but i am glad that i have realised and accepted that i cant- i see loads of women on my uni campus who brush their hair, and their hair obviously doesnt like it.

CarpeDM
November 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
My hair is fine and thin in the scalp area so when I use a bbb, I get more body and fullness which is something desperately needed. I have two mp bbb's that I have been pretty happy with (one for home and one for the purse). I have used other bbb for years but the mp gives me more body and isn't so hard on my scalp.

Tia2010
November 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
After a shower I detangle using my fingers followed by a wooden wide tooth comb and let it dry ( but I just googled the *tangle teezer* i read about in this thread so I may try that soon :D )

Then at night I usually gently brush through my hair with a paddle brush to distribute the natural oils and because it feels good on my scalp. I haven't noticed any damage from it. I also will brush my hair before I shower to make sure its tangle free.

Madora
November 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
George Michael, world renowned "Czar of Long Hair" (maestro of long hair care), recommended brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush, every morning, right after you got up.

His regimen was 100 strokes per day BUT to begin slowly and work up to that amount. Say, 25 strokes a day, adding 5 more per day until you reached 100.

The boar bristle brush is made of hair which understands the structure of your hair.

The Way you brush can drastically affect the quality of your hair.

He recommended bending at the waist, and letting your hair fall in front of you, like a curtain. (Do NOT flip it forward, that only engenders snarls!).

Make sure you finger comb - then take a wide tooth comb and gently take a few strands. Use the wide tooth comb and working from the bottom of the strand upwards, comb a small section, then go a little further up the strand and comb again, and so forth, until you reach the scalp. Repeat until all your hair is thoroughly combed.

The thing with brushing is, you DO NOT just begin to brush. Get rid of the mats/snarls/tangles first!

With your hair thorougly combed out, take your brush and brush your hair slowly from the nape to the end. Follow the motion of the brush with your other hand. This cuts down on static. Brush your hair as outlined above. Then style as desired.

As far as very curly haired folks...I would imagine they'd prefer a wide tooth comb since curly hair would have to be handled very, very gently if brushed.

Not only is brushing good for your hair, but good for the scalp and gives your hair follicles a workout as well.

growing2shine
November 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Well I love my BBB! :D I do have several combs, but if my hair is damp or dry it's almost impossible to comb my hair, but easy to brush. My roots is being pulled and my hair snaps! I can only use my wide tooth comb when my hair is dripping wet. (I am always very carefull nomatter how I detangle. I always start from the ends and slowly work my way up.)

But it depends on what works on your hair! :)

terrylillyd
November 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I untangle my hair first with a wide tooth comb. Then I brush it with a boar brush which finishes it off nicely.

luxepiggy
November 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM
George Michael, world renowned "Czar of Long Hair" (maestro of long hair care), recommended brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush, every morning, right after you got up.

His regimen was 100 strokes per day BUT to begin slowly and work up to that amount. Say, 25 strokes a day, adding 5 more per day until you reached 100.

The boar bristle brush is made of hair which understands the structure of your hair.

The Way you brush can drastically affect the quality of your hair.

He recommended bending at the waist, and letting your hair fall in front of you, like a curtain. (Do NOT flip it forward, that only engenders snarls!).

Make sure you finger comb - then take a wide tooth comb and gently take a few strands. Use the wide tooth comb and working from the bottom of the strand upwards, comb a small section, then go a little further up the strand and comb again, and so forth, until you reach the scalp. Repeat until all your hair is thoroughly combed.

The thing with brushing is, you DO NOT just begin to brush. Get rid of the mats/snarls/tangles first!

With your hair thorougly combed out, take your brush and brush your hair slowly from the nape to the end. Follow the motion of the brush with your other hand. This cuts down on static. Brush your hair as outlined above. Then style as desired.

As far as very curly haired folks...I would imagine they'd prefer a wide tooth comb since curly hair would have to be handled very, very gently if brushed.

Not only is brushing good for your hair, but good for the scalp and gives your hair follicles a workout as well.

This is so interesting! I never realized brushing was supposed to confer benefits other than detangling! Almost makes me want to buy a brush! I'm kind of lazy though (^(oo)^)

For the record, I have used neither a brush nor a comb on my hair since 2001. I fingercomb in the shower and while my hair is drying.

Nae
November 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
For those with straight hair or slightly wavy hair brushing, in my opinion is just fine. If you are a curly and brush it out...........whoa. You end up looking like you stuck your finger in a light socket.

IStand4u
November 18th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I may be a curly hair but honestly, combing ruins my hair to no end! (I know it's opposite but whatever)... I use the wooden brush from the Body Shop as well as their wooden detangling comb (only in the shower though!). Since I actually almost never wear my hair curly I brush it, braid it, leave it. I only ever wear my hair curly if I have just washed it, and yes, I brush it wet (OMG! I know, it's a long hair sin, especially for curly hair!)

Like I said though, I'm kinda backwards, so is my hair... my hair breaks when dry, not wet. My hair rejects dye (doesn't matter what kind), chemical as well as natural. Yes even henna doesn't fully stay on my hair for more than 2 months no matter how long I keep it on.

But back on topic. I brush my hair, my hair holds up to it, I like brushing my hair. It's not just for people with straight or lightly wavy hair, it's for anyone and everyone who has hair who can 1) deal with it, and 2) like it.

:cheese:

This is just me though :)

misstwist
November 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I've been using the GM method Madora described for a few weeks now and my hair is much shinier and better behaved.

I use a Denman for styling brushing.

Carolyn
November 18th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I think it depends you your hair type. You might want to fill in your hair stats. Knowing what kind of hair you have might help us answer your questions. I brush with a Mason Pearson Mixed Popular brush. I always detangle with my fingers or my Mebco detangling comb first. I find a brush without the ball tips works best for me.

CaityBear
November 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Brushing is okay or even good for some people. I have BBB that I tried to use...but I really don't get around to it often. I usually just comb my hair. I don't use any other brushes though.

But I also have straight hair.

In general, if you have curly hair, brushing will be bad as already stated.

mariika
November 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Well when you have hair like this:
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/6oct26small.jpg
And when you brush it it looks like this:
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/nov15brushedfrizzyhairsmall.jpg

Brushing is probably not a good idea! :laugh:
Haha)) Wonderful hair!! My hair goes frizzy just like yours after brushing...

LaurelSpring
November 18th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I do like my Tangle Teaser and my hairsense horn comb. Every time I try to use the BBB it doesnt feel right on my hair. I do like to stimulate my scalp with it, but then I take a fine baby brush and move the oils down the shaft. This seems to work well and does not feel damaging at all.