PDA

View Full Version : Hair Typing for Confused Strands

Antipodienne
November 17th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hi there!

I decided to let my hair dry down today, something that I hardly ever do since I am very much pro-damp bunning. I figured this would make a great opportunity to get advice from all of you experts about my type.
I typically guess my hair to be in the 1c/2a range, but as you can see, there are quite a few bone straight sections mixed in with my wavies. What's the verdict? 1a and 2a?

TIA!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/Pearlsintern/2HairTyping11-17-10.jpg
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/Pearlsintern/HairTyping11-17-10.jpg

BrightEyes7
November 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I'd say your typed correctly. You got the straighter wavy going on but also some defined wavy.

ETA: here is an article to help you find your true hair type!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=164

GRU
November 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm going to chime in with 2a, with the potential for 2b. I think you're definitely out of the 1 range, though.

xoxophelia
November 17th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I would have thought 2b because your waves are a little bit tighter or shorter.

lapushka
November 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I would have thought 2b because your waves are a little bit tighter or shorter.

Seconding that!

Antipodienne
November 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Ooh, really?!?! I kinda always hoped I was more into the 2b range. I spend entirely too much time trying to coax my waves into curls.

I think the reason it often ends up looking so much straighter is that in additions to those portions that are straight, if I leave it all down I am incessantly tugging at it because it tickles and drives me nuts. You have no idea how difficult it was to NOT TOUCH IT while I was letting it dry today! :)

So we'll go with solid 2a, with option of stepping up to 2b, then. It's like I got the Special Surprise Hair Combo Pack--Deluxe!

Roseate
November 17th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'd call it 2a. Especially with wavy hair, variation is common- if I was to list all the types of waves and wurls on my head I'd be a 2a/b/c/3a! I just split the difference, personally.

BrightEyes7
November 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Have you tried plopping to dry? I find my hair normally dries mostly straight but with plopping I could get solid 2c hair.

Antipodienne
November 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
No, I haven't tried plopping, but I'll definitely give it a shot. I wear my hair down maybe twice per year, so I don't get a whole lot of opportunity to try out my waves.

ericthegreat
November 17th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Its not unusual for someone to have different types of hair textures all on the same head. I can see what you mean. It looks like the length and weight of your hair is pulling your the canopy and crown sections of your hair straight, whereas the length from your shoulders down to your ends are very wavy. I would say that you actually have a mix of 2a and 2b on your head, but you mostly have 2b. It looks as if your waves might get more pronounced as your hair gets longer. :)

Kome
November 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Definately 2b. I am 1c/2a and I get waves, but not nearly as many as you have. Mine are a lot bigger and looser.

Antipodienne
December 1st, 2010, 02:42 AM
Ok, attempted plopping with some success, I have to be careful with that because for some reason it makes my hair want to frizz. I used a terry towel, though, so next time I'll give a smoother fabric a shot. Ahhh, to have squiggyflop's wonderful giant spiral curl...

GRU
December 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM
I just use an old t-shirt.... soft, smooth, and absorbent!

aenflex
December 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM
Your hair is awesome!!!!

spidermom
December 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM
Wow; pretty hair! It looks like some of your wavies are actually spirals.